$50 9500gt...

sniping_dreamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Well, Tigerdirect is having a Cybermonday sale for this card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4111742&Sku=E145-9504

9500GT for $50 is a pretty good deal.
However, my friend (who is getting a new video card from Tigerdirect as well) is willing to sell me his 8600GT for $20 or so.

Do you think the $30 difference is worth the performance?

At this point, all I'm looking at is to running games at 30FPS without any major frame-drops (I currently own a 7600GT. Which I bought 2-3 years ago for $100. Fack.)

Also, opinion would be nice immediately, since sale ends today.

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on what kind of games you want to play. not sure what your budget is, but you can get significantly better cards if youre willing to spend over $50.

The 9500, might be more powerful but will use more power. I think the difference in performance is negligible enough to have me say just go with the 8600GT if you are satisfied with Xbox 360 type graphics. If you want it to look better get the 9500; however I could have thought I saw a deal for a GTX 250(with a fat heatsink) for $50.

Mostly Source games, nothing really new. I'm not one of those "Holy crap, I need 16x anti-aliasing" peoples.

Something better than running Far Cry 2 at all lowest settings in 1024 x 768 resolution with getting 29-30 FPS, and getting 20 frames per second when I hit the water.

$50 is my budget. Maybe I should have saved up my $100 to get a decent video card than getting the SFIV TE fightstick >_>

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']
Something better than running Far Cry 2 at all lowest settings in 1024 x 768 resolution with getting 29-30 FPS, and getting 20 frames per second when I hit the water.
[/QUOTE]

Based on this comment you need a GTX 260 or better if you want a Nvidia card. If you get an ATI you want a 4870 or better.

[quote name='seen']Based on this comment you need a GTX 260 or better if you want a Nvidia card. If you get an ATI you want a 4870 or better.[/QUOTE]
This suffice?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4843000&Sku=G458-0252

It's $25 more.

We can't all trust internet comments, but...
I bought this card as an upgrade to the two 1GB 9500GT's I had SLI connected in my PC. Without a doubt, this card ourperforms the 2 SLI connected 9500GT's and then some. I have no problems running ArmA and ArmA II both on the highest settings with no hiccups.

That was the card I was talking about in my first post for $50 the other day; card is huge though. I use toms hardware graphic charts to compare stuff.

I might stick with the 9500GT. Should last me a while. $75 is just a bit off my budget (being I spent too much on video games already)

I'll continue pondering. Thanks for the comments.

8600GT > 9500GT hands down. Dont let the numbers fool you. The 9500GT is totally worthless for games.

Then stop spending money on video games, then you can get a better graphics card.

The 9500GT sucks, just pick up a 8800gt or something like a 9600GT on craiglist ( I've gotten a 9800gtx+ for $80 with everything, box etc )

For what its worth, I stuck a 9500GT in my wife's PC so she would play Co-op Left 4 Dead 1/2 with me, and it runs great on medium/high settings. If your only looking for Source engine games, then you should be good to go, but don't expect to be playing anything Unreal 3 based except on the lowest settings.

[quote name='jalu6']For what its worth, I stuck a 9500GT in my wife's PC so she would play Co-op Left 4 Dead 1/2 with me, and it runs great on medium/high settings. If your only looking for Source engine games, then you should be good to go, but don't expect to be playing anything Unreal 3 based except on the lowest settings.[/QUOTE]

Its becuase Source engine games are highly CPU dependent. Even still, its not great for gaming. My friend used to have an 8500GT (9500 is basically a rebranded 8500) and it stunk. He'd play CSS with high settings at 1680x1050 and never go above 50 frames. Most of the time he'd play at a constant 30-40.

If you're looking for a decent cheapy card that will play games nicely, look at something like a 4830 or a 9600GT. Granted, they're a little more expensive than $50 (around $90 and $80 respectively), but you'll wind up with much better performance. There is no way you wont regret spending $50 on a 9500.

[quote name='jalu6']For what its worth, I stuck a 9500GT in my wife's PC so she would play Co-op Left 4 Dead 1/2 with me, and it runs great on medium/high settings. If your only looking for Source engine games, then you should be good to go, but don't expect to be playing anything Unreal 3 based except on the lowest settings.[/QUOTE]
My Radeon 9600 Pro runs source games on medium/high. You could probably get one of those for 10$

If all he wants is source games hell even current integrated chips would probably work.

[quote name='crystalklear64']My Radeon 9600 Pro runs source games on medium/high. You could probably get one of those for 10$

If all he wants is source games hell even current integrated chips would probably work.[/QUOTE]

Yes they will.

Like I stated before in another post. I do volunteer IT work for a children's center. Most of their computers that are donated do not have video cards at all. All of them are on board.

I can get all source games to run on them extremely well.

bread's done
Back