$50 price cut August 8th?

$100 or no sale.

With games going for $60 a pop and microtransactions everywhere, I just need more convincing.

Or Namco could just release Culdcept Saga, finally.

[quote name='Pijaibros']$100 or no sale.

With games going for $60 a pop and microtransactions everywhere, I just need more convincing.

Or Namco could just release Culdcept Saga, finally.[/quote]
Not sure what you are waiting for, 360 games can be had for less than 60 dollars plenty of times (or for free using yourfree360games) and microtransactions are not necessary purchases at all. Additionally, the MS points can be had for free now with all these promotions and websites... I havn't bought one MS point card, and I still have 1200 points left, and all I bought was the GOW maps (800 points, I got 1600 for free from prizerebel, 400 from smarterchild). Ill probably save the rest for Halo 3 DLC.

Now if you were waiting for 65 nm chips, I can sort of understand, but I think it would be more wise of you to just buy from bestbuy and get their warranty, and when those 65 nm chips come out, swap your 360.

If anyone is really waiting to buy a 360 for a 50 dollar price cut, I guarantee that you will look back and realize that those 50 dollars were not worth waiting for. You are just missing out on so much!

EDIT: I heard about this on the radio earlier today, its pretty much confirmed.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Do you really think the $50 price difference between the core system and the Wii is WHY they're buying one over the other?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I have a Wii and I know my wife AND my kids would rather play the Wii then a 360 or PS3 anyday. I would rather play my 360 but I do also enjoy playing the Wii too. I really dont think a $50 price drop is going to cut into the Wii sales. I think the Wii is going to sell either way because it doesnt have much competition for its targeted groups.

[quote name='mannysgoldglove']I was thinking the same thing. I have a Wii and I know my wife AND my kids would rather play the Wii then a 360 or PS3 anyday. I would rather play my 360 but I do also enjoy playing the Wii too. I really dont think a $50 price drop is going to cut into the Wii sales. I think the Wii is going to sell either way because it doesnt have much competition for its targeted groups.[/quote]

I agree. The whole group play (offline multiplayer) experience BELONGS to the Wii. When I have people over, we mostly play the Wii. When no one is over though, the Wii collects dust.

They may be pulling the same trick as Sony, clearing out inventory of the older "Red Ring" Xboxes, only to release a model with the newer chip.

That trick would be slightly different, since it would be a legitimate price drop and not just adding value.

That is to say, they would lower the price...wait for it....AND have a lower price point.

[quote name='jaybird']They may be pulling the same trick as Sony, clearing out inventory of the older "Red Ring" Xboxes, only to release a model with the newer chip.[/QUOTE]

hmmmm, has there been any news as to when the newer chipped xboxes will be released?

i just bought one :/ lol.

okay, that's a step....no where's the working version of the system ;)

if they can get the fixed systems out at the same time, I would have no problem cashing a BB warranty towards an elite. of course, the memory card I would need to get to transfer saves would kinda kill the discount.

[quote name='Pijaibros']$100 or no sale.

[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Am I the only one who bought a Brand New 360 from Overtstock during the summer last year when they had them on sale for $307?

Extremely worth it for that price.

You can get brand new 360's for less than a $50 price drop RIGHT now. Why do you need an official price drop? Just go buy one on sale.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Am I the only one who bought a Brand New 360 from Overtstock during the summer last year when they had them on sale for $307?

You can get brand new 360's for less than a $50 price drop RIGHT now. Why do you need an official price drop? Just go buy one on sale.[/quote]

But then sales will drop it beyond the 50 dollar cut

[quote name='jaybird']They may be pulling the same trick as Sony, clearing out inventory of the older "Red Ring" Xboxes, only to release a model with the newer chip.[/quote]
that makes no sense. they still have to support these units.

besides, the price cut is going to come when the new hardware revision is ready - thats what will enable such a pricecut.

[quote name='Mister Switch']that makes no sense. they still have to support these units.

besides, the price cut is going to come when the new hardware revision is ready - thats what will enable such a pricecut.[/QUOTE]

They've already taken the accounting hit for the death-prone ones... so the $50 cut might be to clear inventory...

I'd like to see an uber cheap Core to compete with the casual folks. I've got a 20GB HDD I could fit in it (went completely stupid and bought the 120GB upgrade with some BB reward coupons and some gift cards... still cost me $70 though... heh)

Still, it's a wonder when the "next big drop" is going to come... There's a price-war coming... and I am ready to break out the popcorn and watch... Microsoft's idiotic if they think they can ride this price point ("excellent" games or not) for much longer....

