50% Off Select PCDDs & 40% Off Select Console Games + Free PCDD at EA Origin Store

FlyingMonkey9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (100%)
CheapyD Edit: Got this info from EA's PR rep:

50% off Select PCDDs

• This link should automatically add the coupon code: FIFTYOFF
  • Value of discount will be deducted from product list price at time of purchase. Valid for PC Digital Download titles only. Excludes pre-orders, titles released less than 30 days (Alice and Sims 3 Generations), Crysis® 2, point cards, time cards. Discount is valid only on new purchases from ORIGIN at www.origin.com . Excludes pre-orders, titles released less than 30 days, point cards, time cards, and Crysis® 2. This offer expires on 6/26 @11:59PM PST and cannot be combined with any other Gift Card, rebate or other discount coupons. Valid only in U.S. and CANADA . Subject to availability. Customers are responsible for applicable sales tax. Offer may not be substituted, exchanged, sold or redeemed for cash or other goods or services. Retailers, distributors and employees of Electronic Arts Inc. and their agencies/affiliates are not eligible. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. See specific Product Information pages by clicking on “more info” for additional terms and conditions for each title.

40% Off Select Console Games + Free PCDD title - Use coupon code: HOTDEAL PS3 - Xbox 360 - Wii - Other Consoles

• Value of discount will be deducted from product list price at time of purchase . Excludes pre-orders, titles released less than 30 days (Alice and Sims 3 Generations), Crysis® 2, point cards, time cards. Discount is valid only on new purchases from ORIGIN at www.origin.com . Excludes pre-orders, titles released less than 30 days, point cards, time cards, and Crysis® 2. This offer expires on 6/26 @11:59PM PST and cannot be combined with any other Gift Card, rebate or other discount coupons. Valid only in U.S. and CANADA . Subject to availability. Customers are responsible for applicable sales tax. Offer may not be substituted, exchanged, sold or redeemed for cash or other goods or services. Retailers, distributors and employees of Electronic Arts Inc. and their agencies/affiliates are not eligible. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. See specific Product Information pages by clicking on “more info” for additional terms and conditions for each title.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also listed in the ToS that Valve/Steam has a "backup" plan for all your games if the service is ever shut down. Nobody knows exactly what that means, but it's assured you won't lose your games.

I'm not anti-Origin by any means. Competition is good for the consumer. That said, since I have 150+ games on Steam, I'd rather continue getting games from there. I don't really care to have a bunch of games downloaded from and to a bunch of different places. Steam is convenient for me.

So what's the DRM situation on Origin? Do I have to keep the installer on my computer to play the game or can I sweep away the rubbish when the installation's done?

[quote name='AceSam14']I don't want to start a flame war but, keep in mind that if you buy any games from EA Origin you have a 1-year limit to download or redownload your games.

In other words, after 1 year you can't download the games you bought, and if your account remains inactive for 24 months they will cancel it.

Remember to always vote with your wallet.[/QUOTE]

Not true, I have 4-5 games on EA's download service and a few I've had for over a year and I can still DL them today.

[quote name='Vortextk']I guess you missed EA at E3 this year.

Only available at origin.com. Was that origin.com? Yes it was, origin.com, where this will only be avaiable....on origin.com.[/QUOTE]

pffft that will change right quick when the powers that be see that they are selling significantly less games.

right now they are playing a game of chicken and i think it will be they not the consumer who blinks.

or if you are unfamiliar with the idiots who run ea... they have several times in recent history lost 100's of millions of dollars.

Got my order. One of each game, even though I've been registered at EA's website for years and even bought from their online store before it all became Origin.

[quote name='mattcube64']It's also listed in the ToS that Valve/Steam has a "backup" plan for all your games if the service is ever shut down. Nobody knows exactly what that means, but it's assured you won't lose your games.

I'm not anti-Origin by any means. Competition is good for the consumer. That said, since I have 150+ games on Steam, I'd rather continue getting games from there. I don't really care to have a bunch of games downloaded from and to a bunch of different places. Steam is convenient for me.[/QUOTE]

I like steam and Origin both, and as a PC gamer its becoming clear that you will need to use multiple services in the future to play all the games. Planning on buying Star Wars: The Old Republic? You are using Origin. Battlefield 3? You are likely going to be using Origin.

