500GB Seagate Momentus 5400RPM 2.5" SATA HD - $109.99 @ NewEgg.com w/FS

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
NewEgg.com has the 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Momentus 5400.6 drive that fits into the PS3. Currently $109.99 with free shipping, though there's a $10 off coupon with code EMCBCBCAH , knocking it down to $99.99.

Link to it on NewEgg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148371

Also note that after 01/03/09, Seagate bare drives, like this one, will only carry a 3 year warranty from time of purchase. Retail pack drives will still carry a 5 year warranty.

Link to the article:
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16049

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome deal! I'd jump all over it if I didn't already spring for a 300GB drive a few weeks ago. I guess I should have waited...

This would be epic for my laptop also. 100 seems to be the price I drop for new harddrives. Last one was a 500 for a 3.5" at 100 awhile ago.

If I get a new drive, I think I will go with something smaller. I honestly don't ever see myself even finding 500GB worth of stuff to have on my PS3. I barely crack 200GB on my PC, even with Windows, office stuff, music and a bunch of games.

[quote name='the_punisher']I don't know why you'd ever need 500 GB. I'm strugging to maintain my 60 GB (55), but i'm finding a way.[/quote]

Well anything under 500GB isn't really a good value proposition. If you like keeping movies and television shows on your PS3 and have a handful of game data installs you're going to be pretty close most of the time. At least that's been my experience with the 60 that pretty consistently has to have stuff deleted to keep a few spare gigs around for the next install.

I don't know how anyone would manage with the 40, which brings us back to the value proposition.

Can the PS3 use all 500GB (or whatever the formatted capacity is)? For some reason I thought there was a ceiling at one point.

[quote name='shrike4242']NewEgg.com has the 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Momentus 5400.6 drive that fits into the PS3. Currently $109.99 with free shipping, though there's a $10 off coupon with code EMCBCBCAH , knocking it down to $99.99.

Link to it on NewEgg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148371

Also note that after 01/03/09, Seagate bare drives, like this one, will only carry a 3 year warranty from time of purchase. Retail pack drives will still carry a 5 year warranty.

Link to the article:
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16049[/quote]

I've seen a couple of your post about SATA HD and wanted to know is there a certain or best brand that should get? Or are they all the same? I know that the PS3 has 5400RPM stock on the hard drive, but thats it. I have a 60g PS3 and I'm constantly deleting games saves to make room, too many games to play.

[quote name='mkernan']True, but some people would rather have it installed internally rather than having to keep an external drive around.

If I had the money, I'd seriously consider this.... I keep having to delete stuff from my 60 GB also.[/quote]

Ok, so I'm totally noob about this, but can you use a external HDD for the PS3? Wouldn't that slow something down?

[quote name='Trix']Ok, so I'm totally noob about this, but can you use a external HDD for the PS3? Wouldn't that slow something down?[/quote]

I don't think it's possible to use it as a replacement for your internal hard drive. But it can be connected and can be used to transfer files. Files can also be played directly from the external drive. But you can NOT install anything on it and if you do download something towards it, I believe you won't be able to download in the background (if thats possible).

In other words, it will behave like what it is, an external hard drive. Anyway, if I'm getting you wrong and you're just asking whether it can be connected to the PS3 then yes it can. However you gotta remember to use FAT32 or something. PS3 doesn't recognize NTFS I believe.

lol. i just bought a 340GB one yesterday morning. oh well. it was $20 cheaper than this one. shoulda waited.

[quote name='Trix']I've seen a couple of your post about SATA HD and wanted to know is there a certain or best brand that should get? Or are they all the same? I know that the PS3 has 5400RPM stock on the hard drive, but thats it. I have a 60g PS3 and I'm constantly deleting games saves to make room, too many games to play.[/quote]Between the different 5400RPM drives, it's pretty much the same for performance, except for some small differences.

Warranty and support are the big things, and Seagate's warranty for bare drives is reducing from 5 years to 3 years on 01/03/09. I think Western Digital and Hitachi are both 3 years, and I think the same goes for Samsung.

This is tempting, indeed. I am contemplating buying it, then taking the HDD out of my laptop and put that in my PS3 (it's 160 GB), and then putting this in my laptop. Hmmm...

[quote name='mang9432']i think i'm gonna get this for my macbook and put the 120 thats in my laptop in my ps3. thanks OP![/quote]

Nice, I was planning to do that also.

