3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

I think my

used 3ds
My vita
and my PSP

will hold me over for one of two things

Labor day when Meijers has 20 off any item 100 or higher

or

Thanksgiving when hopefully a good package deal will hit

Will the screen size for the bottom touchpad be roughly the same as the regular XL model? I think I should grab some of the clearance XL accessories (screen protector, case, styli) at BestBuy stores in anticipation for this release, but just want to make sure about compatibility.

Traded off the last of my console games that will run better on PC (when they get super cheap at least) and paid off almost all of my 3DS XL with that $5 bonus at Gamestop.

I felt very indifferent to this device when it was announced, mostly because of no second circle pad support. I've been using my vita a lot lately and I really don't seem to use the second stick that much in a lot of games. I guess I won't really miss it.

I even like Resident Evil Revelations better with the one stick control setup - I'm just so used to the RE4 style controls after playing that game so much, and then RE5 the same way for probably 100 hours.

Went on a demo unit XL today in HMV running Mario kart 7. My only experience with the 3DS has also been with demo units but wow the XL was much more enjoyable. The screens made a huge difference. I also much prefer the matte design scheme too.

If I had to get one i'd definitely go with the XL.

I admit, my resolve is breaking the closer we get to the 19th. The colors are the big thing I'm still holding back on, but...

Well, I realized the other day that the 'tied to the system' thing is an issue for me. With the DSi and DSiXL, I could switch off between the two depending on the situation, where I'd be taking the system, and just which games looked better on one or the other.

With the 3DS, that's not a thing. If I buy the XL, I *commit* to the XL. The DSiXL was, to me, a supplimental system to my other DS. Once I transfer the 3DS stuff to the XL, it effectively becomes my only 3DS, for better or worse. I'm still not too sure how happy I am about that. That's not even covering the obvious future decision that will come when Nintendo inevitably releases another revision. If it's hugely worthwhile (say, second stick), will I want to downgrade from the big screens?

Anyway, yeah, I understand it, but it still's making me question the pick-up.

[quote name='007']I admit, my resolve is breaking the closer we get to the 19th. The colors are the big thing I'm still holding back on, but...

Well, I realized the other day that the 'tied to the system' thing is an issue for me. With the DSi and DSiXL, I could switch off between the two depending on the situation, where I'd be taking the system, and just which games looked better on one or the other.

With the 3DS, that's not a thing. If I buy the XL, I *commit* to the XL. The DSiXL was, to me, a supplimental system to my other DS. Once I transfer the 3DS stuff to the XL, it effectively becomes my only 3DS, for better or worse. I'm still not too sure how happy I am about that. That's not even covering the obvious future decision that will come when Nintendo inevitably releases another revision. If it's hugely worthwhile (say, second stick), will I want to downgrade from the big screens?

Anyway, yeah, I understand it, but it still's making me question the pick-up.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo should really be more flexible and allow at least two devices to have the same accounts and games, like Sony does with their handhelds. If they did that, it would go a long way towards making people more happy, especially considering all the device revisions they put out.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Nintendo should really be more flexible and allow at least two devices to have the same accounts and games, like Sony does with their handhelds. If they did that, it would go a long way towards making people more happy, especially considering all the device revisions they put out.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I want to buy an XL and give my son my 3DS but he won't be happy if none of the downloaded stuff comes with it. I'll probably end up selling my 3DS instead.

[quote name='007']I admit, my resolve is breaking the closer we get to the 19th. The colors are the big thing I'm still holding back on, but...[/QUOTE]

Stay strong brothers!

But I agree, it's baffling that different regions get different color choices. really like my black 3DS, and the white 3DSXL looks nice but we cant get that.

Also, most of the impressions I've read said the 3D was better, with an easier sweet spot, but one I read (forget where) said there was actually LESS depth. The main reason I want one is the supposedly better 3D. Anyone confirm/deny?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Stay strong brothers!

But I agree, it's baffling that different regions get different color choices. really like my black 3DS, and the white 3DSXL looks nice but we cant get that.

