Average Seek Time: 12ms
Average Latency: 5.6ms
RPM: 5400 RPM
Physical Spec Form Factor 2.5"
Features:Three-platter Half-terabyte for Note PC
Standard 9.5mm Z-height

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm this is a bit misleading.

Judging by the topic title, one would think it was an actual PS3 for $120.

You might want to change it to say "500 GB HDD for use with PS3" or something.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Ummm this is a bit misleading.

Judging by the topic title, one would think it was an actual PS3 for $120.

[/QUOTE]

If one were extremely stupid, then perhaps one might think that.

What's even nicer is that the prices on other drives are going to go down. I don't think I'd ever need 500GB or else I might jump on this.

WOW that is an awesome price for this hard drive. Does anyone know anything about HDDs and whether Samsung is any good at making them?

I'd hate to drop over $100 on a drive that doesn't have a very long lifespan. I keep eyeing the $80 320GB one hoping it comes down in price.

Upgrading your HD wont effect BC, its a pretty easy upgrade for the PS3 also. Takes about 10mins tops, just back up your saves and copy them over when your done.

[quote name='shibaraski']I have 80GB mgs4 edition. if i upgrade to 500, will i still get the backward capability?[/quote]

Does a hard drive like this have any other benefits other than memory? Faster load times? Im just curious, because i was considering this.

If you can find a 7200 RPM drive, your PS3 might load stuff a little faster, which may be more preferable to capacity. Something to think about...

I'm trying my hardest not to even try to justify this, or similar deals, on a 500GB drive. With the ability to stream music and movies, this wouldn't really be all that useful at this point. Now, if we could install full games onto the hard drive from the BD, then maybe this would be worth it, but even then who wants to be installing 20 GB games onto the hard drive just to save some loading times?
Think I'll hold off on a 320GB for like $50 or even a 160GB if they get to be like $30.

can u use this for game saves,music,video,movies,pic,DLC from PSN

Last edited:
Okay! My question is, if I were to upgrade my PS3 HD, does Sony provide data migration tools like Microsoft? Or can I do it PC style by putting the old drive into an external enclosure, copy the drive to my PC drive, then put the new drive into the enclosure and copy/paste the old drive to it?

Or do I have to download ALL of my games and videos again?:bomb:

Great Deal OP. I just can't justify buying this right now. I still have plenty of room on my 80 gig, and by the time I get close to filling that up, this HD will be way cheaper than what it is now.

[quote name='Plac1d']$55 shipped for factory recertified Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 32MB Hard Drive at woot.com right now.[/quote]

That's a 3.5" HDD, so it wouldn't be compatible with the PS3. Still a good deal, though.

[quote name='spiderdog']Can someone verify if 500gb HDD will fit? I read somewhere that it is to thick and 320gb will fit.[/QUOTE]

It will fit. Any 2.5" SATA HDD should fit. A customer review on newegg also confirms this drive will work with the PS3.

[quote name='FadeToOne']If you can find a 7200 RPM drive, your PS3 might load stuff a little faster, which may be more preferable to capacity. Something to think about...[/quote]

Bunch of questions on the HD upgrade:

1. HD Speed:
As another poster mentioned the speed difference is negligible. Also, you want to avoid higher RPM drives as they run hotter and therefore will wear down your system. Definitely go for a 5400 rpm drive.

2. Difficulty upgrading drive:
Its relatively easy to upgrade your drive. Directions are in the PS3 manual and you can find thorough ones online also on youtube. Just one thing I have heard is be gentle and apply firm pressure when unscrewing the screws the first time. You don't want to strip them!

3. Drive you purchase MUST be 2.5 SATA.

4. Backwards Compatibility for PS2 games will NOT be affected.

5. Backing Up Data from Your Old Drive:
You CANNOT connect this drive to your PC to clone your old drive. The PS3 has a backup feature. You will need and external USB drive to do this. Then you make the switch. The PS3 will prompt you to format the new drive and then you can use the backup of the old drive. Now, if you only want to copy your game saves then a simple flash drive will do. But to keep your downloaded games and demos without having to re-download them then you will need a USB HD that is as big as the memory you have used.

