3DS to achieve World Domination

Duck in a Pond

CAGiversary!
Does anyone think this thing is going to be as big as I do? It seems all nintendo has to do is put more cameras and a larger screen on their handhelds and they sell millions.

The 3DS is the first affordable 3D anything to hit the market. I think the 3DS can surpass the Wii in sales eventually by riding this 3D wave.

It is also a testament to Nintendo's ability to make original technology that appeals to the masses. They started motion control, which if you noticed at E3, is changing the industry, now they invent affordable 3D that is portable, and doesn't require glasses...

I think the graphical capabilities, and the analog pad will appeal to more than just kindergardeners. (They should have done duel analog though)

I really hope the 3DS sells as well as I hope, because it's sucess will bring quality developers back to the handheld market.

In short, bravo Nintendo, you've done it again.

Well introducing 3d technology isnt new and nintendo didnt invent it. 3d has been around since 1976 when future world was the first movie to really use it. 3d gaming has been around for awhile and been on the pc specifically for years now with like the nvidia glasses. Nintendo has done nothing original really. 3d without glasses is also a old concept. It started with lenticular pictures and images that had depth to them without the need for glasses.

They didnt start motion controls either. Motion controllers have been around since the atari 2600 days, I think it was called Le Stick. Granted it didnt work the best but it had the same idea to it. Have been several other motion type attachments since then. Even that god awful motion sensor for the sega genesis had what the kinetic is doing in it. Again, nintendo didnt invent squat.

And it will sell well because its nintendo. Nintendo has become strictly hardware based and not much else. All they have done for awhile now is release hardware and periphals. They cant make games anymore. Even all their e3 release games can be preceeded by "another damned". Like "Another damned metroid game", "Another damned donkey kong game" or "Another damned zelda game". They create something like a system and milk it for years. They release something, then release it in new colors, then they add just a little to it and re-release, then in new colors, then add something else and go on till its run its course and then they finally make something new. All the while turning into fischer price by putting out periphals for it.

And motion controls isnt revolutionizing the gaming industry. Sony and nintendo are just trying to capitilize on it. Motion controls have not yet taken the place of a controller or provided any improvement to a game yet that couldnt be had with a normal controller.

Course you may not be able to see that what with nintendos balls bumping in your face obviously when you posted that message.

But of course it will be huge. All of nintendos stuff is, good or bad it sells well because while sony is trying to cater to hardcore techy people and hardcore gamers, microsoft is busy marketing to the beer swilling hooting dickhole early 20s crowd and that leaves nintendo to have everyone else and be king of the imbeciles.

And this is for general gaming posting, there is a nintendo ds specific thread for nintendo ds masturbating.

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']The 3DS is the first affordable 3D anything to hit the market.[/QUOTE]

oh sweet, they announced a price?

no, they didn't.

if the 3ds does achieve world domination,it will then be quickly overthrown by 3dsi, which will then be overthrown by the 3dsi xl, which will then be overthrown by the 3dsi xl in metallic silver, which will then be overthrown by the 3dsi xl in lemon meringue...etc...etc...

The DS has already sold 2x as many units as the Wii anyway and there are already quality developers on it. I imagine the 3DS will continue that trend, and may eventually sell more than the Wii.

And IMO, releasing different colors doesn't really count as a new iteration of a device, so there were 4 total for the DS - DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL. Pretty much the same as the PSP, or iPhone, or basically anything really - release a new one each year if possible. At least the games are still compatible with all of them (besides some DSi exclusives, but I don't think they're really going too far with that), so it's basically just preference. And what peripherals are there for it?

Now that Im not almost late for work can finish my thoughts from before.

Since when is motion controls and 3d so important? Call me crazy here but to me those are just gimmicks. I play games because I like games and not because I like gimmicky periphals and new ways to control the game. I dont care if I get 3d in a game, I dont care if it has a touch screen, I dont care if it has 3d, I dont care if it has a camera on it, I dont care if I can watch movies on it, I dont care if I can play music on it, I dont care about any of that stuff. When I buy a system I want to play games. And 3d nor motion controls has up till now done anything to actually improve gaming at all. All that stuff does is draw attention away from developers because its another damn thing for them to worry about trying to fit into their game so they can be cool. It detracts time, money, energy, resources and manpower that could have been better used to make the game itself better. 3d is a gimmick and nothing else. The best example of good 3d is avatar, and it took years of development between cameron, his crew and sony electronics to make the camera, movie cost 200million to make and was done by a movie effects pioneer and it still wasnt that great. I highly doubt some 35 dollar game on the ds will do much better or do anything worthwhile. It will all just be some gimmick and not actually benefit the game.

Developers had even said the games on 3ds could look better and run smoother and free up alot of system resources by turning off the 3d. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/3ds-games-will-look-better-if-they-ditch-the-3d/ I would gladly ditch 3d to have games run smoother.

Gamers are turning into idiots because they are all getting dazzled and wow'ed with all this new hardware and they seem to be forgetting that gaming is about the games. Its not about some new piece of hardware, some new periphal to play a game, some new addon or anything else. Gaming is gaming because of the games developers make and nothing else. No amount of virtual reality helmets, touch screen pads, motion sensors, 3d glasses or whatever will make games any better if the people who make the games dont do a good job. I play games, I dont play systems and I dont play gimmicks, thats why Im a real gamer. I dont get caught up in the hype of some new toy because I play games for the games, I dont play games just so I can get some gimmick for it.

