3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

I wonder if the larger screen results in it having a larger 3D sweet spot? If so that would definitely be a plus. Not to mention that I'm sure this is much more comfortable in adult hands. But I'm on a budget. Can't buy one this year. Maybe next year.

I'm not sure what to do. I have wanted to get a 3DS, but $200 seems steep (unless the battery life is unbelievable. One of the major reasons I haven't picked up a 3DS is because the battery life is supposed to be terribad) and this is definitely not the re-design I wanted. Was hoping for something more along the lines of a DS Phat to DS-lite redesign that made the system more functional and easy to store/handle/use. Aside from maybe helping DS games upscale better (which would be cool since I would not have no way to play GBA games or DS games if I sell my DS Lite), it looks like the increased size (was hoping they would re-brand the XL to encompass features and simply make customers think it was a 'bigger, better 3DS experience' rather than a bulkier system that doesn't transport as well like the really ill advised and, in my opinion, useless DS XL) is going to be more of a problem than anything.

With the GBA the SP was easier to transport and was all around better than the GBA classic. Then the Micro happened which was cool, but again kind of useless. With the DS the DS Lite was such an upgrade over the Phat (especially since the library had filled out too) and even the DSi was cool for integrating shops that would become higher functioning on the 3DS, even if the DS XL was larger and didn't really make any sense.

Not sure if I should just buy a 3DS now (perhaps using that GS $50 for a DS Lite trade in for a 3DS/buy a 3DS get a free game and battery pack deal) or just hope a better redesign comes in the future and hold my GS credit either for a Vita or the next gen consoles. Not too pleased with this.

This actually doesn't come with an AC adapter. You have to buy it separately or use the one on your old 3DS.

I'm kind of excited about this but I'll wait for reviews to see if it's worth the upgrade. I'd love to have a bigger screen to play eShop games with. But then again, if the eShop games won't even transfer from my current 3DS, this won't be worth it.

I hate to be mean but anybody who buys and supports this thing, and I mean ANYBODY, should be shot in the foot (ok maybe not shot, maybe have your toe stepped on). The fact that they released a second stick peripheral fully acknowledges that they need one... The fact that they are going to (at least as of now) release this thing without a second stick is just spitting right in the face of every Nintendo/3DS fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RiPPn']Well I had no intention of getting a 3DS til they made a bigger screen, and they did it, and I actually like the redesign better than the original, the rounded edges look smooth, and the buttons look nicer plus extra battery life to boot. I'm sold, bring on August![/QUOTE]
Same here i like the matte finish.

[quote name='ZForce915']I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

I don't get you anymore Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

It may be just a half hour of battery life more than the original but the new battery is more than making up for the (exceptionally) larger screens. The top screen is nearly the size of the Vita's and at $200 its really not that bad. If Best Buy delivers a decent trade in bonus, I'd gladly switch out my current 3DS for this one. Though I do admit, it is kinda fugly...

[quote name='prettycrazy']Because it's ugly.

Definitely won't be upgrading.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it looks too bad, but I can't see myself spending money to upgrade my 3DS, especially since the resolution is the same.

[quote name='JKSonic']The fact that they are going to (at least as of now) release this thing without a second stick is just spitting a huge loogie right in the face of every Nintendo/3DS fan.[/QUOTE]

Loogie? I thinking more like something browner that comes out of a lower bodily orifice...

Is everything else the same, though? Still has region protection? And lol at .5 more % battery life.

IMO Nintendo failed hard with the 3DS. The game line-up is still weak, region protection, bad design and marketing decisions, etc.

If I don't get Monster Hunter by the end of the year I'm going to jump off boat.

[quote name='metallicoholic']This actually doesn't come with an AC adapter. You have to buy it separately or use the one on your old 3DS.

I'm kind of excited about this but I'll wait for reviews to see if it's worth the upgrade. I'd love to have a bigger screen to play eShop games with. But then again, if the eShop games won't even transfer from my current 3DS, this won't be worth it.[/QUOTE]

No. North America is getting it. It is in Europe that is not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/22/nintendo-3ds

[quote name='ZForce915']I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

I don't get you anymore Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Methinks they're attempting to imitate Apple's business model. Release product, wait a year, release slightly improved product, get people to buy again. Only they're forgetting not enough people bought the original 3DS. Should be releasing more and better games for it, IMO.

I use an ergonomic handheld base for my 3DS, which makes it feel like a console controller. And the screen size is adequate for me. So I'll stick with the original for now.

I wonder, does Nintendo have plans in place for easily transferring content from the 3DS to XL? Or will you have to re-download everything one item at a time?

[quote name='Lordd_G']Loogie? I thinking more like something browner that comes out of a lower bodily orifice...[/QUOTE]

May be true...but was trying to keep it classy ;)

[quote name='morrodox']Methinks they're attempting to imitate Apple's business model. Release product, wait a year, release slightly improved product, get people to buy again. Only they're forgetting not enough people bought the original 3DS. Should be releasing more and better games for it, IMO.

