50% off all Blu Rays (excludes boxsets) @ Borders

I posted on blu-ray.com that the only things truly worth getting in this sale are Criterions, which come out to around $19 a pop before taxes set in. You might want to check online for your store's stock first, because it's very hit or miss.

I just was at my local Borders and I was pretty disappointed. Even after the coupon most movies end up still being more expensive than Amazon prices.

You should probably mention that this is in-store only, since they sell Blu-rays online too

I imagine this would be a great coupon to pick up some Criterion titles.

If Criterion titles were even available on most Borders' stores, but alas, they aren't. Does anyone know whether or not these coupons work on pre-orders, and if we can even do such a pre-order at the store? I definitely wouldn't mind picking up the Seven Samurai Blu-Ray at half-off.

Borders prices on blu-rays scare the crap out of me.

Even at 50% off, they're still like 20% marked up compared to other retailers.

The only things I've ever used a 50% off coupon for at Borders on a BR title was Akira, since it was about the same price as I could find online.

Rest of the time, it's a bit of a waste, unless you can find something or multiple somethings that are the same price online and at Borders before the coupon.

Criterions would be a nice find, though most Borders don't stock them at all.

[quote name='shrike4242']The only things I've ever used a 50% off coupon for at Borders on a BR title was Akira, since it was about the same price as I could find online.

Rest of the time, it's a bit of a waste, unless you can find something or multiple somethings that are the same price online and at Borders before the coupon.

Criterions would be a nice find, though most Borders don't stock them at all.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much same experience for me with blu-rays. I've been to Borders that were going out of business and the clearance was at 70%, and they were still higher than Best Buy or Target.

No wonder they're doing so bad.

The only Criterion Collection blu-ray I saw this morning was Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket. To be honest I think Wal-Mart has a better selection of blu-rays than Borders.

Hmmm, so this 50% off blus at Borders will make everything roughly MSRP? ;)

(and by MSRP I really do mean actual studio MSRP - $34.99 and up)

Just got back, picked up the Stagecoach Criterion for $19.99+tax. Not a blockbuster deal, but still about $10.00 cheaper than Amazon.

The only Criterion blus I saw at my store were Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket, Last Year at Marienbad, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and Benjamin Button.

Not as bad of a selection as I would have thought, but then again I scoured the entire Blu-ray section and that's all I found.

[quote name='KingGondo']The only Criterion blus I saw at my store were Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket, Last Year at Marienbad, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and Benjamin Button.[/QUOTE]

Even though the demand isn't that high for it, you should've nabbed TMWFtE just because it's OOP now. You never know when people are going to want it.

I was going to ask you which version of Red Cliff you got, but I went to the website instead. The only one I see that would have been what you got is the Part I/Part II International version, right? Which is close to, but not quite, the full version on the Special Edition? So many versions of this thing. Good price, though.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I was going to ask you which version of Red Cliff you got, but I went to the website instead. The only one I see that would have been what you got is the Part I/Part II International version, right? Which is close to, but not quite, the full version on the Special Edition? So many versions of this thing. Good price, though.[/QUOTE]

This is the one he got:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Cliff-Int...6ID0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286918947&sr=8-1

I was at borders to check also. It is that same one. Which is the best version.

Picked up Angels & Demons 2 disc + digital copy tonight for $12.50 + tax.

Would have picked up Da Vinci Code, but it was still $10 above MSRP.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Even though the demand isn't that high for it, you should've nabbed TMWFtE just because it's OOP now. You never know when people are going to want it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up, I might go back and grab it.

[quote name='ryosnk']If only this was available when seven samurai bluray comes out next week.[/QUOTE]

B&N will hopefully have another 50% off Criterion sale soon. I think it's usually sometime in November

picked up Sin City 2 disc for 13 or so, not much of find but i had a 40 dollar gift card, so why not?

[quote name='KingGondo']Just got back, picked up the Stagecoach Criterion for $19.99+tax. Not a blockbuster deal, but still about $10.00 cheaper than Amazon.

The only Criterion blus I saw at my store were Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket, Last Year at Marienbad, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and Benjamin Button.

Not as bad of a selection as I would have thought, but then again I scoured the entire Blu-ray section and that's all I found.[/QUOTE]
That's actually a slightly better-than-average list; most Borders would be hardpressed to find a couple, if at all. I could only find the Seventh Seal.
[quote name='ryosnk']If only this was available when seven samurai bluray comes out next week.[/QUOTE]
But then again, they would probably never even have it in stock, such is their level of insipidity. They don't have a diverse collection of books, or even a wide range, so Blu-Rays are off the mark as well. What exactly is the point of having a store-only sale anyway? Are they living in the 19th century BC?

[quote name='Duncanzits']I'm still confused as to why you all think Amazon sells Blu-rays at half MSRP, cause they only do that on a few titles.[/QUOTE]

I think the discussion in this thread needs to be put in context. Borders sets many of their regular prices higher than the listed MSRP at other stores. So 50% off a Borders regular price is probably the equivalent of 30-40% off at other stores.

[quote name='ssjmichael']B&N will hopefully have another 50% off Criterion sale soon. I think it's usually sometime in November[/QUOTE]

I asked about that the other day. The cashier said one was planned for November.

