4TB PS4 Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug_brit

CAGiversary!
Now that the PS4 supports 4TB HDD, I want to start a thread where we can actually have a list of known good HDD.

So the 4TB Seagate model STEA4000400 

It seems it's the luck of the draw now that Seagate is (Like WD & Toshiba) soldering the USB 3.0 adapter to the HDD. Older models have the standard SATA adapter standard 2.5 HDD.

So far thats all I really know. 

I'm aware of the Nyko Data Bank, I am considering it, but it's not ideal, and people have STRONG opinions on it. 

Anyone else running out of space on their 2TB?

I must have missed that. Is that part of the new firmware?
Yes indeed it was. Sony tend to slip things in without mentioning it when they did. Meanwhile that stability update joke keeps going, they brought back the USB MP3 playback to media, they didn't mention that and people were so happy. I feel bad for their engineers never getting their praise.

Now that the PS4 supports 4TB HDD, I want to start a thread where we can actually have a list of known good HDD.

So the 4TB Seagate model STEA4000400

It seems it's the luck of the draw now that Seagate is (Like WD & Toshiba) soldering the USB 3.0 adapter to the HDD. Older models have the standard SATA adapter standard 2.5 HDD.

So far thats all I really know.

I'm aware of the Nyko Data Bank, I am considering it, but it's not ideal, and people have STRONG opinions on it.

Anyone else running out of space on their 2TB?
How can you tell which 4TB drives are the older models? Any particular clues on the manufacturing date/ model label?

Lol, that's a big reason why I started the thread.

I need to read through the Amazon comments to see if there's a mfg date or identified model. The problem with the Amazon comments is that the comments are from the 1TB to the 4TB. I don't have the funds to figure out if I got a 9.5mm, sata adapter or just a really big Seagate external HDD.

A great feature of the Xbox One is allowing game installs on external HDD.

Sony historically doesn't deviate from their core console concept (besides the internal components). Depending on the current consoles lifespan, I don't see Sony/Microsoft making units with HDD bigger then 1TB. We already have to crack open a 2TB external to get that space. (Some oem 2TB 2.5 HDD may have been released since my 2TB upgrade).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes indeed it was. Sony tend to slip things in without mentioning it when they did. Meanwhile that stability update joke keeps going, they brought back the USB MP3 playback to media, they didn't mention that and people were so happy. I feel bad for their engineers never getting their praise.
Just read up on that. Wonder why Sony didn't mention that. May actually away potential buyers

Thanks for the heads up!

OP, that drive won't work internally in the PS4 since it's taller than 9.5MM, so you would have to leave it outside the PS4 chassis for it to work at all.

Assuming you get a drive that still has its SATA connector on it and not the USB 3.0 interface.

The 3TB Toshiba drive and the 4TB Seagate drive are 4 platter (Toshiba w/750GB platters) or 5 platter (Seagate w/800GB platters) drives, which make the drive casing taller than 9.5mm.    You can only have 3 platters in a drive that fits into a 9.5mm size, which is how the SpinPoint gets 2TB, via 3 667GB platters.

Using the 800GB platters from the Seagate, you could make a 2.4TB drive with 3 platters, so you really won't see a drive much larger than 2TB in a 9.5mm size until they get down to 1TB platters and then make 3TB 9.5mm drives.

You'll likely see 3TB SSDs sooner, I'd have to guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back