I don't think Steam or Origin are anywhere close to failing. I don't think they will ever fail. BUT you should read your Steam agreement a little closer. It specifically says it can lock you out of our account for any reason and if the service fails they are not required to provide you access to the licenses you bought.

To me its hypocritical for everyone to be in love with Steam and bash EA for trying to compete because of some bullshit in a legal agreement. Like this guy says competition is good.

[quote name='bdb2m']To me its hypocritical for everyone to be in love with Steam and bash EA for trying to compete because of some bullshit in a legal agreement. Like this guy says competition is good.[/QUOTE]Except that Steam delivers competition. Valve allows publishers to compete against each other on Steam. Origin is completely monopolistic and, if successful, will simply splinter PC gaming. I for one don't want similar nonsense from Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc., so Origin can't fail fast enough.

edit: For more, read this.

[quote name='bdb2m']I like steam and Origin both, and as a PC gamer its becoming clear that you will need to use multiple services in the future to play all the games. Planning on buying Star Wars: The Old Republic? You are using Origin. Battlefield 3? You are likely going to be using Origin.

I don't think Steam or Origin are anywhere close to failing. I don't think they will ever fail. BUT you should read your Steam agreement a little closer. It specifically says it can lock you out of our account for any reason and if the service fails they are not required to provide you access to the licenses you bought.

To me its hypocritical for everyone to be in love with Steam and bash EA for trying to compete because of some bullshit in a legal agreement. Like this guy says competition is good.[/QUOTE]

If you buy it at retail, TOR won't be using Origin. Origin is merely the only way to buy TOR digitally.

I'm not against Origin, though. I actually respect it for what it's trying to do. It's taking the keys that you already have for games you bought a while back and giving you a digital version/backup for free. I like that. I can respect it. I'd respect it even more if they did auto-updates, allowed me to disable the friend pane on the right side (that didn't appear until right before they updated EA DM to be Origin), and were reliable about which games will work vs which ones won't. For example, I have a copies of Mass Effect, Mercenaries 2, and (most damningly) Bulletstorm whose keys just will not work on Origin despite the fact it DOES work with "most" keys for those games. That unreliability, in not auto-patching despite claiming to be steam or battle.net-like and your inability to know if a game that supposedly works with Origin will ACTUALLY work with Origin, makes the experience annoyingly uneven.

I like what they're trying to do and I hope they refine the experience, polish the application, and get all the keys working properly. If they can do that, I think Origin will do well.

I also think this is the beginning of the age when all publishers have their own marketplace/application/auto-patcher. I prefer Steam, but I also can remember when Steam was as bad or worse than Origin. I remember Half-Life 2's release and the horrible, horrible experience that was Steam at that time.

So I can afford Origin some slack when it IS giving me a disc-less option to play these games AND is giving me a free backup digitally that EA didn't really HAVE to offer.

[quote name='d8onausa']Except that Steam delivers competition. Valve allows publishers to compete against each other on Steam. Origin is completely monopolistic and, if successful, will simply splinter PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

While I hate having additional installers, and I wish SWTOR was on Steam, your argument is like saying Wal-Mart delivers competition between brands, and should be allowed to consume all other outlets.

[quote name='d8onausa']Except that Steam delivers competition. Valve allows publishers to compete against each other on Steam. Origin is completely monopolistic and, if successful, will simply splinter PC gaming. I for one don't want similar nonsense from Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc., so Origin can't fail fast enough.

edit: For more, read this.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a fluff piece froma fan of Steam and a couple of games, old and upcoming. People who play games with pubs like EA and Blizzard and Ubisoft already have to give their info to them. All that is missing is credit card info which is nothing compared to the other info. 50% off sales, bring it on. I am all in favor of more choices.

[quote name='mattcube64']It's also listed in the ToS that Valve/Steam has a "backup" plan for all your games if the service is ever shut down. Nobody knows exactly what that means, but it's assured you won't lose your games.[/QUOTE]

Where is that provision? I searched for the words "backup" and "access" and didn't find any such provision.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']If you buy it at retail, TOR won't be using Origin. Origin is merely the only way to buy TOR digitally.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have a source? Because I wouldn't count on that. I think TOR is going to be the Origin equivalent of Steamworks. Doesn't WoW work this way, too?

