3DS Demo Kiosk now in stores!

omster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
If you been waiting to check out the 3DS, now is your chance!

My Impression:
The hardware looks much better in person. The pictures online remind me a bit of the original DS, which wasn't much of a looker, at all. It was in the aqua blue color, which also looks better than expected. Overall, this thing definitely feels high quality.

As for the the screen, it adds a very nice effect. The color also seems to look better with its on. If you're tall, it going to be a struggle to use the kiosk. It was well below my waist, and if you want to use the 3D screen, be prepared to bend over. This made trying out the kiosk a pain since you need to be pretty close to the screen to see the 3D, so I didn't really try out the game (Piiot Wings). When I wanted to straighten my back a bit, I would move to far back and would go cross-eyed. Everything else was fine though. My problem isn't with the 3DS, just the kiosk.

Overall, I was impressed. I might even consider purchasing one before the inevitable revision if enough games that interest me are released.

EDIT: My buddy has informed that the 3DS is held on by a magnet and I could've pulled it off. I did try to pull, but not hard enough. I'm paranoid about trying too much, as I've had alarms go off when I'm holding a product.

EDIT 2: Check the link to find a kiosk near you. Kiosk Locator.
Thanks confoosious!

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what sucks? I drove 40 miles YESTERDAY to Best Buy's only to leave empty handed, and guess what? Today they start having them!

Not happy

[quote name='0_0']You know what sucks? I drove 40 miles YESTERDAY to Best Buy's only to leave empty handed, and guess what? Today they start having them!

Not happy[/QUOTE]

I hope you had another reason you for going, otherwise I'd recommend calling them next time. #-o

Must resist temptation to check out the 3DS demo machine. Actually I work like a minute's drive away from best buy so it's pretty challenging.

I guess I don't want to check it out then realize it's x amount of days until I get my preorder. Especially if they have pilotwings, the sequel I been waiting 12+ years for now.

Although it's good to know they are out.

Screens are too small, 3D effect I would turn off after 5mins, game's aren't there yet, $250 is too much for what they're selling you IMO. See ya next upgrade and/or price drop 3DS.

Stopped by Best Buy and did a training level of pilotwings on my lunch. The 3D was about what I expected.. if you've seen a 3D movie in the past year, that's about what it looks like on a smaller screen. Slider feels good and the blue unit was better looking in person... though I sill am keeping the black version preordered. Wasn't hard at all to find the sweet spot and I'm about 6'1 and picked it right up and there it was. Still pretty excited and now I'm just going to have to decide on Pilotwings or Steel Diver for my first game... or both?

tried it today... my two cents...

i'll agree that the hardware looks more impressive in person.

as for the 3d effect though... meh. i mean, it works. but i never expected it to NOT work. i guess i just don't see the point. it's nifty and all, but i'd imagine that the novelty will wear off quickly. plus, the slider didn't work for me... think it's just my eyes. i saw no difference when playing around with it, the effect was either on or off. no in-between.

i don't think the effect would give me a headache though, even if i used it for a long period of time. i do think that holding the thing in the "sweet spot" would grow tiresome though. it's a bigger "sweet spot" than i expected, but still... at a certain angle, with the 3d on, i saw a black screen. not good.

thankfully, the 2d graphics are REALLY nice, especially for a nintendo handheld. so at least it can fall back on that later on down the road. and the slider pad is fantastic... very natural... and opens the system up to a lot of possibilities.

but i don't personally do much handheld gaming anymore that isn't on my iphone. so ultimately, i don't see any reason to spend $250 on this thing. if it was $150 it would be a steal, and honestly even then i'd just be thinking about it at launch. but the price is just too crazy for the final product, i think. it's a cool gadget, but i don't see the value yet, versus the cost.

[quote name='QiG']Stopped by Best Buy and did a training level of pilotwings on my lunch. The 3D was about what I expected.. if you've seen a 3D movie in the past year, that's about what it looks like on a smaller screen. Slider feels good and the blue unit was better looking in person... though I sill am keeping the black version preordered. Wasn't hard at all to find the sweet spot and I'm about 6'1 and picked it right up and there it was. Still pretty excited and now I'm just going to have to decide on Pilotwings or Steel Diver for my first game... or both?[/QUOTE]

I'm about the near same height, but I struggle to find a position that I was confortable in. Then again, I didn't know I could lift it out.

