3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io'] Do I continue Zelda or get out Ghost Recon, which from all I've heard is a nice little game, or do I fire up the PS3 and play that Borderlands GotY I got off PSN? Well, I'm gonna choose the HD PS3 game if I'm sitting on the couch anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the #1 obstacle dividing the handheld playerbase. Some people assume handheld = only playing in the bathroom or in the car and that HD console games are automatically superior, while others have a more hectic lifestyle that they didn't have when they were younger and put more time into handhelds, regardless of being on the couch or not, because they provide a console-like experience with the ability to take that experience wherever, whenever, close the lid to suspend whenever, etc. with the only sacrifice being a smaller screen, which doesn't phase many people in the first place.

A good example is the upcoming Dragon's Crown releasing for the Vita and PS3 simultaneously. There are gamers like you who see that and say "that's a no brainer, PS3 version for the big screen experience" and there are gamers like me who say "that's a no brainer, Vita version so I can play it without being tethered to the TV." Neither gamer is wrong, it is just different lifestyles/preferences.

Anyway, I don't mean to single you out with 2 quote replies in a row, I'm just burnt out on seeing the 3DS get so much unnecessary hate and while I may have been a tad sarcastic on the first reply, I felt the second post was a perfect opportunity to bring up a stigma of handheld gaming that has been bothering me that has come up more and more during this era where handheld devices are rapidly catching up to consoles in terms of functionality and the experience they can provide. :cool:

[quote name='Kenshindono']this.. im in no rush to get one at all.. MAYBe if its like 129.99 i'll get one. Honestly 3D is a gimick, i dont give a crap about it. I dont get why studios are pushing that crap so much. Its cool that you dont need glasses for it on this, but i still just dont really care

There are a few games that look cool though. Like tales of the abyss and shin megami remake. So i will probably keep an eye out for sales this x-mas. The majority of its use would be playing older DS games though. And i hear it doesn't do that very well for some reason

By the way for the free games. Arent d.loads locked to one console? so if that one dies or you switch your boned right?[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, the 3D effect was a gimmick and not worth the price. I'd much prefer to have a traditional 2D screen at high resolution, as opposed to a gimmicky 3D screen at low resolution (400x240 per eye).

[quote name='elessar123']Then the compensation doesn't go out to just early adopters.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I don't understand what you mean but if they put the new price in instantly then the compensation would only go to people who paid full price (early adopters). Not that I care if someone else is able to price match and get this for cheap and get free games. . . . .it is what it is and I'm happy to be getting the games (although if I know if advance that the price would drop this fast I would have waited and let them keep the free games).

Really the more I think about it, why not drop the price instantly? Unless they're hoping a bunch of people are willing to pay full price to get the 20 games 10 of which won't be available to the public for a period of time.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I agree completely, the 3D effect was a gimmick and not worth the price. I'd much prefer to have a traditional 2D screen at high resolution, as opposed to a gimmicky 3D screen at low resolution (400x240 per eye).[/QUOTE]

People who say the 3D is a gimmick are the same people still playing their PS3 and 360s on SDTVs with the built in stereo speakers.

Just like HD video and surround sound, (glasses-free) 3D enhances the experience regardless of bringing anything new to gameplay.

Everyone I know who has played OoT3D with the 3D on has a hard time going back to playing it in 2D not because it makes it feel like a fresh new experience, but because the added depth simply makes it look better and come to life.

[quote name='sadakou']People who say the 3D is a gimmick are the same people still playing their PS3 and 360s on SDTVs with the built in stereo speakers.

Just like HD video and surround sound, (glasses-free) 3D enhances the experience regardless of bringing anything new to gameplay.

