5.1 Not Htib

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I know there's a similar thread just below, but I didn't want to hijack it.

I want to add surround sound to my setup, but don't have a lot of cash. I thought I might do it piecemeal. What I DON'T want is another DVD player. Multiple inputs aren't a must, although optical is. FM/AM is a must.

What brands should I look at for the price? I'm looking to at least have the receiver by the end of the year.

You've got the right idea in avoid units with a DVD player. I'd highly recommend getting an Onkyo or Yamaha HTIB if you're on a budget but there are other good systems out there. I know people see this all the time but the only reason I recommend those two is because they actually have some truth to their claims for their systems.

But if you can, I'd go with individual components. I just received my 7.1 Onkyo TX SR504 from Onkyo refurbished for $140 shipped (special ShopOnkyo member price of $150, plus new members get $10 off). It looks and works brand new. I also picked up some Onkyo 5.1 speakers from eBay (there like $200 speakers) for $100 shipped because the seller didn't put in a good title. With my two floorstanders, and incoming 5.1 speaker set up, I got myself a 7.1 sound system for under $250.:D

[quote name='Chacrana']I can help you out if you've got a price range, but it's extremely difficult to offer anything useful otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I get paid $100 a month, so it's going to be as cheap as possible but has to last a couple of years. Oxymoron I know.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I get paid $100 a month, so it's going to be as cheap as possible but has to last a couple of years. Oxymoron I know.[/QUOTE]

So I'm guessing the price range would reasonably be around $200-300... I'd check out something from Onkyo since they do have some pretty good stuff in that price range. Vinny's suggestion looked like exactly what you'd want.

Onkyo got some real nice 5.1s that go from $150-$200 600-750 watts which is plenty for a bedroom or small living room.

That's not a bad range but it looks like Onkyo doesn't sell some of their older HTIBs anymore... the only budget model they have left is the HT S590 and that thing has a passive sub and it's still priced at $300 for refurbished.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']how do you live off 100$ a month? are you like 12? I can't pay for food or even gas on that.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm 27. $100 is my stipend from my wife for being a SAHD. Everything else is bills and her money.

At that price range your best bet is used and definitely piecemeal. Do some research about brands and localize it to models based on what you see. You'll probably want to focus on equipment that's a few years old.

If you're patient, you should easily be able to build a system that would blow away any HTiB.

As much as I hate Wal Mart, I'd suggest checking out what they have. I was surprised to find a Pioneer 1000W HTIB for about $180. I've had it for about a year and it sounds great and I havn't had any quality issues.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I get paid $100 a month, so it's going to be as cheap as possible but has to last a couple of years. Oxymoron I know.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the financial situation is in your family, but if you are married then her money is your money to. Also, if she is sandbagging hundreds of dollars a month and only throwing you 1 c-note a month then I suggest you set her straight. Or suck it up and get a part time job.

First off, don't be mistaken. For a complete system it would be very difficult to impossible to match the prices of some of the lower end HTiB. However, if you can do it piecemeal and be patient, you can get a great system for a few hundred dollars.

I don't know how far you are from Atlanta, but here are a few examples of high quality for not too much:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/259598228.html - Denon AVR95 - same as AVR2700
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/258839857.html - Denon AVR-3200

http://harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR 130-Z&status= - This is a great deal, but I don't know how shipping would fall out.

Don't read my links above as the be all end all of recommendations. It was a couple minutes of looking.

For receiver brands, Denon and Harman Kardon are great brands, but overpriced - however, used or refurbished they can be a great deal. Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha make good price/performance stuff. Some of the JVC and Panasonic stuff can be good as well.

[quote name='zewone']It's $169.99 on sale right now. That's pretty good, I may have to look into this unit.[/QUOTE]

Its cheaper if you buy it in the store... the register lady had to change the price to the original retail of 199.99 so the coupon would work bringing the price down to 160. She said I couldnt buy more merch to bring the price up to 199 so I just asked to bring the price up since it would still save me 10 bucks.

bread's done
Back