I would go with Steel Diver. If I were to get a 3DS now, that's the only game I would choose. Pilot Wings is too much like a console game. I don't won't want my portable to be like console. My console does it better. Plus Steel Diver is one of those games that take advantage of the unique dual screen.

[quote name='DocRamon']tried it today... my two cents...

i'll agree that the hardware looks more impressive in person.

as for the 3d effect though... meh. i mean, it works. but i never expected it to NOT work. i guess i just don't see the point. it's nifty and all, but i'd imagine that the novelty will wear off quickly. plus, the slider didn't work for me... think it's just my eyes. i saw no difference when playing around with it, the effect was either on or off. no in-between.

i don't think the effect would give me a headache though, even if i used it for a long period of time. i do think that holding the thing in the "sweet spot" would grow tiresome though. it's a bigger "sweet spot" than i expected, but still... at a certain angle, with the 3d on, i saw a black screen. not good.

thankfully, the 2d graphics are REALLY nice, especially for a nintendo handheld. so at least it can fall back on that later on down the road. and the slider pad is fantastic... very natural... and opens the system up to a lot of possibilities.

but i don't personally do much handheld gaming anymore that isn't on my iphone. so ultimately, i don't see any reason to spend $250 on this thing. if it was $150 it would be a steal, and honestly even then i'd just be thinking about it at launch. but the price is just too crazy for the final product, i think. it's a cool gadget, but i don't see the value yet, versus the cost.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure about the 3D until Iwata mentioned in his recent keynote on how they'll use it to fix the depth perception issues games have some times. Now they can make games from different perpectives since they don't need to rely on stuff like shadows. I'm very interested to see what they plan to do. E3 couldn't come sooner!

Yes, the graphics are a very welcome addition! 3D graphics on the DS made my eyes bleed. I agree on the headaches part too, I'd imagine if I could sit through a 3 hour 3D movie without problems, this should be more then fine.

Best Buy's kiosk setup was pretty crappy. I too had issues with picking it up. After bending over for quite a bit, an employee came over and brought up that it could actually be picked up. Seems the stand that supports it has a flat shelf that the 3DS rests on, leaving only an inch of space on each side. Whenever I would grab it to pick it up, I was actually grabbing the shelf, not the 3DS.

Steel Diver actively uses both screens? I could see that causing even more eyestrain issues...having to focus on the 3D top screen, then 2D bottom screen, and back again. I wouldn't be surprised if many games that heavily use the 3D effect only use the bottom screen for extra buttons or quick reference stuff.

I'm curious what games Iwata had in mind when he mentioned depth perception issues...I can't think of many games where a missed jump or faulty landing wasn't more of an issue with a bad camera than depth perception. Usually I rely more on the "stuff that is closer is bigger" thing than shadows.

I'm glad I read this thread so I had an idea how to handle my demo of the 3DS this morning. I easily picked it up from the station and pulled it as far as I could. Even being 5'3, I still wanted to pull it a bit more.

I could see the 3D immediately. Maximum was a little intense, and I found turning the 3D completely off to be a nice option when achieving the "sweet spot" is difficult. Finding the sweet spot when tethered to a demo station, for example, is difficult.

Pilotwings was dull to me, but then, I'm not a fan of that kind of game.

I left happy. The teal/blue color was better than I expected. Can't wait to get my launch 3DS. :D

Is there any way of knowing which Best Buys have these demo kiosks (other than calling your local stores)? Any list online?

[quote name='fuze9']Is there any way of knowing which Best Buys have these demo kiosks (other than calling your local stores)? Any list online?[/QUOTE]

A list would be nice. My local Best Buy did not have a kiosk when I went today and seemed sure they wouldn't have one before launch.

I want to take my kids (well, myself :) to a Best Buy this weekend. Hopefully one of the ones near us has one. Now I know to call ahead.

If you have trouble finding it, the word "kiosk" may be a misleading.. it's set up on a shelf on an endcap at my local best buy rather than a standalone display type kiosk.

I don't see how the word kiosk is misleading, that's what it is. I don't think anyone is searching the store for the 3DS kiosk, when it should obviously be in the video game department. I went straight there and found nothing 3DS related other than a piece of paper telling me it to preorder. Of course, I doubted I'd find the kiosk at that Best Buy because they never have anything I want anyway.

