3DS or PSP?

deanabrown

CAGiversary!
Currently have a DSi and want a new portable system. I know Sony is planning to come out with a new portable system in a year or so and I figure Nintendo will come out with an upgraded 3DS working out the quirks. Not sure what is the better investment now. Any thoughts...

I have a DS and a PSP Go. I really enjoy my PSP, but at the same time I really like my DS. It comes down to the God of War games, Metal Gear, FF and most of the Sony first party stuff that has me playing my PSP more. Also, the PSP is pretty cheap right now but not sure how much longer it will be supported. Anyway, good luck!

It took 2 years for ds lite, and it will probably be longer before you see a 3DS lite. PSP will last about 1 more year before people completely move to NGP

I also have tried both systems and would recommend the PSP whole-heartedly, since 3D gaming could turn out to be a novelty and the 3DS launch titles aren't impressive, to say the least. PSP gaming library is huge and vastly affordable. Graphics are definitely a step-up from current DS games and the upcoming NGP is still about a year away...so why deprive yourself pleasure now?

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP. I played with the 3DS at the store it didn't like it all. However, I'm not a huge fan of 3D movies in theaters either. I prefer Avatar in 2D than in 3D..

The problem w/ the DS (and likely the 3DS) is there's a lot of good first-party stuff, an alot of shovelware. Not that the PSP isn't full of shovelware, mind you. I'd personally wait for the PSP2. After seeing the video of Drake's Fortune on it, yeah...I'd wait.

PSP easily.

MGS Peacewalker, God of War, Crisis Core, Y's Series, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal Head on, Echochrome LocoRoco, Patapon, Dissidia, Wipeout series, Syphon Filter series, Tekken, Resistance Retribution, Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Grand Theft Auto Liberty city and Vice City Stories, MotorStorm, hot Shots golf, a Bunch of Compilations from Sega, Capcom, Activision, Midway and More.

If you like RPGs then the PSP is the Go-To console, with titles like Y's Seven, Brave Story, Lunar, Valkyrie Profile, Persona, Phantasy Star, Final fantasy 7, 8, 9, Grandia, Wild arms 1 and 2, Vagrant Story, and thats not even half of them!

there are a ton of PSP Minis that are very cheap and actually very good. over 100 some PSone classics i believe... youll be set for a few years even.

The 3DS needs to build up its library and the NGP needs to be released, until then the PSP is the way to go. theres so much badassness to it. Get a black or clear Grip Skin cover as well for taking it on trips and youll never want to let it go. the 3Ds needs time to flourish, from what i played at PAX East this past weekend, it didnt WOW me like I was expecting, alot of games were hit and miss. Pilot wings has amazing 3d, but..hats the damn point, Resident Evil has lackluster 3D, so it was dissapointing. Its not even a launch title anyway. Either way, ill be getting a 3DS, but certainly not at launch. Its a NICE system, but needs to grow more for it to be worth the price.

130 or less for the PSP is a complete steal. you should realize that haha...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought both a DS and a PSP the first month each came out. Honestly, I still regret buying a PSP. While the graphics are a lot better, the game selection still isn't that great after 5-6 years. Its still mainly a lot of remakes/rehashes. While I won't deny that there is comparatively a lot more shovelware for DS, there are on average 2 times more good games for DS than PSP each year (Obviously my opinion on games I would play). In the end though, it coms down to what you prefer. Are you a gamer who cares more about graphics? Or do you care more about relaxing and just having fun? I will probably end up with both, but I don't have time to play lengthy games that are more about story than actual gameplay. So I will probably use my 3DS more than the NGP.

The NGP isn't going to have a UMD drive, so it's not going to be backwards-compatible with a very large portion of the PSP's library. Games bought off the PSN being the only exception. Since you already have a DSlite, I imagine you're not too interested in the 3DS's backwards capability. Given that the NGP and 3DS could take a year (if not more) to build up a number of titles worth having, you just gotta ask yourself if you'd rather have the PSP's library now or their potential library in a year.

