75% off F.E.A.R. 2 w/ Reborn Expansion $5 or 400 MSP Games for Windows Marketplace

pROvIs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Games for Windows Marketplace is offering F.E.A.R. 2 w/ Reborn Expansion for 75% off bringing it to $5 or 400 MSP.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/community/Pages/dealoftheweek.aspx

Metacritic score of 79
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fear-2-project-origin

Apparently this is a SteamWorks game so I'm assuming the key will activate on Steam but GFW makes no mention of it other than it has DRM. If anyone can confirm that would be great.

UPDATE:
For those of you hoping for steam integration tread lightly. It appears retail copies of this game used steamworks but certain digital sources just used securom including direct2drive. I can't confirm yet what GFW uses. If anyone picks this up please make a post. I would guess this version uses securom and not steam as it mentions an install limit.

UPDATE 2:
Just received confirmation from Marker that this does not activate on Steam. Thanks Marker.

[quote name='Marker']Just tried using the activation code on Steam. Doesn't appear to be valid.

Steam would've been nicer, but this still seems like a great deal.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE 3:
It looks like this also includes the reborn expansion. Thanks to USB Cable for the update/confirmation.
[quote name='USB Cable']Here's a screen cap: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7342/fear2cap.jpg

You can see at the top that both are there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank pROvIs. I was looking at the deal for Canadians and wondering why Microsoft does not have an American deal. Thanks for giving the correct link.

Bummer that the game can't be purchased through the web interface and downloaded later. I'll grab it when I get home from work.

FYI just edited the op

UPDATE:
For those of you hoping for steam integration tread lightly. It appears retail copies of this game used steamworks but certain digital sources just used securom including direct2drive. I can't confirm yet what GFW uses. If anyone picks this up please make a post. I would guess this version uses securom and not steam as it mentions an install limit.

Just tried using the activation code on Steam. Doesn't appear to be valid.

Steam would've been nicer, but this still seems like a great deal.

[quote name='Marker']Just tried using the activation code on Steam. Doesn't appear to be valid.

Thanks for confirmation, OP has been updated.

Since FEAR 2 is ripe for a deep discount through STEAM anytime soon as FEAR 3 is approaching us and there is a single player DLC that I would want too, I will just wait.
To have a combination of GFWL and Securom is one of the worst possible things you would want to wish on your PC.

Deal breaker, I can wait for a super cheap box copy or steam deal then :/

Man that's a bummer that the key doesn't activate on Steam. I hope it gets put on sale there in the near future. $5 is a great price.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Yup, MS would have sold more copies if this could be activated on Steam. GFWL is the worst thing ever. Their loss.[/QUOTE]

I've been out of PC gaming for over half a decade and I'm just getting back in recently due to some crazy deals. You know, free Portal, $10 LFD1+2, etc... So why is GFWL so hated? Isn't it like Xbox Live? Of the 4-5 games I currently have, they are all on Steam. I only have that freebie game for GFWL, but would like to know why GFWL is so bad. To me, it looks idential to Xbox Live.

^ lol I thnk that's the problem, it's kind of laggy, and feels like console UI rather than snappy made for PC UI. I don't mind it, but I guess it is another additional crap installed on the computer. Personally I like getting achievements tied to my xbox GT but either case it doesn't matter.

oh I thought of another grip, updating on GFWL is kind of a pain in the ass, it's slow, requires a lot of of restarting of games, and their client downloader is terrible especially compared to steam. But other than that I don't mind having it on games (just for achievement purposes). If it was just there, for friend connectivity then I wouldn't want it there at all.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']I've been out of PC gaming for over half a decade and I'm just getting back in recently due to some crazy deals. You know, free Portal, $10 LFD1+2, etc... So why is GFWL so hated? Isn't it like Xbox Live? Of the 4-5 games I currently have, they are all on Steam. I only have that freebie game for GFWL, but would like to know why GFWL is so bad. To me, it looks idential to Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

Because hating on anything MS related is the "cool" thing to do.

Well, even if they are just Games for Windows titles or even not GFW titles (Borderlands), and NOT LIVE titles with achievements, currently you still need the GFWL app installed and running to purchase and download etc.

And as noted, the downloading tends to be on the slow side, and sometimes has problems, needs to be restarted etc. Definitely not up to Steam's click the install button and it'll be ready to run with all updates, additional content when you come back to it later. Also I don't think it updates non LIVE titles at all, but I could be mistaken on that.

Its not horrible, but its not a smooth experience either. Definitely can't compete with Steam or even Stardock/Impulse as far ease of use goes.

