$399 PS3 @ BB on OCT 28th

Now MS needs to really quick make the normal 360 come with a 40GB HDD, and it'll remain a clear choice.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']At this point, this is only news not a deal.[/quote]true ..who knows it might become a deal in 2 weeks

i am so tempted !!!! i am a big 360 fan but i feel like PS3 might be the choice of the future.........

[quote name='zizo79']i am so tempted !!!! i am a big 360 fan but i feel like PS3 might be the choice of the future.........[/QUOTE]

The console still lacks a compelling reason to buy it over the 360, even if they were the same price. I own it and it's a Blu-Ray player. The software for the system doesn't arrive until next year, and I'm curious to see just how gimped this PS3 is compared to the $500 model.

[quote name='BlizzFan']The console still lacks a compelling reason to buy it over the 360, even if they were the same price. I own it and it's a Blu-Ray player. The software for the system doesn't arrive until next year, and I'm curious to see just how gimped this PS3 is compared to the $500 model.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing - are they going to strip features from the 40GB model (kinda like they did to the 20GB model if I recall correctly)?

Sony is putting out way to many Skus. This is getting crazy I can't seem to make up my mind if i'll ever get one if they keep changing their product.

[quote name='Oxygen']I was wondering the same thing - are they going to strip features from the 40GB model (kinda like they did to the 20GB model if I recall correctly)?[/quote]From how it looks now the 40 GIG model with feature:
40 Gigs (duh!)
2 USB ports (down from 4)
Spierman 3 Blu-Ray packin
WiFi Enabled
NO card reader

So basicly you lose 20 gigs 2 usb ports and a card reader from the current 60 gig model. Oh and no emotion engine but oh well.

[quote name='Bazz']Sony is putting out way to many Skus. This is getting crazy I can't seem to make up my mind if i'll ever get one if they keep changing their product.[/quote]
that`s true it almost looks like sony is desperate

Pics or GFTO.

Oh, wait, there are pics.

In any case, this isn't a specific deal, and it's been covered in other threads elsewhere around CAG.

Don't forget, this will most likely work with the 5 free movies deal, which was just recently extended (and which mentions the new model PS3).

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']From how it looks now the 40 GIG model with feature:
40 Gigs (duh!)
WiFi Enabled
NO card reader

So basicly you lose 20 gigs 2 usb ports and a card reader from the current 60 gig model. Oh and no emotion engine but oh well.[/QUOTE]

No emotion engine = suckage. Upscaling PS2 player is hawt.

[quote name='Foo228']...and i just read the article where sony dismissed the rumors of the ps3 being false haha

good find op[/QUOTE]

They've denied every single rumor that ended up being true, pretty much. "No new psp model, no ps3 price cut, no dual shock, etc. etc."

[quote name='mtxbass1']Don't forget, this will most likely work with the 5 free movies deal, which was just recently extended (and which mentions the new model PS3).[/QUOTE]

Man that is a good deal. I might just cash in my warranty for the $600 model, have $200 in credit, and get the free movies.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']FIANLLY. Now to put my $400 of trade in credit to use!

Shame it comes with Spiderman 3, I can't stand those movies.[/QUOTE]
eh, I'd buy it from you for $10.

The more I think about it the more of a blow this is to the 360 if the PS3 includes built in wifi.

360 + HD DVD + wireless adapter ... $350 + 180 + 100 = $630

PS3 (blu ray and wifi built in) ... $400.

This just reminds me of the Speedy incident all over again (and best of luck to him, BTW). Hopefully no trouble this time.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The more I think about it the more of a blow this is to the 360 if the PS3 includes built in wifi.

PS3 (blu ray and wifi built in) ... $400.[/quote]Wasn't that the case at launch too? It's even cheaper considering all those add-ons, but it was still cheaper then.

Sony needs to quit with all the SKUs already.

Oh I'm so torn.

I've been waiting to pick up the 360 because it has more than ten games I want...BUT i don't have any gaming time right now and I'm finally in the market for a next-gen player because I should be getting an HDTV soon. I don't want to go for HD-DVD because it's gonna be dead in less than two years (unless the WB goes to the HDDVD camp) which means I'm going for Blu-Ray, meaning the PS3 is the best way to go for now.

And it might be coming with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray? Count me in Sony.

next summer: 80gb drops to 400, 100gb edition with game, movie, hdmi cable, complete backwards compatibility for $599.99.

Tempting, tempting... if only I have more time to play this semester. :roll:

however, isn't this more appropriate in the gaming and industry news thread? or the PS3 thread? I wonder.

