640gb 2.5in sata, for ps3 systems $50

FYI guys I believe its was ignore that tested games back to back with 5400 and 7200 drive and found there wasn't much difference. Literally a second or two in most cases.

[quote name='Jello1996']
Anybody who isn't sure about upgrading themselves though, it's super easy. I've never upgraded or modded a computer in my life, but did my PS3 hard drive upgrade in a couple of minutes with no problems.[/QUOTE]

That's where I'm at right now will be my first PS3 hard drive upgrade. Thinking about jumping in on this deal since my 160 GB is about half way full already from PSN stuff.

damn, looks like i had a decent post for once!
and people EITHER speed will work fine,
and YES it is confirmed that it will work, the samsung drives are great.
just glad i got a decent post in before someone beat me to it

[quote name='pladman']damn, looks like i had a decent post for once!
and people EITHER speed will work fine,
and YES it is confirmed that it will work, the samsung drives are great.
just glad i got a decent post in before someone beat me to it[/QUOTE]

Its been a very helpful thread. Ordered yesterday and its being delivered today (im in NYC so real close to their NJ HQ)

Backed up all my PS+ saves, will suck to have to redownload every PSN game, its unlock code, my online game passes, and have to reinstall a game every time i put it in my PS3 for the first time again

[quote name='sirpoopsalot21']Do you think it would suffice if I were to use a 4gb usb flash drive to backup my save files which includes gran turismo 5?[/QUOTE]

i dunno if 4g is enough for gt5, depends on how many cars you have, 4g wouldn't hold my garage haha. be safe and use an 8g

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Just to add my own info to the mix.

If you are like me and didn't have an external drive big enough to backup the PS3 HDD you currently use there is a very very easy solution.

Step 1: Buy one of these (doesn't need to be this exact one mind you)
Step 2: Put the new HDD inside it and connect it to your computer
Step 3: Format it to FAT32. This can be done via the command prompt but I prefer using this small self contained exe.
Step 4: Connect the new drive in the enclosure to your PS3 and backup the PS3 to it
Step 5: Connect the new drive back to the computer and transfer the backup to your computer. It is going to be about the same size as the total space used in your PS3. So if you have a 250GB HDD and are using like 180GB of it, then your computer needs to have 175-180GB free (for a small amount of time).
Step 6: Swap the drive in the PS3 with the new drive that is in the external (so now the new external drive is inside the PS3 and the old PS3 drive is inside the enclosure)
Step 7: Format the external (containing the old PS3 drive) to FAT32
Step 8: Transfer the backup to the external
Step 9: Restore backup to the new PS3 drive.

I know it is longer then just backup and restore, but I am unsure how many of you guys have external drives big enough and this is only $15 more to do it this way. Also when you're done you'll have an external HDD to use for whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Wait, who's on first?

Looking at reviews for this drive and theres a few negative ones talking about failure in the hdd after a couple of months, may want to be wary on this one.

So I bit on this and it was my first time on newegg(usually use amazon). Added in a filler item and got this for $40.98 with the new customer coupon.

If you are like me and didn't have an external drive big enough to backup the PS3 HDD you currently use there is a very very easy solution.

Step 3: Format it to FAT32. This can be done via the command prompt but I prefer using this small self contained exe.
Step 4: Connect the new drive in the enclosure to your PS3 and backup the PS3 to it
Step 5: Connect the new drive back to the computer and transfer the backup to your computer. It is going to be about the same size as the total space used in your PS3. So if you have a 250GB HDD and are using like 180GB of it, then your computer needs to have 175-180GB free (for a small amount of time).
Step 6: Swap the drive in the PS3 with the new drive that is in the external (so now the new external drive is inside the PS3 and the old PS3 drive is inside the enclosure)

I know it is longer then just backup and restore, but I am unsure how many of you guys have external drives big enough and this is only $15 more to do it this way. Also when you're done you'll have an external HDD to use for whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Mad props. Just bought the HDD and that enclosure. Was gonna buy a 32GB flash drive to backup, but this method is a lot cheaper.

Do you need to re-format the 640 GB drive before finally putting it in the PS3? Or will the PS3 just automatically re-format it for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS3 does format it since it uses a proprietary file system that nothing but the PS3 can recognize. That is also why you cannot just backup the HDD to your computer. Thankfully the PS3 can only see FAT32 via USB (which any current OS on the market can see the contents of) so it is easy to transfer the backup of the PS3 from the external drive to a PC.