Borders stopped carrying dvds at pretty much every store in arizona except for the sale stuff they get in so all the stores here have maybe 20 different blu-ray titles to choose from and no criterions which are really the only thing you can get value out of with the coupon.

Their price on the Kick-Ass blu-ray was $37, I mean cmon.

[quote name='Tallymebanana201']Even with this coupon it will still come to a regularly priced Blu Ray. Borders over prices like mad. Thanks for link though OP[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[quote name='neocisco']I picked up Red Cliff International I & II for $15 today, $2 less than Amazon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']You paid tax so you saved about 12 cents. Unless you live in oregon or something.[/QUOTE]

yeah but shipping on amazon?

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']You paid tax so you saved about 12 cents. Unless you live in oregon or something.[/QUOTE]

Shipping exceeds tax and I got it same day. Try again.

12 cents? So the tax rate where you live is 12.5%? Uh huh.

I did OK on picking up a few Criterion titles -- Breathless, Charade, and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. That gets a few titles out of the way before the next B&N sale. There are so many Criterion titles coming out that I want over the next few months (Seven Samurai, House, Night of the Hunter, Antichrist, Modern Times, Cronos, Videodrome) that it's good to take a few things off the want list now. Their overall Criterion selection was disappointing, though.

I also grabbed Mirrormask -- not a great price on that one, but still a few dollars less than Amazon's current price, and I've been wanting to upgrade that one to Blu for a while.

It's sad, but I checked everything else I was considering on Amazon while I was looking, and nearly all of the other titles that I looked at would have been the same price or cheaper through them.

Picked up the Iron Man 2 three disc set at Borders two nights ago with the coupon. Adding in my Plus (extra 10%) discount it ended up around $18 or so after tax. Cheaper than the $24 price tag at Amazon.

[quote name='arcane93']I did OK on picking up a few Criterion titles -- Breathless, Charade, and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. That gets a few titles out of the way before the next B&N sale. There are so many Criterion titles coming out that I want over the next few months (Seven Samurai, House, Night of the Hunter, Antichrist, Modern Times, Cronos, Videodrome) that it's good to take a few things off the want list now. Their overall Criterion selection was disappointing, though.

I also grabbed Mirrormask -- not a great price on that one, but still a few dollars less than Amazon's current price, and I've been wanting to upgrade that one to Blu for a while.

It's sad, but I checked everything else I was considering on Amazon while I was looking, and nearly all of the other titles that I looked at would have been the same price or cheaper through them.[/QUOTE]

Charade was the one title I wanted more then any other.

[quote name='neocisco']Shipping exceeds tax and I got it same day. Try again.

12 cents? So the tax rate where you live is 12.5%? Uh huh.[/QUOTE]

I was being an ass. Seriously though you didnt save much. I guess I forget that some people dont have prime.

[quote name='arcane93']Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence[/QUOTE]
...fuck. I've been waiting for this to come out forever. And the coupon is expired. I'm guessing there isn't a new version of the coupon with an unexpired date range.

When does the B&N Criterion sale usually happen? November, right?

[quote name='Arsenal 80']I just was at my local Borders and I was pretty disappointed. Even after the coupon most movies end up still being more expensive than Amazon prices.[/QUOTE]

lucky you are :applause:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']...fuck. I've been waiting for this to come out forever. And the coupon is expired. I'm guessing there isn't a new version of the coupon with an unexpired date range.[/QUOTE]

There's not another 50% off coupon, no. Those don't happen all that often. Here's a generic 40% off a single item one, though, if it helps:

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/20101910test40.html

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']When does the B&N Criterion sale usually happen? November, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, July and November have been the months for it in the past. So in theory, it should just be a few weeks away. Last year it was November 10th through November 21st, so probably November 9th through November 20th this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Arcane. I was checking out B&N and their price is actually a little better on Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. So assuming they don't jack the price up, I'll be able to pick it up there for cheaper.
November 9th can't come soon enough! Especially if B&N winds up runnign the sale. ;D

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Thanks Arcane. I was checking out B&N and their price is actually a little better on Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. So assuming they don't jack the price up, I'll be able to pick it up there for cheaper.
November 9th can't come soon enough! Especially if B&N winds up runnign the sale. ;D[/QUOTE]

Well, do keep in mind that when B&N does the 50% off sale, it's 50% off of list price, not the discounted price they're charging now, meaning most of the blu-rays end up being $20 (or if you have a B&N membership, and can get it in-store, $18). Of course, that's still better than 40% off of list price ($24), which is what it would be with the Borders coupon. All depends on how quickly you want it.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, do keep in mind that when B&N does the 50% off sale, it's 50% off of list price, not the discounted price they're charging now, meaning most of the blu-rays end up being $20 (or if you have a B&N membership, and can get it in-store, $18). Of course, that's still better than 40% off of list price ($24), which is what it would be with the Borders coupon. All depends on how quickly you want it.[/QUOTE]
That is an excellent point and something I should have thought of. The CAG in me will have me wait, though. Also, I'm hoping there's another coupon that can be stacked like in July.

bread's done
Back