40% off Gold with The MAW and R-Type

Nice deal especially since I want R-Type. Do I have to call to cancel my subscription though? Can I buy it with MS points to circumvent the auto-renewal?

Meh, my quick research shows I do need to call to cancel and no, I can't use MS points.

So, if that's the case, can I cancel the renew anytime or do I have to wait till the last month?

Update: Chose the dash promotion and changed payment options to prepaid card. Hope I still get the extra games. Of course I might not know till 6-8 weeks for their e-donkey to travel through the internet's series of tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Antipodes']
So, if that's the case, can I cancel the renew anytime or do I have to wait till the last month?[/QUOTE]

I to wish to know this.

Hmm, I believe you can disable auto-renewal through Xbox.com, just sign-in and go to Accounts and click on Upgrade/Manage Account. I think, I'm finally going to upgrade, and take advantage of the 40% off Xbox Live 12-Month Gold Subscription with two free XBLA games!!!...

I really want R-Type: Dimensions and The Maw looks interesting...:bouncy:

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Hmm, I believe you can disable auto-renewal through Xbox.com, just sign-in and go to Accounts and click on Upgrade/Manage Account. I think, I'm finally going to upgrade, and take advantage of the 40% off Xbox Live 12-Month Gold Subscription with two free XBLA games!!!...

I really want R-Type: Dimensions and The Maw looks interesting...:bouncy:
[/QUOTE]

You can't anymore. They recently changed it so you HAVE to call them. Previously you could do it on the dashboard or on the website, now just the phone.

[quote name='Antipodes'] So, if that's the case, can I cancel the renew anytime or do I have to wait till the last month?[/QUOTE]

You can call and turn auto-renew off at any time, allowing your subscription to run out when finished.

I would jump on that deal if it came up for me. All I ever see is 2 years for $25 off. And I think I have less than 2 months left on my current sub.

[quote name='funkflexmctough']You can't anymore. They recently changed it so you HAVE to call them. Previously you could do it on the dashboard or on the website, now just the phone.

You can call and turn auto-renew off at any time, allowing your subscription to run out when finished.[/QUOTE]I have to second this statement, since when MS redesigned the Xbox.com website right before Kinect launched, they removed the auto-renew option from the site. You have to call them to get it done, and they don't make it easy to do so.

My Xbox subscription just ran out on Monday and I've been waiting for a 12 month card in the mail from Amazon when LO AND BEHOLD this deal pops up on my Dashboard. Just waiting for my game codes and I'll be one happy customer :D

[quote name='shrike4242']I have to second this statement, since when MS redesigned the Xbox.com website right before Kinect launched, they removed the auto-renew option from the site. You have to call them to get it done, and they don't make it easy to do so.[/QUOTE]

It's still there, or at least it was when I used their website to turn off auto-renew in late December. I'd provide a direct link, but they no longer display the option for those who have already turned it off.

After being on hold for 35 minutes trying to get my auto-renewal turned off -- xbox customer support then went through another 5 minutes of sales to get me to accept their 39.99 12 month rate. I laughed at the guy and he admitted that their billing service and xbox renewal auto-turn off is not working out so good. I actually felt sorry for the guy because of this policy tat you have to call and wait for 30+ minutes and listen to sales spiel to get the Auto-renewal turned off. Then I realized that I just spent 40 minutes of cell phone time and told him that his employer sucks worse than inhaling carbon dioxide through the tailpipe of an idling schoolbus . . .

[quote name='mikwiz']After being on hold for 35 minutes trying to get my auto-renewal turned off -- xbox customer support then went through another 5 minutes of sales to get me to accept their 39.99 12 month rate. I laughed at the guy and he admitted that their billing service and xbox renewal auto-turn off is not working out so good. I actually felt sorry for the guy because of this policy tat you have to call and wait for 30+ minutes and listen to sales spiel to get the Auto-renewal turned off. Then I realized that I just spent 40 minutes of cell phone time and told him that his employer sucks worse than inhaling carbon dioxide through the tailpipe of an idling schoolbus . . .[/QUOTE]

That's when a deal stops being a deal to me :(

You shouldn't feel sorry for the guy, he's paid to do that job. But yeah, you shouldn't blame him either since it's MS's policy and not his.

My subscription is set to renew on February 14th, next Monday. If I want this deal I just need to call them, cancel it, wait til I'm silver again, then take the deal to get these games?

[quote name='Tonious']My subscription is set to renew on February 14th, next Monday. If I want this deal I just need to call them, cancel it, wait til I'm silver again, then take the deal to get these games?[/QUOTE]

Yep. And instead of saying "cancel", just ask for "auto-renew" to be turned off... assuming these deals are still available on or after 2/14....

Does it really take 6-8 weeks for them to mail the game codes? Or has anyone got them sooner with this deal or previous similar deals?

I was wondering about the 6-8 week thing too. It's a great deal and my backlog is long enough for that to not be a problem, but it's just a code, you would think they would already have the codes ready - unless there is some kind of way to cancel within those 6-8 weeks and they are making sure you keep it before giving you the bonus.

Overall though, the deal is good enough by itself to have gotten me, even without the games. Those just make it an amazing deal - and very timely with MvC3 coming out in less than 2 weeks.

I'm curious if anyone knew when this offer ends. I'm still a bit on the fence and was wondering due to finances and expenses. There doesn't seem to be a listed date on the bottom fine print, but I would assume it would be either end of the week or month.

can someone tell me where this deal is at even on the dashboard i saw it like two days ago now i cant even find it

Got an email about this deal today. Fine print (below) answers some of the questions I've seen in this thread. Codes tied to XBLA account and deal ends 2/13.

*Limited time offer good only for named recipients of this e-mail who are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia 17 years or older. To receive The Maw and R-Type Dimensions you must purchase a 12-month Xbox LIVE Gold membership from one of the links in this e-mail or from the Xbox LIVE Dashboard on your Xbox 360 console between 12:01AM on February 3, 2011 and 11:59PM on February 13, 2011, while supplies last. Microsoft reserves right to expire offer at any time. Offer cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash, or combined with other offers. Offer not valid on prior purchases. Limit one gift per person. Codes redeemable for each game be sent to the e-mail address tied to the Xbox LIVE account used to register for the offer within 6-8 weeks after the offer end date. Valid e-mail required. Any e-mail returned as non-deliverables will not be re-sent. After promotional 12 months, your membership will automatically renew to a monthly membership at the then-current price unless you change your renewal or cancel before your membership ends. Pricing details can be viewed in the Account Management area of your gamer profile. Sponsor: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.

I ordered this last night and didn't really read it (long night), lol. So the codes get emailed? When do I receive the codes, in weeks? :(

[quote name='typikal82']So the codes get emailed? When do I receive the codes, in weeks? :([/QUOTE]
The post previous to yours answers both of those questions.

My sub recently ended and I had no plans to renew. Then low and behold I see this on my dashboard.. caved in. Waiting for my codes now.

Cool that we're getting codes. I love shooters, so I'm gonna d/l R-Type but I already own the Maw.

The Maw code up for trade! (whenever it comes in, lol)

bread's done
Back