46" 1080p tv with PS3 at walmart

That is a pretty sweet deal considering the TV itself goes for around $1200+(quick google search), though it's sold out online and is also sold out around my area.(Orange county, CA)

[quote name='XClaude']That is a pretty sweet deal considering the TV itself goes for around $1200+(quick google search), though it's sold out online and is also sold out around my area.(Orange county, CA)[/QUOTE]

but dont forget with sony you are paying for the name. The TV itself is comparable to a brand thats 300 less.

^What he said plus last week's best buy deal was better in my opinion. For the same price, you'd get them to deliver and install it for you plus take out ya old tv if ya want them too. Also, they were throwing in a choice of 1 (from choice of 3) ps3 games that were great titles and were also including 1 blu ray movie (from choice of 3).

Too big. My living room is only 16x16 not including furniture. This thing would take up my entire wall...
...and it's about twice as much as I'm willing to pay for an HDTV. I'll keep my 27 inch SDTV, thankyouverymuch.

Yes and no. Wal-Mart usually gets models that are similar to ones in BB and Sears, but usually have one or two minor differences (not sure what the difference between this one and the BB deal was, since I didn't bother looking into that one). But this is a very good tv, and if you are really only paying for the "brand" as someone else said, then the same could go across the board for anything. This is worth the value (just for the TV itself) and I think could be comparable to the BB deal.

There are limited deals and I don't even bother

As you will find, they are all out of stock

When BB did the deal my local BB only had 10 bundles for the cheapo price.

These deals are mostly to get you in the store in hopes you will buy something else more expensive......very few people actually end up with this deal.

[quote name='GoRiLLaH']Is that the same TV model as the Best Buy one?[/QUOTE]

The only difference is the dynamic contrast ratio is better on the Wal-Mart tv and the Wal-Mart tv also uses less energy. On Amazon, the Wal-Mart tv runs around a $100 or so more than the Best Buy one.

[quote name='tekzor']but dont forget with sony you are paying for the name. The TV itself is comparable to a brand thats 300 less.[/QUOTE]

That is 100% untrue. Id like you to find a 46 inch hdtv thats 1080p, as many inputs as that tv and can produce the same image quality for 300 dollars or less and still carry a warranty and a reliable brand name like sony. Not to mention one for under 300 that also includes a ps3.

That post sounds kinda like something a 360 fanboy would post to automatically try and dismiss it simply because its made by sony.

Personally I like my samsung 32inch in my bedroom, if I didnt already own a ps3 then Id jump allover this to get the system and finally get a hdtv for the living room.

Good value overall though.

[quote name='gargus'].

Personally I like my samsung 32inch in my bedroom, if I didnt already own a ps3 then Id jump allover this to get the system and finally get a hdtv for the living room.

Good value overall though.[/QUOTE]

I'm in exactly the same boat. I actually saw this in Walmart the other day and considered it for a moment. I have a Samsung 720p 32inch, and have been thinking about upgrading for a while. But I already have a PS3.

I ultimately passed, but it was tough.

[quote name='gargus']That is 100% untrue. Id like you to find a 46 inch hdtv thats 1080p, as many inputs as that tv and can produce the same image quality for 300 dollars or less and still carry a warranty and a reliable brand name like sony. Not to mention one for under 300 that also includes a ps3.

That post sounds kinda like something a 360 fanboy would post to automatically try and dismiss it simply because its made by sony.

Good value overall though.[/QUOTE]

Good job with reading comprehension :applause::roll:

What he said was you can get a TV with comparable specs for $300 less. He didn't say you can get a comparable TV for less than $300.

You need to be careful buying TVs from Walmart. A lot of their TVs are the quality stuff you see elsewhere, but the other times their TVs are versions specially made for them by manufacturers. The model # will be the exact same except for like one or two letters. Basically, they use cheaper parts so it can be sold for less.

Even if it has a good name like Sony or Samsung that doesn't mean it's good. Also, it's worth noting that almost every Sony HDTV made from 2003-2008 either has an extended warranty or a class action lawsuit, or both.

[quote name='tekzor']but dont forget with sony you are paying for the name. The TV itself is comparable to a brand thats 300 less.[/QUOTE]

With TVs its a bit different. Sony and Samsung share a factory and make incredibly similar LCDs. LG is the only brand that really compares in quality. Toshiba, Vizio, and the rest are a step down (or multiple steps down when it comes to "house" brands). Personally if you want a top of the line TV you should only be looking at Sony, Samsung and LG. Vizio is the best value but it seems like you almost need a warranty with those (I think you should get one regardless).

[quote name='GoRiLLaH']Is that the same TV model as the Best Buy one?[/QUOTE]

No, the Best Buy sale was for V5100 (also W series, Z series, and XBR9). This is the VE5 series, which fits right in between the V & W series. Its main selling point is that it is "eco friendly," which basically just means that it has features to use less electricity. Also Best Buy only carries the 40" VE5, and you can't get a feel for the picture quality because it has a lame "eco friendly" reel that doesn't even appear to be 1080p.