So they did have one at my Best Buy in Burbank, and I gotta say, I was a little disappointed. I mean, I'd heard about the narrow viewing angle - the 3D "sweet spot" - but man, was it finicky. I tried with various levels on the 3D slider, and you've gotta really work to get that 3D effect to work just right. The device itself has a nice build, but I really can't imagine using that thing in 3D on the go. A train, plane, or automobile would just ruin it. I'll definitely stick with my DSi XL until there are some visible improvements.

[quote name='Xiaan']I don't see how the word kiosk is misleading, that's what it is. I don't think anyone is searching the store for the 3DS kiosk, when it should obviously be in the video game department. I went straight there and found nothing 3DS related other than a piece of paper telling me it to preorder. Of course, I doubted I'd find the kiosk at that Best Buy because they never have anything I want anyway.[/QUOTE]

Duly noted... I just think of something like this when I hear the word kiosk:
Super-Slim-Kiosk-Information-Kiosk-Bank-Kiosk.jpg

It actually looks like this and is just on a shelf:
3DS-kiosk2.jpg

Point being: It's easy to miss

I played the Pilotwings demo a couple of days ago. I didn't really see the 3D part of it, maybe I didn't activate that feature. The control nub was comfortable, kind of like the PSP's, made of rubber instead of plastic.

Anyway, the game was pretty. Graphics seemed like a last generation game PS2/GCN/XBX. Overall, I think I might wait before getting a 3DS since I have a backlog of DS games.

I went and checked it out today. I wasn't very impressed. The 3D was ok, but the plane was the only thing that looked 3D to me. I don't like that you have to keep it perfectly straight to see the 3D. I can't say if it would bother my eyes after a while because I only messed with it for 5 minutes. The analog stick is a very nice feature on it.

Apparently an Adam Lambert look-a-like works at my Best Buy and was trying to tell me this is the greatest thing ever and totally worth $250. I had to disagree and walk away.

I also had trouble seeing any impressive 3D effects or maybe just expected too much. The Bestbuy employee was totally empathetic and agreed that many other customers had similar lackluster experiences. After 10mins, eye strain and a little dizziness did set in. I left disappointed, but I did enjoy the addition of the analog joypad on the system itself.

I tried the same demo stand again and this time the 3D part was on. It looked more like one of those optical illusions. The ones where you stare at a continuous picture (Magic Eye books from the 90s) and a 3D image, eventually jumped out at you.

The Pilotwings plane did that, appearing to jump out at you. After awhile for me, it seemed to hurt my eyes. I guess 3DS is not for me, I'll pick up a DSi XL before this model of 3DS. Having poor vision probably doesn't help.

Edit: I probably shouldn't let Pilotwings be a deal breaker on 3DS, maybe just not a day 1 purchase of a 3DS for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got to a kiosk too. There's definitely an online list somewhere saying which best buys have it. I just dont have the link.

Anyway, 3D worked fine for me (which is something I was worried about) but Pilotwings is unimpressive.

I'm considering steeldiver as my launch game. And maybe Bubble Bobble.

local bestbuy didnt have a kiosk, but lo and behold the Target right next to it did. May be worth calling around if you don't have a BB with a 3ds on display but still would like to try it pre-launch.

Well I decided might as well try one since it launches in 1 day 12 hrs and 5 mins for me. Checked the locator and not one within drivable range for me :cry:. Sucks too because I work like a minute drive from a best buy and target.

I had the same problem as the OP. Im 6'2 and was standing over the thing and was going cross eyed or what felt like I was drunk trying to focus on the tv. I didnt attempt on pulling it up though cause it felt pretty secure. I wanna give it a second chance.

Just went on eBay to check out the people trying to make money on them and was happy to see the bids stalling at $250ish. BIN for $299.99 was the normal price I saw. For $50 bucks I don't see how its worth all that trouble.

[quote name='GnarKills']I had the same problem as the OP. Im 6'2 and was standing over the thing and was going cross eyed or what felt like I was drunk trying to focus on the tv. I didnt attempt on pulling it up though cause it felt pretty secure. I wanna give it a second chance.

Just went on eBay to check out the people trying to make money on them and was happy to see the bids stalling at $250ish. BIN for $299.99 was the normal price I saw. For $50 bucks I don't see how its worth all that trouble.[/QUOTE]

You would never get $50 after it sold.. there is tax and then ebay fees. I think you would have to sell it for more than $315 to break even.

My impression from it was the 3D gave me a slight headache only playing it for about 5 minutes. If I was to get one, I doubt I would ever use the 3D feature due to that.

