40% off select titles at Gamestop

Yeah, looks like it's up TO 40% off. Not all games are marked down that much. I guess MUA 2 is a good deal if you have some GS credit built up.

I CANNOT BELIEVE COD:WAW IS STILL SELLING FOR ABOVE $20!!! -rant off. sorry, I know a lot of you love Nazi Zombies, but I could never get into that one. Plus its old now and been replaced. that is almost SOP for game prices when the next iteration comes out..and yeah, nothing there for me..thanks anyway OP.

[quote name='djdave2010']Wow, crappy games 40% off. Gamestop is really going the distance for gamers...

:roll:[/QUOTE]
I hope by now that everyone knows Gamestop isn't the place to go for deals. Every now and then there's good power trade deals, but I can't justify spending 60$ on a game and getting back maybe 8 bucks, no matter how much I hated the game or how many times I've beaten the game.

GameStop is trash and should be abolished as soon as humanly possible. I'm not necessarily for digital distribution, but when the OnLive service does officially launch it'll hopefully assist in the downfall of that disgustingly operated business. I still prefer a physical copy of my game, but we've all got to change with the times or be left behind.

World at War keeps selling thats the problem. If you looked at Major Nelson's recently Live activity World at War I believe was still the third or forth most played game, and the first Modern Warfare wasn't too far behind it. I don't know how well WAW will do when the next Call of Duty is released in November, but for now WAW is still a popular game to the point where It's still worth buying if your into multiplayer because you can still easily get into games. Plus it still different enough with the setting (different set of guns, ability to control tanks etc.) compared to MW2.

My only gripe with WAW is the fact that when the host leaves the game quits out (unlike MW2 where 90% of the time it will pick a new host) and if you didn't buy any of the new maps they'll still show in the lobby, and if you don't have the map when the game starts it kicks you out and opens the guide to the marketplace screaming "Buy the maps now damnit!."

[quote name='SativaSam']I hope by now that everyone knows Gamestop isn't the place to go for deals. Every now and then there's good power trade deals, but I can't justify spending 60$ on a game and getting back maybe 8 bucks, no matter how much I hated the game or how many times I've beaten the game.[/QUOTE]
Really, for me the only reason to go to Gamestop is when they run a B2G1 free sale on used games. Otherwise they aren't doing anyone any favors (deal-wise).

A bit harsh woody, its just a one week, Christmas has been generous everywhere with deals one way or another. I like GS because we have an awesome staff around here. Gamestop is a place to used for convenience. Not for deals. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

gamestop's trade in policy is a complete joke...
gamestop "great news, you get $3 in cash or $6 in credit on this game that were gonna sell for $50
me "F U CK u gamestop"
places llike bookmans in phoenix give you half of what they sell it for in store credit and around a quarter in cash....... its sad for gamestop when other places offer more cash than gamestop does in credit.......
i dont understand people that sell their games at gamestop

I think I may bite on MUA2 ...that's not a bad price and I have plenty of credit left over from the $20 credit promotion.

yeah, Gamestop is definitely not for gamers looking for a deal. It's for the 90% of game buyers (incl soccer moms) who don't know, or care enough to know, about the vast differences in prices if you just do a little shopping.

And as far as digital distribution (DD), I hate the idea simply b/c I won't be able to use eBay to re-sell games. That would just be crushing to my game-playing efforts. When combined w/ deals (often found on CAG) on buying games, I'm usually able to get close to, if not more, than I paid for a game when I sell on eBay. But DD does seem like that's the way it's going. Maybe not during this console cycle, but definitely when the next one hits its stride, DD will probably outpace regular disc sales.

In fairness to GS, though, I should note that you can get *decent* used deals by using B2G1 in combo w/ recent price drops......so they got that going for 'em.

