50" 720p HDTV or 42" 1080p HDTV?

I'd go with the 1080p LCD TV. Personally, I don't like DLP and Plasma TVs. LCDs are better for gaming, anyway. And plasmas burn-in too easily, plus I'm not whore enough obsess over overall picture quality and contrast when it isn't that big of a deal.

DLPs are much bigger and bulkier, so consider that also. Not to mention that for all practical purposes 1080p and 720p are indistinguishable. Plus the size difference is negligible at best also.

Go with the LCD.

I have a 50" plasma that works great for gaming but I would rec either LCD/Plasma over a DLP any day of the week...

id go with the bigger tv...i have a 67inch dlp samsung and it's the best tv i have ever had....oh i'll have to buy a 99 dollar light bulb someday...better than buying a new tv...when the plasma or lcd goes out.just my 2 cents

[quote name='jamhole538']id go with the bigger tv...i have a 67inch dlp samsung and it's the best tv i have ever had....oh i'll have to buy a 99 dollar light bulb someday...better than buying a new tv...when the plasma or lcd goes out.just my 2 cents[/quote]

At least you had the sense also not to buy the expensive extended warranty also :applause: :applause:

buying warranties are a waste of money....especially when i bought my tv from costco with an amex card....which gives me a 3 year warranty for free..

[quote name='jamhole538']id go with the bigger tv...i have a 67inch dlp samsung and it's the best tv i have ever had....oh i'll have to buy a 99 dollar light bulb someday...better than buying a new tv...when the plasma or lcd goes out.just my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

$99 for the lamp? Really? I had to replace mine recently and it was around $200.

okay two notes, polaroid tvs are horrible, end of story, their PQ is awful

secondly, sammy products tend to have a lot of issues, and by far aren't close to being the best TV manufacturer out there, mass-market wise it's debatable and comes between panasonic, pioneer, and sony

dont believe me? check avsforums and look at all the issues sammy tv's have, and im not talking some nitpicking stuff, im talking legit issues, they by far are the worst large producer of tv's (probably their other stuff too) when it comes to the quality of their product, they are all flash and show, then again they are a shitty korean company

but seriously, the PQ on that polaroid (or any polaroid tv?) my panny 42" 700u plasma would laugh at that shit.....i know money's tight for some, but in the tv industry, when it comes to quality, you get what you pay for (by far the only cheapie brand that actually has a decent PQ to it is olevia, and they have all there actual issues similar to samsung with reliability and build quality)

and if you dont believe me, check for yourself in a BB, CC, etc...the polaroids will be hidden (probably only have one out) and look so much worse than everything else

i have had my samsung for a year and a half....and watch or play 360 for an average of 6 hours a day on that tv and haven't had one problem with...maybe you shouldn't listen to a bunch of morons bad mouthing something they know nothing about...get the DLP from SAMSUNG you wont regret it

The polaroid is gonna be a crap tv. Its considered a throw away tv. In 2 years or so you'll just trash it and get a new one. Samsung makes good dlps, so between the 2 Id go for the samsung.

[quote name='SuppaMan']okay two notes, polaroid tvs are horrible, end of story, their PQ is awful

secondly, sammy products tend to have a lot of issues, and by far aren't close to being the best TV manufacturer out there, mass-market wise it's debatable and comes between panasonic, pioneer, and sony

dont believe me? check avsforums and look at all the issues sammy tv's have, and im not talking some nitpicking stuff, im talking legit issues, they by far are the worst large producer of tv's (probably their other stuff too) when it comes to the quality of their product, they are all flash and show, then again they are a shitty korean company

[/QUOTE]

The Avs forum people have problems with Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Vizio...you get the point. You will not be buying a TV if you listen to them.

There's no such thing as the best TV manufacturer. Each company has its good and bad.

I have a 50" LED DLP from Samsung and have LOVE it. I have no problems with it. It's great for gaming. The PS3 looks FANTASTIC on it.

