40" or Larger 1080P 120Hz Tv

Musichead13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm looking into upgrading my SD TV immediately. I would like this TV for sports, especially hockey and football. I am also an avid gamer. My wife wants me to spend around 1000 but I don't want to regret not spending an extra few hundred. Here are my choices and would like any input from experience. Is there a great difference between Tvs with and without 120Hz?? I can save a few hundred or upgrade size if I don't buy 120Hz but I don't want to be disapointed with blurring.

Vizio 42" http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=408191 Cheapest of the bunch but not a member of Sams and don't know somene who is. Tack another 50 on for membership card and tax

Sharp 42" http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-L...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232922484&sr=8-2

Samsung 40" http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232922546&sr=8-5

Any other suggesions are appreciated.

I have a similar thread in the deal discussion where people talk about good TV's and bad etc.

As far as 120 vs 60 goes, I went to a local store here and saw for myself, There was a slight difference, but not enough for me to really go with a 120hz set I don't think

that sharp is one that I was looking at as well

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the 120hz was worth it because I watch a TON of sports and the slightest ghosting drives me nuts. I recently purchased a Samsung 40" and couldn't be happier with it.

Go with the Samsung. I am still iffy on Vizio despite the good reviews. Whatever you do please for the love of god stay away from Sharp televisions. I owned a Sharp TV and they are garbage and everyone I know hates them. If you can find a Toshiba with the specs you are looking for go with that. Toshiba's for the price are the best TV's your money can buy.

Got a Samsung LN40A650 about a month ago. Best money I have spent on a TV. Keep an eye out in weekly ads last week it was $1199 at BB, a month ago I price matched for the same price when I saw it cheaper at 5th ave electronics online. It's 40 inch LCD 120Hz, 1080p, very high contrast ratio, and plenty of hookups. Everyone I have shown it to, can not believe how good it looks, and I have owned many HD tv's over the last few years.

[quote name='silent h3ro']I hear those Sharps are crap. I would go with the Vizio or the Samsung. The Samsung is by far the best of the three.[/QUOTE]Sharp Aquous models are fantastic. Vizio has a good picture, but has but has the 2nd worst quality (my Vizio broke in 2-3 months, but thankfully Sam's has an easy return policy).

I ended up getting an 47" LG, 1080p @ 120Hz for $909 (which sells for $1800 at some places, because I bought an open boxed one (works fine). It was priced at $959, but was given an extra $50 off because the salesman could not find the remote to a 42" Sharp Aquous (which was 1080p and 120Hz, at $850). Since I also got a 2nd HDTV (a 42" LG 720p, my parents were okay with no 1080p), I got an extra $100 off on both TVs together (The other TV was $600 before $100 off).

My hint is if people want to get a good deal and have the money, ask the salesman what happens if you buy two TVs.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Sharp Aquous models are fantastic.[/quote]It's not a terrible television, but they have cheap (low quality) panels. The Vizio's are pretty much a hit or a miss.

[quote name='silent h3ro']It's not a terrible television, but they have cheap (low quality) panels. The Vizio's are pretty much a hit or a miss.[/QUOTE]The Aquous is actually pretty high quality from what I heard (and can compete with many of the better HDTVs). Their non Aquous line on the other hand aren't so great.

Vizio is a hit or miss, but I do continue to see a significant number of them brought back into Sam's Club (compared to some other brands). I know a few (not many) who had their Vizio last.
[quote name='Thongsy']What's wrong with Sharp? Maybe the non-aquos line. I have a aquos and it is great. Both SD and HD signals.[/QUOTE]Pretty much. The Sharp's I had lasted for a while too (not a problem).

I wouldn't go with sharp. They have banding issues. Samsung is the way to go for sure. Go to avsforum.com and just search the model numbers of the TVs you are interested in and read their threads. Thats the best place for honest information.

[quote name='genfuyung']I wouldn't go with sharp. They have banding issues. Samsung is the way to go for sure. Go to avsforum.com and just search the model numbers of the TVs you are interested in and read their threads. Thats the best place for honest information.[/quote]

From my research, the banding is limited to a certain model of sets and the 65U and' 85U's don't have it

The sharp I had was a 50 inch Aquous the color on it was absolutely terrible, the sound was awful, and seeing motion blur on typical programing was a complete joke. I bought it at 6th Ave Electronics, which gave me the run around for returning it. I eventually got them to take the POS back and got a Toshiba. I have been buying Toshiba's for over 25 years and have never once had an issue with one.

So, pretty much, go to Best Buy or some other electronics store and see it for yourself. My tv isn't 120Hz but I don't see any blurring or banding issues at all on it. Everything will vary by model and brand, and personal preferences, you'll need to see it with your own eyes before making such a large purchase.