I read somewhere that Nintendo said that a 3DS lite would be unlikely. They made the 3DS as small as it possibly could be. It'll probably be wrong since technology keeps getting smaller as we go along. Anyways, I own both a DSi and a PSP I would say just go for a 3DS and wait for the NGP. I haven't touched my PSP in over a year.

I'd say get a PSP now for cheap. Then trade in your DSi for a discount to the 3DS and pick that up. You can keep your current DS library since it will play on 3DS, and you can start building a PSP library (downloads from PSN) to have when the NGP launches.

You need both:

I love my PSP - God of War, Patapon, Resistance, Killzone, Secret Agent Clank, etc
Also my DSi XL - New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc

So both Sony and Nintendo have great first party studios, if you have the budget get both. If you had to get one, if your a real hardcore gamer then NGP

There may not be a whole lot of awesome 3DS games out early on but you'll start to see that change over the year and the next. There's probably plenty of yet unannounced titles that will be revealed soon. Something to think about.

I didn't think the PSP had a great library at the start but over time it's built up a very good one and the same will happen with the 3DS. 3DS games can be played in 2D too if you don't like 3D. If I never owned one and wanted a PSP right now I would just wait for an NGP and buy older games on PSN.

3DS is new technology and I know everybody is a little different. I tend to jump on this stuff rather quickly so have pre-ordered and paid off mine in advance. I think I will also want an NGP. I want the best of both worlds.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The NGP isn't going to have a UMD drive, so it's not going to be backwards-compatible with a very large portion of the PSP's library. Games bought off the PSN being the only exception.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this. I really wouldn't pick up a PSP right now -- with UMDs obsolete, it's a dead-end. If you're sure you have no intention of ever buying a NGP, then maybe -- otherwise, I'd just wait, buy whatever PSP games off PSN to play on the NGP, and then at least I could relax knowing I was future-proof for a good while. But getting a PSP now is silly, IMO.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']If you like RPGs then the PSP is the Go-To console[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The PSP isn't lacking for RPGs, but I think you may not have realized just how many the DS has. Saying it's the "go-to console" ignores the Golden Sun games, Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, the Fire Emblem games, the Mario & Luigi games, the Dragon Quest games, Radiant Historia, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, Sonic: Dark Brotherhood (by Bioware!), Sukioden, the Shin Megami Tensei games, the Etrian Odyssey games, that Valkyrie Profile game, Nostalgia, Black Sigil, Phantasy Star 0, Knights in the Nightmare, the various Final Fantasy games, Lunar: Dragon Song, Blue Dragon Plus, and on, and on, and on. Heck, even the Pokemon games are RPGs.

I honestly think the DS has more RPGs than the 360 has shooters. It's unbelievable. Also, I wouldn't consider Vagrant Story an RPG, really, but that game is near and dear to me. ;)

What you need to do is make a list of PSP games you want and a List of 3DS games you want because all that matters is the games.

Here's a list of 3DS games in development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

Like a few people mentioned UMD's are going obsolete so it might be a dead end it's probably best to get an NGP and buy those games digitally, but some of the best PSP games are UMD only (Birth By Sleep, MegaMan Powered up) if you really want those UMD games it might be a good idea to get a PSP. However wait till the holidays I'm sure their will be massive sale on PSP systems to clear out inventory for the NGP

The PSP is a niche system if you love SRPGS, RPGS & Atlus games then it's the console for you. The PSP has some amazing games, but it's library isn't as robust as a DS or PS3. If you are not into SRPGS, RPGS, & Japanese games the PSP may not be the system for you.

I'd say go with a 3DS it's new, reasonably priced, they're won't be a price drop or new model within the next 2 years, it's already got tons of support, and it's guaranteed to succeed because it's a Nintendo hand held, and if you waited this long to get a PSP wait a little longer and get a really good deal.

