60 gig PS3 w/ 7 Free Blu-Rays for $499.xx shipped!

bassec

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Now 7, instead of 8:
Direct link to deal on Amazon

Old instructions:
Similar to the HD DVD deal, if you get a Playstation 3 from Amazon, you can pick any 3 BluRay movies from this list, and get 5 more by mail

How to get the deal:
  1. Add the PS3 to shopping cart
  2. Add any of the movies from this list
  3. Discount will show on the LAST PAGE, right before submitting the order.

Some of the more expensive movies to make it the cheapest
(only found 3):
Ice Age - The Meltdown [Blu-ray] $27.95
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen [Blu-ray] $27.95
X-Men - The Last Stand [Blu-ray] $27.95

The above 3 will net you the PS3 and movies for $499.99 - $27.95 = $472.04

Other movies (not as expensive, but still good):
The Messengers [Blu-ray] $26.95
Premonition [Blu-ray] $26.95
Stomp the Yard [Blu-ray] $26.95
Stranger Than Fiction [Blu-ray] $26.95
The Pursuit of Happyness [Blu-ray] $26.95
Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray] $24.95
Night at the Museum [Blu-ray] $24.95

No tax and free shipping for most.
thanks go to ShadowGuard @ SD for this!

[quote name='moonphrogg']7 movies is now gone. . .looks like we're working with 6 now. . .[/QUOTE]
It shows up fine in my cart using the link above. I got in with 3 free instantly fortunately, but this 2 free deal is working now.

BTW : I'm getting 10% off all BR and HD-DVD software since getting in on this (even got it on the 3 freebies at the time of PS3 purchase, saving $7 on the order). Am I the only one?

i tried it just now and it only work for 6 free BR DVDs for me...

what are the current promotions going on at amazon? is it just like a 10% or what?

EDIT: nevermind it does work for 7 free BR DVDs like OP says...

[quote name='Decker']It shows up fine in my cart using the link above. I got in with 3 free instantly fortunately, but this 2 free deal is working now.

BTW : I'm getting 10% off all BR and HD-DVD software since getting in on this (even got it on the 3 freebies at the time of PS3 purchase, saving $7 on the order). Am I the only one?[/quote]

No, I get the 10% off too. I do not know if it is a minimum quantity or amount spent, then you get the discount. I just bought 300 and Heros in HD DVD and they both had 10% off.

The extra 10% off is from an HD movie promo amazon had at the beginning of the year. It's good for one year, no minimum or limit.

Nice to see this deal come back sort of--Sony sent me a "what do you think of Blu-Ray" survey through their G.A.P. marketing thing, today as well, ironically.

[quote name='lobitoh']Does amazon's ps3 still have the EE chip?[/QUOTE]
As I understand it, ALL 60 GB PS3s have the EE chip. They've stopped making them and from now on will only be making PS3s like the 80GB model with software emulation.

[quote name='Decker']As I understand it, ALL 60 GB PS3s have the EE chip. They've stopped making them and from now on will only be making PS3s like the 80GB model with software emulation.[/quote]

PS2 games look awful on the PS3 even with the extra options enabled to make it look better. Might as well use your PS2 if you have one.

[quote name='kmartbum001']PS2 games look awful on the PS3 even with the extra options enabled to make it look better. Might as well use your PS2 if you have one.[/QUOTE]

In July, I fell for the no more EE chip hype and got a 60 PS3...I sold the PS3 two weeks ago for the lack of any thing to play on it...You'd be better off holding on to your PS2 and waiting a little bit...The PS3 will drop in price again, probably after Christmas, if not before, and by waiting and keeping your PS2, you have 100% backward compatibilty and PS3 at a lower price.

[quote name='kmartbum001']PS2 games look awful on the PS3 even with the extra options enabled to make it look better. Might as well use your PS2 if you have one.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I've heard...

[quote name='kmartbum001']PS2 games look awful on the PS3 even with the extra options enabled to make it look better. Might as well use your PS2 if you have one.[/quote]i hear its sad but true...

