500gb PS3 HDD - £69.99

Good luck formatting a 500mb HDD in FAT32. Its a laptop size hard drive, so it will fit inside a PS3. I think its difficult to format in FAT32 beyond 200 (well, 196) gigabytes, isnt it?

[quote name='Nayson']Good luck formatting a 500mb HDD in FAT32. Its a laptop size hard drive, so it will fit inside a PS3. I think its difficult to format in FAT32 beyond 200 (well, 196) gigabytes, isnt it?[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? you shouldn't confuse people with mixing the questions!

You can format fat32 upto 500GB with 3rd party software in windows.

But he wants this drive for his ps3 so why are you talking about windows!
put it in a different thread.

Dont know the limit of the drive size that you can put in the ps3!, as long as its 2.5 in size iv seen people say they have put a 320GB in it and it worked. can anyone confirm anything bigger.

Also remember the drive must be 9.5mm tall, 400GB and 500GB drives are usually 12.5mm tall and do not fit... but there are a few that are 9.5mm tall! like this Western Digital in the thread, and i think there's also a Samsung one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mariom']I bought the same drive from Ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150515/show_product_reviews

Fitted it straight into my PS3 slim but I didn't have any PC connection questions as I didn't have any data to backup. £63.91 delivered at the moment :applause:[/QUOTE]

ach, that is a better price :/
should have shopped around a bit more
ah well i guess thats a lesson learned today

[quote name='awhatthe']What are you talking about? you shouldn't confuse people with mixing the questions!

You can format fat32 upto 500GB with 3rd party software in windows.

But he wants this drive for his ps3 so why are you talking about windows!
put it in a different thread..[/QUOTE]

Well, you will have to format the drive before you put it in the PS3 wont you?
PS3 drives need to be formatted in FAT32 and I was of the understanding that it was difficult, if not impossible to format a hard drive in FAT32 and get 500gb out of it. Especially if you are trying to do this as a layman.
If you are dropping big money on a hard drive that you might not even get the full benefit out of then it might be a bit of a waste of money. A smaller, cheaper hard drive could be a good idea. Not saying its right, im just saying its worth thinking about.

As for confusing people? Sorry, but I credit most people with at least a certain level of intelligence. There is no rocket science in anything I posted. Even if its a concept that might not have been heard of/thought of by anybody who read it, the level of understanding needed to follow it can be found by spending about 30 seconds on Google.

So, has anybody got 500gb working in FAT32? If so, did you get it working in Windows or did you need some other software? If it was other software, what software?

[quote name='Nayson']Sorry, but I credit most people with at least a certain level of intelligence. There is no rocket science in anything I posted. [/QUOTE]

First of all, i know about FAT32/NTFS
and for the last time, i mean the LAST time

i was linking to a HDD thats compatible for the PS3.

from what i read you only have about 400gb avaliable after installation but still worth it imo

[quote name='Nayson']Well, you will have to format the drive before you put it in the PS3 wont you?
PS3 drives need to be formatted in FAT32 and I was of the understanding that it was difficult, if not impossible to format a hard drive in FAT32 and get 500gb out of it. Especially if you are trying to do this as a layman.
If you are dropping big money on a hard drive that you might not even get the full benefit out of then it might be a bit of a waste of money. A smaller, cheaper hard drive could be a good idea. Not saying its right, im just saying its worth thinking about.

As for confusing people? Sorry, but I credit most people with at least a certain level of intelligence. There is no rocket science in anything I posted. Even if its a concept that might not have been heard of/thought of by anybody who read it, the level of understanding needed to follow it can be found by spending about 30 seconds on Google.

So, has anybody got 500gb working in FAT32? If so, did you get it working in Windows or did you need some other software? If it was other software, what software?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to get all angry but this needs to be said.... YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
wtf you dont need to format anything in a pc before you put it in you ps3!
put the harddrive in you ps3, it dose everything for you (format partition bla bla bla)....... end of.

and of course you dont get 500Gb out of a hard drive you get about 420Gb! after partition! but thats a harddrive thing not a ps3 thing. its got to do with how space is calculated in drives. but this has been know since befor the end of time!! as your a fan of google i gess you should use it! and find out why.

finally big money....... 500GB for around £80........ are you nuts!

ooooo and a "smaller cheaper hard drives may be worth it" a......... mm..... even with these hard drives you have to format them and you loose space. eg 120 GB harddrive mite leave you with 90GB

let me make this point clear your not confusing people with the fact that your talking about this stuff! you confusing people because your WRONGGGGGGGGGG about every point you made.
if you dont know something dont talk about it! ask? dont go on like you know what you talking. yes google is good for info but you have got to be able to read!!! in you case!!!

back to this great find buy the poster!! everthing will work as long as you read my last post.

bread's done
Back