[quote name='dreamerslost']gamestop's trade in policy is a complete joke...
gamestop "great news, you get $3 in cash or $6 in credit on this game that were gonna sell for $50
me "F U CK u gamestop"
places llike bookmans in phoenix give you half of what they sell it for in store credit and around a quarter in cash....... its sad for gamestop when other places offer more cash than gamestop does in credit.......
i dont understand people that sell their games at gamestop[/QUOTE]

Please don't post anymore.

[quote name='evanft']Please don't post anymore.[/QUOTE]

so sorry to bash on your favorite store evenft, i guess your one of the ones who likes to throw your money away to greedy corporate types. i might do less complaining if they actually passed some of those huge profits onto their meagerly paid employees....... even if it was in discounts on stuff.... but they dont even do that

I'm surprised none of the little children here called it "Game$top," yet, because that's what makes their posts reeeeeeeeeeeeeally cool. Oh, and it should be "abolished?" Who is gonna "abolish" a store? Wow...

[quote name='dreamerslost']so sorry to bash on your favorite store evenft, i guess your one of the ones who likes to throw your money away to greedy corporate types. i might do less complaining if they actually passed some of those huge profits onto their meagerly paid employees....... even if it was in discounts on stuff.... but they dont even do that[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Sorry to everyone else, but I'm joining his rant. CoD:WaW at $44.99 is fucking stupid, and you all know it.

This is nothing new. Along with BB, GS rarely runs a deal worth mentioning. Almost all of that is junk. I have Prototype and will wait on Band Hero until it's more like $20-$30.

I've bought plenty from GS in the past thanks to their B2G1's. Now it seems the stock never has what I'm looking for and other stores are running better deals on NEW games, so I'm waiting a little longer for those.

To the guy talking about digitial distribution, shut it. We will not allow our physical games to vanish or the gaming market is going to go away. I will not support a move to all DLC, I don't even support DLC that's over $10 except in the case of Wipeout on PSN. If there's no disc, box, or manual, the game isn't worth more than that.

I highly recommend not buying anything from Gamestop online. 3 weeks later and I'm still waiting on a replacement copy of Batman AA which came absolutely destroyed. It looks like someone just took it and rubbed it against the pavement. How I can trade in games that look almost new and get hit with a refurb charge but then receive something like this is just bullshit to me.

I am going to step in and say GS is like any other retailer out there, they just get more hate because they are a Game store and people think because it is a game store and they are gamers that they should mark down games all the time to benefit gamers.

You are all CAGs like me and look for deals, you all also should know that GS and many other big retailers are not the places to go to find deals.

I really wish they would mark down games more often, I really do, but it is the gamers version of corporate America, they are not in it for us, no matter how much they advertise it, it is NOT "Power to the Players" or whatever their current tagline is. They are in it to make money, and we are smart, we know better on whats a deal, and what is not a deal, but casual gamers don't.

Now for the benefits of gamestop, You are an Edge club member, you save 10% on used. They have some very good deals on used from time to time as well. Even new games have price drops. The B2G1 deals are nice as well, as well as a few, and I mean very few of the Power trades.

Bottom line is, They are not the best, but hey, its there, and its an option if ya need it. It is nice to have somewhere to go if ya need a gaming fix now and then. I worked there, and judging from this sale, these are games that did not sell or stopped selling, and they are testing out prices to see if a small drop helps.

That MUA2 is almost at a good price. The rest of the deals are fairly lame. As long as I keep getting $25 GCs for filling out surveys, I'll continue to support my local GS. I've had zero bad experiences, and convenience alone makes them a viable option. I even get an employee discount from time to time as I'm on good terms with my GS.

[quote name='aspower']That MUA2 is almost at a good price. The rest of the deals are fairly lame. As long as I keep getting $25 GCs for filling out surveys, I'll continue to support my local GS. I've had zero bad experiences, and convenience alone makes them a viable option. I even get an employee discount from time to time as I'm on good terms with my GS.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother! Ive been doing that for over 3 years now. Does your place let you cash out more than once every 3 months?

