3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']Just got back from my Best Buy. I asked about the 30 day price guarantee policy and he said it would be no problem. He even mentioned that he, as well as four of his other associates purchased a 3DS the day the price drop was announced to take part in this.

His name was Jesus, so I have no reason no to trust him. I....think...[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha, nice one :).

I asked at several Fry's stores in the DFW area, and they said the same. Whether that comes to pass is yet to be seen.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']id be surprised if they went lower then $149.99
i mean, on their website the used (refurb) ds's go for

$69.99 for the ds
$79.99 for the ds lite
$119.99 for the dsi
and these are really old systems and at the most a $30 discount... so i would say a $30-$40 drop right out the gate is most likely unrealistic
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-ds/systems?nav=1386-c4-17e

unless they do a % off per price bracket, like $10 off every $50. i guess that could be the way they price stuff? i dont know, ive never worked there. i guess it could be $30 or so off. its possible i guess... still kind of think $149.99 for some reason though lol.[/QUOTE]

It better not be 149.99 or ill flip out. I wonder now much will the other ds's will drop after the 12'th though

[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']Just got back from my Best Buy. I asked about the 30 day price guarantee policy and he said it would be no problem. He even mentioned that he, as well as four of his other associates purchased a 3DS the day the price drop was announced to take part in this.

His name was Jesus, so I have no reason no to trust him. I....think...[/QUOTE]

I plan on doing this as well. Make sure to grab a copy of the price adjustment policy on the day that you buy the 3DS. If nothing in there excludes gaming consoles then they really don't have a leg to stand on and try to back peddle later. BestBuy has a really great of community members from the Home Office that work on twitter to address customer concerns. They've always handled any concerns I've had quickly and to my satisfacton. Just remember that if you use a credit card and you don't get anywhere with available support options, as a last resort you'd have all the paper work and proof required to file a charge dispute with the issuer for the amount of the price difference.

edit: I've also reached out to my contact at BestBuy from the Community Connector team and just received an email back. I was told without a doubt BestBuy WILL honor their price adjustment policy for 3DS that have been purchased before 8/12 as long as you follow the requirements of their Price Adjustment policy by returning to the store with the reciept during the return and exchange period.

Just to make sure, when I do the price match policy at Best Buy, do they give you a gift card of the difference or actually give you money back?

^ win. Green light for me grabbing one on monday then :3 Now if only my Peach dsi cover would fit it....

Thanks for the confirms guys and gals, definitely a purchase worth making now =D

[quote name='Sharkey1337']Just to make sure, when I do the price match policy at Best Buy, do they give you a gift card of the difference or actually give you money back?[/QUOTE]

They refund it in whatever manner you paid for it, so if you paid cash you'd get it in cash. If you charged it, they'd put it back on the card.

[quote name='elsnerma']They refund it in whatever manner you paid for it, so if you paid cash you'd get it in cash. If you charged it, they'd put it back on the card.[/QUOTE]

SWEET, thanks for the answer!

After much debate, I bought the 3DS today at Best Buy. I talked to several employees (one of who I know personally for many years), and they all said it would be fine to bring the receipt during the price drop and be refunded the difference.

Anybody with inside connections know if there is a planned SKU change along with the price drop? i.e. such a change that would prevent a price match?

[quote name='mariosbrother']Anybody with inside connections know if there is a planned SKU change along with the price drop? i.e. such a change that would prevent a price match?[/QUOTE]

You are way paranoid bro.

I do have a few questions of my own, regarding Best Buy policies. So I noticed I had a RZ coupon that would've given me a $25 gift card with my purchase. Could I go back and basically do a return and repurchase to get the card? Do they include the gift card in the price of one of the items, ie the 3DS? Because I was obviously planning to go back again and get my refund at the price drop and it would be less worth it if they only gave me $55.