[quote name='SL4IN']no emotion engine makes me not want it anymore....[/quote]

That doesn't make sense to me. I'd pressume this is somesort of mistranslation since backward capabilities are now software emulated. & to my understand this is added on via upgrading the firmware. I suppose nothing can be proven until an official statement from Sony (perhaps on the 12th) or I could be wrong...

[quote name='rodeojones903']The more I think about it the more of a blow this is to the 360 if the PS3 includes built in wifi.

PS3 (blu ray and wifi built in) ... $400.[/quote]

Again though, this is ASSuming some who only want a GAME system to play GAMES even LOOK at the stupid high def movie playing capabilities and do more than scoff at that function.

Also, wifi isn't a big deal to some(me and others), so they could strip that out too and add back in the BC via hardware, which would be more useful to me in the long run. Then again, I've always kept my old systems or rebought them to play the games for THAT system, so maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal at all to me.

Either way, I like all the skewed views about how people 'NEED' to buy a high def DVD player for the 360 to be 'whole'. Keep them up, that really shows your bias. Only reasons, aside from co developing the format, that Sony put in the Blu-Ray to the PS3 were to push off their shiny new format, which also is pretty much piracy proof for now, which was losing them money on the 'old' DVD format. Cheap and affordable ftw for me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I like all the skewed views about how people 'NEED' to buy a high def DVD player for the 360 to be 'whole'.[/QUOTE]

No one is saying that it's needed, just that the PS3 is quickly becoming a better hardware buy. Talk about skewed, biased opinions.

[quote name='coldwine']No one is saying that it's needed, just that the PS3 is quickly becoming a better hardware buy. Talk about skewed, biased opinions.[/quote]

Well, many people say you 'need' the 360+an HD-DVD drive+wifi adapter+etc+etc+etc to equal a PS3.

And while that may be true, NOT everyone NEEDS those asinine extra functions that Sony added to their system with the other two systems out there. I know I wouldn't. And personally, to me, Sony releasing so many SKU's is like MS, they're confusing the piss out of potential new PS3 owners with so many 'versions' of their system.

Now, if this $399 40 gb model would only make Gamestop drop that 20 gb PS3 they have listed on their site by another $50-100, I'd be content enough to consider buying it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, many people say you 'need' the 360+an HD-DVD drive+wifi adapter+etc+etc+etc to equal a PS3.[/quote]

Well, you don't need it, since its inclusion from the PS3 and exclusion from the 360 make them incomparable hardware wise (to a degree). True, you don't NEED the HD DVD drive for the 360, but if you don't think the extra disc space that BR provides will manifest itself in more and more tangible ways over this console generation, you're fooling yourself. Moreover, the dunderheaded decision to release the "core" 360 has made it such that developers can't use the 360 HDD to reduce load times, stream data more efficiently. That's something the PS3 can do. So, no, they aren't really comparable, but to act like they are and they aren't, and to think that the advantages the PS3 has hardwarewise will never show up this generation? That's plum silly.

And while that may be true, NOT everyone NEEDS those asinine extra functions that Sony added to their system with the other two systems out there. I know I wouldn't. And personally, to me, Sony releasing so many SKU's is like MS, they're confusing the piss out of potential new PS3 owners with so many 'versions' of their system.

You should be a PC gamer, since you seem to want to put things together a la carte, contingent upon your individual wants and needs. Otherwise, you can simultaneously complain that (1) Sony needs to change the PS3 to suit your needs and (2) also stop releasing so many SKUs..but you'll continue to look silly in making those arguments within a sentence of each other.

As for SKUs, I agree, though it remains to be seen how much this new console differs. I'm unconvinced that taking out two USB ports will substantially reduce the cost of manufacturing the PS3 console enough that it's a worthwhile change (not to mention the costs of changing the production lines for something so tiny).

Then again, they are taking out what they consider "asinine," so shouldn't you be jumping for joy?

Now, if this $399 40 gb model would only make Gamestop drop that 20 gb PS3 they have listed on their site by another $50-100, I'd be content enough to consider buying it.

Let me ask you a question: do you even want a PS3? If so, why and what for? I'm convinced you're just a perpetual grouse who likes to point out that the PS3 is so expensive time and time again, as if it's a revelatory argument on your behalf.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, you don't need it, since its inclusion from the PS3 and exclusion from the 360 make them incomparable hardware wise (to a degree). True, you don't NEED the HD DVD drive for the 360, but if you don't think the extra disc space that BR provides will manifest itself in more and more tangible ways over this console generation, you're fooling yourself. Moreover, the dunderheaded decision to release the "core" 360 has made it such that developers can't use the 360 HDD to reduce load times, stream data more efficiently. That's something the PS3 can do. So, no, they aren't really comparable, but to act like they are and they aren't, and to think that the advantages the PS3 has hardwarewise will never show up this generation? That's plum silly.[/quote]

Honestly, I still don't have a problem with the disc space thing, since graphics are immaterial to me. As long as they're viewable and not blurred as hell, I could care less bout high def graphical capabilities. And personally, like so many others, I would NEVER even consider a core 360, since it means I'd have to plunk MORE money on memory cards and that's a trap Sony had me stuck in LAST gen. Only company to still be doing that bs route is Nintendo this gen.