This is funny. Wasting time to bitch about a store that sells video games just like 100+ other retail stores. Just don't waste time going there and you won't have to waste time bitching. :)

I am not a gamestop fan, their used game prices are almost like new prices. Their trade in value's suck. However, if you are looking for an older title that is no longer sold at the other stores, they come in handy. Occasionally, I will come across an older game, around $9.99 that is new and sealed and get a good deal. They have a few uses.

[quote name='Monsta Mack'] if you didn't buy any of the new maps they'll still show in the lobby, and if you don't have the map when the game starts it kicks you out and opens the guide to the marketplace screaming "Buy the maps now damnit!."[/QUOTE]

I fuckin hated that! Very, very frustrating! :cry: Contributed to me getting rid of the game!

[quote name='Nitro_']I am not a gamestop fan, their used game prices are almost like new prices. Their trade in value's suck. However, if you are looking for an older title that is no longer sold at the other stores, they come in handy. Occasionally, I will come across an older game, around $9.99 that is new and sealed and get a good deal. They have a few uses.[/QUOTE]

In store probably. But with B2G1 free, and If you get it online (while using permanent discounts like CAG16+edge) it becomes $35 vs $64 and $40 vs $64 (with a 7% tax) making their costs a good $20-25 off new. Its about knowing when to buy which is like EVERY OTHER STORE. Also their trade in values arent too bad depending on what youre trading in. (i.e. i bought UC2 for $35 and traded it in for $32.50 after 2 weeks)

[quote name='discordman']I am going to step in and say GS is like any other retailer out there[/QUOTE]

Normally I'd disagree, but in this case you're correct. The vast majority of the titles are Activision - put the blame there where it belongs. Amazon has Call of Duty: WaW as well as CoD: Modern Warfare 1 for $45 and $47, respectively. They haven't dropped the MSRP on those titles yet, and it's quite absurd, especially in the case of CoD:MW1.

[quote name='discordman']I am going to step in and say GS is like any other retailer out there, they just get more hate because they are a Game store and people think because it is a game store and they are gamers that they should mark down games all the time to benefit gamers.

You are all CAGs like me and look for deals, you all also should know that GS and many other big retailers are not the places to go to find deals.

I really wish they would mark down games more often, I really do, but it is the gamers version of corporate America, they are not in it for us, no matter how much they advertise it, it is NOT "Power to the Players" or whatever their current tagline is. They are in it to make money, and we are smart, we know better on whats a deal, and what is not a deal, but casual gamers don't.

Now for the benefits of gamestop, You are an Edge club member, you save 10% on used. They have some very good deals on used from time to time as well. Even new games have price drops. The B2G1 deals are nice as well, as well as a few, and I mean very few of the Power trades.

Bottom line is, They are not the best, but hey, its there, and its an option if ya need it. It is nice to have somewhere to go if ya need a gaming fix now and then. I worked there, and judging from this sale, these are games that did not sell or stopped selling, and they are testing out prices to see if a small drop helps.[/QUOTE]
I agree. GS is evil, but a necessary evil. I, like most, despise digital distribution. But we all know it is coming whether we like it or not. Eventually the consoles will be Full-DD, then places like GS will be out of business, the market will be cornered and everyone will be paying $59.99 (or more, there's nothing to stop them) with no way to coup some of our money back.

How many of us grabbed pennied guides, crushed them on the FNR4 deal, traded in multiple free (or $5 shovelware) games to them for $20 with bonuses and scored big on the Trade 2 get a new release game for $20 during the holidays? SMB Wii for $10 (after trades) was an absolute steal!!

Like Discordman said, we all know where to score the deals, the "sheep" do not. GS is about making money off the "ill-informed", so let them be.

BTW to all those complaining CoD WaW is so expensive, its sub $20 used. Some of you may care that its used but I personally don't (that and i see almost everyone praising the quality of Gamefly discs when Gamestops have always been equal for me to gamefly's, though this is my personal experience.)