[quote name='mariosbrother']Anybody with inside connections know if there is a planned SKU change along with the price drop? i.e. such a change that would prevent a price match?[/QUOTE]

What you have to remember is that even IF there is a new SKU, the existing models are still plentiful out there in most stores and those would also drop in price so as long as you're there pretty soon after the price drops, I can't see it being an issue.

But honestly, I think we'd have some indication pointing to a change in SKU by now if there was one.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']I do have a few questions of my own, regarding Best Buy policies. So I noticed I had a RZ coupon that would've given me a $25 gift card with my purchase. Could I go back and basically do a return and repurchase to get the card? Do they include the gift card in the price of one of the items, ie the 3DS? Because I was obviously planning to go back again and get my refund at the price drop and it would be less worth it if they only gave me $55.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if you read all the details on the back of the coupon it will exclude video game hardware. Best Buy coupons always do..

I think I remember someone asking this question but not getting an answer. I will ask it again, and if someone did answer and I missed it, sorry!

I have 90 dollar in store credit. if I pay for the 3DS with the 90 store credit and remainder in cash. When I go to do the price adjustment, will they pay me back in cash or store credit?

[quote name='xRemnant']I have 90 dollar in store credit. if I pay for the 3DS with the 90 store credit and remainder in cash. When I go to do the price adjustment, will they pay me back in cash or store credit?[/QUOTE]

As Xellos stated, it is almost certain you will receive the adjustment in credit. It depends which store you bought it at but I would certainly bet on credit.

[quote name='outcast529']I'm pretty sure if you read all the details on the back of the coupon it will exclude video game hardware. Best Buy coupons always do..[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I checked and it does not exclude game hardware. It's not one of those 10 or 12% off coupons. It just entitles you to a gift card if you make a purchase totaling over $100, $250 or $500.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ravens52bears54']That was the first thing I checked and it does not exclude game hardware. It's not one of those 10 or 12% off coupons. It just entitles you to a gift card if you make a our base totaling over $100, $250 or $500.[/QUOTE]

Remember that the purchase price for a reward must be pre-tax. The purchase price of a 3DS right now at Best Buy is $249.99. In other words if you want the $250 purchase reward you will need to spend 1 cent more on qualifying products.

Now, however. If you only spend $250, and get an $80 refund, you will no longer have qualified for the $250 purchase reward as your purchase price will be adjusted to $170, and the computer will almost certainly be programed to recognize that. If it does (and again, it almost certainly will), and if you are still within the promotional period of your coupon, you could very likely obtain the $100 reward in it's place if you argue it but you would be docked the difference between the two. I'm assuming that reward is $10. As such, you would lose $15 from your return. You would wind up spending $185, but keep your $25 gift card. If it is not still within the promotional period, or you have a manager that just won't budge, you likely will lose the full $25 from your purchase, bringing up your total to $195, and you keep your $25 gift card. It's kind of a gamble.

But there is a way to avoid all that hassle. Just purchase $80.01 worth of other qualifying items in the same transaction as your 3DS. When you get your $80 back the total will still be at least $250 pre-tax. As such you won't lose anything.

And now a final reminder: Most of the time game consoles are explicitly excluded from these types of offers. Make sure to double check that it is okay to use on game consoles.

[quote name='xRemnant']I have 90 dollar in store credit. if I pay for the 3DS with the 90 store credit and remainder in cash. When I go to do the price adjustment, will they pay me back in cash or store credit?[/QUOTE]
It depends on who you get. Note: They will want to give you store credit so they don't have to hand out cash (heck they might not even have enough to give out :lol:). Just say you want the cash/credit card return and they will give it to you as long as the difference in price was paid in cash/credit card. So for your case, they can't really deny you.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Could I go back and basically do a return and repurchase to get the card?[/quote]
YMMV. All coupons state on the back that they are not offered for previous purchases. Most customer service reps know this so your return/rebuy with a coupon would be denied.

