3G/Wi-Fi Vita $249.99 on Sony.com; $199.97 at B&M Sony Stores

[quote name='Nintendonly']Has anyone managed to get these working on T-Mobile?[/QUOTE]

the US ones are locked to at&t

[quote name='deadkode']the US ones are locked to at&t[/QUOTE]

But as with every cellphone and cellphone-like device, it's possible to jailbreak/unlock it.

[quote name='Nintendonly']But as with every cellphone and cellphone-like device, it's possible to jailbreak/unlock it.[/QUOTE]

even if it was unlocked, how would you change the APN?

there are some asian models that aren't locked. JP vita is locked to NTT iirc

It's been this price for a long time. I've been looking at them because I now have over 25,000 pts in sony rewards, however I just got a 50% my next redemption coupon. I think I'm going to use that towards Resident Evil Retribution 3D and just wait for the holiday bundle as others are saying.

centurycitywatermark.jpg

I was gonna post this right now.

http://www.original-gamer.com/article/5247-PS-Vita-gets-temporary-price-cut-in-America

that 199.97 looks like a clearance price...isnt this bad that sonys own store is clearancing the vita??? Im being serious not trying to start shit. Ive had my vita since day 1.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']that 199.97 looks like a clearance price...isnt this bad that sonys own store is clearancing the vita??? Im being serious not trying to start shit. Ive had my vita since day 1.[/QUOTE]
Just means they're trying to move them. It most likely means we'll be seeing a memory card size increase (how they make all their money any how...) and a permanent price drop.

I would rather wait for the rumored 4g/hdmi model than purchase a 3g vita. I had the 3g and the online functionality was way too limited (better to get the wi-fi only). I think they need to phase out the 3g completely, and introduce the newer model soon to address those deficiencies.

[quote name='Woocls']Just means they're trying to move them. It most likely means we'll be seeing a memory card size increase (how they make all their money any how...) and a permanent price drop.[/QUOTE]

I think the original poster meant the .97 looks like a "clearance" price, not that it's $199. If it were $199.99 it wouldn't look like clearance. To me 97c makes me think Walmart, everything clearance at Target ends with an 8.

What I don't get is why Sony would make this Sony store only? How many Vita are sold in Sony stores compared to Amazon, Gamestop, Walmart, TRU, etc.? This will get more attention than sales, and may keep people from buying them elesewhere who can't get to a Sony store.

I'm sure they are dropping the 3G model, perhaps to be replaced with a 4G model. But perhaps they are just going to drop the cellular model entirely and not replace it. Stick with WiFi-only. Either way this seems like a pretty good deal. Too bad the timing is terrible for me.

between limited functionality and data caps in the u.s. 3g seems useless on the vita (granted i bought this bundle 2 weeks ago as i prefered the 8gb card over a game)

I might actually wait for a PS4/Vita combo deal. It sounds like they'll work great together, and I can wait on both.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm sure they are dropping the 3G model, perhaps to be replaced with a 4G model. But perhaps they are just going to drop the cellular model entirely and not replace it. Stick with WiFi-only. Either way this seems like a pretty good deal. Too bad the timing is terrible for me.[/QUOTE]

This jives with at&t and the fire sale of vita stuff over the weekend, so I'll agree.

article just popped up on ign as well

Mainly picked up my vita for the ps4 streaming, I have high hopes for it

[quote name='yuyak']If I get a 3G vita, is there any obligation to sign up for a dataplan?[/QUOTE]

Only if you want the free game, I believe, but that's it. You don't have to continuously have a data plan.

I went to the Sony store in U-Village last night and picked one up. Talking to a couple of the sales reps there, it seems like this whole discount on Vitas and games is due to the stores not really selling much in that department. I also highly suspect a new model/price drop at E3, despite what Yoshida has said. Whatever the case, it's a win for the consumer.

Yeah, I'm also hoping for a major E3 announcement. I posted previously that Sony should drop the price of the wi-fi only & remaining 3g models to $199 (comparable to Japan's recent cut). Introduce the new 4g/hdmi model at $249 as the top end Vita. We know Sony filed a patent with the additional ports, so the only issue is when this new model gets released. There was no way I was going to keep my 3g launch Vita (couldn't download anything over 20 MB and no realtime multiplayer over 3g, rendering it useless relative to wifi, though it does have gps)

Finally, lower the price of the memory cards, and as customary during the holiday season, introduce more bundles to further augment sales so this system can succeed.

bread's done
Back