Everyone I know who has played OoT3D with the 3D on has a hard time going back to playing it in 2D not because it makes it feel like a fresh new experience, but because the added depth simply makes it look better and come to life.[/QUOTE]

I think thats an inaccurate generalization. I play my PS3 and 360 on a 37" 1080p Samsung LCD, and the games look great. Most gamers play on high-def LCD/LED/Plasma displays. The 3D doesn't enhance gameplay, any more than it enhances movies, which is not much at all (for most movies). I could care less about having a TV at home that does "3D movies", as I prefer not to strain my eyes for no good reason.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I think thats an inaccurate generalization. I play my PS3 and 360 on a 37" 1080p Samsung LCD, and the games look great. Most gamers play on high-def LCD/LED/Plasma displays. The 3D doesn't enhance gameplay, any more than it enhances movies, which is not much at all (for most movies). I could care less about having a TV at home that does "3D movies", as I prefer not to strain my eyes for no good reason.[/QUOTE]

1) If you re-read what I said, you will see that I am saying 3D doesn't enhance gameplay, it just brings enhanced visual presentation.

2) It's not really an accurate comparison between 3D movies and 3D games as most Hollywood "3D" movies are either upconverted from 2D and not really 3D at all, or the theaters (most across the US) showing the film don't have the proper equipment to display the film as intended whereas 3D gaming involves exploring a 3D space through polygonal models that are built in 3D from the ground up.

3) You couldn't care less. Common mistake.

whoa! I am SO glad I sold mine last month on here....still the CAGer got a heck of a deal with all the games that went with it.

[quote name='sadakou']People who say the 3D is a gimmick are the same people still playing their PS3 and 360s on SDTVs with the built in stereo speakers.

Everyone I know who has played OoT3D with the 3D on has a hard time going back to playing it in 2D not because it makes it feel like a fresh new experience, but because the added depth simply makes it look better and come to life.[/QUOTE]

Using HD iin't a good analogy since it is a pure upgrade, and the current implementation of 3D is not. The extremely limited viewing angles and crosstalk in images can be grating at times.

Glasses-free 3D big reason for me buying the 3DS, and I think the effect is neat despite its drawbacks. I'm happy as long as a game/type of gaming gives me a new experience, even if it isn't perfect with traditional core games.

I agree that people think it's hip to throw out the label "gimmick" on anything non-traditional.

[quote name='sadakou']

3) You couldn't care less. Common mistake.[/QUOTE]

"Common mistake." < That's a sentence fragment. ;)

Yeah i played it on max settings 3d and it hurt my eyes.

[quote name='poker360']Yeah i played it on max settings 3d and it hurt my eyes.[/QUOTE]

If only Nintendo would include a 3D slider on the system to accommodate for the discrepancy in comfort levels between people's perception of 3D images!

[quote name='sadakou']I think this is the #1 obstacle dividing the handheld playerbase. Some people assume handheld = only playing in the bathroom or in the car and that HD console games are automatically superior, while others have a more hectic lifestyle that they didn't have when they were younger and put more time into handhelds, regardless of being on the couch or not, because they provide a console-like experience with the ability to take that experience wherever, whenever, close the lid to suspend whenever, etc. with the only sacrifice being a smaller screen, which doesn't phase many people in the first place.

A good example is the upcoming Dragon's Crown releasing for the Vita and PS3 simultaneously. There are gamers like you who see that and say "that's a no brainer, PS3 version for the big screen experience" and there are gamers like me who say "that's a no brainer, Vita version so I can play it without being tethered to the TV." Neither gamer is wrong, it is just different lifestyles/preferences.

Anyway, I don't mean to single you out with 2 quote replies in a row, I'm just burnt out on seeing the 3DS get so much unnecessary hate and while I may have been a tad sarcastic on the first reply, I felt the second post was a perfect opportunity to bring up a stigma of handheld gaming that has been bothering me that has come up more and more during this era where handheld devices are rapidly catching up to consoles in terms of functionality and the experience they can provide. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Amen.

The most play any of my portables get is when I'm at home and could be using my HDTV and playing a console. As I get older, I have less time to play video games -- and console games can feel like a time commitment I often can't make. But 15 minutes on my 3ds? Easy to commit to, even if it morphs into a longer time I didn't necessarily plan on before. I've been a huge advocate of handheld gaming since the experience evolved from the days of playing gimped console games (GBA and beyond).