[quote name='Snake2715']You would never get $50 after it sold.. there is tax and then ebay fees. I think you would have to sell it for more than $315 to break even.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...that's why I was happy to see minimal profit.

[quote name='GnarKills']Exactly...that's why I was happy to see minimal profit.[/QUOTE]

Better to see a loss for those sellers... discourages them.

However mario 25th anniversary was like this as well... plentiful until about a week or two in..

Don't trust the kiosk locator folks. It's showing just one kiosk in my entire city, and I saw the 3DS in two Targets not listed on their map.

Been dying to try this. It definitely works, and I could see the depth in Pilot Wings. But I found the "sweet spot" to be really small. The slightest move off dead center and the screen became a mess. Plus, let's be realistic. This is a tiny image. The 3D just adds a bit of depth. There simply isn't enough real estate for it to be impressive. It's like looking into a little box instead of a little picture.

I probably played about 4 minutes. I did notice a tiny discomfort in my eyes a minute later. Not quite a headache, but I have no doubt that an hour session would have resulted in one.

It will be interesting to see how satisfied the public is after a week or two with the device.

I made a special trip to best buy for the demo and I was a bit disappointed. First off I know it's nintendo and the kiosk will be geared towards little kids but the screen was like waist high and a bad angle. I was leaning down and getting a weird double image thing going I am assuming because of the vertical angle. I played with the adjuster and it did help and the 3d was there and cool when I was able to see it. Pilotwings may have been a poor choice for a demo also. Seemed like I was playing a game in slow motion, I'm not sure if it gets a little speedier later on or always flying in mud.

I plan to buy one and really think the 3d will not be a problem for me, just that dam kiosk was setup to fail. I need to go back and just kneel on the ground and try it again maybe ha.

Gave it another shot today at my local Bestbuy. I was able to remove it from the base still tethered though.

I have to say the 3D part made me go cross-eyed/screwed up my eyes after a few minutes. I did enjoy more Pilotwings with the 3D slider switched to off/ in 2D though.

I would like a 3DS XL. I like the giant size of the DSi XL, but I like the analog stick on the 3DS. Maybe in five or so years, Nintendo might make one.

Just for fun code name: Super Gameboy Pocket Color Advance Micro SP player or 3DSi lite XL. lol

The 3ds kiosk in-stores really does the system injustice. Maybe it's the lighting, the restricted accessibility, or the singular Pilotwings demo ...but I've grown accustomed to the 3d screen playing at home and all the built-in apps (such as viewing & taking 3D photos, AR cards, and StreetPass/Mii functions) are pretty cool & eye-popping. I also had a bit of eyestrain and dizziness playing at the kiosk within a few minutes initially, but all my bad impressions of the device were pre-mature. I'm pretty content with my 3DS purchase as a whole.

I played the 3DS today at Gamestop for the first time on their demo kiosk. They had street fighter in it. I played around with the 3D slider, but it didn't seem to do very much. Are the graphics supposed to appear in 3D, as in projected above the screen? All I really got from it was that the game went from 3D models to almost 2D-esque flat models...

For me personally, all the games I played (SSFIV/RR/GR) shifted from a regular image to a gradual increase in depth of the background (like looking through a window or at one of those shoebox diorama displays). I agree, the models in the foreground do appear flat while the 3D is on. The only time I really peceived anything popping off the screen is via certain still 3D photos or scrolling thru some of the builti-in apps. The system is young and I think developers have room to grow in flushing out better 3D effects in future games.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']The 3ds kiosk in-stores really does the system injustice. Maybe it's the lighting, the restricted accessibility, or the singular Pilotwings demo ...but I've grown accustomed to the 3d screen playing at home and all the built-in apps (such as viewing & taking 3D photos, AR cards, and StreetPass/Mii functions) are pretty cool & eye-popping. I also had a bit of eyestrain and dizziness playing at the kiosk within a few minutes initially, but all my bad impressions of the device were pre-mature. I'm pretty content with my 3DS purchase as a whole.[/QUOTE]

The whole focus on achieving an individual's "sweet spot" for 3D viewing is really important. If you're forced to play slightly off of the ideal position, gaming quickly becomes uncomfortable and seems to cause vision issues.

I've had absolutely no problems or discomfort playing my 3DS at home. I think these demo stations are helpful for consumers, but it's not an ideal setup for the height of adults.

bread's done
Back