I admit this isn't the fastest method, but it is by far the cheapest method and in the end you end up with a nice external HDD that you can use for whatever you want.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The PS3 does format it since it uses a proprietary file system that nothing but the PS3 can recognize. That is also why you cannot just backup the HDD to your computer. Thankfully the PS3 can only see FAT32 via USB (which any current OS on the market can see the contents of) so it is easy to transfer the backup of the PS3 from the external drive to a PC.

I admit this isn't the fastest method, but it is by far the cheapest method and in the end you end up with a nice external HDD that you can use for whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks so much for the clarification. Since I was a first time NewEgg user, I used the NEWCUSTOMER10 coupon code to get $10 off the two items, so $51.98 shipped. Hopefully this is a good experience so I can broaden my horizons beyond amazon.

Cot damn, my stuff came already lol. In the process of backin' up my PS3 :bouncy:.

Good thing it's only 40GB I'm backin' up or this process would take forever. Will post once more when everything is done.

[quote name='NovaKane']Cot damn, my stuff came already lol. In the process of backin' up my PS3 :bouncy:.

Good thing it's only 40GB I'm backin' up or this process would take forever. Will post once more when everything is done.[/QUOTE]

That was fast! What kind of shipping did you get!?

[quote name='aots16']Looking at reviews for this drive and theres a few negative ones talking about failure in the hdd after a couple of months, may want to be wary on this one.[/QUOTE]

Show me a harddrive where this isn't true. Hard drives are always going to fail, and there will always be a few negative reviews popping up about their early failures. This is a good drive and it is made by Samsung. If you are in need of a lot of storage for your PS3, this is a good purchase.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Show me a harddrive where this isn't true. Hard drives are always going to fail, and there will always be a few negative reviews popping up about their early failures. This is a good drive and it is made by Samsung. If you are in need of a lot of storage for your PS3, this is a good purchase.[/QUOTE]

This. Go to Newegg or Amazon and look up the model number. If there are hundreds of reviews with 4-4.5 stars you should be fine. Don't dwell on the negatives. You're dealing with moving parts and there's always a chance of error. Every hard drive purchase is a bit of a gamble. The only thing you need to do is make sure that is has a warranty and isn't some weird refurb or return. If it doesn't die in the first year it'll probably last you until you've filled it and much bigger ones are cheap.

IS it bad that I'm looking at this to upgrade my laptop, and not my PS3? (Ps3 already has a 500 GB HDD). XD

Very worthwhile upgrade, especially if you own a lot of games with installs (which, well, this is CAG, you probaly own a lot of games....and a lot of them probably have installs!). Plus if you are a DLC nut (I've 30GB of Rock Band songs alone on my HDD, not to mention GTA, LA Noire, and myriad other DLC for games)

Also, those that are wary, I'm pretty sure Newegg is well-known for their pretty kick-ass customer service. If you get a bum drive, you shouldn't worry.

Took an hour and a half to back up my old 60 gig drive to an external drive. Installation of this new drive was a piece of cake. Now it's taking another hour and a half to restore the data on to the new drive.

Very easy - just lots of waiting :)

[quote name='kikujirobill']That was fast! What kind of shipping did you get!?[/QUOTE]

Free 3 day UPS shippin'.

[quote name='Dysheekie']Got mine too - but it shipped from NJ and I'm in VT so it didn't have too far to go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm in NYC. No wonder.

I had to put the upgrade on hold (one and a half steps left). Just ordered a new caddy w/ screws off ebay. Sucks, but I don't mind waitin' a few extra days.

The first four screws were hell to get out, but the last one really pissed me off. I ended up twistin' the caddy out of frustration and the screw still didn't budge. WTF. I've dealt with plenty off tight screws in my lifetime, but those were just ridiculous.

I got mine today too. It took me an hour and a half to get those screws out. All of them stripped and I had to use a needle nose pliers to get them off. What a nightmare...

I bought it total $45 after tax with free ship using the $10 off coupon and received it the next day. Got those 5 screws out pretty easy. All you need is the right screw driver. Put it in and click restore pretty easy. Now I have around 600GB in my PS3 to get all those demo and PSN games I want.

$45 for 620GB PS3 Hard Drvie that is GREAT DEAL ! THANK YOU !!

I followed the instructions in the other thread and didn't have too much of a problem. Push in hard till you feel like a click or something, it's hard to describe, then slowly start turning to get it going.

[quote name='rogus']I got mine today too. It took me an hour and a half to get those screws out. All of them stripped and I had to use a needle nose pliers to get them off. What a nightmare...[/QUOTE]

I've the same problem. I've two screws stuck on the bottome left & right where thee hdd connectors are. Any tips with using the needle nose pliers, the screw just won't budge. Thanks.