[quote name='mykevermin']You should be a PC gamer, since you seem to want to put things together a la carte, contingent upon your individual wants and needs. Otherwise, you can simultaneously complain that (1) Sony needs to change the PS3 to suit your needs and (2) also stop releasing so many SKUs..but you'll continue to look silly in making those arguments within a sentence of each other.[/quote]

Well, had Sony not included so much crap that they seem willing to remove with the newer SKU's they're putting out now in the FIRST place, they wouldn't have had the 20, 60, 80 and now possibly the 40 gb models, now would they?

I'm all for uniformity in my consoles, make it with ONE set of specs and KEEP it there. And ya know, actually asking the potential buying public wouldn't of hurt I think. Well, unless they asked the techno and videophiles, cause then there would've been more extraneous crap added in from the get go and the price would've been $1200.

[quote name='mykevermin']As for SKUs, I agree, though it remains to be seen how much this new console differs. I'm unconvinced that taking out two USB ports will substantially reduce the cost of manufacturing the PS3 console enough that it's a worthwhile change (not to mention the costs of changing the production lines for something so tiny).

Then again, they are taking out what they consider "asinine," so shouldn't you be jumping for joy?

Let me ask you a question: do you even want a PS3? If so, why and what for? I'm convinced you're just a perpetual grouse who likes to point out that the PS3 is so expensive time and time again, as if it's a revelatory argument on your behalf.[/quote]

Actually, I am kind of jumping for joy, but wish they would drop that 40gb about another $100-150, THEN I'd be overjoyed to get one, even if it had the crap BC since I plan on keeping my PS2 anyway. And, I plan on getting a PS3 for playing GAMES, OFFLINE and NOTHING ELSE. So, to me, there will still be other crap in the PS3 that I don't need, but removing Blu-Ray functionality at this point would have devs running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Plus, I don't think it's going to survive as a 'next gen' format outside of the PS3 in all honesty, but might as well keep the 'space' for gaming, if nothing else.

I think that the majority of regular consumers AREN'T ready for a new video format yet, let alone a new broadcast standard, which is why the govt in the US has been pushing back the analog signal cutoff date for a while now. Plus, there's cheapasses out there like me, who don't feel they should be forced to upgrade when the tvs and other electronics TO upgrade to are still in the ridiculous(over $200 for a smaller model like 20" lcd tv, over $150-200 for 'hd' dvd players, over $10-15 for 'hd dvds )price ranges they are.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly, I still don't have a problem with the disc space thing, since graphics are immaterial to me.[/QUOTE]

I just stopped reading right there. Don't patronize me with your sanctimonious "I'm so agnostic and neutral" stance.

You're just a whiner.

If you think that storage space is always about graphics and never about content, then you're either just (1) dead wrong or (2) willfully ignoring that games like Unreal Tournament III are finding difficulty with the limited space on the disc because of (wait for it...wait for it...wait for it) GAME CONTENT! There's a reason that some of the mods and levels that will appear on the PS3 are only going to show up on the 360 as DLC (free or not is unknown, of course). That reason? Disc space.

[quote name='mykevermin']I just stopped reading right there. Don't patronize me with your sanctimonious "I'm so agnostic and neutral" stance.

You're just a whiner.

If you think that storage space is always about graphics and never about content, then you're either just (1) dead wrong or (2) willfully ignoring that games like Unreal Tournament III are finding difficulty with the limited space on the disc because of (wait for it...wait for it...wait for it) GAME CONTENT! There's a reason that some of the mods and levels that will appear on the PS3 are only going to show up on the 360 as DLC (free or not is unknown, of course). That reason? Disc space.[/quote]

Such big words for an internet message board poster, this is a rarity for posters online. But really, what could they add as far as game content(mods and such) that hasn't been done to death already? Then again, I guess I shouldn't talk, since I am definitely NOT a FPS gamer. And again, I don't mind switching discs for the 'bonus content', but that's another topic altogether.

I will say that, while the PS3 has me on the fence because of price and crap I won't use, I am equally on the fence with the 360 due to the allegedly rampant console failures. The Wii? I won't even bother buying one, since the Gamecube I bought last gen didn't even get taken out of the packaging.

