$60 Video Games might be ending.....

Ronzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Found an interesting news article on the prices of newly released games($60) may be ending. Good for CAGers not wanting to spend that much on a newly released title but not sure how this might affect developers, etc...

Read and discuss.

NEWS LINK

we can only hope. it takes forever for the better games on consoles to go down in pric. look how much you still have to pay for ratchet and clank on he ps3 new. but knowing the greed of companies they will just drop prices and have tons of pay dlc to even things out.

nope. prices won't drop. they'll just ship less amounts which will make preordering essential this year.

watch.

cheaper games = less titles = hopefully better gaming experiences = higher sales

Right????

They will just do what some developers are already doing now. They will release an uncompleted game full of bugs and then you have to download updates to make the game fully complete.

But cheaper games that are actually completed (ironed out) would be nice.

[quote name='Scorch']nope. prices won't drop. they'll just ship less amounts which will make preordering essential this year.

watch.[/quote]

They can ship as few as they like, shipping less isn't going to buck up the economy or put more money in peoples pockets.

Pre-ordering is seldom, if ever, essential.

They can get away with charging $60 for Halo, Gears of War, GTA, and other big hits. For the B list title they should not charge that much

Those games are expensive to produce. I'm not saying that I'm happy about the $60 price tag but the economics in producing games are really tough.

They make games that cost $60?! I can't remember a game I've spent more than $15 on since I discovered this site.

Won't they need to keep the higher price point to keep up with inflation? But they should charge different amounts for the type of product, some games cost more to make, but competitors who make games for less have more flexibility in their pricing. All these marketing notions that I never really learned are floating around.

This was definitely inevitable, especially with the quick drops over the past couple of months i.e. mirror's edge and prince of persia only a couple weeks after release. That coupled with Microsoft's decision to MSRP some of their own games at $40 in the US.

Remember when CDs made games cheaper? Remember when offline Dreamcast games were $39.99? What happened to those days?

i think with the state of economy games wont necessarily come out cheaper, but will drop in price quicker....developers are still gonna wanna milk the dedicated gamers for a bit

[quote name='Chuplayer']Remember when CDs made games cheaper? Remember when offline Dreamcast games were $39.99? What happened to those days?[/quote]

Inflation and HD. The only thing that might reduce costs would be digital distribution, but unless you're talking about puzzle games don't hold your breath.

I don't really mind $60 games but what pisses me off is when devs are holding back content and making you pay for DLC. If I'm paying full price for a game, it should come with everything, not making me pay DLC to unlock something that's already on the fucking disc. I feel like I'm missing part of the game and being ripped off at the same time.

The price won't drop. Remember the "video games are recession proof" discussions? That proves that even under bad economical situations people still pay $60 for video games. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up by $5 next gen.

Also, $60 isn't a bad price for what you are getting. I remember paying more for games back in the SNES/Genesis era. Imagine if the price went up with inflation from that price point back then. Realistically we are getting higher quality games for cheaper than we used to.

when Street Fighter 2 came out on SNES it was $74.99 at Toys R' Us($69.99 everywhere else - TRU always charged $5 over MSRP).

true story.

in other words, games aren't as expensive as you think. however, im still of the opinion that $60 is too much. i find lately that 80% or so of my game purchases are $20 or less.(downloadable games or reduced retail titles)

[quote name='gokou36']I don't really mind $60 games but what pisses me off is when devs are holding back content and making you pay for DLC. If I'm paying full price for a game, it should come with everything, not making me pay DLC to unlock something that's already on the fucking disc. I feel like I'm missing part of the game and being ripped off at the same time.[/quote]

I have to agree. I will not buy extra DLC for a game. The only thing I have bought extra was Variety Map pack in COD4. I speak to the Devs with my wallet.

[quote name='62t']They can get away with charging $60 for Halo, Gears of War, GTA, and other big hits. For the B list title they should not charge that much[/quote]Exactly. Those games are "worth it," generally speaking.

I remember back in the day Atari games were around 30-40 bucks. Old PC games used to be around 35-50 bucks a pop too, and this was back when they were on big ass floppies and had EGA graphics, hell some games were text only.

You young folks have it easy. :bomb:

While I prefer to get my games as cheaply as possible, I think people need to put the $60 price point in perspective. Prices are $8-10 just for a one-time ticket to see a movie that lasts generally 1.5-2 hours, $20 or more for a DVD of that same movie you generally only watch a couple of times, and on and on. (Let's not even talk about sporting events, which are also a one-tme experience.) Good games at $60 are still a bargain relatively speaking (but I'm still going for the sales and coupons :D ).

$60 prices don't really bother me since I rarely evey buy games new and just wait for price drops/goozex.

Games are decent value for a dollar per hour equivalency, but those comparisons are far from perfect as it really comes down to what you enjoy more.

I enjoy movies a lot more than I do games so I'd rather drop $10 on a good movie ticket, or $20 on a DVD or Blu Ray of a movie I'll watch over and over than the same prices (much less $60) for a 20-40 hour game.

bread's done
Back