[quote name='deanabrown']I know Sony is planning to come out with a new portable system in a year or so and I figure Nintendo will come out with an upgraded 3DS working out the quirks. [/QUOTE]

And then Sony will upgrade the NGP.

And then Nintendo will upgrade the 3DS again.

And then Sony will upgrade the NGP again.

And then Nintendo will come out with an entirely new portable.

And then Sony will come out with an entirely new portable.

If you think like that, you'll never buy another piece of electronics as long as you live. There is ALWAYS a better one coming in a year or two.

[quote name='mkelehan']And then Sony will upgrade the NGP.

And then Nintendo will upgrade the 3DS again.

And then Sony will upgrade the NGP again.

And then Nintendo will come out with an entirely new portable.

And then Sony will come out with an entirely new portable.

If you think like that, you'll never buy another piece of electronics as long as you live. There is ALWAYS a better one coming in a year or two.[/QUOTE]

Yea ... exactly what this guy said!!! I have both .. PSP & DSI ... love'em both

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I think I'm going to buy a PSP cheap and then wait a little on the 3DS. Its not like there are 3DS release games that I am dying to play.

[quote name='trq']Yeah, this. I really wouldn't pick up a PSP right now -- with UMDs obsolete, it's a dead-end. If you're sure you have no intention of ever buying a NGP, then maybe -- otherwise, I'd just wait, buy whatever PSP games off PSN to play on the NGP, and then at least I could relax knowing I was future-proof for a good while. But getting a PSP now is silly, IMO.

I disagree. The PSP isn't lacking for RPGs, but I think you may not have realized just how many the DS has. Saying it's the "go-to console" ignores the Golden Sun games, Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, the Fire Emblem games, the Mario & Luigi games, the Dragon Quest games, Radiant Historia, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, Sonic: Dark Brotherhood (by Bioware!), Sukioden, the Shin Megami Tensei games, the Etrian Odyssey games, that Valkyrie Profile game, Nostalgia, Black Sigil, Phantasy Star 0, Knights in the Nightmare, the various Final Fantasy games, Lunar: Dragon Song, Blue Dragon Plus, and on, and on, and on. Heck, even the Pokemon games are RPGs.

I honestly think the DS has more RPGs than the 360 has shooters. It's unbelievable. Also, I wouldn't consider Vagrant Story an RPG, really, but that game is near and dear to me. ;)[/QUOTE]

No I do realize the amount of RPGs in the DS library. Sure it may have a crap load but the PSP offers a better quality selection even if its smaller. Alot of the DS RPGs are on PSP too anyway. I dont see the DS playing Final Fantasy 7, 8 or 9, Grandia, Wild Arms 1&2, Legend of Mana, the original Suikoden, Alundra, Parasite Eve 1&2, or the Arc the Lad series. Most of these are 5.99 remember too... PSP has exclusive Y's titles. Y's Seven is worth it alone. Its got the best Lunar imo, its got the better phantasy star series games and Persona series games. Knights in the Knightmare, Valkyrie Profile aswell, and many more that the DS has inferior versions of. PSP also has got the Harvest Moon love a big one, ...Xenogears. Vagrant Story can totally be considered an RPG. I think it is by pretty much everyone. Youve got Brave Story, Disgaea, Crimson Gem saga, Hexyz Force, Half Minute Hero, Jeanne d'arc, Lord of Arcana, Monster Hunter, Phantom Brave, Tactic Ogre, Untold Legends, Valhalla Knights, Valkyria chronicles, Yggdra Union, Z.H.P, CLADUN, Class of Heroes, Justice League Heroes, X-men Legends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, and MORE.....

The ones that are sorely missed for PSP are Chrono trigger and the Golden Sun games, but theres nothing you can really do about that. Chrono Cross is due out anytime soon on PSN, so theres that. PSP Also has the original final fantasies.

