3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='teknomedic']Mad about price drop so soon... a little. Nintendo tossing a bone to early users... a surprise and very welcome jesture that makes me all warm and fuzzy.

...but if Nintendo really wants the 3DS to take off, they need to remove all the current DS units from retailers and start fresh.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if completely eliminating the original DS's (DS'es?) from stores will help push sales of the 3DS anymore. A lower price point is still important, hence the price cut. Maybe Nintendo should focus a little more on advertising. Beyond a few ads here and there I can't remember the last time I've seen anything about the 3DS. There was a decent push right before launch, but nothing compared to the insane amount utilized for the Wii in the past couple years.

[quote name='trunks982']i have about 2000 DS points on m DSi. Can they transfer over to the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

The points won't transfer over, but you'll be able to transfer any games you purchased on the DSi over to the 3DS.

*reads thread* really hilarious to read across all the forums about people talking about price adjustments and whether it's fair/ smart.

Heh I wouldn't give a crap about it, hell if I wanted to double dip after selling mine today I would but I'll just wait til Mario / black Friday to jump back in to the 3DS boat.

Or I'll wait til the Vita launch date is announced and buy a Vita and a 3DS during it's launch B^) , yup idiotic and awesome at the same time

I was really excited to hear this. Then I remembered that I felt sick for the rest of the day after five minutes of playing on my friend's 3DS. A real shame since I would kill to play some of those games in 3D.

[quote name='Thorgouge']I was really excited to hear this. Then I remembered that I felt sick for the rest of the day after five minutes of playing on my friend's 3DS. A real shame since I would kill to play some of those games in 3D.[/QUOTE]

did u try lowering the 3D slider down?

I also started getting a little sick after playing one for a few minutes with the 3D on full blast...

then my friend told me to try lowering it to about halfway, and everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpeg

So any games I get on one 3DS won't transfer to another 3DS or will they? The reason I ask is because I was waiting for the next 3DS model but this offer is pretty tempting.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']So any games I get on one 3DS won't transfer to another 3DS or will they? The reason I ask is because I was waiting for the next 3DS model but this offer is pretty tempting.[/QUOTE]

They will probably have a transfer program for any new 3DS model like the current DSi to 3DS transfer.

Nintendo needs to hurry and tie bought stuff to a login ID, not a console. only reason why i haven't bought crap on the Wii or 3DS

I'm guessing this has been mentioned several times already but it's night impossible to wade through so many posts.

Just a heads up for those that aren't aware, I picked up a 3DS at Best Buy earlier tonight. I figured the only game really worth getting was Zelda:OoT so I grabbed the last copy on the shelf. As I'm b.s.-ing with the games clerk, who was really cool and knowledgable, I mention that I was also interested in Pilot Wings but not for $40. He tells me that they have a deal this week (only one more day left now) where if you buy Zelda you get PW or Steel Diver half off. I'm sure most are aware of this, and normally so am I as I frequent CAG quite a bit, but for those that don't just a heads up.

So I got my 3DS, Zelda and PW for $310 and I'll get my $80 back in a few weeks. Not too bad.

How long does Best Buy have Price Drop Match guarantee for? I remember Circuit City, when it was around, was only one week

[quote name='djricekcn']How long does Best Buy have Price Drop Match guarantee for? I remember Circuit City, when it was around, was only one week[/QUOTE]

30 days. 45 days if you're a Reward Zone Silver member.

Due to the best buy guarantee I'm hoping to snag one on monday and then getting a price drop and the 20 free games, and using the refund from the price difference to get OoT 3DS and put the rest as a pre-order for gears 3

[quote name='djduke316']It's already dropped on Amazon....or it WAS. Interesting that the price when back up after the official announcement was August.[/QUOTE]

when i checked a hour ago, they had two of each 3DS selections (two for each color, total of 4). One was the current price but slashed to 229.99 and another one for "preorders" for 169.99

both are sold andshipped from amazon

What i'm trying to figure out is how exactly is this a free gift to early adopters if price drop buyers are now getting them too? (since they'll be price matching for the $80 back). did nintendo not even pay attention to the possibility of this happening? lol.

A nice change for B&M retailers having the better deal than Amazon since you can't price adjust it at Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if they realize what people are doing and drop it further or offer price adjustments for it.

[quote name='iforeverlovemyfamily']What i'm trying to figure out is how exactly is this a free gift to early adopters if price drop buyers are now getting them too? (since they'll be price matching for the $80 back). did nintendo not even pay attention to the possibility of this happening? lol.[/QUOTE]

the price drop now is not up to Nintendo but the stores that are selling them, that also includes Price Drop Protection

[quote name='djricekcn']the price drop now is not up to Nintendo but the stores that are selling them, that also includes Price Drop Protection[/QUOTE]

LOL then nintendo would've been better off just saying everyone gets them, not just early adopters. all us early adopters still get the 20 free games but because price drop buyers are getting them now too they're (in reality) technically getting them for free while it looks like we paid $80 for them. does'nt anger me in the slightest just saying how it looks now ;).