Hope this info helps. If you need more help just PM me.

Also, OP thanks for the post. I would suggest posting my info above in your main post.

[quote name='Plac1d']$55 shipped for factory recertified Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 32MB Hard Drive at woot.com right now.[/QUOTE]

This is a 3.5" drive (for desktops). PS3 needs a notebook style 2.5" drive.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Bunch of questions on the HD upgrade:

1. HD Speed:
As another poster mentioned the speed difference is negligible. Also, you want to avoid higher RPM drives as they run hotter and therefore will wear down your system. Definitely go for a 5400 rpm drive.

2. Difficulty upgrading drive:
Its relatively easy to upgrade your drive. Directions are in the PS3 manual and you can find thorough ones online also on youtube. Just one thing I have heard is be gentle and apply firm pressure when unscrewing the screws the first time. You don't want to strip them!

3. Drive you purchase MUST be 2.5 SATA.

4. Backwards Compatibility for PS2 games will NOT be affected.

5. Backing Up Data from Your Old Drive:
You CANNOT connect this drive to your PC to clone your old drive. The PS3 has a backup feature. You will need and external USB drive to do this. Then you make the switch. The PS3 will prompt you to format the new drive and then you can use the backup of the old drive. Now, if you only want to copy your game saves then a simple flash drive will do. But to keep your downloaded games and demos without having to re-download them then you will need a USB HD that is as big as the memory you have used.

Hope this info helps. If you need more help just PM me.

Also, OP thanks for the post. I would suggest posting my info above in your main post.[/QUOTE]

Great post! I am adding a couple of details to elaborate on your good points.

About #1, faster spindle speed doesn't always mean higher temperatures. This is a brand-to-brand and a drive's revision / efficiency issue. Before buying a 7200 RPM drive, the buyer should read up on the particular HDD. I use a 7200 RPM in my PS3, and it's definitely a bit quicker (at least the one I bought). Also, when I measured the temperature with a thermal sensor inside the PS3, the temp was approximately the same as the old PS3 5400 RPM drive. The major drawback is less space for more money. I prefer a bit faster speeds. Now, can someone find a way to add the slightly thicker WD Velociraptor to a PS3??? Hmmmmmm.... :)

About #3, if someones wants to add a 3.5'' drive, then he can Google for more information. This may void the PS3's warranty. Here is a MySpace link for an example.

About #5, multiple thumb drives can be much cheaper than an external HDD. I never tried moving the data from the thumbdrive to a PC and copy more stuff over because I have only changed drives one time.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Okay! My question is, if I were to upgrade my PS3 HD, does Sony provide data migration tools like Microsoft? Or can I do it PC style by putting the old drive into an external enclosure, copy the drive to my PC drive, then put the new drive into the enclosure and copy/paste the old drive to it?

Or do I have to download ALL of my games and videos again?:bomb:[/QUOTE]

You will be able to copy all your videos. I use an external hard drive download all my videos to there. I don't think games are possible because then you'd be able to copy it over onto other PS3s. So you would end up re-downloading anything game related except game saves.

[quote name='starmask2k3']can u use this for game saves,music,video,movies,pic,DLC from PSN[/QUOTE]

please reply

[quote name='starmask2k3']please reply[/QUOTE]

You switch out your harddrive. Your old content goes on to the new drive. That includes your music, game saves and etc.

I upgraded my PS3 using the WD 320GB posted earlier in this thread. I opted not to go for 7200RPM not out of concern for heat/reliability, but b/c my PS3 is silent and i want to keep it that way.

To do the backup, I bought a $15 enclosure from newegg. Used the new 320GB drive to back up the PS3, then copied to my PC. Upgraded PS3 hard drive, then put the old drive in the enclosure, copied the backup from my PC to it, and then restored the PS3. It was smooth as silk, no problems.