For all the pokemon and Mario rpgs the the DS has, PSP has exclusive RPGs to make up for the losses. The psp just offers a better, bigger screen & more vibrant graphics, especially for 2d RPGs. Along with the Sleep function it works well. Im sure there are RPGs that I haven't even known of for the PSP. I know I have forgotten to list a lot aswell, those I havn't played. Id go for PSP if you want more serious, and graphically superior RPGs. Its even more Go-to if your new to RPGs, there are a lot of stand alone titles and not a lot of Spin offs that can get someone confused, like the DS has.. Its not quite the size of the library that counts all of the time heh.

Its good to have both, but if you choose just one... simply go PSP.

Hey...I still use my fat DS that I got on Nov. 18, 2004 (launch WOOT!) and I don't regret it at all. I don't feel the need to replace something that isn't broken or tooo outdated (ie - computer/broken DS). As I figure - if it ain't broke, use it till it dies.

However I am in the same dilemma. Nintendo is doing what they usually do with launches and have 1.6million on US store shelves at launch and due to tsunami rapeage across Japan, I believe that production of 3DS's and moreso NGP development, will be INCREDIBLY slowed down. Hence why I deposited $55 for the 3DS (console + SSF4:3D). The problem with my situation is that I really don't have any games on the list that will be out around summer/TBA (Star Fox, Mario, Zelda, KH, Martha Stewart, MegaMan, MGS3D, etc.).

So what my friend said when I asked for his opinion was just save my money on everything but I want to get a PSP since it is half of what the 3DS is about, and many games already on shelves/available for CAG prices. What I will do is get my next paycheck and get it probably but I feel it will be stupid since school is starting after break this week and will have to wait another 8 weeks in order to finish my backlog :cold:

Anyways - what I say for myself is that the smart thing is to just wait till the PSP goes down near the NGP launch and there are more deals in the coming months for the 3DS, but I am going to get a PSP tomorrow....so I guess I am a fool...:whistle2:#

I have both a PSP-1000 and an original DS. So my technology on the two is kind of dated. That being said, I can still play current games on both. And my PSP gets WAY more use than my DS. The graphics are better and the games are way better on the PSP, in my opinion. The DS has some awesome games, like Mario, Wario, etc., but the PSP in my opinion has better quality games like Metal Gear, God of War, GTA, Warriors, etc. I have absolutely no interest in the 3DS, but the NGP has my name written all over it.

This thread really turned into a very good conversation. My reason for getting the PSP now is that I can get some cheap games and still have the ability to download games when they are phased. It may not be the latest, but the savings will be worth it. I can also give it to my son when I'm ready for the NGP.

I'll get a 3DS eventually, but I would rather wait until the library is more established. The DSi will be able to handle my DS gaming needs for now.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

I just wanted to let everyone know I picked up a PSP 3000 (found the Gran Turismo limited edition at the Sony Outlet store for $149) and I love it. Best decision I made. I'll wait on the 3ds until they have a better library.

As a PSP and DS light owner, I would honestly say neither.

The PSP is OKAY. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few games greatly (Loco Roco, Patapon, and Disgaea stand out) and as long as you don't get the Go, the price is pretty reasonable. On the other hand, there really isn't anything on the PSP that screams "must play" to me. I bought it mainly because I was doing a lot of traveling a few years ago and I was spending hours upon hours on trains and planes. If there is something you really want to play on it, then it might be worth it.

The 3DS, on the other hand, really doesn't have much to recommend it yet. The game library is still tiny and the majority of those games haven't been all that well received. It might be one thing if you didn't already own a DS, but you do. I'd wait for the library to increase, price to go down, and/or maybe some kind of increased battery solution to come out.

IMO the best handheld gaming option right now is STILL the DS Light. Great battery life, small size, huge game library (especially if you include GBA games -- which you should). That will most likely change after the NGP comes out and the 3DS library grows, but I'm a little worried about the battery life of both systems.

bread's done
Back