3DS Already $169.99 @ some Canadian COSTCOs YMMV

smoger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Someone on reddit spotted 3ds' for $169.99 at their local Costco. Others in the thread seem to be having mixed luck.. but it seems to be the case in more than one store so it's worth checking out if you're interested.

Getting the free games and the price drop and not having to return/rebuy later is a great deal IMO.

(Huge) Image:
Q8gOM.jpg

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/j3ibw/costco_nintendo_3ds_now_16999/

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 3DS at Costco in June, and was planning on price matching it when it drops on Aug 12. If it's already dropped I am going to try it tomorrow. I love Costco's satisfaction guaranteed return policy.

I work at one in Grand Rapids, MI. I'm headed in for the morning right now, so I'll report back for here, at least. That sign looks like they dropped the big awesome accessories bundle we were putting with it, though :(

[quote name='Xellos2099']tempting but if i buy it at bb there will be reward zone point and gamer point hmmmmm[/QUOTE]

was under the impression hardware does not qualify for gamer points

Some have already mentioned this, but apparently this is only at certain Costco's in Canada... which is why it's in both English and French. I don't think there's a single report of anyone finding it at this price in the US.

The 3DS is sold as a bundle at Costco with a charger and case. Item number 589999 for $259.99. No drop yet at my store and apparently they won't do a refund -- you'd have to actually return the item and buy a different one.

[quote name='Decker']The 3DS is sold as a bundle at Costco with a charger and case. Item number 589999 for $259.99. No drop yet at my store and apparently they won't do a refund -- you'd have to actually return the item and buy a different one.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they have different policy for video game hardware, but I've gotten a price adjustment on a TV that dropped in price three weeks after I bought it. I think they returned it under the old price and then sold it back under the new price. But I just brought in the receipt, not the TV.

[quote name='orale1226']Just when my costco card expired :whee:[/QUOTE]

Dont worry nintendo dropped the price, costco just did it sooner. Soon enough it will be 170 everywhere.

Besides I wouldnt be in a rush to buy a 3ds because there arent any good games on it or even coming out soon. Considering a few I might have been interested in were canceled or pushed back a year I dont care.

Id rather keep playing my dsixl that has better battery life and a much larger screen. I might get a 3ds in a year or so if some decent games come out for it that arent just nintendo brand franchise jerkoffs.

As of now I can think of a hundred other things Id rather spend 170 bucks on then a ds with a smaller screen, a 3d gimmick I dont care for and no games.

[quote name='K_G']I don't know if they have different policy for video game hardware, but I've gotten a price adjustment on a TV that dropped in price three weeks after I bought it. I think they returned it under the old price and then sold it back under the new price. But I just brought in the receipt, not the TV.[/QUOTE]

I spoke to a manager who said as long as the price drops on the same item number, it won't be a problem to get a refund on the difference.

None of the stores we randomly chose to search had dropped inside the US. This might be Canada only for now. On the bright side, Nintendogs, Steel Diver and Pilotwings are all on sale at my store for 27.99 and likely nationwide.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Does costco have a price adjustment policy in US? If so, how long?[/QUOTE]

Well Costco has a satisfaction guarantee return policy, which basically means while you are a Costco member, you can return your purchases at any time if you are not satisfied with it. (Televisions, Computers, Laptps, Cameras, Camcorders, and IPods only have 90 days, and don't apply). However, the Nintendo 3Ds does not fall into that category, so technically you could say you are not satisfy that the price dropped so quick, and you want a price adjustment when it drops. Worst comes to worst if the decline then just return your 3DS and re buy it again at the lower price.

Checked VEGAS that was a no-go on the lower price. I think generally costco will match price drops within 30 days on any item and you do not have to actually return what you bought, so that may be an option for some.

Thing with costco is the 3dsssss are in a "bundle" and who knows how it would go if the new lower price version does not come bundled the same as the current. FOR sure you could return what you buy now and re-buy something else, I have been a member for years and am positive that would work. What might not work is if you have anything "saved" on the first system, I don't own one so I wouldn't know if you can easily transfer things off there if you are returning it.

Just in case this is going on somewhere in the US I'll try and hit up some other Costcos later this week.

[quote name='crax']Thing with costco is the 3dsssss are in a "bundle" and who knows how it would go if the new lower price version does not come bundled the same as the current. FOR sure you could return what you buy now and re-buy something else, I have been a member for years and am positive that would work. What might not work is if you have anything "saved" on the first system, I don't own one so I wouldn't know if you can easily transfer things off there if you are returning it.

Just in case this is going on somewhere in the US I'll try and hit up some other Costcos later this week.[/QUOTE]

Okay, about this : Yes, you'd have to return the bundle. But if you later returned the very same 3DS you got before the price adjustment, you would not get your free games as they are tied to the actual unit, not to your account. There is an alternative, though : unlike most stores, at Costco when you buy an item like this, your SN is not recorded on the receipt -- it can't be since the actual unit is only picked up after you already paid for it and can show a receipt to the woman behind the cage. So if you needed to do a return and re-buy later and let's say they no longer sold 3DS bundles, you could just buy the identical 3DS and return it on your original 3DS bundle receipt as long as you still have your other bundled items (don't lose that case or car charger, or the reciept).

Another reminder: if you are planning on upgrading from the DSi and you were going to return that DSi back to Costco or turn it into Game Stop : Buy the new 3DS first. You need to have both systems present before you can permanently and unidirectionally transfer your DSiWare pruchases and photos from the DSi to the 3DS. So do that first, then return or sell your DSi. There's really no need for both.

Nice, saves people the hassle of price matching, lol. I'm an early adopter though, and I'm happy with Nintendo's decision to give me 20 free games :D

So the thread should be closed just because it doesn't apply to you? What about canadian cags? Should they just go F themselves? I agree that it should be moved to the regional section, but not closed.

I checked out the Costco in Auburn Hills, MI and nothing there, I asked if they could match price with another Costco and they said they don't. Waiting game now...

[quote name='irc_email']So the thread should be closed just because it doesn't apply to you? What about canadian cags? Should they just go F themselves? I agree that it should be moved to the regional section, but not closed.[/QUOTE]

No, it should be closed because it doesn't apply to a majority of the people who have posted in here and it would keep people like the person above me from driving out to Costco.

Move it or close it, either option works.

This isn't the type of deal where people can't call.. it's obviously not a mistake or in limited quantities or anything.. so no one has to drive anywhere.

Theoretically, couldn't you buy the thing now and just say "it's $80 cheaper now, give me $80" within the 30 days? Who cares if the bundle itself isn't lower, just call it even at $80.

TS, just change the title from "*some*" to Canada, since you already know is only in Canada, IDK why you still haven't changed the title to be more appropriate and I appreciate your posting :cool:

I think what everyone in this thread it forgetting is that if you visit the Eshop before 8/12/11 you are in the ambassadors club and get 20 free virtual console games. So buying at Costco gives you the system for 169.99 + 20 free VC games. Even if gba games are 5.00 when they come out this is 100.00 in savings.

^ yes that's the whole point, and why as I work in Niagara Falls, NY I'm wondering if I bother popping over the border at some point before August 12th. Or is there another way to visit the (nintendo 3ds) e-shop prior (without having one)? lol

[quote name='Carlanga']TS, just change the title from "*some*" to Canada, since you already know is only in Canada, IDK why you still haven't changed the title to be more appropriate and I appreciate your posting :cool:[/QUOTE]

Oops.. I don't often create threads here and I'm used to only mods being able to change titles from the other forums I'm on.. so I kinda just assumed it would be the same here.

..and now I know I was wrong.. thanks!

bread's done
Back