40gb PS3 Fan issue

b1rdman

CAGiversary!
I have a 40 gb ps3. I've had it since August 2009. A few months ago the fan would start to work harder at some times to cool off the system if it got too hot (sometimes it would go back to normal, sometimes not). It happened once in a while in my dorm room and room at home, usually during the hotter months when my room felt a little warm. That's normal.

However, for the last few weeks the fan goes into loud mode and stays loud only after like 20/30 minutes of gameplay, no matter how hot/cool my room is. The ps3 is out in the open with good ventilation, and I do my best to keep my room as cool as possible.

Is something actually wrong with my system now? Is it on its last legs? Is it something involving heat/thermal paste?

My launch 60gb was doing the same thing. 5 minutes into powering up the PS3, the fan was in full blast. After a month the PS3 started to beep 3x after I push the power button, so I had to switch the back power button OFF/ON again to be able to power on. I replaced the thermal paste and now whisper quiet. When I opened my PS3 the original paste was gone (bone dry). If you do this (open the Ps3) give it a good cleaning especially the fan and heat sink area. Google everything you need to know and save the video(s) to watch multiple times. Good Luck.

[quote name='b1rdman']I have a 40 gb ps3. I've had it since August 2009. A few months ago the fan would start to work harder at some times to cool off the system if it got too hot (sometimes it would go back to normal, sometimes not). It happened once in a while in my dorm room and room at home, usually during the hotter months when my room felt a little warm. That's normal.

However, for the last few weeks the fan goes into loud mode and stays loud only after like 20/30 minutes of gameplay, no matter how hot/cool my room is. The ps3 is out in the open with good ventilation, and I do my best to keep my room as cool as possible.

Is something actually wrong with my system now? Is it on its last legs? Is it something involving heat/thermal paste?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried clearing the dust out? What orientation are you using? My 40GB rarely uses the top fan setting and only when the ambient temp is in the high 90s. You may just need to remove the dust.

Thanks guys.

I don't want to open the system up and touch anything, but thanks for the tip.

I recently used a low powered vacuum to suck dust out of the vents on the right side of the system, idk if that did anything though. I have the ps3 laying horizontally in an open space.

[quote name='b1rdman']Thanks guys.

I don't want to open the system up and touch anything, but thanks for the tip.

I recently used a low powered vacuum to suck dust out of the vents on the right side of the system, idk if that did anything though. I have the ps3 laying horizontally in an open space.[/QUOTE]

Compressed air usually works better. I find it most effective to focus on the fan by blowing the air into the rear vent.

Also, I dont know if it will help much, but you could always try running it vertical. Ive noticed that the bottom of my PS3 tends to get really hot, which makes sense as it is where the mainboard lies. By putting it vertical, it seems like you are exposing this hot surface to open air and thus providing marginally better cooling.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']

Also, I dont know if it will help much, but you could always try running it vertical. Ive noticed that the bottom of my PS3 tends to get really hot, which makes sense as it is where the mainboard lies. By putting it vertical, it seems like you are exposing this hot surface to open air and thus providing marginally better cooling.[/QUOTE]

I've heard the same thing.

You could also do the fan test to clean out dust although some people say it does more harm than good.

To do the fan test turn off the power on the back of the console. Next hold down the eject button while turning the power back on. The fan should run at a high speed for a short period of time then shut off. Then just turn it back on.

[quote name='dohdough']I have my 60gb BC on top of two soup cans. It still kicks on the fan at full speed, but takes longer to do it.[/QUOTE]

So lunch is done when you're done playing?

[quote name='dohdough']I have my 60gb BC on top of two soup cans. It still kicks on the fan at full speed, but takes longer to do it.[/QUOTE]

I do this with my DVR receiver. Used to overheat every day in the summer, doesn't do that anymore.

If you want to keep your system then I don't think you have a choice OP. The thermal paste/dust buildup is most likely causing the issue.
If you don't want to do it yourself look in your area for a console repair shop that might do it in an hour. Get them to do the work for you, they may even guarantee it for up to a year.

The thermal compound on the older systems is like elmer's glue, completely horrible quality. I took my 40GB apart because the fan was really loud, but there wasn't a speck of dust in it; the thermal paste was dried and cracked. I cleaned it out and applied new thermal paste, and the fan never gets loud anymore.
If you want your PS3 to survive, I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do as well (or get someone else to do.)
The cost for it would be about $15, and that's if you have no tools. You can find thermal paste on ebay for about $6 if you do have tools already. It's really a simple procedure as well, very hard to screw up.

What do CAGs recommend is the best tutorial(s) online for accomplishing this? I'm thinking of clearing out the dust/replacing the thermal paste on my 80GB PS3 since the fans kick in sooner than usual like the OP's case, but I want to follow instructions and videos that others here have used successfully, and I'm not too sure what's best to follow when looking up things on Google. Even though I've tinkered with wiring and soldering as part of my engineering curriculum, I've never taken apart a piece of consumer electronics before.

bread's done
Back