Also, most of the impressions I've read said the 3D was better, with an easier sweet spot, but one I read (forget where) said there was actually LESS depth. The main reason I want one is the supposedly better 3D. Anyone confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

Heroes of Ruin had massive depth on the XL, but I didn't play it on the 3DS. I'd be surprised if it was less.

I'm really looking forward to the 3DS XL. I don't have a 3DS and I don't have a Vita, so I think this will be a very nice upgrade. I think I'm leaning towards the Red one since it'll match my Red Wii.

...Has anyone heard of any stores doing a midnight launch? I might end up just going to Walmart...

[quote name='elessar123']Heroes of Ruin had massive depth on the XL, but I didn't play it on the 3DS. I'd be surprised if it was less.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it had a ton of depth on the regular 3DS as well. I turned it down pretty low and I usually leave it all the way up for most games.

I feel like this will be one of the games that benefits most from the larger screens since everything looks so small from the isometric viewpoint.

[quote name='elessar123']Heroes of Ruin had massive depth on the XL, but I didn't play it on the 3DS. I'd be surprised if it was less.[/QUOTE]

Cool, glad to hear it. Yeah, the general consensus I'm reading is that it has better 3D. That 1 review seems to be an outlier.

I'm gonna hold off trading in my 3DS until I can get a purple 3DS XL and possibly bundled with a game. Going nuts for the XL now doesn't seem worth the enthusiasm when I need more games for the model I have right now.

anyone know a good place to preorder? preferably an online store not linked to brick and mortar that is good about shipping preorders quickly?

leaving for vacation about a week after it comes out so i want to make sure i have it by then. no tax saves me $16

top choice at the moment is Newegg.. i know they are great about fast shipping but havent preordered anything from there so im not sure how fast they are at processing those

I want an XL, but I'm not spending more money. Maybe someday. I do love my black 3DS though. Not wanting to give up that.

[quote name='smoger']anyone know a good place to preorder? preferably an online store not linked to brick and mortar that is good about shipping preorders quickly?

leaving for vacation about a week after it comes out so i want to make sure i have it by then. no tax saves me $16

top choice at the moment is Newegg.. i know they are great about fast shipping but havent preordered anything from there so im not sure how fast they are at processing those[/QUOTE]

Could just be me, but everything I've preordered from them with free shipping has arrived the Wednesday of release week (generally 2-3 days after it comes out).

I'm hoping Gamestop announces some kind of upgrade/trade-in deal soon. I have an extra DS Lite sitting around that I'd love to use to knock down the price of the XL.

Kills me to give Nintendo anymore money for this platform after they fucked us so hard on initial costing, but convinced myself I might as well go all in at this point and grab the XL. GS only offered $50 + $25 system trade in on promo (how sad). Shipping it off to amazon this week. They don't seem to want to sell 3DS so I guess worst case is I'll spend the credit on GCs and buy it locally.

I have to admit that the 3DSXL looks very, very good but IMO the software is still lacking. This model is just so much more superior than the regular 3DS that I wouldn't even consider a regular one. The screens on this just look great. If it had the RPG's that the DS does then I would be in for one for sure but all I see for games is a very small section in Gamestop that contains a few Mario games and some shovelware. I like mostly RPG's so it is clear that besides kingdom hearts and heroes of ruin neither of which are system sellers for me that there is still nothing for me to play yet on this system. Its kind of hard for me to justify a $200 system when there would only be 1-2 games I would buy for it. There are little or no RPG's on the release lists and a Pokemon game for this system has not even been announced. I am not a fan of frustrating Mario games at all. I am sure a 3DS specific pokemon game would be a system seller for me but alas they are still making Pokemon for the regular DS so that tells me its still time for me to wait to buy this system.

As I have been through this many times before but the reason I buy systems is to play games on them and if there are no games I want to play then it becomes a system that sits and collects dust which is money down the drain for me. I won't use the other features of it as I have the latest iPod touch and I don't think anything can compare to that device in terms of all-in-one. I also purchased a PS3 a month or 2 ago so I have plenty of newer RPG's to keep me occupied and I need to get through some of those before I create even more of a backlog for myself.