I picked mine up from BB yesterday but with no games, since nowhere has a good deal on them at the moment. But for anyone else who did the same, AWD (Amazon Warehouse Deals) has Super Street Fighter IV 3DS for $24.99 in Like New condition. As I type this, they have 216 in stock. I bought one last night.None of the other 3DS games are really that cheap on WD though. Hope it helps someone!

Decided to pick up the system yesterday at BB, will get it PMed next weekend. Picked up DOA:Dimensions (both my daughter and I are big DOA fans) and nothing else.

Trying to get it set up in time to hopefully get some spot pass hits at GenCon this weekend.

Even with the free games, why is this a purchase by so many cags? It just seems like the release calendar is so so poor that it's not worth it at $170. Am I missing some games, besides a future nintendo title that you're resting your hopes on?

I would imagine the first party offerings are swaying most and the thought that $170 will be as good as it gets for a little bit + 20 free oldies.

[quote name='ijustw1n']Even with the free games, why is this a purchase by so many cags? It just seems like the release calendar is so so poor that it's not worth it at $170. Am I missing some games, besides a future nintendo title that you're resting your hopes on?[/QUOTE]

Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart.

Poor? Really?

[quote name='ijustw1n']Even with the free games, why is this a purchase by so many cags? It just seems like the release calendar is so so poor that it's not worth it at $170. Am I missing some games, besides a future nintendo title that you're resting your hopes on?[/QUOTE]
Kirby and Professor Layton and the Last Spector look to be the last Nintendo made titles for DS. Most who buy a Nintendo device (that are true gamers) in today's market are buying it for the Nintendo made titles. Just saying...

Mario Land, Paper Mario, and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle sold it for me.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart.

Poor? Really?[/QUOTE]

There is one im looking foward to even more then those great games you mentioned, KID ICARUS !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man that game looks soooooooo badass and i was drooling from the mouth during the game's showing at e3. I hope it releases this year. I also cant wait till nintendo shows super smash brothers 3ds in the near future (hopefully a trailer and details at tokyo game show)

[quote name='JokerCard']Star Fox is the one im really anxious for. And at less than a month away buying the 3DS now has no harm.[/QUOTE]

Yea, i cant wait to "DO A BARREL ROLL !" in 3d :)

[quote name='lordopus99']Kirby and Professor Layton and the Last Spector look to be the last Nintendo made titles for DS. Most who buy a Nintendo device (that are true gamers) in today's market are buying it for the Nintendo made titles. Just saying...

Mario Land, Paper Mario, and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle sold it for me.[/QUOTE]

shocked to see they even bothered with Kirby. Would have made an excellent kids title for the 3DS.

[quote name='strait edge follower']There is one im looking foward to even more then those great games you mentioned, KID ICARUS !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man that game looks soooooooo badass and i was drooling from the mouth during the game's showing at e3. I hope it releases this year. I also cant wait till nintendo shows super smash brothers 3ds in the near future (hopefully a trailer and details at tokyo game show)[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, when Iwata announced the new Smash Brothers, pre-development hadn't even started yet.

It was more of a "Yes, this is going to happen at some point" announcement, rather than the reveal of anything that actually exists. That team is focused entirely on Kid Icarus at the moment, anyway.

*sigh* People just hop on this no game hate bandwagon without doing any research

Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3DS Land, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Luigis Mansion 2, Star Fox 3DS, Smash Bros.. Thats 7 games already announced and confirmed. Nintendo just needs to get their third party support together, which i'm sure they will, and it'll be a hit. Not to mention Majoras Mask might be remade

[quote name='Hao']From what I understand, when Iwata announced the new Smash Brothers, pre-development hadn't even started yet.

It was more of a "Yes, this is going to happen at some point" announcement, rather than the reveal of anything that actually exists. That team is focused entirely on Kid Icarus at the moment, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ah so the smash brothers team is doing icarus ! i bet after pit's revival on ssbb it inspired them to do this kid icarus game. Well its safe to say that this studio will get my money like always.