[quote name='sadakou']Well if we are going to nitpick then technically that is a "less than" sign and not an arrow. My sentence fragment at least accurately reflects the meaning behind the message I am trying to convey whereas saying "I could care less" means that one still has plenty of care remaining, the opposite of what was intended. ;)

GRAMMAR WARZ: As Seen on GameFAQs[/QUOTE]

"I could care less" is sarcasm though. Where is youre grammar god now.

[quote name='horsewarrior of janjaweed']"i could care less" is sarcasm though. Where is youre grammar god now.[/quote]

lmao.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']"I could care less" is sarcasm though. Where is youre grammar god now.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there. :applause:

[quote name='Jasonlydon']Amen.

The most play any of my portables get is when I'm at home and could be using my HDTV and playing a console. As I get older, I have less time to play video games -- and console games can feel like a time commitment I often can't make. But 15 minutes on my 3ds? Easy to commit to, even if it morphs into a longer time I didn't necessarily plan on before. I've been a huge advocate of handheld gaming since the experience evolved from the days of playing gimped console games (GBA and beyond).[/QUOTE]
This is exactly my feeling. I love the 3DS for short gaming, or when there is something I want to watch on tv. Like especially for Dead or Alive, I could pick that up for 20-30 minutes, get far in it and then put it down.

Also I consider the 3DS to be a different type of machine. I don't want to play a handheld to play FPS games, or action games like god of war. I want the handheld to have games like metroidvanias, 2D games, different types of RPG games, etc. Something the console games don't offer. It's not the argument about if I want to play on a HDTV, computer, or 3DS screen. It's more about what type of game do I want to play.

Wow. The day I start nitpicking people on the internet for their grammatical errors is the day I inherit 3 billion dollars and have nothing better to do with my life. You are like a precious snowflake falling out of the sky into a sea of hot lava. I wish you the best of luck, but your efforts are in vain...

Sorry to interrupt the banter, carry on. :p

Hey guys, this topic is about how the internet is full of kids who are too poor to buy a 3DS and game "journalists" who only play iPhone games, not about people who who can't spell good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too.

[quote name='sadakou']Hey guys, this topic is about how the internet is full of kids who are too poor to buy a 3DS and game "journalists" who only play iPhone games, not about people who who can't spell good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too.[/QUOTE]

ROFL. I vote that for topic of the year. Hahahaha!

"At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking." Awesome. :)

Haven't had a chance to comment today, this is an amazing price drop and actually makes the 3DS worthwhile, especially if you don't have a DS. I however will be staying away from the system for a while yet until it gets some games I want to play, since right now there still aren't any yet.

However it does seem like Nintendo intentionally overpriced the system for a few months to let the early adopters grab it only to lower the price for the rest of the people shortly later. What it means is it seems like this was a totally planned price drop, in that they only overpriced it to extract the max amount of dollars out of the early adopters, I am sure they planned to sell it at the $169 price all along. But I guess this is how it goes with almost all electronics. I know it comes with free games if you buy at the higher price but I already have all the GBA games I want and a backlit SP to play them on. I also have a huge NES games collection so this offer doesn't really appeal to me. This console was never worth $250 to begin with so I am going to consider the $169 the true launch price.

[quote name='cRodz']Grammar misspelling is a diamond dozen on the internet. I dont get the need to correct others[/QUOTE]
It's a passive aggressive way of side stepping the argument the other has made by attempting to demonstrate that they are smarter than their opponent. "That's a stupid person talking, you're not going to agree with a stupid person are you?" It's the same reason political pundits call people extremists and Nazis instead of attacking their argument.

[quote name='guardian_owl']It's a passive aggressive way of side stepping the argument the other has made by attempting to demonstrate that they are smarter than their opponent. "That's a stupid person talking, you're not going to agree with a stupid person are you?" It's the same reason political pundits call people extremists and Nazis instead of attacking their argument.[/QUOTE]

perhaps. But sometimes people are just stupid in a vacuum.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Wow... PS Vita forces N3DS price drop. So poor Nintendo wont make as much of a KILLING on each portable sold. How sad.