UG - now I'm curious; I still have my PS3 and PS2. Not certain it's a valid comparison though, I've got my PS2 running to an S-video on the TV and the PS3 is just using regular component video.

Huh - maybe I ought to swap that around.

Component is better than s-video. Did you mean composite?

At any rate, there was an initial issue with PS2 games that got fixed, but other than that the PS3 should display them as well or better (except in cases where the new model can't handle them right...)

This may have been mentioned previously in the thread, but before I cut apart my new PS3 box, I wanted to make sure the UPC is located on the top of the box near the handle. Just making sure. Thanks.

I'm wondering if it's worth it buying the PS3 with the EE chip or just wait for a PS3 price drop and wait for the Sony Emulation team to make the PS2 games 100% BC. Decisions, decision, what do you recommend, CAG??

[quote name='NolbertoS']I'm wondering if it's worth it buying the PS3 with the EE chip or just wait for a PS3 price drop and wait for the Sony Emulation team to make the PS2 games 100% BC. Decisions, decision, what do you recommend, CAG??[/QUOTE]
I bit on this deal (actually the 8 free BR deal) and I think it's pretty good one, but if you wait long enough, I'm sure the price will drop further. In addition, the controller will have rumble starting in early 08 which is nice. Your call really.

Regarding the whole EE issue, I think it all depends on the following:

Do you have a large collection of PS1/PS2 games? If so, are all of them "mainstream" or are some of them obscure/rare?

Do you want to get rid of your Playstation 2?

Are you impatient? Do you even want to play any PS3 games on it, or are you hoping that you'd eventually get some games and want the better system? Do you want Rumble support?

Do you want a Blu-Ray Player?

Do you have $500 to burn?
---------------------------

Here was my thought process...

Backwards Compatibility
I have a few PS1/PS2 games that I want to be 100% sure will play on my next gen system. I felt that having the EE chip was best for backwards compatibility. Although miracles can happen and future non-EE PS3 systems may be able to be 100% backwards compatible, I doubt it will happen. I expect only the major releases to have full compatibility, whilist the obscure games get ignored. But honestly, nobody knows for sure.

Price
I bought mine (60 GB w/ EE chip) using the Sony Card $150 off promotion (system costing only $385 after tax). $500 was too much for me to justify the purchase, considering there are no system exclusive PS3 games that I want to buy this year. In addition, I was able to sell my PS2 privately for $90; so in actuality, it made my purchase feel like $295. If I was going to get a PS3, I had no need for a PS2.

Impatience
I'm incredibly impatient when there is a great promo or sale price. If its full price, I can wait. The 5 free Blu-Rays are tempting only if you like those movies, or can sell them on ebay. Most likely, with the right combo of movies, you can sell them for about $50 on ebay. A nice way to knock down the price.

HD vs. Blu-Ray War
I wouldn't worry so much about which format is 'winning' the war unless you plan on buying HD movies. The Blu-Ray is a bonus feature of the PS3. Its a video games system that also plays Blu Rays. I bought myself Planet Earth on Blu Ray and it looks great.

Rumble
I don't care about rumble support. I currently use the the PS2 controller adapter as a second controller (for PS2/PS1 games). When the rumble controllers hit retail, I may consider buying one.

Overall, my PS3 is currently being used to play some Blu Ray movies and PS2/PS1 games. I do not regret my purchase. Eventually I'll get some PS3 games.

Hope this helps.

So I take it the 80GB PS3 model doesn't have the EE chip?? If that's the case, as I do have a huge and I mean huge backlog of PS2 and PS1 games, and some of them are very rare, like the Shin Megami games on the PS1 and PS2, than I guess I'll have to get the EE chip PS3 version soon. I wonder if I should sell my PS2 system and at least get some cash from EB, or do you guys think I should keep it and just buy the PS3 60GB models before they're gone.

Yeah, the 80 GB doesn't have the EE chip and does BC through software emulation. Although I hear it's pretty good, it was the deal breaker for me and if it's important to you, get the 60 GB. Don't know how much credit you'd get for your PS2 at EB. I got a measly $30 at Game Crazy but I couldn't think of anything else to do with it.