[quote name='ferzan']*sigh* People just hop on this no game hate bandwagon without doing any research

Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3DS Land, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Luigis Mansion 2, Star Fox 3DS, Smash Bros.. Thats 7 games already announced and confirmed. Nintendo just needs to get their third party support together, which i'm sure they will, and it'll be a hit. Not to mention Majoras Mask might be remade[/QUOTE]

People did this same thing with the ps3 and now they look beyond stupid. The same thing is going to happen here and the 3ds will do great along side with the vita. Oh and i hate majoras mask lol. Still hope they remake it for the people that want it (and its alot of people). oot and twilight princess are my favorites. I do hope tp gets ported to the 3ds so i can take it on the go

For me, I know I want the 3DS anyway. I was going to pick it up with a game I actually wanted to buy. I had thought that that game was going to be Kingdom Hearts 3DS, Tales of Abyss, or even a 3DS Pokemon that you know must be coming, but now that I can get the 3DS and 20 games for the same price as the 3DS will be starting the 12th, I really just can't justify passing it up.

And it's not even 20 nameless games that everyone will forget about in a week either. It's 20 games that of the 10 currently known, I already know I would've gladly put down money for 8 of them.

I do assume I'll eventually trade up for a 3DS 2/i/XL/whatever as well just for better battery life alone, but for someone like me, who knows they WILL get one, it's incredibly hard to pass this deal up.

Also, I would even imagine that part of the rush for everyone is actually a subconscious interpreting of the price drop as $80 off, and not $170 IS full price. Though, even with that, $170 on the 12th IS also $80 less than it costs on the 11th, and maybe that just puts it in everybody's price range.

[quote name='ferzan']Not to mention Majoras Mask might be remade[/QUOTE]

Oh I so
so
so
want that.

I'm not even really interested in getting Ocarina until it's less than $20, but remake Majoras and I'll buy it at $40.

***EDIT***
[quote name='strait edge follower']Oh and i hate majoras mask lol.[/QUOTE]

I hate you!

[quote name='strait edge follower']Still hope they remake it for the people that want it (and its alot of people).[/QUOTE]

Nevermind! You're cool.

And that's exactly what went through my head as I read your post.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I do hope tp gets ported to the 3ds so i can take it on the go[/QUOTE]

If they can port over Twilight Princess, I'd actually like to see Wind Waker in 3D too. Don't hate me. I thought it was entertaining.

I agree completely. Besides the fact that the 3D doesn't appeal to me at all, the game lineup right now, and into the near future, is pretty anemic. The 3DS just doesn't cut it hardware wise, plus look at all the complaints about loose hinges and screens getting scratched due to the design. 20 games or 200 games, it just isn't worth it to me.

If they scrapped the 3D gimmick and just made a solid 2D handheld with a decent sized screen and dual analog sticks, I'd be interested. But the way its designed, I don't see a big influx of 3rd party games down the line, so be prepared to settle for a smattering of first party titles, and the usual shovelware that's filled up the Wii for so many years.

If they can port over Twilight Princess, I'd actually like to see Wind Waker in 3D too. Don't hate me. I thought it was entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Oh no sir i wont hate you for that :) i though it was a good zelda game. Just hated the sailing

[quote name='chimpmeister']If they scrapped the 3D gimmick and just made a solid 2D handheld with a decent sized screen and dual analog sticks, I'd be interested.[/QUOTE]

To bad they didn't include a perfectly accessible slider to make this a solid 2D handheld. :roll:

I do agree about the dual analog sticks though. People have complained about the lack of a 2nd analog stick on handhelds for quite awhile. I don't know why Nintendo feels the need to make sure they always have at least a couple of things that are last generation.

[quote name='jer7583']if you're smart you'd buy one at best buy less than a month before the drop and then get a price adjustment, and get the free NES/GBA games.[/QUOTE]

I wanna see if I can pull this off, then I'd actually do it :bouncy:
Otherwise I just don't see myself bothering, I don't handheld enough
Maybe with a lot of oldies preloaded and stuff eventually coming out...