I use an ergonomic handheld base for my 3DS, which makes it feel like a console controller. And the screen size is adequate for me. So I'll stick with the original for now.

I wonder, does Nintendo have plans in place for easily transferring content from the 3DS to XL? Or will you have to re-download everything one item at a time?[/QUOTE]

Well, considering you need your previous system to transfer anything to a new one (unless you're lucky enough to get special permission)...I'm not sure how they'll do this. I'm guessing they'll offer a limited window to register your games then re-download them.

i got an XL that is going bad with a 2 year warranty on it.. that will expire aug 1 SOB

Picked up a 3ds off EBAY For 70 bucks that is under warranty until MAY 2013...

What i may do is..

Return the XL TO best buy get the refund of 160 (what i paid for it 2 years back)

Transfer all of my dsiwere games to the 3ds
BUY a 3ds xl in aug
Transfer all of the 3ds to xl games

I should have no problems redumping the normal 3ds for 70

though i may hold off until a gift card deal hits . Hell be better off buying it though amazon no tax but i highly doubt amazon will sell them

im also guessing we can start to see BIGGER DOWNLOADS since the 3ds only came with a 2gb card while this one has a 4gb and might as well say

VITA IS FALLING To 199 in aug/sept

its going to be VITA VS 3ds xl

Return the XL TO best buy get the refund of 160 (what i paid for it 2 years back)

Pretty sure that 2 year warrant is only to REPLACE it, I really don't think you can just return it. Even if your system dies pretty sure they don't just give you the money back, but again will just replace it. IF they don't have an DSi XL's in stock they might be willing to give you a GC, MAYBE. Although when I had the 2 year warranty and my Wife's Kindle broke, they just gave me an updated model since none of the ones she had was in stock anymore. So if anything they may offer you a 3DS and just have you pay the difference or just give you a BB gift card if you're lucky...

Damn, it looks TOO big. That being said, I think I still would have bit if there was a 2nd analog stick. Since there's not, guess I'll stick with the regular 3ds until if/when a 2nd stick model is released. Come on Nintendo, you know you want too...

I like the design functionally, but I don't really care for the look. The matte blue and red are kind ugly. Hopefully they make a black version by the time I'm ready to buy, or some other colors that look better.

[quote name='JKSonic']Pretty sure that 2 year warrant is only to REPLACE it, I really don't think you can just return it. Even if your system dies pretty sure they don't just give you the money back, but again will just replace it. IF they don't have an DSi XL's in stock they might be willing to give you a GC, MAYBE. Although when I had the 2 year warranty and my Wife's Kindle broke, they just gave me an updated model since none of the ones she had was in stock anymore. So if anything they may offer you a 3DS and just have you pay the difference or just give you a BB gift card if you're lucky...[/QUOTE]

when did you buy the Kindle... the warranty was changed on july 2011..

if you got a warranty before july 2011 you can fight it cause it says right on the paper.. if the system breaks a gift card will be issued..

Now after july 2011 they changed their warranty where they only REPLACE the systems /ITEMS

also paid the higher price (i think normal was 30) we paid 50 for the refund /any damage done to it covered cause the last one we had a hinge broke and had a hell of a time getting it covered

In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.

This announcement does nothing to instill confidence in the Wii U. They get a 2nd chance and still cannot get it right?
Exactly. I sold my Wii a while back because I started to lose confidence in Nintendo since they let so much shovelware and shoe-horned motion controls on their system. I was semi-excited with the original announcement of the WiiU (back when it still had a code name...what was it Cafe or something weird like that) but upon learning more about it I'm really not at all. That's DESPITE wanting to be excited for it.

So between that and this announcement, ouch... Sorry Nintendo you've just fallen another wrung on my gaming ladder.

[quote name='DealHunter']In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.[/QUOTE]

Except for the $600 price tag:cry:

when did you buy the Kindle... the warranty was changed on july 2011..

if you got a warranty before july 2011 you can fight it cause it says right on the paper.. if the system breaks a gift card will be issued..

Maybe that's it then I don't know...I do think it was bought after that, so.

I'm definitely interested in this. I thought I would hate the DSi XL, but after playing with it, I cannot go back to playing DS games on smaller screens. It's that good.

However, I probably won't buy the 3DS XL simply for the fact that there is no second analogue stick. Unless I could pick one up for really cheap...

[quote name='AwRy108']1) Not a deal, so wrong forum. Not sure why mods let this stuff slide.[/QUOTE]

It never occurred to you that you're the only one who cares?

whats funny to me about this is if this XL model was the first model released everyone would complain about how big it is, but now people want to trade their 3ds for the bigger xl version lol

makes no sense to me

[quote name='Drclaw411']Damn, it looks TOO big. That being said, I think I still would have bit if there was a 2nd analog stick. Since there's not, guess I'll stick with the regular 3ds until if/when a 2nd stick model is released. Come on Nintendo, you know you want too...[/QUOTE]

that was exactly my reaction. I wouldve preferred much thinner and only like 50% bigger screen.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Damn, it looks TOO big.[/QUOTE]

That's what she said! Oh!