I stopped caring about Nintendo when they stopped caring about themselves. I mean, really? Constantly releasing crappy hardware that is only slightly updated from the previous crap they released...and game remakes. We had the DS, and all of the upgraded DS' (such as Lite, XL, DSi, etc), on top of the Wii which is a glorified gamecube with a neat controller. Nothing inspiring or wowing, just the same old boring crap. Nintendo is putting me to sleep over here. What happened to the glory days? When Nintendo was the shit and real men had to blow on their video games to get 'em to work?? :whistle2:(

Sorry, but if Nintendo isnt going to even try then Im not going to bother supporting them. Sucks.[/QUOTE]

Unlike Sony and MS; Nintendo is a game company that receives revenue almost exclusively from their gaming division division. Sony and MS can afford to take massive losses and compensate with their other technology divisions. They played the horsepower game for 2 generations(64 was way more powerful than PS/Sat and GC was more powerful than PS2 and XBOX) and lost.

You claim that Nintendo made a neat controller and then say they say they did nothing inspiring or wowing despite wowing the masses and inspiring the PS Move and (to an extent) Kinect. MS and XBOX bring out the same old shit with better graphics, how does that wow or inspire you(to be fair XBOX did bring about the achievement craze). PS and XBOXes graphics have been obsolete by PCs within a year of the systems release.

Nintendo still continues to develop and publish top rated games and pushes the industry forward with innovation(it has inspired technologies in the XBOX360 PS3 and VIta) and expanding the gaming audience.

OT- DS was the best system this gen and it didnt really get to be that good of a system until the Lite came out. I will still wait for the 3Ds lite.

[quote name='cRodz']Grammar misspelling is a diamond dozen on the internet. I dont get the need to correct others[/QUOTE]

*dime-a-dozen*

:lol:

has anyone had troubles doing a system update? i just got my 3ds tonight and i keep getting errors. it just says it can't do the update and is going to restart.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Gamestop almost never price adjusts or gives money back or price matches. Its simply not their policy, so it doesnt surprise me. However, Best Buy or Frys, where employees are not so informed about gaming issues, should definitely let you buy it and then get the price adjustment when August 12 hits.[/QUOTE]

They were pretty generous to me, from my experience. I bought the PS3 with the $100 off coupon knowing that the Black Ops bundle was coming days after the coupon expires. I kept the PS3 sealed, called the store, and they said they'd be happy to exchange it. So I ended up getting the Black Ops bundle for $199.

Of course, this would possibly you need your 3DS sealed. I feel like GameStop would try to figure out a way to say no to a price adjustment though even if it was in their policy. You might have better luck with a regular retailer like Target or Best Buy.

[quote name='bizman316']has anyone had troubles doing a system update? i just got my 3ds tonight and i keep getting errors. it just says it can't do the update and is going to restart.[/QUOTE]

I updated last night with no problem, there was a new video. They ditched Captain America and put up The Smurfs.

lol... What happened to this thread?!?! It was only a few pages when I left to work this morning and has already surmounted to 30+, I won't even bother reading past a few for a few laughs.

I'm debating getting another one at BB and Price Matching when it goes on sale.

Apparently not......

is Gamestop's policy on used hardware same as used games? If you can magically find a used 3DS @ GS, just log on with the name you're going to use, get the free games, and then return it? IDK, no idea how the 3DS works.

[quote name='Malice']Without looking at any posts in this topic....

How can I go about getting the 3DS at $169 AND getting the 20 games as well? :D[/QUOTE]

Check 2 posts above you. Also, you can see this same effect on every page in this thread. :roll:

[quote name='spug21']You know I've heard tons of complaints about this on the internets and even seen videos of people complaining but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.[/QUOTE]

A system update made a significant difference in the clarity and color of DS titles played on 3DS. It was the same one that added the Eshop. There were comparison photos posted and it really was a huge difference.

[quote name='Malice']Without looking at any posts in this topic....

How can I go about getting the 3DS at $169 AND getting the 20 games as well? :D[/QUOTE]

Either claim sarcasm or learn to read! >: ( Besides, it's a secret. Also, buying used consoles.. I don't know how that works with returns.