[quote name='NolbertoS']So I take it the 80GB PS3 model doesn't have the EE chip?? If that's the case, as I do have a huge and I mean huge backlog of PS2 and PS1 games, and some of them are very rare, like the Shin Megami games on the PS1 and PS2, than I guess I'll have to get the EE chip PS3 version soon. I wonder if I should sell my PS2 system and at least get some cash from EB, or do you guys think I should keep it and just buy the PS3 60GB models before they're gone.[/QUOTE]
If you checked the list, you'd see SMTIII, DDS, and even Devil Summoner all work with no problems on the 80GB model. And PS1 games should run the same on EE as EE-less, if I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunatly a number of the Final Fantasy titles on the Playstation 1 have issues, and Shadow of Destiny on the Playstation 2 apparently crashes on the model without the PS2-on-a-chip.

I bit on this deal, mainly because in spite of selling off a considerable number of my old PS1 RPGs, I still have a load of them, and I still have a load of PS2 games as well. I moved the PS2 to my son's room and have the PS3 in the living room (with the Wii and the 360). I really wanted the EE chip in my PS3, it's more important to me than a bigger hard drive.

I basically used the money I made selling my old stuff on ebay to pay off my new Mac, and get me a PS3...the way I figure it, the 7 blu ray films, plus the EE chip made it worth it to purchase now and wait for another game besides Resistance.

But if you're looking to jump in and play PS3 games, good luck, because I'm amazed at how little there is to play a year after its release...it's really kind of pathetic. There's lots in the pipeline, but right now....eesh!

I bought the PS3 a couple weeks ago using the $150 Sony card signup promo (I think its down to $100 now). Turns out you get 4000 points for the purchase and you can convert it to cashback which made the ps3 310+tax.

Sadly I've run out of Blu ray movies to watch and I can't even get in on the Toysrus deal because there aren't three ps3 games I would want to keep.

If you want the PS3, I personally think now is the time to get it. (Which is why I did.)

It hasn't been confirmed, but most people expect the 80 GB to drop in price to $500 once the 60 GB is sold out. Nobody knows whether it will still include Motorstorm. But for me, even if you don't factor in the EE chip, 8 Blu-Rays was worth more than 1 game (which might not even be included after the price drops) and 20 GB of space. I never owned a PS2 and there are a lot of games I want to go back and play (and can now get cheap), so the EE chip was the icing on the cake.

The new rumble controller was just announced, but won't be released in North America until early next year. No word yet on whether it will be packaged with the new systems (though I'd be surprised if it wasn't).

There's also a rumor floating around that there will be a 40 GB for $400 with Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray by Christmas.

So what is worth more to you?
-- Definite: 60 GB space + 7 Blu-Rays + EE chip + you get it now
-- Likely, if you wait until 60 GB is gone: 80 GB space + *maybe* 1 game
-- Possibly, if you wait until Christmas: 40 GB space + 1 Blu-Ray + $100 Savings
-- Possibly, if you wait until after Christmas: 40 GB space + 1 Blu-Ray? + $100 Savings + rumble included (I suspect they'll switch out the Blu-Ray for the rumble controller, but that is 100% speculation on my part)

Hmm..thanks for all the inputs, even though Sony has the list of BC games for it's non-EE chip versions, I doubt they'll ever going to fix all the issues and make it 100% working order, as MS is still getting complaints over not fixing there emulations for the BC list on the 360 and with Blu-ray movies for free, it's tempting for awhile, but I think my huge backlog of PS2 and PS1 games will keep me entertained for awhile at least, before more good games come out on the PS3, like MGS4, FFXIII, and others.

I forgot to ask, when does this offer expire?? it doesn't say on Amazon?? or does it expire until all the PS3 60GB consoles have been sold out??

One thing to note; Toshiba has already planned on extending their free HD-DVD promotion past the current expiration date.

You can bet Sony will match that, at minimum. So if you're worried about the free movie deal never coming back, don't be.

bread's done
Back