Sorry, had to do it.:applause:

On a serious note, I just got a Vita. I don't have any of the Nintendo handhelds. I need advice from you guys.

Should I just hold onto my Vita (love the sticks, screen, etc) and/or invest in a used DSi XL/3DS/new 3DS XL? I wold love to play some of the recommended DS games. (I don't care for 3D because I never used it)

P.S. I have big hands and love the bigger screens. I play my handhelds at home or on vacation. Plus, I'm cheap so I may end up looking for a DSi XL.

I welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

So, first they over charge the original, then drop the price, now make an unweildly giant version. This should have been the 3DS released, and at this price. Plus, with this and gamepad controller, it seems Nintendo wants in on the tablet market.

Well, too rich for my blood (especially considering Wii U). Maybe if they hadn't charged $250 for the first one, or released the first one.

Funny, Nintendo tweeted about this, yet never replied when I asked why they didn't just release this first. :p

@jimmayhorn if you really want a Nintendo handheld, go for the 3DS. Might as well get the latest version. If price is a concern, look for used. If not, go for the 3DSXL. Again, might as well go for latest. That's why i got a 3DS. Had the original DS, and needed an upgrade. Might as well get the latest.

[quote name='jimmayhorn']That's what she said! Oh!

Sorry, had to do it.:applause:

On a serious note, I just got a Vita. I don't have any of the Nintendo handhelds. I need advice from you guys.

Should I just hold onto my Vita (love the sticks, screen, etc) and/or invest in a used DSi XL/3DS/new 3DS XL? I wold love to play some of the recommended DS games. (I don't care for 3D because I never used it)

P.S. I have big hands and love the bigger screens. I play my handhelds at home or on vacation. Plus, I'm cheap so I may end up looking for a DSi XL.

I welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

I currently have a DSi XL and love it.

I have resisted getting a 3DS so far, but I may have to cave and get the 3DS XL. If it had the second stick and they had gotten rid of the sliders (I like the volume control on the DSi XL), there would be no question of me getting it. Right now, I'm just not sure...

If this system has the buttons configured in such a way that I can play through a whole circuit in Mario Kart without my hand's feeling like they've been abused, I'll buy it.

Just got off the phone with Gamestop. Regarding the possibility of a Trade-up promo, the guy told me he can't imagine there not being one. He just couldn't confirm because Nintendo hasn't allowed retailers to list it for pre-order yet.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']If this system has the buttons configured in such a way that I can play through a whole circuit in Mario Kart without my hand's feeling like they've been abused, I'll buy it.[/QUOTE]

Came to say this. I liked the 3DS but got rid of it after a couple of months because it was just too small and uncomfortable. I'll pick this up if they bundle it with Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion for $199 on Black Friday.

[quote name='coolz481']Came to say this. I liked the 3DS but got rid of it after a couple of months because it was just too small and uncomfortable. I'll pick this up if they bundle it with Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion for $199 on Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

You know good and well that the Holiday Bundle will be NSMB2.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Why would anyone want this over the original version?[/QUOTE]

Once I got the DSi LL I never looked back at the DSi. I ended up picking a second LL so I could play one while the other charged. It's just that good. Folks who got used to the LL had a very hard time playing with the O.G. 3DS and it's a big part of the reason I got rid of mine.

I only play my handhelds at home or friends' places so portability is not an issue.

[quote name='DealHunter']In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.[/QUOTE]

No chance. If Nintendo isn't willing to fracture the user base on the second revision they're not going to do it at all.

I don't know...the system design looks pretty ugly and I already have a 3DS. I wasn't crazy about the DSi XL mainly because they never up the resolution on these bigger screens. I guess it wouldn't matter as much if I didn't have a VITA where everything looks great on it. I'm wondering if the new screen would be any brighter as the current 3DS is fairly dim. No docking cradle kind of sucks as well...one feature I really love about the current 3DS. This just screams meh to me.

Edit: Why don't we get the white or silver?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cochesecochese']

No chance. If Nintendo isn't willing to fracture the user base on the second revision they're not going to do it at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this is a message that the second analog games will be more or less done after Kingdom Hearts. Going forward you will see very, very few games support the circle pad pro.

Oh cool! Just noticed that this will be released a few days right before Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Awesome.

Going to be a tough decision:
Vita Wi-Fi $250
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward $40
Memory Stick 4GB $20
Total: ~$310 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of PS1/PSP/Minis games.

3DS XL $200
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward $40
SD card 1GB $10 (Not sure if the 3DS even uses a memory card since I don't have one.)
Total: ~$250 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of DS games.

I know it's been said over and over but I also can't fathom why they would not include the second analog stick on this design...

Are we going to see a "Circle Pad Pro XL"?

Are they going to scrap the whole dual analog stick support?

I really see no reason to get this. The bigger screen would be nice but it's not a deal killer for me and I'm fine playing on my slight smaller original 3DS screen.

bread's done
Back