We shall see... as they say. :)

Why did they not do this at E3? They could have stole some of the thunder from the other two consoles.

How often are they on sale? I know CC had the free year of live last week, and I see some bundles where you can save 10-40 bucks or so (if you want all the stuff its bundled with), but I don't recall actually seeing the console "on sale".
I agree, as a Wii owner who's wanting a 360, I think their games are targeting different markets for the most part.

Now $50 won't annoy me so much (as the owner of a release date Elite). $100 would have pissed me off though :lol:. I've definitely gotten $50 worth of enjoyment out of it the last 3 months, so a $430 MSRP Elite is cool with me. Hell, at this point as long as mine doesn't red ring I'll be happy.

[quote name='io']Now $50 won't annoy me so much (as the owner of a release date Elite). $100 would have pissed me off though :lol:. I've definitely gotten $50 worth of enjoyment out of it the last 3 months, so a $430 MSRP Elite is cool with me. Hell, at this point as long as mine doesn't red ring I'll be happy.[/QUOTE]

That's what I say every day. :) Heh. I wouldn't mind having the HDMI port myself... but I can wait for a price drop... (another one... heh)

[quote name='Flyersfan']Am I the only one who bought a Brand New 360 from Overtstock during the summer last year when they had them on sale for $307?

You can get brand new 360's for less than a $50 price drop RIGHT now. Why do you need an official price drop? Just go buy one on sale.[/quote]
I got mine for like 310 or something after coupon and fatcash in the fall from overstock. Granted it took forever since the first one they sent was DOA. Oh and a little giraffe water bottle!!(had to add it for coupon to work)

Are the 100 dollar people saying they still don't own PS2s? That's your prerogative but seriously, gaming might be the wrong hobby in my opinion. edit: misinterpreted thinking you meant system cost not price drop.

[quote name='Masterkyo']$50 is "NOT" Enough. It should be $360 with newer chip version. I rather wait till .65nm chip release :)[/quote]
And $40 magically is?

Also it is a 65nm chip thats being implemented, not a .65nm... .65nm amazingly small.

Better than nothing.

Looks like PS3 will be winning by a few more weeks since anyone on the internet that was going to buy a 360 will hold off till atleast late August/when it's dropped now.

After that MS will dominate second place when Halo 3 is out, atleast till January and Sony will have another chance. Nintendo is going to win this gen no contest though.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Better than nothing.

Looks like PS3 will be winning by a few more weeks since anyone on the internet that was going to buy a 360 will hold off till atleast late August/when it's dropped now.

After that MS will dominate second place when Halo 3 is out, atleast till January and Sony will have another chance. Nintendo is going to win this gen no contest though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. It's semantics, but my gut says they aren't even IN this generation. And even if they do beat out the 360/PS3 in sales, so what? It's such a different thing, aimed so far at such a different group of people (ie not most of us) that it may be as relevant as how many toasters Toastmaster sells. Okay, a bit more relevant than that, but... :D

I saw this posted in the IGN comments on the rumor:

About the $50 price cut I work at Blockbuster and according to our new News and Previews Magazine it is on the X360 elite that has now dropped....

Now, if that isn't the most moronic thing I've read :lol:. Sure, $50 off the Elite is fine, but not if that is the ONLY one dropping. Why in the hell would MS drop the Elite, which is selling rather well (I see them occasionally but they are always gone shortly afterwards) to within $30 of the Premium? I could see an across-the-board $50 cut, but sometimes people don't think. Perhaps this "News and Previews" magazine that mentioned the cut simply had a picture of an Elite. It also seems odd that any magazine like that would have this same rumor in published form at this point - it almost sounds like it is left over from the pre-E3 rumor.

Anyway, if MS drops the Elite by $50 but not the others it will only mean those systems will sell even faster as it becomes a great deal (relative to the other SKU's in any case). But it wouldn't do anything to increase their overall hardware sales as I'm sure the Elite is a small portion of those.

I'll hedge my bets and say that I will be very surprised if that is how it goes down. It just wouldn't make any sense.

I would consider getting an ELITE if there is a price drop as my current system is always getting "fixed". The extra HDD and HDMI would be nice for 1080p stuff (now that I have the TV that supports it).

I have $180 in credit at GameRush, and could get it over $200 probably. So, that plus selling my 360 on EBAY would put me at a break even point.