But like I said, it's not up to Nintendo if they have it cheaper now and/or will be granting a Price Drop Match. Nintendo isn't the issue here, the store is, such as Best Buy. Most stores don't do a Price Drop Match, instead, they'll make you return the machine as a defect / open item and give you a new one with a discounted price or money / store credit back on the difference (because they can return "defected" items, for most part). In other words, you lose your 20 games because you swapped machine (and this part is Nintendo's fault for not having a log-in method, they have it tied to a specific console..which is stupid)

I'd find it quite hilarious if stores started denying price-matches (Due to the fact Nintendo is technically compensating too).

Doubt it would happen, though i'd probally have a few shits and giggles if it did.

Either way, i paid 250$ for my console with no idea or intention of getting it for any cheaper. Getting 20 free games is still coming out ahead, no matter how you look at it.

[quote name='djricekcn']But like I said, it's not up to Nintendo if they have it cheaper now and/or will be granting a Price Drop Match. Nintendo isn't the issue here, the store is, such as Best Buy. Most stores don't do a Price Drop Match, instead, they'll make you return the machine as a defect / open item and give you a new one with a discounted price or money / store credit back on the difference (because they can return "defected" items, for most part). In other words, you lose your 20 games because you swapped machine (and this part is Nintendo's fault for not having a log-in method, they have it tied to a specific console..which is stupid)[/QUOTE]

They're really still doing this $hit??? :roll:. what if your warranty ever runs out and then it dies or whenever the 3DS XL comes out and you now want to move your 20 games there???. this is stupid...

[quote name='iforeverlovemyfamily']What i'm trying to figure out is how exactly is this a free gift to early adopters if price drop buyers are now getting them too? (since they'll be price matching for the $80 back). did nintendo not even pay attention to the possibility of this happening? lol.[/QUOTE]

According to Nintendo, anyone that buys a 3DS and uses the eStore prior to Aug 12th is consider an ambassador (early adopter). The price guarantee beyond that date is out of their hands...

On the one hand it's kind of tempting to buy it before hand to get all those games. On the other, well I already own multiple copies of like all of them, and it's not worth the 80 bucks to have them again.

[quote name='schulerbob']On the one hand it's kind of tempting to buy it before hand to get all those games. On the other, well I already own multiple copies of like all of them, and it's not worth the 80 bucks to have them again.[/QUOTE]

what $80? did you miss the fact that you can get an adjustment at places like best buy?

Just a head's up, I am a Premier Silver member at Best Buy and have run into trouble getting a price match in between the 30-45 days. I think that we don't technically get a 45 day price match policy included, but you can do what I did and just offer to return your item with the old receipt and re-buy it at the lower price.

Since we're not even 30 days out I figure this will not apply to very many people though.

Can someone elaborate a little on the best buy price protection thing? So if I buy one now there, later on I can get the $80 back with their protection thing?

I'm am on the fence looking for input for my cag buddies.
Zelda 3d is at present the only title I really want. There are some upcoming that I'm looking forward to as well. I love nostalgia so the eshop vc games are a big plus but does that really warrant the purchase?

Reading all these posts confirms exactly what I've thought for the past couple of years. I've been playing games since pong, ya I know,"what's that?" anyways, I've learned that as much as I want every new videogame system that comes out on the first day or week.......just be patient and wait. The price will drop or there will be some kind of deal that includes a game or whatever to make it a better deal than when it came out. I'm sure we all have a back log of games to keep us busy for a long time.....
I waited for the 3ds to drop and now I'm glad I did. I plan on doing the same for Vita, wiiu and anything else that comes out. Be patient fellow cags, this is the reason that we love this site, it's to get the best deals possible....

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Can someone elaborate a little on the best buy price protection thing? So if I buy one now there, later on I can get the $80 back with their protection thing?[/QUOTE]

Best Buy and other retailers simply guarantee their price for a set number of days. BB specifically is 30 days. If an item drops in price due to a permanent drop or a temporary sale, you can go in with your receipt and get the difference back. Some items are excluded but the 3DS isn't one of them. So the day of the 12th, you can go back in and get your $80+tax refunded.

[quote name='ssjmichael']what $80? did you miss the fact that you can get an adjustment at places like best buy?[/QUOTE]

maybe he has integrity?:roll:

[quote name='Stry-ker']I'm am on the fence looking for input for my cag buddies.
Zelda 3d is at present the only title I really want. There are some upcoming that I'm looking forward to as well. I love nostalgia so the eshop vc games are a big plus but does that really warrant the purchase?[/QUOTE]
Well I think that's a question that each person needs to answer themselves. I did just purchase one for the reason of the price drop and the free games. I also enjoy the old games and the vc games are what put me over the fence. Good luck making a decision..
BTW, there really is no 3ds game that I feel that I can't wait for price drops on. I'm sure come black friday, there will be plenty of them.