[quote name='aspower']That MUA2 is almost at a good price. The rest of the deals are fairly lame. As long as I keep getting $25 GCs for filling out surveys, I'll continue to support my local GS. I've had zero bad experiences, and convenience alone makes them a viable option. I even get an employee discount from time to time as I'm on good terms with my GS.[/QUOTE]

wait $25 to fill out a survey where im in.

[quote name='discordman']I am going to step in and say GS is like any other retailer out there, they just get more hate because they are a Game store and people think because it is a game store and they are gamers that they should mark down games all the time to benefit gamers.

Bottom line is, They are not the best, but hey, its there, and its an option if ya need it. It is nice to have somewhere to go if ya need a gaming fix now and then. I worked there, and judging from this sale, these are games that did not sell or stopped selling, and they are testing out prices to see if a small drop helps.[/QUOTE]

:applause: I couldn't have said it better than myself.

I can officially say that this past year I have not bought anything from GS/EB store and I will continue to do so.

Activision blows. They didn't even give us a decent deal for steam's holiday sale. Couldn't even be bothered to offer up a $5 COD2 or something similar for one of their older games. Guess they thought it'd hurt CODMW2's sales or something.

Alright, first off, I would like someone to cite an example of Gamestop giving them $6 for a game they are going to sell at $50. If a game sells for around $50, you are more than likely going to get around $15 for it. In addition to that, a lot of trade values are supply and demand. I remember less than a year after GTA San Andreas came out, I went to trade it in to Gamecrazy, and they were only going to give me $0.58 for it, because they had over 30 copies already turned in. Why should a video game store give you half the value of a game if they already have a crapload of copies in store? For people like me, who are willing to spend $60 on the titles that they want, Gamestop is a pretty good place to shop. They frequently have power trade promotions going on, which work splendidly with high TIV games.

I think the biggest problem here is everyone expects Gamestop to be their friend and good buddy because it is a specialty store for gamers. Like it or not, they are a business, and they need to make money. And they are doing just that. If you hate it so much, stop shopping there. As for me, having worked for a video game store before, I know what deals are good and what deals are bullshit. I am smart enough to shop with Gamestop and not get ripped off. If you are feeling ripped off all the time, then you're doing it wrong.

Why does every GS thread have to be derailed and turn into a whine fest, yes we know a lot of people dont like GS. Trust me it has been said pleanty of times, we get it.

I disagree.
I think the issue with gamestop and perhaps the gaming market in general is that the price decreases aren't what they once were.
the prices used to be more realistic. used games were about ten dollars cheaper, now they're about two or four (yet cost ten dollars more on modern systems).

we can try and quell the dissent but all the stores that are charging that little bit extra are the ones that are starting to go out of business.

[quote name='dreamerslost']gamestop's trade in policy is a complete joke...
me "F U CK u gamestop"
i dont understand people that sell their games at gamestop[/QUOTE]
Yeah man they're just greedy corporate assholes, sitting in their corporation buildings acting all corporation-y. :roll:

If you don't like the store or their policies or prices, good for you, don't shop there. But making foolish false claims doesn't exactly give your argument any weight. I don't shop there often, but sometimes their trade deals are pretty solid, and they carry TONS of games, which the bigger retailers rotate out because of sales numbers. It's not like Gamestop is some thug retailer that is evil and bent on world domination here...

I'm not trying to defend gamestop, cause honestly I could give a fuck where anyone else shops or whatever, I'm commenting on this blind, uninformed, ignorant bullshit thread-shitting that people just post willy-nilly lately here. Half of the games on that list are $2-4 less than Amazon, and the other half are on-par or $2 more. It's not great, it's not deal of the century, it's just a deal. And many people here have Gamestop Credit to burn, so even if it's $2 more than Amazon, it's still a better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brother Daz']Why does every GS thread have to be derailed and turn into a whine fest, yes we know a lot of people dont like GS. Trust me it has been said pleanty of times, we get it.[/QUOTE]

Too many frustrated game developers posting on CAG? :cool:

bread's done
Back