[quote name='joshrocker']To bad they didn't include a perfectly accessible slider to make this a solid 2D handheld. :roll:

I do agree about the dual analog sticks though. People have complained about the lack of a 2nd analog stick on handhelds for quite awhile. I don't know why Nintendo feels the need to make sure they always have at least a couple of things that are last generation.[/QUOTE]

They did, but I can still see gaps in between the rows, so it's not prefect. And that actually caused me to tip over in not buying one. If I only want it with the 3D off 99.9% of the time, I might as well get an XL.

[quote name='lordopus99']Kirby and Professor Layton and the Last Spector look to be the last Nintendo made titles for DS. Most who buy a Nintendo device (that are true gamers) in today's market are buying it for the Nintendo made titles. Just saying...

Mario Land, Paper Mario, and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle sold it for me.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo didn't make Professor Layton, nor do they own the series.

The next batch of Professor Layton games will be published by Level 5's North American branch. Don't get disappointed if they ever made the series multiplatform, and seeing how Level 5 prefers Sony platforms over Nintendo platforms, it is highly probable that we'll see a Professor Layton game on the PlayStation Vita.

I get all the great Nintendo titles coming, I guess I'm just tired of buying their hardware and hanging my hat on just that. Their innovation on the Wii and 3DS is great but if it doesn't bring the third party major titles like valve, ubisoft, etc. It just doesn't do it for me. Just my two cents, not trying to railroad the thread or anything.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nintendo didn't make Professor Layton, nor do they own the series.

The next batch of Professor Layton games will be published by Level 5's North American branch. Don't get disappointed if they ever made the series multiplatform, and seeing how Level 5 prefers Sony platforms over Nintendo platforms, it is highly probable that we'll see a Professor Layton game on the PlayStation Vita.[/QUOTE]

With the vita having a touch screen im pretty Sure level 5 will bring the series over to sony's new handheld. The only problem is playing it without a stylus might feel weird, unless Sony packs one with each vita of course

[quote name='strait edge follower']With the vita having a touch screen im pretty Sure level 5 will bring the series over to sony's new handheld. The only problem is playing it without a stylus might feel weird, unless Sony packs one with each vita of course[/QUOTE]

If the Vita has a capacitive (read: "heat sensitive") touch screen, a stylus wouldn't do anything. If it is a resistive touch screen, then it will work.

Don't forget that the backside of the Vita is a touch screen as well.

[quote name='Nintendonly']If the Vita has a capacitive (read: "heat sensitive") touch screen, a stylus wouldn't do anything. If it is a resistive touch screen, then it will work.

Don't forget that the backside of the Vita is a touch screen as well.[/QUOTE]

Say what?

[quote name='elessar123']Say what?[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify, the backside of the Vita is actually a touch pad akin to a laptop's touch pad which are heat sensitive (try to use anything besides the skin of your fingers; it won't work), and it also has a touch screen in the front, which I am unsure of which of the two technologies it works with. Here is the backside of the Vita:

Sony-PlayStation-Vita-Next-Gen-Portable-Gaming-Device-back.jpg

[quote name='Nintendonly']Let me clarify, the backside of the Vita is actually a touch pad akin to a laptop's touch pad which are heat sensitive (try to use anything besides the skin of your fingers; it won't work)[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify. Neither capacitive nor resistive have anything to do with heat. And there are capacitive styli.

[quote name='strait edge follower']And while hes doing that he is happily swiming in his pool of cash with his his sexy zero suit sammus look alike maids by his side :)[/QUOTE]
Iwata (and a bunch of other Nintendo executives) took a pretty hefty pay cut. Like, a 50% paycut.

I mean, no doubt he's still loaded, but, I'd hardly say that he's not being sincere.

bread's done
Back