[quote name='Vegan']Do you have a source? Because I wouldn't count on that. I think TOR is going to be the Origin equivalent of Steamworks. Doesn't WoW work this way, too?[/QUOTE]

He's actually right, I should have said "digitally" when I was talking about that.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=343383&page=13

As for Origin though, its not really DRM like Steam is. I can play any of the games I have bought off of Origin without the installer running, similar to GOG.com and their downloader. Even if they change this and made Origin required, its unlikely you would have to do anything once the initial download was complete.

Again, I like both services, I own soooo many games on Steam(too many honestly) I just don't understand why EA gets knocked for things that Steam does also. Its not like you can buy Left4Dead without Steam attached. So EA decides to try a similar approach and all of the sudden they are "splintering the industry, man!"

At least EA sells their games with an optional installer. I know the last time I played Fallout NV or TF2, steam was running whether I wanted it on or not.

[quote name='choral_music']While I hate having additional installers, and I wish SWTOR was on Steam, your argument is like saying Wal-Mart delivers competition between brands, and should be allowed to consume all other outlets.[/QUOTE]No, it's really not, because Origin isn't at all like Target. It would be like Coke deciding not to sell their soda at Wal Mart in order to create a monopoly. Steam isn't the service trying to destroy competition here; it's Origin.

[quote name='bdb2m']Again, I like both services, I own soooo many games on Steam(too many honestly) I just don't understand why EA gets knocked for things that Steam does also. Its not like you can buy Left4Dead without Steam attached. So EA decides to try a similar approach and all of the sudden they are "splintering the industry, man!" [/QUOTE]Again, Steam doesn't only sell Valve games. EA is absolutely splintering digital delivery PC gaming, and you can be sure that all the other big, slimy people like Bobby Kotick are watching very carefully to see if they can get away with it too. If a future with "Call of Duty: Only on Koticktion" and "Assassin's Creed: Only on Frenchfried.com" is what you want for PC gaming, then by all means support Origin.

[quote name='faceless007']Where is that provision? I searched for the words "backup" and "access" and didn't find any such provision.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you that it is not in the TOS. I believe in an interview with either a Valve employee or Gabe himself that he loosely said that their is way to authenticate games in the scenario that the company goes bust - this what no a promise however. I believe many took this as fact and even concluded that it was in the TOS. I know the Wikipedia entry on Steam said something alone those lines, but that part has since been removed.

In fact, the TOS specifically states that Valve is under no obligation to do such a thing. Check "A. DISCLAIMERS." under the TOS on Valve's website.

Picked up for $24.99:

1)Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
2)Unlock Codes for Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Limited Edition
3)Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2: Vietnam

[quote name='d8onausa']No, it's really not, because Origin isn't at all like Target. It would be like Coke deciding not to sell their soda at Wal Mart in order to create a monopoly. Steam isn't the service trying to destroy competition here; it's Origin.

Again, Steam doesn't only sell Valve games. EA is absolutely splintering digital delivery PC gaming, and you can be sure that all the other big, slimy people like Bobby Kotick are watching very carefully to see if they can get away with it too. If a future with "Call of Duty: Only on Koticktion" and "Assassin's Creed: Only on Frenchfried.com" is what you want for PC gaming, then by all means support Origin.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to what, only available on steam? Steam gets a pass because they sell other publishers games?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your argument. Does any other DD service sell Valve games? Half Life 2/TF2/Left4Dead all Steam exclusive! Again you are giving Valve a pass for something while slamming Origin for that same thing because Steam has a 7 year head start. Just say you hate EA or something, because at least it would be honest.

When Steam first came out, Half Life 2 was the only game on there. Origin is a new service(or at least a new direction for a service) if it does well, I'm pretty sure they will look into distributing other publishers because there is a lot of money to be made there. I actually like Origin because its not required to be on all of the time. Its just a downloader.

Also, if you think Activision isn't already looking into proprietary digital distribution you need to check out battle.net sometime. I assure you that EA's success or failure here probably will not change most companies' plans in this front, especially since GameStop and Gamefly entered the race.