Sears has Sony Bravia Z-Series KDL-40Z4100 120 Hz for $1199.99 or you can buy Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100 at Bestbuy for $999.99(it doens't have 120hz though) and you can use 10% off BB coupon to make it sweeter

I would HIGHLY suggest going into a store and looking at the difference between a 60hz and a 120 hz tv. A lot of people (myself included) can't stand they way that 120hz makes everything look fake. 60hz doesn't cause blur. Shitty tvs and content do. Stay away from vizio

Samsung/ Sony for LCD, Panasonic for plasma. Pioneer if you can afford it. Plasma is by far the best for gaming. I just upgraded my 46 sony bravia to a 1080p panasonic 50'.

Even though the picture is clear on plasma, I want to stay away from them because of burn in and the television is going to be in a sunny living room and I don't want to deal with glare.

Got excited when my wife came home with the Best Buy ad showing the Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100 INCLUDING 120hz. I checked online for reviews of the TV and found out that model doesn't include 120hz. Was ready to stop down there and pick it up right before my men's hockey league.

Where can you get a 10% off Best Buy Coupon?

get the sony w4100 , it has 120hz and i have it. Let me tell you everyone has commented on how awesome shows/movies/ etc.. look.

I am not dissapointed at all!

Does anyone know where the best place to buy a TV from is? I was thinking amazon because of their prices and free shipping/no tax but other recommendations are appreciated.

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']Just got this TV and I think it looks great.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=393519[/QUOTE]The only thing that concerns me about that TV (I almost got it myself) was that it lacks digital optical, don't think it has a VGA input (I could be wrong on that one), and I saw quite a number of them returned to Sam's Club (especially in the return section and several boxes of returned ones). It might have been a bad batch or something else, but that's what had me a bit unsure about it (so I got something else). Still no where near as bad as Vizio.

Are you completely married to the idea of getting a flat panel? I bought this Samsung DLP late last summer and couldn't be happier with it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753734&type=product&id=1202649765525

You get all the bells and whistles you get with LCDs, with a much larger screen for the price and arguably a better picture than you'll get with either plasma or LCD, especially for sports and games. You'll have to replace the lamp eventually ($100-$150) but probably not until after 2000 hours or so, if I'm not mistaken. I spent a massive amount of time doing research for a new TV when my old set went on the fritz and this was the best I came up with for approximately $1000. AVSforum.com has a lot of information. People had a lot of problems with the 550 line (they made the cabinet too thin) and apparently with the 750s (new LED technology) but most people seem to be happy with the 650s--I definitely am.

[quote name='genfuyung']I'd say plasma is the worst due to burn in.

Theres a lot of static images in gaming.[/QUOTE]

Any decent newer plasma will not burn while playing games. burn in only happens if you leave a pause screen on for hours.

[quote name='genfuyung']I'd say plasma is the worst due to burn in.

Theres a lot of static images in gaming.[/quote]

please stop spreading false information, please link me to this genius discovery of yours.

fact vs consumers made up visions is false.

i would go for a plasma because plasmas have no motion blurr and you watch a lot of sports.

u only get image burn if u TRY. like u turn on ABC and leave it there for like 4+ hours straight. New Plasmas have the feature where if u dont change anything on ur tv, itll change it after like an hour or so, even then ull have a tiny bit of ghosting u cant even notice that goes away after like 2 minutes.

Plasma's blacks are way better then LCDs and if u watch movies consider getting a plasma.

u said you are an avid gamer, but i know people who playd COD4 for 5+ hrs straight and got zero burn in.

i suggest

a 46pz80u Panasonic plasma from 6ave.com it is $1072 shipped, or if your local BB has it they have it for $999.99

u can get a way bigger plasma with better PQ then an LCD. i think u can get a 50" 1080P for like $1300 shipped from amazon.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The only thing that concerns me about that TV (I almost got it myself) was that it lacks digital optical, don't think it has a VGA input (I could be wrong on that one), and I saw quite a number of them returned to Sam's Club (especially in the return section and several boxes of returned ones). It might have been a bad batch or something else, but that's what had me a bit unsure about it (so I got something else). Still no where near as bad as Vizio.[/quote]

You're right about it not having a VGA input, I was disappointed about that.

i got the 47" Vizio XVT 120hz and I am very happy with it. Definitely not a Samsung but for the price, I couldn't be happier. Everyone that comes over also compliments the TV. Movies and Games look amazing. With the 120hz they have the Motion Plus feature which can make the image judder(i think) but you have the option to turn it off. Some people like it some people don't, also movies look pretty fake. And if you are in the store it will definitely look different when you bring it home. You can adjust it to the way you like it and have a pure feed to the TV unlike the store where they usually split the image to multiple TV's. The Vizio has everything you may porbbaly want in a TV except a headphone jack. The 47" was $200 more but I would've happily taken the price of that 42". Sams clubs also has a good return policy and the protection plan for 3 years costed me only $80.

But if I had the money I would've taken the Samsung.

bread's done
Back