I can't justify the full price point either. Sitting out till it hits at least $150 or gets a LE bundle. Especially when I still have my DSi XL working its butt off for me.

I sold my 3ds because I couldn't stand the small screen. I play my Vita just fine because of the larger screen. I will be picking the XL when it comes out :D Super excited!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I wonder how soon after launch will Amazon have Hori screen protectors for this.[/QUOTE]
Amazon claims that the Hori Protective screens will ship on the 19th aongside the release of the system. As far as color scheme goes, the Red/Black model is apparently winning the pre-order popularity contest.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm hoping Gamestop announces some kind of upgrade/trade-in deal soon. I have an extra DS Lite sitting around that I'd love to use to knock down the price of the XL.[/QUOTE]

you be lucky to get 30 bucks for a DS LITE if they do have trade ins its going to be

Trade in your

DSI XL + 150 for 3ds XL
3DS + 100 for 3ds XL

they probally wont even touch anything below a DSI XL

i just got a coupon from my credit card company giving me 12 months same as cash...

would about 19 a month breaking it up without paying interest ... tempted but my

3ds. Vita and PSP are good enough

Just called Gamestop, and still no word on a trade-in promo for the 3DS XL. They need to hurry up and figure it out, lol.

I finally got my hands on a 3DS, I'm gonna have to have the XL though...

I have a pre-order with Best Buy for in-store pickup, supposedly on the 19th. I had a DS Lite years ago, and haven't picked up the 3DS yet. Looking forward to it. I just wish they sold the Japan or European colors that aren't initially coming to North America -_-

I'm wondering about the LCD screen door effect on these larger screens (the ability to see the individual pixels).

I have a DSi XL and the screen door effect on it is distracting to me at times. I will probably avoid the 3DS XL if its as bad.

the resolution on the xl is the same as the normal 3ds, so it does have a lower pixel density, so there will be more pixelation.. so you probably want to take a look at one before you buy.

apparently they're giving you $100 for the old model if you trade in towards the new model. i called both of my locals and they confirmed this. not a bad deal, but none of them had an answer when i asked about setting up something instore for system transfers

Check out what Japan is getting:
j9trhf.jpg

Pikachu is lending his color and likeness to another sure-to-be-rare Nintendo system. A Pikachu Yellow 3DS LL will hbe released exclusively through Pokemon Center. The Pikachu-themed system is yellow on the outward facing side nad white on the inward facing side. It includes the standard accessories and carries the system's standard ¥18,900 price.

Pre-order at the Pokemon Center site. The system will be available on September 15 exclusively to pre-orderers.
http://andriasang.com/con28z/pikachu_3dsll/

I'm so jealous.

^I so would buy that Pikachu themed 3DS XL if it was released in the North America! Never owned a themed console.

Going to hold out for a themed console or a Mario/Zelda/Sonic type 3DS XL bundle.

Its pretty pixely! Tried it the other week at gamestop here in Germany!

Therefore.... I ended up getting the normal 3DS w (2 game bundle) with charger new for same price as the XL alone! Pretty happy so far!

If and this is a huge IF, Nintendo releases the LE Fire Emblem design they did on the 3DS on an XL I'm ALL IN.

They might as well take my credit card.

Love the console, dislike the colors. Currently only have my DSi XL which is the glossy red/black Mario Kart edition ~ maybe I should ebay it over the weekend.

In a weird way, I have to thank Best Buy for using my lack of impulse control up before the 3DSXL release date. I had enough credit for one after the 100% trade-in bump... but then the gaming blowout sales wiped that out.

Given I'm not thrilled with the colors and would rather wait, it's not a bad thing that my means to pick one up on Sunday disappeared. Ha.

I'm probably not getting one for launch (unless my girlfriend ends up getting me one for my birthday next week) but if there's a special edition one for black friday, I'm completely sold.

bread's done
Back