[quote name='bdb2m']As opposed to what, only available on steam? Steam gets a pass because they sell other publishers games?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your argument. Does any other DD service sell Valve games? Half Life 2/TF2/Left4Dead all Steam exclusive! Again you are giving Valve a pass for something while slamming Origin for that same thing because Steam has a 7 year head start. Just say you hate EA or something, because at least it would be honest.

When Steam first came out, Half Life 2 was the only game on there. Origin is a new service(or at least a new direction for a service) if it does well, I'm pretty sure they will look into distributing other publishers because there is a lot of money to be made there. I actually like Origin because its not required to be on all of the time. Its just a downloader.

Also, if you think Activision isn't already looking into proprietary digital distribution you need to check out battle.net sometime. I assure you that EA's success or failure here probably will not change most companies' plans in this front, especially since GameStop and Gamefly entered the race.[/QUOTE]You must have missed the link I posted earlier, as it already addressed most of what you're saying.

I rather like the Origin client and EA's service is far superior to Valve's. I just used their customer service today, because my copy of Mass Effect wouldn't register to my library, and the representative was super helpful on the phone and and got me straightened out in under an hour.

When's the last time you could say all that about Steam support, eh?

I love the client personally, mostly because I don't have to have it running though I check the store from time to time. As for the customer service, I haven't had to use it yet but its good to know that it at least works for someone. I think my only real complaint about Origin is that it uses that name, since Origin made some of my favorite games of all time :(

Here's hoping either Origin or GOG gets Wing Commander 2 and Ultima 7 soon.

[quote name='ECisMe']I rather like the Origin client and EA's service is far superior to Valve's. I just used their customer service today, because my copy of Mass Effect wouldn't register to my library, and the representative was super helpful on the phone and and got me straightened out in under an hour.

When's the last time you could say all that about Steam support, eh?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if anything would be Valve's downfall, it would be because of their almost non-existent support system. Everything requires a support ticket that takes at minimum 24 hours to resolve. From what I've read, Origin's customer support is superb.

Additionally, the fact that a simple charge back or fraudulent gift could result in complete account disabling. This alone bothers me because only 1 slip up could result in a temporary (or permanent) loss of my games and the bureaucracy of dealing with the proper channels to sort the problem out.

I'm a true Steam fan - EVERY game I own is through Steam; it's nice to have everything simplified into 1 client / store. However, I think that Valve can learn from its competition. PC Gamers are witnessing a rapid proliferation of the digital market; a market where Valve has maintained itself as a hegemon. Now, Steam's competition has grown offering better deals, exclusive titles (Origin), and perks (GMG's buyback system). It's exciting to see these companies compete against each other and I'm anxious to see whether Valve can maintain its status. Regardless, us, the consumer, will most likely benefit from it.

I tried to get EA support to add my copies of Crysis and Crysis: Warhead to Origin but they just told me it can't be done. Even though they sell both those games through the service. Everything is too inconsistent right now, but I hope they allow for all their current product as well as legacy EA titles to be registered eventually. I shouldn't have to hope I get a good rep who adds my game for me.

I'm still optimistic for the future of their service though. I think they'll surprise us more than we think.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I'm a true Steam fan - EVERY game I own is through Steam; it's nice to have everything simplified into 1 client / store. However, I think that Valve can learn from its competition. PC Gamers are witnessing a rapid proliferation of the digital market; a market where Valve has maintained itself as a hegemon. Now, Steam's competition has grown offering better deals, exclusive titles (Origin), and perks (GMG's buyback system). It's exciting to see these companies compete against each other and I'm anxious to see whether Valve can maintain its status. Regardless, us, the consumer, will most likely benefit from it.[/QUOTE]

Like I said earlier - I would prefer that all of my PC games be linked to one distributor. However, if Origin can push Steam to innovate and better its service, more power to it. Product without competition breeds stagnation and status quo (see: Madden).

[quote name='d8onausa']No, it's really not, because Origin isn't at all like Target. It would be like Coke deciding not to sell their soda at Wal Mart in order to create a monopoly. Steam isn't the service trying to destroy competition here; it's Origin.[/QUOTE]

I take exception to the use of "monopoly" when there are literally dozens and dozens of retail outlets that have, do and will continue to sell EA products.

bread's done
Back