I see. So Steam is Xbox Live and GFWL is PSN, in console world. Guess I won't be getting anything on GFW unless it's GFW exclusive, if there is such a thing on PC.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']I've been out of PC gaming for over half a decade and I'm just getting back in recently due to some crazy deals. You know, free Portal, $10 LFD1+2, etc... So why is GFWL so hated? Isn't it like Xbox Live? Of the 4-5 games I currently have, they are all on Steam. I only have that freebie game for GFWL, but would like to know why GFWL is so bad. To me, it looks idential to Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

I am a fan of xbox live and would love a good unified experience like that on PC but GFWL has some major issues. GFW (not GFWL) as a distribution platform isnt much different to direct2drive but it isn't as slick as steam and doesn't manage updates like others:

1. The client runs within each game independently and not as a shell like steam.
  2. If I want to see if anyone is online I have to go to the website or open the game.
  3. I can't join parties on GFWL despite being a gold member
  4. Updates are handled in game. (not a problem for xbox style quick updates but for large ones I have to leave the game open and cannot play in the mean time)
  5. I have just started to use the service and haven't experienced this but I have heard numerous complaints about the cloud based save games being lost/corrupted.
  6. DRM has been a bit of a problem as some games are tied to a specific LIVE tag and some limit the amount of installations.

[quote name='Spyder187']Because hating on anything MS related is the "cool" thing to do.[/QUOTE]

I wish it would be that simple. Come back to me when after another mandatory GFWL update you discover that some of your save files are no longer valid and you need to restart the whole game. Works beautifully on Fallout 3 - it's very short game anyway.

[quote name='Spyder187']Because hating on anything MS related is the "cool" thing to do.[/QUOTE]

I loved Microsoft for a long time. Was eager for an Xbox. Used my MS keyboards and mice for so long. Enjoyed Halo. Loved Windows for what it was.

THEN they stopped pushing PC games. THEN they ported games so poorly from Xbox to PC that the versions were universally loathed. THEN they sold me an Xbox with a faulty power cable that burned the power supplies out on two Xbox's, plus another faulty cable for my steering wheel. THEN they sold me a 360 that kept failing and kept being replaced by 360's that would fail. THEN they reduced Bungie to the Halo makers and Rare to the Kiddie Game makers. THEN they killed FASA and Ensemble. THEN they stopped making PC games altogether.

THEN they released a bastard of a Live-spec that actually manages to slow down gaming, cause insufferable delays any time you are trying to just load the game up to PLAY it, added yet ANOTHER program to run in the background (in addition to Steam and/or D2D Comrade) because MS wants to force players to see their crap when they load up their game.

If Games for Windows Live hadn't been such a profound disappointment, then perhaps it, not Steam, would be the premier platform for PC gaming distribution. Instead, it is Steam. Games for Windows Live was so bad for so long in performance, in offerings, in design, and in intent (because they actually tried to charge people to use it as they do currently 360) that a lot of people just won't forgive MS for it.

Because its not like their track record with PC gaming in the last five years actually gives us any reason AT ALL to forgive them all the transgressions of what they've done with GfWL in the past.

I don't see any reason why a Steamworks game should also have me running anything related to Games for Windows Live. Yet MS worked very hard to make this happen and it did for a long, long time. Then finally Steam got its own Achievements system and now slowly, but surely, GfWL is becoming rarer on PC games and Steamworks is becoming much more common.

This is why MS woke up and started pushing GfWL again. Just like with IE and with Windows, they realized abruptly they were losing and became interested in the market again.

I don't hate MS because its the cool thing to do. I hate MS for the actual decisions they've made for the last few years. GfWL is just a crystal clear example of their last five-year plan.

Thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea what had happened during the years I was out of PC gaming, thanks to Xbox Live started on the original Xbox and never ending frequent graphic card upgrades on PC. My last graphic card was the then highend GeForece 6600 GT AGP! lol I was pretty shocked to see Steam for the very first time few months ago and found it is super easy to use and like its unified structure like Xbox Live in the console world. I guess MS concentrated way too much on the console market and totally jacked the PC side.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow'] I hate MS for the actual decisions they've made for the last few years. GfWL is just a crystal clear example of their last five-year plan.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

I'd still love to see these Microsoft published games come to the PC:
Halo games - Halo 3; Halo: ODST; Halo: Reach;
Gears of War games - Gears 2; Gears 3.
Fable games - Fable 2; hopefully Fable 3 comes here soon;
Alan Wake.

[quote name='aznguyen316']cool thanks OP I'll definitely consider it.. if anything for some achievements hahah[/QUOTE]

I looked and I'm pretty sure there are no achievements for it. Also, I can double confirm that it won't activate on Steam.

I wish I'd have read this topic before buying it. I was so sure of myself that it would activate on steam. DOH!

Oh well, it's a good game, and you can't go wrong for $5. Besides, I already have securom + gfwl on my pc anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Anyone having trouble installing this on Windows 7 64bit? My install keeps failing and I've tried re-downloading it already.....