[quote name='msuna']Anyone see speedy's new ad for the august week to verify the price drop?[/QUOTE]

For the last time, ADS WON'T SHOW FUTURE/MID-WEEK PRICE DROPS.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']For the last time, ADS WON'T SHOW FUTURE/MID-WEEK PRICE DROPS.[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. i meant the ads the week of 8/5 -8/11/07. Doesn't he usually have them up by wed night?

[quote name='msuna']Sorry for the confusion. i meant the ads the week of 8/5 -8/11/07. Doesn't he usually have them up by wed night?[/QUOTE]

YGPM. It won't show up until the next week if it's valid.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']YGPM. It won't show up until the next week if it's valid.[/quote]

No thats why i call BS on an Aug 8th price drop. Thats just fucking stupid. i figure it will be either for the Aug 5 or aug 12. hence asking if anyone saw the ad!

The Elite is a weird price. I could see them chopping another 20 bucks off to get it to an even $400 if/when they drop the prices.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']For the last time, ADS WON'T SHOW FUTURE/MID-WEEK PRICE DROPS.[/quote]

But didn't the CC Ad show the PS3 price drop before it was announced officially ?

[quote name='benjamouth']But didn't the CC Ad show the PS3 price drop before it was announced officially ?[/QUOTE]

I can't attest to that.

But I can't see anyone putting out an ad on Sunday that tells people not to shop with them until Thursday or Friday because there's going to be a price drop.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I can't attest to that.

But I can't see anyone putting out an ad on Sunday that tells people not to shop with them until Thursday or Friday because there's going to be a price drop.[/quote]

No that's a fair point, I guess what might happen is we'll see it in an future Sunday ad from Speedy and know the drop is happening the week preceding that Ad.

I think thats what people mean when they say they'll see it in Speedy's ads.

[quote name='benjamouth']No that's a fair point, I guess what might happen is we'll see it in an future Sunday ad from Speedy and know the drop is happening the week preceding that Ad.

I think thats what people mean when they say they'll see it in Speedy's ads.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people had looked at the 29th-4th ads and didn't see a price drop and assumed the August 1st date wasn't valid. All I tried to explain was that not seeing it in the ad for that week wasn't a valid prognosis.

I believe Speedy has already stated the ad for CC for the 5th does not have a price drop. Now you can legitimately say there is no drop for the 1st, but can't make the same analysis for the 8th.

FWIW, I take more stock in a Friday drop than a Sunday one. More opportunity to get the press out on a weekday than a weekend.

That's a good point about the Circuit City Playstation 3 price drop, though it could have just been a screw up on their part.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Do you really think the $50 price difference between the core system and the Wii is WHY they're buying one over the other?[/QUOTE]

Yes. If they bundle the sucker with a memory card then I definantly know some people who will be buying the 360 over the Wii. For one, it's easier to find, and at the moment I would certainly hold the game selection on the 360 above current Wii titles.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I can't attest to that.

But I can't see anyone putting out an ad on Sunday that tells people not to shop with them until Thursday or Friday because there's going to be a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Why they put ads for new games and movies that are released on TUESDAY. They are saying, don't shop Sunday or Monday if you want these. I know it's a different situation since the product is already out.

Symantics though.....we can wait.

Plus it's a true next generation system...though Dr Mario Kart is probably right. At this point it practically seems like Wii's would sell no matter what.

[quote name='doubledown']Why they put ads for new games and movies that are released on TUESDAY. They are saying, don't shop Sunday or Monday if you want these. I know it's a different situation since the product is already out.

Symantics though.....we can wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really is different, at least in my book. Like you said, the DVDs aren't available. Then they get you to come in Sunday anyways with their cheap DVDs, because if you wait until Tuesday, they are long gone (at least with CC). The stores want you to come in on Sunday and Tuesday for the most part, the rest of the week you can get bent. They don't really want you to save any money, hence why they don't put out an ad for their busiest day: Saturday. By the time it comes around, all the 'deals' from the ads are gone and they hope you spend more money on something else that has a higher profit.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you see the major retailers advertise them at the same price, but with a 'throw-in.' Anything they could do to wring more profit out of them.

I want a 360 but I'm really in no rush right now as I'm getting it for Halo 3/GTA IV. I can wait for this impending price drop and I'll gladly welcome it.

[quote name='nikelecious91']Good thing I got mines $100 off..[/QUOTE]

How did you get it $100 off?

bread's done
Back