3rd Party Memory Cards whats your experience

dwsscs

CAGiversary!
Someone in another post said the 3rd party memory cards are bad, and I have heard this from tons of people. I have never had bad luck with them.

I have owned 3rd party memory cards (being a true CAG, if I had problems I would have bought the Sony or Nintendo ones) for all of my systems - N64, PSX, PS2, and GC and have never had any problems. I don't understand why everyone always complains about this!

Almost all of my memory cards are 3rd party. I had a problem with one of those PS1 megamemory cards and another cheap one I got from TRU crapped out, but all in all they've been quite reliable for my PS2, GC and DC.

They suck, my megamemory card for the playstation deleted stuff. I have some cheap Nuby memory cards for my playstation, but I keep my saves off of those if I can.

Haven't had any problems with mine. I've got 3rd party memory cards for PSOne, DC, N64 and GC and none of them have ever deleted or corrupted anything.

I have 3 memory cards for my GC. 2 of them are cheap 3rd party cards that I bought at EB for $4 or so. They have done fine. I recently picked up a third card, this time an official Nintendo 1019 card to back up everything on. It's working just fine, too. So no complaints all around.

I don't buy 3rd party, becuase they suck. My nephews 3rd party memory card for Gamecube just crapped out last week. IMO, you get what you pay for...

I've used a 3rd party PS2 card since launch (I've never had an official Sony one) and it's never had any problems.

the one 3rd party card ive gotten was for psone, and it erased itself randomly.... goodbye 60 hours of xenogears.

after that tragic experience i shall never buy another 3rd party card ever

Sucktacular.

I had a 8 page MC for PSone that I was using for save backups incase something happened to the other cards I have and a few music compositions in Music generator, I came back to the card one day to find ALL but one of the pages had died and become unuseable.

Never again.

I have a 3rd party Nyko 128M for GC works perfect had it since launch.

I also have two Madcatz Magicgate Memory Cards for PS2. Also had these both since launch with no problems whatsoever.

I have only one NON-MC for PS(Gameshark) which has worked fine for me but I still wouldn't buy MC for PS since I had problems with a 3rd Party I bought from EB, specifically EB's brand. shakes head.

Seems like most of the problems here are being chased back to PS1 itself. So they might have improved since then, IMO (I even had no problems with the PS1).

I could understand being careful with your saves, but this stuff is probably manufactured in the same factory. Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Microsoft, etc. gets other companies to make stuff for them under their name.

I had a PS memory card that decided to errase itself at a certain part of Final Fantasy VII. The wired thing was that it was a friend's copy, and when I got my own copy of FF VII and played that part the memory card errased itself again, but at that point I had all of my PSX saves on my PS2 memory card. I also have a third party PS2 memory card that I've had no problems with.

I had a lot of problem with early PS1 memory cards but more recent ones have been fine. Third party cards for more recent systems haven't given me any problems. I believe the newer designs lend themselves to better reliability and flash memory has become more of a commodity with greater reliability in its own right.

I realized how much 3rd party memory cards suck when one crapped out in the middle of the Legend of Dragoon. So much time wasted... I've been 1st party ever since.

I hat a 3rd party (NYKO I believe) memory card for PS1 back in the day that had ALL my Squaresoft games saved on it.

Lo and behold, one day I turn on my PS1 to play FFVII and ALL my saved games are gone. My FVII save, my Brave Fencer Musashi save (RIGHT at the end with almost EVERY action figure....), my Saga Frontier save, and SEVERAL more.

Since that day, I've only bought 1st party products. (Not that it saved my PS2 mem card from the damned Viewtiful Joe 2 demo........argh)

Cards that use compressions suck. Cards that don't are as reliable as 1st party - which is, very reliable, but not 100%.

As with computers, make sure the data you really need is backed up regularly.

I had a third party card for PS1 way back then. It started out by losing my nearly complete Wild Arms save and soon after my PS1 couldn't recognize any memory cards at all. I had to exchange my ps1 for a new one and I've stuck to first party ever since.

Let's see, I had a bad experience with the Playstation third party card. Luckily, I didn't lose anything.

But, I own a Nyko for the Gamecube, and it's worked fine for me. I haven't lost anything on it. I even had it in the system when my motherboard got shot to heck, and it didn't have any issues, and if it had erased then, i would have forgiven it.

I also have a PS2 memory card expander (you plug your memory card into it, and it gives you 16mb more of memory. I haven't had any issues with it either. So, maybe they are improving over the last few years (I have also bought a new PS1 memory card because I needed one and it was cheap. I haven't had any issues with it (though, if I started a rpg, I would save it onto a new card every so often so I wouldn't lose everything if it did die.

amazing how everyones PSX mem cards screwed them over. Anyone have trouble with 3rd party mem cards on a non-sony console ?

bread's done
Back