[quote name='skiizim']I updated last night with no problem, there was a new video. They ditched Captain America and put up The Smurfs.

lol... What happened to this thread?!?! It was only a few pages when I left to work this morning and has already surmounted to 30+, I won't even bother reading past a few for a few laughs.

I'm debating getting another one at BB and Price Matching when it goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

mine also updated fine, just did it a few hours ago. also my 3DS came with the launch system software, is that what they all come with still?

and you should read back a little bit, it was quite amusing :p just a few pages.

I spent to much money this month, I planed on stoping for a while to give my self a break and catch up on all the game. However this is really tempting. I think I'll hold out a little bit longer and wait for a game I really want. I'm really only interested in street fighter and OoT because I havn't played either (well I did when I was really younge but that doesn't count). Maybe I'll try the price match to get the 20 games :p

[quote name='CDiablo']You claim that Nintendo made a neat controller and then say they say they did nothing inspiring or wowing despite wowing the masses and inspiring the PS Move and (to an extent) Kinect. MS and XBOX bring out the same old shit with better graphics, how does that wow or inspire you(to be fair XBOX did bring about the achievement craze). PS and XBOXes graphics have been obsolete by PCs within a year of the systems release.

Nintendo still continues to develop and publish top rated games and pushes the industry forward with innovation(it has inspired technologies in the XBOX360 PS3 and VIta) and expanding the gaming audience.[/QUOTE]

To say that the Xbox 360 and PS3 haven't done anything innovative is very ill-informed. They changed the landscape of gaming over the past couple of years and have definitely shaped our expectations. Just look at the Wii-U to see exactly how the 360 and PS3 have effected Nintendo. From better online functionality, cross game chat, an increase in digital distribution, achievements and trophies, the implementation of social networks, the ever so popular Netflix (Which Nintendo later adopted) media sharing with your pc and several other things that I don't have time to mention. They've surely improved more than just graphics this generation.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Either claim sarcasm or learn to read! >: ( Besides, it's a secret. Also, buying used consoles.. I don't know how that works with returns.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop's policy simply says Used merchandise and doesn't specifically say games, accessories etc so I am asumming used hardware is the same deal but it is Gamestop and they are idiots so they might deny a return.

[quote name='sadakou']
Anyway, I don't mean to single you out with 2 quote replies in a row, I'm just burnt out on seeing the 3DS get so much unnecessary hate and while I may have been a tad sarcastic on the first reply...[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying but two things bothered me about it. First, you edited my quote to make is sound like I said something different and I really despise that. Yes, everyone knows it was sarcastic, but still... And secondly, I'm probably the biggest Nintendo fanboy among the mod staff at least (I view CAG as very 360-centric for the most part) so aiming your frustration at the "hate" on the 3DS at me was misplaced at best. If I had to pick one company of the 3 and play their stuff exclusively I would probably choose Nintendo over the other 2. But even I had to admit that the 3DS did not hook me in like I thought it would. That has actually surprised me quite a bit. I played Zelda and frankly was not all that impressed - and that was the big game till some of the stuff comes out in the Fall.

[quote name='Jasonlydon']Amen.

The most play any of my portables get is when I'm at home and could be using my HDTV and playing a console. As I get older, I have less time to play video games -- and console games can feel like a time commitment I often can't make. But 15 minutes on my 3ds? Easy to commit to, even if it morphs into a longer time I didn't necessarily plan on before. I've been a huge advocate of handheld gaming since the experience evolved from the days of playing gimped console games (GBA and beyond).[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm probably older than just about anyone on here and I don't feel that way. I do take my DSi on business trips with me and that is when I get my handheld fix - it makes plane trips so much more bearable than they used to be pre-electronics. I do play it occasionally on the couch, but I just prefer the big screen experience then. Maybe that is a function of my age - when I was young I played an Atari on a 19" TV so I really appreciate big screen HDTV gaming all the more.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']This is exactly my feeling. I love the 3DS for short gaming, or when there is something I want to watch on tv. Like especially for Dead or Alive, I could pick that up for 20-30 minutes, get far in it and then put it down.