Edit: Forget it, problem solved! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I loved Microsoft for a long time. Was eager for an Xbox. Used my MS keyboards and mice for so long. Enjoyed Halo. Loved Windows for what it was.

THEN they stopped pushing PC games. THEN they ported games so poorly from Xbox to PC that the versions were universally loathed. THEN they sold me an Xbox with a faulty power cable that burned the power supplies out on two Xbox's, plus another faulty cable for my steering wheel. THEN they sold me a 360 that kept failing and kept being replaced by 360's that would fail. THEN they reduced Bungie to the Halo makers and Rare to the Kiddie Game makers. THEN they killed FASA and Ensemble. THEN they stopped making PC games altogether.

THEN they released a bastard of a Live-spec that actually manages to slow down gaming, cause insufferable delays any time you are trying to just load the game up to PLAY it, added yet ANOTHER program to run in the background (in addition to Steam and/or D2D Comrade) because MS wants to force players to see their crap when they load up their game.

If Games for Windows Live hadn't been such a profound disappointment, then perhaps it, not Steam, would be the premier platform for PC gaming distribution. Instead, it is Steam. Games for Windows Live was so bad for so long in performance, in offerings, in design, and in intent (because they actually tried to charge people to use it as they do currently 360) that a lot of people just won't forgive MS for it.

Because its not like their track record with PC gaming in the last five years actually gives us any reason AT ALL to forgive them all the transgressions of what they've done with GfWL in the past.

I don't see any reason why a Steamworks game should also have me running anything related to Games for Windows Live. Yet MS worked very hard to make this happen and it did for a long, long time. Then finally Steam got its own Achievements system and now slowly, but surely, GfWL is becoming rarer on PC games and Steamworks is becoming much more common.

This is why MS woke up and started pushing GfWL again. Just like with IE and with Windows, they realized abruptly they were losing and became interested in the market again.

I don't hate MS because its the cool thing to do. I hate MS for the actual decisions they've made for the last few years. GfWL is just a crystal clear example of their last five-year plan.[/QUOTE]

GFWL came a good many years after Steam, and Steam had its own performance problems sorted out long before GFWL was ever released.

What you're actually telling me is you're a very angry person who can't recognize quality because your emotions have gotten in the way.

Oh and GFWL achievements >>>>>>> Steam achievements.

[quote name='MysterD']Is G4WL going to sell Reborn DLC?[/QUOTE]
When I started a new game it gave me the option for F.E.A.R 2 or Reborn, so it's already included in this version. I didn't actually start on Reborn and can't now or my save will be gone but I doubt they would just put it there.

[quote name='Jigen']GFWL came a good many years after Steam, and Steam had its own performance problems sorted out long before GFWL was ever released.

What you're actually telling me is you're a very angry person who can't recognize quality because your emotions have gotten in the way.

Oh and GFWL achievements >>>>>>> Steam achievements.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but quality? Quality is the /last/ word that I would associate with the trainwreck that is GFWL. I'll back up HisDivineShadow here, and add some other points that make GFWL an utterly atrocious service:

-- Saves and online/offline accounts. As far as I know, you can't use online saves on offline profiles, and vice versa. Makes backing up saves a pain in the ass. There are plenty of people out there who have lost non-transferable saves due to GFWL's shitty profile system.

-- Patching. GFWL makes it a painful process that quits (or minimizes. or crashes. usually crashes) the game, patches, then re-launches.

-- Terrible interface that doesn't even have messaging. Talking to your friend is essentially sending tiny (255 character max) emails.

-- The client doesn't do anything useful in terms of community.

-- Buying DLC is supposed to be nearly impossible. At least, it was when it first launched (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...tures-in-gfwl/) and I don't think it's improved by leaps and bounds since then.

-- Activation limits. They exist for older games, and even some of the newer games don't have server-side authentication.

-- Only certain countries have access to multiplayer. It'll support 9 more countries come November, bringing the total to an astounding 35 countries.

-- Multiplayer is almost always in form of P2P matchmaking. This means shitty anti-cheat technology (GTA IV, so I've heard) or a dead community (pretty much every single GFWL shooter)

-- The interface. It sucks. Microsoft doesn't understand that their users are playing PC games. Though I admit most of the GFWL games I play are better suited to a 360 controller, there's no excuse for shoehorning a console interface into a PC. While it makes sense to keep the aesthetic uniform, it's a nightmare to navigate.

-- Certification. Developers have to certify every patch, so incremental updates are almost never seen. Hotfixes don't exist in GFWLand.

-- Much, much more!

GFWL is most certainly not quality.