Just finished mine and one of the screws was stripped. I used the needle nose pliers against the face of the caddy using a little pressure while turning slowly. Once I was able to get it to turn that quarter turn it was easy after. Took me about 10 minutes to get that bitch off.

HDD arrived today! Starting the formatting... but...

I am totally in uncharted waters here... I figured out how to make a fat32 partition on the new HDD, but I do have a question: if I'm backing up more than 32GB's worth of data from the PS3, do I need to create multiple partitions on the new HDD on the computer?

Use something to score a notch in the head (mini-hacksaw, dremel, etc.) of the bolt and you'll be able to get it out with a flat head screwdriver.

I used the edge of a triangular file.

[quote name='kikujirobill']HDD arrived today! Starting the formatting... but...

I am totally in uncharted waters here... I figured out how to make a fat32 partition on the new HDD, but I do have a question: if I'm backing up more than 32GB's worth of data from the PS3, do I need to create multiple partitions on the new HDD on the computer?[/QUOTE]

Here is an idea that might work. Format the partition to the size you want it using NTFS and then use the app I posted a link for. Use it to format the new NTFS partition to FAT32. I know you can choose to format the entire drive not just the partition to FAT32, but I assume you are trying to avoid that.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Here is an idea that might work. Format the partition to the size you want it using NTFS and then use the app I posted a link for. Use it to format the new NTFS partition to FAT32. I know you can choose to format the entire drive not just the partition to FAT32, but I assume you are trying to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

Or just use a partition program to make an FAT32 whatever size you'd like. EASEUS Partition Master worked well for me, and took about a couple minutes to resize the NTFS partition on my external hdd and turn the excess space into an FAT32 partition of 100gB... and to be honest, that couple minutes was mostly spent figuring out which buttons to click on as I'd never used the particular program before.

Instead of downloading and installing more apps which I personally hate doing my option is pretty much the same thing as yours.

Use Windows to make a NTFS partition X size then use the 72KB file I linked to convert it to FAT32. I personally prefer it because it's a much cleaner way of doing it.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Here is an idea that might work. Format the partition to the size you want it using NTFS and then use the app I posted a link for. Use it to format the new NTFS partition to FAT32. I know you can choose to format the entire drive not just the partition to FAT32, but I assume you are trying to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

My confusion was that I thought fat32 could only create a single partition that was 32GB. I guess you can format an entire drive, creating one partition in fat32 that's the entire space of the hard drive?

Anyway, finally done with everything, and it couldn't have been easier. Thank you so much OP, and thank you Saix_XIII for the initial heads up on how to change HD's without buying an extra, expensive flash drive.

640GB HD in my PS3 and an external 60GB HD? All for $50? Not a bad week!

[quote name='kikujirobill']My confusion was that I thought fat32 could only create a single partition that was 32GB. I guess you can format an entire drive, creating one partition in fat32 that's the entire space of the hard drive?

Anyway, finally done with everything, and it couldn't have been easier. Thank you so much OP, and thank you Saix_XIII for the initial heads up on how to change HD's without buying an extra, expensive flash drive.

640GB HD in my PS3 and an external 60GB HD? All for $50? Not a bad week![/QUOTE]

No problem at all. When I first upgraded my 80GB to a 250GB I did not want to get an expensive external drive either so I tested the method I posted and it worked much to my delight. The info may have existed online at the time but I never found it.

To answer your question you can make an entire HDD that is up to 2TB (might work on larger drives, but I know for a fact 2TB work).

I took mine apart and these screws are pretty damn tight all 4 of them. Does anyone have a recommended phillips size for disassembling the HDD? I don't want to strip off the screws

Also was wondering what is the maximum HDD size you can place inside a PS3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one, just about finished reinstalling all my games and PSN downloads and DLC. System Settings says I'm now using about 180GB. And I'm not even 100% done...

[quote name='CaoPi']I took mine apart and these screws are pretty damn tight all 4 of them. Does anyone have a recommended phillips size for disassembling the HDD? I don't want to strip off the screws

Also was wondering what is the maximum HDD size you can place inside a PS3?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what size but I was able to use what I had laying around. didn't have any stripping issues at all. and the screwdriver usually works for anything I need to take apart (computers and stuff), so something kind of small but not too small? this probably doesn't help much :D sorry.

and the max right now is probably 1TB, as long as the height is 9.5mm and the drive is 2.5". my 750GB drive has no issues.

twztid13: any 2.5" SATA drive will work including SATA II.

bread's done
Back