Hardware does NOT make a game good. Look at all the failed and stupid periphals we have had in gamings history that predates the systems we have now. Everything from virtual reliaty, 3d, high end expensive hardware, motion controls, voice controls, that smell sensor thing and 100 other gadgets and gimmicks and "advanced" systems, but they arent around and we still play games the same old way because it works. A game is what makes a game good, not what hardware its using or running on. It technology alone made a game good then everytime a new system came out it would have the best games ever on it, but thats not true because hell the sega genesis had far better games than a nintendo wii, but how can that be? The genesis didnt have motion controls! Oh yeah right, because it had good games, silly me.

But again nintendo just does hardware now, they dont do games really. They do mario, zelda, metroid and occasionally shit out a donkey kong game and thats it. Nintendo doesnt care about games. THey create hardware and market it and then sit back while everyone makes shovelware crap games for their system and nintendo sucks up the royalities. Problem here is nintendo doesnt care, they stopped using the nintendo seal of quality where they had to actually put standards on games on their system but they stopped that along time, if they hadnt we may not have my stop smoking buddy, coldstone cremery ice creme store, or the other 100 shit wii games.

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']I really hope the 3DS sells as well as I hope, because it's sucess will bring quality developers back to the handheld market.[/QUOTE]
"Back" to the handheld market? Where have you been and what handhelds have you been playing? There are many great third-party games for the DS.

[quote name='SpazX']The DS has already sold 2x as many units as the Wii anyway and there are already quality developers on it. I imagine the 3DS will continue that trend, and may eventually sell more than the Wii.[/QUOTE]
Plus there's the fact that Nintendo has pretty much owned the handheld market since the Game Boy.

As Nintendo's next major iteration of the DS, I think anyone with a shred of common sense expects the 3DS to do well.

The 3DS will do well, and of that there should be no doubt. The reason should be less about the 3D capabilities though and more about how it's essentially a more-powerful DS. I'm still not convinced that the 3D-thing was just something Nintendo could put in for an extra $10 per screen to give them additional coverage of the Today Show or Ellen, while simultaneously giving the 3DS it's own identity versus the DS.

Personally, I get kinda scared at how many people were ready and willing to put down major money on it, even though all we've seen thus far are Kid Icarus, a ton of Tech Demos, and a ton of old Nintendo games ported to use the 3D.

[quote name='gargus']Developers had even said the games on 3ds could look better and run smoother and free up alot of system resources by turning off the 3d. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/3ds-games-will-look-better-if-they-ditch-the-3d/ I would gladly ditch 3d to have games run smoother.[/quote]

Well...duh. If they cut it down to 16 colors or wireframe I bet they could run 60 fps with 10,000 enemies on screen.

[quote name='gargus']It technology alone made a game good then everytime a new system came out it would have the best games ever on it, but thats not true because hell the sega genesis had far better games than a nintendo wii, but how can that be? The genesis didnt have motion controls! Oh yeah right, because it had good games, silly me.[/quote]

Then play your genesis and stfu. Save some money.

[quote name='gargus']But again nintendo just does hardware now, they dont do games really. They do mario, zelda, metroid and occasionally shit out a donkey kong game and thats it. Nintendo doesnt care about games. THey create hardware and market it and then sit back while everyone makes shovelware crap games for their system and nintendo sucks up the royalities. Problem here is nintendo doesnt care, they stopped using the nintendo seal of quality where they had to actually put standards on games on their system but they stopped that along time, if they hadnt we may not have my stop smoking buddy, coldstone cremery ice creme store, or the other 100 shit wii games.[/QUOTE]

The Wii gets the most shitty games because it's the best selling console. Microsoft and Sony don't quality check all the games on their consoles either, it's a waste of resources. They also release sequels to sequels to sequels. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see your point, there's not much of a distinction in that respect between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo (or 3rd parties for that matter).

[quote name='gargus']
Motion controls have not yet taken the place of a controller or provided any improvement to a game yet that couldnt be had with a normal controller.
[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? I'm not saying it is a superior way of controlling games, but there are definitely plenty of games that are more fun to play with motion controls than traditional controls. Tiger Woods being one of them, actually swinging is 10 times more fun than using a regular controller. Bowling is way more fun with motion controls. Swinging the wiimote for home run derby, way more fun. Table tennis and regular tennis, way better with motion controls. Unless you're excessively lazy, I don't see how you could find playing any of these more fun or even equally as fun with a traditional controller.

[quote name='gargus']
But again nintendo just does hardware now, they dont do games really.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because the two Mario Galaxy games aren't two of the best games of this generation. Wii Sports Resort isn't an incredibly fun showcase of motion control and a blast to play with friends. Smash Bros and Mario Kart for Wii aren't excellent games. The DS isn't littered with tons of great games and "non-games". And Nintendo didn't just just have an amazing E3 announced tons of games people are looking forward to. To quote Mike and Mike, are you freaking kidding me?

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the 3DS but I find myself playing a lot less handheld games than I did in the past, just not as much time for gaming and when I do have time I'm at home. I still have several DS games I own that I haven't even started. I'll probably wait a while for a library of games to get built up and the price to come down but sooner or later I'll probably buy one.

bread's done
Back