Hell, I bought it. I would prefer it on Steam but they haven't had a sale on the thing yet. Now watch, they'll have it for $2 during the Christmas sale and I'll be pissed. :)

[quote name='Jigen']Oh and GFWL achievements >>>>>>> Steam achievements.[/QUOTE]

I failed to see your point. Aren't both useless in a sense that you can't do anything with them, just like 360 and PS3's trophies? Sure, it's fun to get them but they have no value in any real world use.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Sorry, but quality? Quality is the /last/ word that I would associate with the trainwreck that is GFWL. I'll back up HisDivineShadow here, and add some other points that make GFWL an utterly atrocious service:

-- Saves and online/offline accounts. As far as I know, you can't use online saves on offline profiles, and vice versa. Makes backing up saves a pain in the ass. There are plenty of people out there who have lost non-transferable saves due to GFWL's shitty profile system.

-- Patching. GFWL makes it a painful process that quits (or minimizes. or crashes. usually crashes) the game, patches, then re-launches.

-- Terrible interface that doesn't even have messaging. Talking to your friend is essentially sending tiny (255 character max) emails.

-- The client doesn't do anything useful in terms of community.

-- Buying DLC is supposed to be nearly impossible. At least, it was when it first launched (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...tures-in-gfwl/) and I don't think it's improved by leaps and bounds since then.

-- Activation limits. They exist for older games, and even some of the newer games don't have server-side authentication.

-- Only certain countries have access to multiplayer. It'll support 9 more countries come November, bringing the total to an astounding 35 countries.

-- Multiplayer is almost always in form of P2P matchmaking. This means shitty anti-cheat technology (GTA IV, so I've heard) or a dead community (pretty much every single GFWL shooter)

-- The interface. It sucks. Microsoft doesn't understand that their users are playing PC games. Though I admit most of the GFWL games I play are better suited to a 360 controller, there's no excuse for shoehorning a console interface into a PC. While it makes sense to keep the aesthetic uniform, it's a nightmare to navigate.

-- Certification. Developers have to certify every patch, so incremental updates are almost never seen. Hotfixes don't exist in GFWLand.

-- Much, much more!

GFWL is most certainly not quality.[/QUOTE]

I may not be using Steam or GFWL long, only couple months, but there is only 1 advantage I notice on GFWL; it's potentially getting games close to nothing since it accepts MS points. There are many points deals around and if you get some points on the cheap and wait for a sale like this one, you could be getting this game for like a dollar.

Dangit! I got it at Target (PC) months ago for $12.48... I'm sure I'm long past the period that I can return it, but I'll check it. Thanks for the heads up.

There also issues of saved games not working, not to mention most games dont use push to talk :(, its very steep battle for ms get back the core of the pc gamers, lack luster GUI compare to it xbox's counter part(the current version is better then the old one which was cut and paste of the old 360 blade guide), also Peer 2 peer games FOR the most PART there are dedicated servers for a few games (shadowrun,halo2) however shadowrun gimped mouse users, and halo 2's master list goes ten .

then there's alan wake the "killer app" for the DX10 API which never came to be.

Bought this after i heard it comes with the Reborn DLC. For anyone who enjoys fear who would pass this up? fucking awesome deal.

Love all the haters in here who have probably never used GFWL. Sure its nowhere near comparable to steam but its perfectly useable and does what it needs to do.

Its exactly like direct2drive, impulse and others.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']

[/QUOTE]

You couldnt be more wrong. You can send voice messages and private chat(VOICE) with other people on GFWL as well as GFWL to 360 private chat/voice mesages since the beginning of the service. Huge improvements could be made to the service to make it more like steam but you shouldnt spread lies. :)

They really need to implement party chat PC side. Ive yet to have patching or save issues like others, Im going to assume those that do are on Vista and not win7. As i had some issues with GFWL on Vista but smooth as butter on win7

[quote name='Metalic']Bought this after i heard it comes with the Reborn DLC. For anyone who enjoys fear who would pass this up? fucking awesome deal.

Love all the haters in here who have probably never used GFWL. Sure its nowhere near comparable to steam but its perfectly useable and does what it needs to do.

Its exactly like direct2drive, impulse and others.

You couldnt be more wrong. You can send voice messages and private chat(VOICE) with other people on GFWL as well as GFWL to 360 private chat/voice mesages since the beginning of the service. Huge improvements could be made to the service to make it more like steam but you shouldnt spread lies. :)

They really need to implement party chat PC side. Ive yet to have patching or save issues like others, Im going to assume those that do are on Vista and not win7. As i had some issues with GFWL on Vista but smooth as butter on win7[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant it has no instant messaging. But that doesn't stop it from sucking, because sending messages back and forth is a joke. And the save profiles aren't a Vista issue -- they're a GFWL issue because saves (as far as I know) are encrypted to only work with a certain gamertag. And you can't use offline saves with online profiles. I'm also pretty damn sure patching also isn't a Vista-only issue from my time down at the Steam Red Faction Guerrilla forums.

bread's done
Back