So, to sum up for those who 'won't read past even the first sentence in a reply: I don't want a PS3 yet because it's outta my price range that I'm willing to pay for it in, I don't want a 360 because of the rampant failures and I don't want a Wii because I didn't even bother with the GC I had last gen.

While that last one wasn't a truly valid reason I suppose, I don't feel like wasting money on anything that will just sit and collect dust.

Hopefully the ps3 will keep dropping price as often in the future. If it keeps it up, I might actually get one around the time MGS4 comes out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Such big words for an internet message board poster, this is a rarity for posters online. But really, what could they add as far as game content(mods and such) that hasn't been done to death already? Then again, I guess I shouldn't talk, since I am definitely NOT a FPS gamer. And again, I don't mind switching discs for the 'bonus content', but that's another topic altogether.

I will say that, while the PS3 has me on the fence because of price and crap I won't use, I am equally on the fence with the 360 due to the allegedly rampant console failures. The Wii? I won't even bother buying one, since the Gamecube I bought last gen didn't even get taken out of the packaging.

So, to sum up for those who 'won't read past even the first sentence in a reply: I don't want a PS3 yet because it's outta my price range that I'm willing to pay for it in, I don't want a 360 because of the rampant failures and I don't want a Wii because I didn't even bother with the GC I had last gen.

While that last one wasn't a truly valid reason I suppose, I don't feel like wasting money on anything that will just sit and collect dust.[/QUOTE]

big words? Meh. I'm just saying that EVERY post of yours, and they are rather frequent, finds something to bitch about, complain about, ignore, or weasel your way around. I don't think I've ever seen you say something you like or enjoy; so far as I can tell, you don't eventually want a PS3 because you'll use it. You'll eventually want one just because it is cheap.

You have nothing to say, frankly, except to whine and bitch. I'm not saying this to be Cap'n cool guy, I'm saying this because every post of yours shows that you do nothing but piss and moan about how not everything is to your liking. I hope you aren't married, because you make those "glass half empty" folks look like fuckin' saints by comparison.

Let me put it this way: I point out that, at this very moment, there is reasonable evidence that game developers may be hitting the cap on what they can do with the space on the DVD drive. Your immediate response (to a phenomenon that affects ALL OF US gamers) is to say that you don't think graphics matter. Well, that's grand, but I wasn't talking about graphics. So, to humor you changing the question on me, I point to UTIII, and show that ACTUAL FLIPPIN' CONTENT is teeming over the edge of a game on DVD, so the utility of BR is (if only slightly) showing its advantage. Again, an industrywide phenomenon that affects ALL GAMERS. Your response? YOU, *personally*, don't care for FPS or mods.

Again, again, again, not the fucking point. The point is that DVD is on the verge of being just too small for some games. Remember: a game doesn't have to be 50GB in size to prove the relevance of BR. It has to be just one iota larger than what a DVD can hold. If it's video today, and graphics tomorrow, and mods the next day, will you continue to take a "me, me, me!" approach to rationalizing away every single reason that DVD can't remain king forever, or will you eventually admit that, whether it's game content you care about or not, developers are coming closer and closer to the edge of their discs?

Personally, I don't care for racers, so PGR shouldn't bother me no matter what it has ('cept Geometry Wars :drool:). That they had to create a workaround for night and day lighting doesn't impact the game all that much, IMO. But it is a point of consideration, whether I care about the game or not. It's not about you; it's not about me. It's about patterns and happenings among developers.

You've ignored two important questions I asked: do you want a PS3, and if so, why and what for? Also, how can you simultaneously hold a position that claims you wish Sony would take out all the stuff you don't want, while also lamenting the number of SKUs and revisions they put out?

But what does the loss off the emotion engine really do besides lose 100% compatibility? I dont tink wed be left with a 50% compatibility rate.

[quote name='hhhdx4']But what does the loss off the emotion engine really do besides lose 100% compatibility? I dont tink wed be left with a 50% compatibility rate.[/quote]EE means about 100% compatibility with older titles, though it won't upscale with the EE HW emulation. The SW emulation will do the upscaling, though doesn't promise 100% emulation.

With an EE-enabled PS3, you have choice of either. Without, you only have the SW emulation.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']From how it looks now the 40 GIG model with feature:
40 Gigs (duh!)
WiFi Enabled
NO card reader

So basicly you lose 20 gigs 2 usb ports and a card reader from the current 60 gig model. Oh and no emotion engine but oh well.[/QUOTE]

too lazy to look iot up

what is a card reader??

bread's done
Back