OP let your eyes tell you what to buy. If you can go to the store and mess around with both. Adjust them as best and you can and see which one you like the best. That's what we did when we went to buy ours. People would try and point us to plasma but I don't like plasma at all. LCD has way too much blur for me.

It depends on what you will be doing with it too. If you are going to be watching TV most of the time getting a 1080p is pointless. I am sure by now you already bought something though. If you did good luck with whatever it was.

no, samsung's product quality is second-tier, just search the web and look at the amount of issues in their products as opposed to the same-tier opposition

the percentage and seriousness of the problems is much higher with sammy than their direct competition (sony, pio, panny)

[quote name='hunterrogue']Not to mention that for all practical purposes 1080p and 720p are indistinguishable.[/QUOTE]

On that size TV you can definitely notice a difference between 1080p and 720p (depending on the source of course).

You really need to go look at them, they both use different technologies (lcd vs dlp) and both have there own inherent technical pros and cons just based on the type of tv, aside from difference in manufactuer.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']On that size TV you can definitely notice a difference between 1080p and 720p (depending on the source of course).[/quote]

Not unless you are sitting quite close, say less than 4 feet.

[quote name='hunterrogue']Not unless you are sitting quite close, say less than 4 feet.[/quote]
the only people that say it doesnt matter are people that dont have 1080p tvs
at that size, it DOES matter. even if its only a little, its still something

at 42" it matters if you sit 6 feet or less (to an extent I'd argue up to 8 feet depending on the person)

at 50" it easily makes a difference within 6 feet, and still does within 8 feet

if you are 10 feet or beyond with a 42" tv it won't make a difference really, and at even 50" it'd be hard to notice a difference at 10 feet away, let alone farther than that

that said, I am within 8 feet all the time (it's in my bedroom) of my 42" panny 700u, and so the 1080p easily makes a difference (it looked better than the Pio 720p at the 42" size from the same distance, was about 5 feet or so away in the stores when looking at both) so 1080p for me made a difference

The amount of misinformation and brand-whoring in this thread is ridiculously pointless. You can argue all you want about Samsung vs. Sony/Panasonic/Pioneer, but we're not talking about any of those brands. We're talking about friggin' Polaroid! As a brand, Samsung destroys Polaroid on every level.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']the only people that say it doesnt matter are people that dont have 1080p tvs
at that size, it DOES matter. even if its only a little, its still something[/quote]

However I've also thought that with a 50" TV why would you sit closer than 6 or 8 feet? My living room is fairly small and my TV is a good 12' away for me it wouldn't really matter 720 or 1080p :))

[quote name='ckranger11']The amount of misinformation and brand-whoring in this thread is ridiculously pointless. You can argue all you want about Samsung vs. Sony/Panasonic/Pioneer, but we're not talking about any of those brands. We're talking about friggin' Polaroid! As a brand, Samsung destroys Polaroid on every level.[/quote]

True, we've digressed a little. It IS hard to compare these two TVs since there are resolution, size, AND brand differences so who's to say what's really the best? Probably better to compare apples to apples so to speak...

For anyone interested, www.cnet.com has some good articles on resolution and viewing distances...

[quote name='ckranger11']The amount of misinformation and brand-whoring in this thread is ridiculously pointless. You can argue all you want about Samsung vs. Sony/Panasonic/Pioneer, but we're not talking about any of those brands. We're talking about friggin' Polaroid! As a brand, Samsung destroys Polaroid on every level.[/quote]

True, we've digressed a little. It IS hard to compare these two TVs since there are resolution, size, AND brand differences so who's to say what's really the best? Probably better to compare apples to apples so to speak...

Good luck getting parts if your poloroid ever breaks. It's a disposable television, and there are no authorized repair centers. I hope it works out for you.

http://hdguru.com/?p=107

Buy like a 42" 720p panny plasma for a grand, or spend a few hundred more and get a better LCD. Don't buy a rptv unless it's an LED source, or possibly the panasonic LIFI series. At sears we had a 56" 1080p lifi for 1199 yesterday. No bulbs to change. Ever.

bread's done
Back