I *highly* recommend you have Precision screwdrivers to do this upgrade. I can't remember if it was a #0 or a #1 I used. But the screws that attach the mount to the HDD are very difficult to get out, and if you use a regular screwdriver you will probably strip them beyond repair.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Okay! My question is, if I were to upgrade my PS3 HD, does Sony provide data migration tools like Microsoft? Or can I do it PC style by putting the old drive into an external enclosure, copy the drive to my PC drive, then put the new drive into the enclosure and copy/paste the old drive to it?

Or do I have to download ALL of my games and videos again?:bomb:[/quote]

The PS3 has a built-in back function which will backup your system to a connected USB drive. Simply backup and then swap in the new drive. The system will initialize it and then boot like a new console. You can now reconnect the drive you backed up to and perform a restore.

Note that the back takes a long time if you have a lot of data. It's best to backup your Video, Music, and Games saves to the external USB drive prior to running the backup. After you have transferred over this data delete it off your PS3. Then go into the Game Data area of the XBM and delete the data the games save to the HDD, this makes it so you will need to redownload patches and game DLC but it makes the process faster. From here you can then delete any DLC that you don't mind redownloading before doing the backup.

After you perform the restore the console will appear to be the same one you previously had and you will be able to redownload all of your DLC without using an additional activiation.

Thanks for the bump! Even though my hard drive has been running low on space for a while, I skipped out on that 320GB that's on sale. But now I'm glad I did, because this seems like a way better deal. Already put my order in.

Great Deal, However I wonder why Amazon hasn't gotten these in yet and they are only sold by a third party retailer.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 updates the firmware to allow the same play from HD feature live just made to the NXE. That is the best justification I could come up with.

I'm not trying to put down this deal but it's great at $99.99 for 500GBs. Honestly though who in the world will use 500GB? I mean unless your downloading tons of movies, TV shows, and music. I can't see someone filling this up.

[quote name='tbolt30']I'm not trying to put down this deal but it's great at $99.99 for 500GBs. Honestly though who in the world will use 500GB? I mean unless your downloading tons of movies, TV shows, and music. I can't see someone filling this up.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is to not fill up the hard drive. I can't speak for everyone, but I want the room to make sure I never run out of space. Right now I have a 60GB, and it's already close to be filled up. I have about 15 PSN games and about the same amount of PS3 games that I have played so far (which all have game data varying in size), and with about 60 other games on my shelf, plenty of future PSN games I'm interested in, not to mention all the trailers and demos I'm always downloading and you can see the need to get a bigger hard drive eventually.

I'd rather not have to deal with constant data management (installing/uninstalling game data, having to delete things I may not want to due to space limitations, etc) and instead just have the room to download whatever I want.

[quote name='tbolt30']I'm not trying to put down this deal but it's great at $99.99 for 500GBs. Honestly though who in the world will use 500GB? I mean unless your downloading tons of movies, TV shows, and music. I can't see someone filling this up.[/quote]

You're right I probably won't use all of the 500GB (really 413 after format), but my 60GB harddrive is filled up, so I needed a new one anyway, and I figure I'd rather get 500GB for $100 than 320 for $80.

[quote name='tbolt30']I'm not trying to put down this deal but it's great at $99.99 for 500GBs. Honestly though who in the world will use 500GB? I mean unless your downloading tons of movies, TV shows, and music. I can't see someone filling this up.[/quote]

Straight from the Bill Gates school of thought (no one will ever need more than 640k). You left out the fact that more and more GAMES are available to download straight from the PSN. Throw that on top of everything else you mentioned and it would not be hard to fill up 500GB. While it does a great job of streaming, having the files on the HD makes it much easier.

Can a moderator change the name of the thread to reflect the current pricing? Some might not check this because of the old price.

Hot damn... I'm 100gb free with a 320gb, paid $80 back in March, this is a great deal! Too much backup work for me to jump on this...

bread's done
Back