Also I consider the 3DS to be a different type of machine. I don't want to play a handheld to play FPS games, or action games like god of war. I want the handheld to have games like metroidvanias, 2D games, different types of RPG games, etc. Something the console games don't offer. It's not the argument about if I want to play on a HDTV, computer, or 3DS screen. It's more about what type of game do I want to play.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, and that is why I do like the DS so much. And this is exactly why the PSP was a flop (for me personally) - for the most part it tries to replicate the console experience more so than the DS and I feel the Vita will be the same (yet I will get one regardless ;)). I tend to like turn-based strategy games, JRPGs and things like the Professor Layton games. Well, guess what? Most of those are on the DS now. The game I've been choosing to play over all 3 of the 3DS games I own is SMT Strange Journey. And I play that on my DSi so I don't have to charge the thing constantly... So, yeah, even when choosing a DS game for the couch, I'll go with that over the current crop of 3DS games. I certainly hope that changes and I'm sure it will as more games like that come out for the new system. But in the meantime I have literally years worth of backlog on my DSi. And more years on the PSP ;) (there are certain games I really want to play on it like Jeanne de Arc and Valkyria Chronicles II).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning to sell my 3DS+Games but when I read this earlier this morning, I had second thoughts.

It might sell for more since it will include the exclusive games for early adopters of the system. I'll still think about it. I play more casual games on my smartphone then 3DS :roll:

I have to ask and if it was discussed earlier, I apologize.

Would you think using the price guarantee 'loophole' would be constituted as fraud? I posted doing this on another gaming site and my post was removed as it wasn't something legal and/or ethical.

Now the ethics about it I can agree with. But going to the letter of the law, would this be technically defrauding Nintendo or the retailer? Is a law actually being broken?

Bought a 3DS at Target today with Zelda and Pilotwings. Specifically asked about price matching, and the guy said "Yeah, if Zelda even drops to $30 within 90 days you can get the difference back." Then I did some closer looking on their website, and the PM clause says 7 days (though it mentions competitors). Any reason they would deny me a match of their own store, or deny me a simple "return and resell" type transaction? Planning to call tomorrow with a hypothetical "Yeah, I bought this 3 weeks ago and now your store has it for X price, can I get the difference?" question

Any advice is appreciated! Worst case, I'll just return it and tell them it hurts my eyes, then rebuy a system in a week (to get the freebie games)

[quote name='Kadin']I have to ask and if it was discussed earlier, I apologize.

Would you think using the price guarantee 'loophole' would be constituted as fraud? I posted doing this on another gaming site and my post was removed as it wasn't something legal and/or ethical.

Now the ethics about it I can agree with. But going to the letter of the law, would this be technically defrauding Nintendo or the retailer? Is a law actually being broken?[/QUOTE]

Speaking on terms of price drops and price matches, I did buy an Xbox in 2004 from Best Buy, for $180. Less than 30 days later (within their window) it dropped to $150. I had no idea this was actually happening, and they gladly refunded me $30 plus applicable taxes. Obviously this is much less than an $80 drop, but at the same time retailers honored (to my knowledge) the May/June 2007, $100 price drop of the 60gb PS3.

[quote name='Kadin']I have to ask and if it was discussed earlier, I apologize.

Now the ethics about it I can agree with. But going to the letter of the law, would this be technically defrauding Nintendo or the retailer? Is a law actually being broken?[/QUOTE]

No it's 100% not fraud, and I'm usually very adamant about people committing fraud. I see no moral or ethical problems with doing this. If Nintendo wanted to stop people from doing this they could have easily. If it wasn't Best Buy, and others policy to adjust their own prices then so be it, but they allow it so it's completely fine.

[quote name='ssjmichael']No it's 100% not fraud, and I'm usually very adamant about people committing fraud.[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding. Some may say it's not ethical or the right thing to do but you're simply taking advantage of a policy put in place by the retailer, right? True it might not be intended to be used in this manner but that's irrelevant.

The only response I can imagine coming from a court in a case like this would be the judge suggesting the retailer(s) have another look at their policy.

bread's done
Back