[quote name='shadowkast']without the $10 off is this still worth it??[/QUOTE]

i think so. Mine has been working great in my laptop for a solid month now. Can't do better for the money, even @ 99

dang, i almost bought a 320. are there any western digital 500GB HDDs that fit into the PS3?

I was thinking about grabbing this to upgrade my PS3, but one of the reviews on the linked page says that it does not work well with the PS3 :whistle2:\ ... are there any other recommendations for hard drives?

EDIT:
I found this Samsung one on newegg as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114It
It looks to be the same specs as the Seagate, but it has a review on it saying it works well with the PS3.
I'm so confused.

[quote name='JSD']I was thinking about grabbing this to upgrade my PS3, but one of the reviews on the linked page says that it does not work well with the PS3 :whistle2:\ ... are there any other recommendations for hard drives?

EDIT:
I found this Samsung one on newegg as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114
It looks to be the same specs as the Seagate, but it has a review on it saying it works well with the PS3.
I'm so confused.[/quote]I read those reviews as well. Odd that the 500GB version of the Momentus seems to be a problematic in the PS3, though the 320GB version seems to work without an issue.

I am interested in upgrading my HD and this sounds like a great deal. But...

A) Is it hard to do? (I build my own PCs, so I'm asking about getting things transferred or reloaded)

B) Why does the Playstation Home beta take up so much room? I have only a few games and I have the 80GB PS3 model. The other day when I got Rachet and Clank, it would not install. It said I didn't have the HD space, but my settings said I had 54GB free. (I deleted the PS Home) Anybody seen this?

[quote name='ntmonster']I am interested in upgrading my HD and this sounds like a great deal. But...

A) Is it hard to do? (I build my own PCs, so I'm asking about getting things transferred or reloaded)

B) Why does the Playstation Home beta take up so much room? I have only a few games and I have the 80GB PS3 model. The other day when I got Rachet and Clank, it would not install. It said I didn't have the HD space, but my settings said I had 54GB free. (I deleted the PS Home) Anybody seen this?[/quote]In order:

A) It's not that hard to do. There are numerous guides on the Internet on how to do it, including one around here in the PS3 forum. The main issue is backing up your saved info to an external hard drive. Also covered in the guides on what to do.

B) It cached 4GB or so on my drive, so it does take up a bit of space, yes. No idea why R&C wouldn't install, as you do have plenty of space for the game install. I'd have tried a shutdown/power back up and see if the issue still happens.

If it were as easy to swap the hard drive from a MacBook Pro as it is with a MacBook, I'd be all over this. But alas, a drive swap in the MBP is risky and time consuming. Plus it's not like I'm running low on room with the 120 GB that in there now (upgraded a launch 20 GB model).

[quote name='ntmonster']I am interested in upgrading my HD and this
The other day when I got Rachet and Clank, it would not install. It said I didn't have the HD space, but my settings said I had 54GB free. (I deleted the PS Home) Anybody seen this?[/quote]

That's an unfortunate bug with RCF and not a problem with your harddrive. During the install process RCF check to see if you've got enough space and occaisionally if you have enough space to install it will still tell you that you don't have enough space. The simple work around for it (as you found out) is to install or delete approximately 500 MB of data.

[quote name='shrike4242']In order:

A) It's not that hard to do. There are numerous guides on the Internet on how to do it, including one around here in the PS3 forum. The main issue is backing up your saved info to an external hard drive. Also covered in the guides on what to do.

B) It cached 4GB or so on my drive, so it does take up a bit of space, yes. No idea why R&C wouldn't install, as you do have plenty of space for the game install. I'd have tried a shutdown/power back up and see if the issue still happens.[/quote]

All of the hdd instructions are also right on sony's webiste, with pretty pictures.

since I brought this thread back from the dead, got a question. Can I swap drives in this way:
-remove my 80gig from the PS3
-back it up (basically just copy) on my desktop PC~w/ enclosure
-format the new drive~w/ ps3
-transfer (basically paste) the backup from desktop to new drive~w/ enclosure
-install new drive in ps3
-sit back and enjoy a job well done*

Thanx in advance guys
*multiple beers will be consumed throughout the entire process!

Edit: I know the standard method is to use a external hd for backing up(which I don't own and would wish to save my $$$$). The above steps are, I'm thinking, to just clone my 80 gig onto the 320gig

I recently upgraded my PS3 with a 500GB Samsung M6. I took advantage of the Newegg 15%-off-with-Paypal deal and got it for $100. Extremely happy with my purchase. Those looking to upgrade their PS3s should definitely jump on this.

bread's done
Back