[quote name='spidey35']Well I think that's a question that each person needs to answer themselves. I did just purchase one for the reason of the price drop and the free games. I also enjoy the old games and the vc games are what put me over the fence. Good luck making a decision..
BTW, there really is no 3ds game that I feel that I can't wait for price drops on. I'm sure come black friday, there will be plenty of them.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

I'm also on the fence, but I'll probably hold off till black friday/cyber monday...i'm sure it'll be a few bucks off then, and hopefully have some games worth purchasing.

Although I'm on the fence, the reason I'm leaning towards "No" is because I don't need to buy a system that doesn't have any really compelling games.

[quote name='spidey35']Well I think that's a question that each person needs to answer themselves. I did just purchase one for the reason of the price drop and the free games. I also enjoy the old games and the vc games are what put me over the fence. Good luck making a decision..
BTW, there really is no 3ds game that I feel that I can't wait for price drops on. I'm sure come black friday, there will be plenty of them.[/QUOTE]

This is my position. I want one for later on for Mario and Paper Mario and I figured getting 20 old games that I know I would continue to enjoy would be better than something that would be offered later when the two titles I want come out. I have plenty of DS titles plus these older games that I can play on it until then.

I only talked to one person at Best Buy (passed by this morning), and here's what Brea, CA Best Buy told me - not exactly word for word

"Sorry, we don't honor the price protection with Video Game Consoles and Softwares because the price fluctuates too rapidly. We are aware of the 3DS price drop and will not match the price with this. If you want a lower price, please come back once we make it official"

or something of that nature. I'll try other Best Buys around me when I have the time, but it takes so long to get a hold of someone at a Best Buy over the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='djricekcn']I only talked to one person at Best Buy, and here's what Brea, CA Best Buy told me - not exactly word for word

"Sorry, we don't honor the price protection with Video Game Consoles and Softwares because the price fluctuates too rapidly. We are aware of the 3DS price drop and will not match the price with this. If you want a lower price, please come back once we make it official"

or something of that nature. I'll try other Best Buys around me when I have the time, but it takes so long to get a hold of someone at a Best Buy over the phone.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll be...

[quote name='djricekcn']I only talked to one person at Best Buy, and here's what Brea, CA Best Buy told me - not exactly word for word

or something of that nature. I'll try other Best Buys around me when I have the time, but it takes so long to get a hold of someone at a Best Buy over the phone.[/QUOTE]

Is that policy posted in the video game section or in their Customer Service department as an addendum to the normal policy?

Oh wait, sounds like you called them... I'd ask if it's posted in the store as such.

[quote name='Kadin']Is that policy posted in the video game section or in their Customer Service department as an addendum to the normal policy?

Oh wait, sounds like you called them... I'd ask if it's posted in the store as such.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, it is Best Buy so it might just be an ignorant employee who's speaking out of his ass. taht's why i said i'll try other Best Buys. and for this one, I didn't call, I drove by because it was so close where I was at this morning and notice people doing stuff at the store.

[quote name='DIMONDA85']SUPPOSEDLY, They are now making a "loss" on every system they sell (I call their bluff on that).[/QUOTE]

Tear downs revealed it only costs 101 dollars minus (R&D, patent rights, and marketing costs) per system. I bet they're still making a 10-30 dollar profit margin on each system.

In any case, I fear Nintendo may one day go the way of sega (except nintendo won't be pumping out shitty games). I thought Nintendo would dominate handhelds for at least this generation of gaming with the 3ds. I'm shocked ipods, cellphones, and smart phones have cannibalized their business this fast.

In any case 169.99 prices the units at a much more manageable price. 169 is an okay price for a novelty gadget (i.e. gaming device).

This price drop has me worried for handheld gaming. I just don't see a next generation wave of handheld consoles. It's sad, because I cannot stress enough how much I hate playing games on my iPhone. Also, I wonder what must be going through Sony's mind right now. How the hell can they compete with this new price?

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']This price drop has me worried for handheld gaming. I just don't see a next generation wave of handheld consoles. It's sad, because I cannot stress enough how much I hate playing games on my iPhone. Also, I wonder what must be going through Sony's mind right now. How the hell can they compete with this new price?[/QUOTE]

Make a system that has games to play on it.

Because I was sort of nervous about price matching I started looking at used units through ebay. Is there anything I need to worry about with picking up a used unit?

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Because I was sort of nervous about price matching I started looking at used units through ebay. Is there anything I need to worry about with picking up a used unit?[/QUOTE]

I only have two advises:

1) Look at the seller's rating
2) Read the descriptions very carefully.

and alpha
α) Get more pictures or videos if you feel that it's needed (doesn't work all the time cause they might not have a camera)

bread's done
Back