[quote name='NutManIV']You need to be careful buying TVs from Walmart. A lot of their TVs are the quality stuff you see elsewhere, but the other times their TVs are versions specially made for them by manufacturers. The model # will be the exact same except for like one or two letters. Basically, they use cheaper parts so it can be sold for less.

Even if it has a good name like Sony or Samsung that doesn't mean it's good. Also, it's worth noting that almost every Sony HDTV made from 2003-2008 either has an extended warranty or a class action lawsuit, or both.[/QUOTE]

I just checked the back of the TV and it says KDL-46VE5, no extra letters or numbers. Also I just read some where recently that Sony is the #2 most reliable behind only Sanyo. Can't remember if it was electronics in general or HDTVs specifically. Warranties aren't that expensive (save Geek Squad) and you should get one for any $1000 TV regardless.

I also should mention, I bought this TV bundle and so far I must say, its an excellent first 1080p TV. A quick summary of CNET's review for this TV including my thoughts and opinions...first, I'll address their biggest issues with the TV. Uniformity (sides are brighter than center and corners are ultra bright), I can only see this when nothing is being displayed and the screen goes black, when I'm actually watching a movie or playing a game I don't notice a difference at all. Color accuracy, according to CNET they had to alter the red to get a better skin tone, which sacrificed saturation. I'm not an expert but I haven't had any problems with skin tones, and the out of box settings actually seem very good (typical with LCD). Lastly, the design is a bit awkward. There is a gray sound bar at the bottom which doesn't match the black of the TV (this is also where the sensor is located), and also there is 3 HDMI ports on the side but only 1 on the back--a simple remedy is buying a HDMI connector type thing that changes the direction of the port. The main pluses were basically that the eco friendly features work as advertised and also that the high contrast ratio translates into deeper blacks which are actually comparable to the XBR9 (Sony's top line I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the VE5. Best Buy is reported to be Price Matching this deal as well and not only that but tossing in the game/movie as well (and VE5 instead of V5100), but as always with a price match: YMMV.

The VE5 is essentially the same models as the V5100 Series except they are more "Eco Friendly" and this TV has no widgets or streaming. (Cinephiles: It has an 8-bit panel vs 10-bit in comparison to W/Z models; It has the Bravia 2 Engine and not the new Bravia 3 as found in W/Z models; HCFL instead of CCFL ) The best part about the whole "Eco Friendly" thing is that the TV turns itself off after it senses no motion in the room, that's pretty sick. I only worry that down the road it malfunctions and I'm dealing with a haunted TV.

The VE5 retails for more than the V5100, but a little less than the W5100.

It's important to note, not many reviewers have reviewed this TV yet, but many say it's very close in relation to the V5100 models.

Tom's Hardware Review
CNet Review

According to CNet:
Overall Performance:
The picture quality of Sony's KDL-46VE5 is solid for a standard LCD, with relatively deep black levels, accurate color, and good video processing. On the other hand we'd like to see better saturation, more neutral colors in dark areas, and an improvement in uniformity.

Black level: The KDL-VE5 delivered a deep shade of black for a standard LCD, equaling that of the XBR9 and surpassing the other LCDs, with the exception of the Samsung B750.

Uniformity: The VE5 exhibited worse overall uniformity any of the other LCDs. The sides appeared brighter than the rest of the screen, but the worst offender was brighter area in the upper-left corner, which became clearly visible dark scenes and the letterbox bars.

PC: Like the V5100, the VE5 couldn't resolve every detail of 1,920x1,080 sources via both HDMI and VGA, failing to deliver the full vertical resolution according to DisplayMate. PC sources still looked relatively crisp nonetheless, but not as good as on the XBR9, for example.

Of course, I can't in good conscincous say all good about the VE5... The reason I didn't pull the trigger, aside from bank account, is that the V series has a issue referred to as 'red flashing'. You can see what I'm talking about here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQVsQ_xAKlo&fmt=22I havn't seen anyone with VE5 report the same thing, but they use the same processing engine so... *shrug*

If you pull the trigger on this TV, make sure to turn vivid off and here are some suggested settings I found, pretty sure from cnet.
Settings:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 4
Picture: 80
Brightness: 53
Color: 40
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

-- Advanced Settings menu
CineMotion: Auto 1
Game Mode: Off
Motionflow: Off

-- White Balance menu
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -4
B-Gain: -2
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 2

--Setup menu, Eco submenu
Backlight: On
Light Sensor: Off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']Too big. My living room is only 16x16 not including furniture. This thing would take up my entire wall...
...and it's about twice as much as I'm willing to pay for an HDTV. I'll keep my 27 inch SDTV, thankyouverymuch.[/QUOTE]

your wrong on that.. The picture should fill your field of vision. If anything the tv is almost too small for your room. Here is a guide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000021501

[quote name='bill esquivel']your wrong on that.. The picture should fill your field of vision. If anything the tv is almost too small for your room. Here is a guide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000021501[/QUOTE]
I don't like to have the TV be the center of my living room, to tell you the truth. My 27-inch SDTV is just fine. The largest I'd go for an HDTV is 37 inches. Maybe 40, but that's pushing it.
And I still think that guide is insane; there's no way I'm sitting less than 12 feet from a 46-inch TV.

bread's done
Back