80gb Metal Gear Solid Bundle up for pre-order on circuitcity.com

Already loaded half of my tax rebate onto my credit card payment when it arrived so I would be ready to go when Amazon puts it up for pre-order.

Can't wait!!!

[quote name='dfo']Wait, this isn't like limited edition or something, is it? Looks like a normal old PS3 80 and the standard version of the game to me in the pictures. Do you mean it will be tough to get one on launch day? Otherwise, as people suggested above, it was my impression they'll keep selling this bundle for a while.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Venkman']Konami has a gun metal grey 40 GB PS3 with the special edition copy of MGS4 for $600 that is in very limited quantities, and only from konami.com

The MGS4 (normal edition) plus 80GB PS3 (plain old black) is not a limited edition bundle. I think it is Sony's attempt to spur PS3 sales (and I think it's going to work!). You are right, though, I think this is going to mean better PS3 sales for Sony for as long as they sell the bundle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hope they keep selling this for a long time (and I hope once they quit, it's only to replace it with another model or bundle with backwards compatibility).

I just know the number of people who have been avoiding the PS3 until it gets backwards compatibility, combined with the probable popularity of MGS4, and I'm figuring this is going to be tough to get. Hopefully it's not going to be like they have 4 per store and then don't release more for months or something... Hopefully the lack of the 80GB model is because they've been stockpiling them or something as they come off the lines.

I hope too that the new 80GB uses the 65nm CPU that the 40GB uses. I'm assuming it does, as it would be weird to go back to an old CPU (that's probably no longer in production), but still...

I'm definitely buying this.

I'm now researching what the best possible deal would be. I'm hearing some things about *bad* credit if we sign up for the Sony Card. That bothers me.

I'd rather pick it up in store, instead of having to pre-order it online and wait for it to arrive in the mail. I like having my expensive products in hand rather than waiting for it to arrive in a truck lol.

I was planning on getting it from whatever store will have it (I imagine this is going to be a "hot" item- therefore may be hard to find on launch).

Do you guys usually get the warranty? I've never had a problem with any of my stuff new (Mostly all my stuff is in mint condition) but I'm not sure whether to get it.

[quote name='RenoTurk11']I'm definitely buying this.

I'm now researching what the best possible deal would be. I'm hearing some things about *bad* credit if we sign up for the Sony Card. That bothers me.

I'd rather pick it up in store, instead of having to pre-order it online and wait for it to arrive in the mail. I like having my expensive products in hand rather than waiting for it to arrive in a truck lol.

I was planning on getting it from whatever store will have it (I imagine this is going to be a "hot" item- therefore may be hard to find on launch).

Do you guys usually get the warranty? I've never had a problem with any of my stuff new (Mostly all my stuff is in mint condition) but I'm not sure whether to get it.[/quote]

I am in the same boat, trying to figure out a good deal. So far I have $200 cash and $65 Gamestop giftcard to go towards one, but I need to find a good deal to try and close the difference gap.

[quote name='micro44']Already loaded half of my tax rebate onto my credit card payment when it arrived so I would be ready to go when Amazon puts it up for pre-order.

Can't wait!!![/quote]

Heh, spoken like a true American, ready to dive right back into debt.

What sucks for me is that I am wanting a PS3 badly, but mostly for Blu-Ray movie playback. But I also want a Dual-Shock 3 instead of that old controller. I may be forced to buy this bundle because the DS3 won't be bundled with any other systems until they run out of crap-axis controllers. I don't really care about BC because my PS2 is fine for that and I would rather have the 40gb model with the better chipset. How long do you guys think it will take for them to clear out of SIXAXIS bundles?

[quote name='joeyatog']What sucks for me is that I am wanting a PS3 badly, but mostly for Blu-Ray movie playback. But I also want a Dual-Shock 3 instead of that old controller. I may be forced to buy this bundle because the DS3 won't be bundled with any other systems until they run out of crap-axis controllers. I don't really care about BC because my PS2 is fine for that and I would rather have the 40gb model with the better chipset. How long do you guys think it will take for them to clear out of SIXAXIS bundles?[/quote]

I also am wanting the better chipset and don't care about BC. I'm hoping that these are newly made 80gb models with the new chipset. If I find out otherwise, I may cancel my pre-order and just buy a 40gb with the 65nm chipset.

Does anyone know if this 80GB model will have the 65nm CPU like the 40GB model, which uses less power and runs cooler?

I really want a lower electricity bill, because I will be running the thing all the time.

Cool bundle, but it would've been better if the 80GB was the Gun Metal color as well.

I'm assuming this will be the standard bundle for awhile since it's black though.

Do the previous non-40GB PS3s really run that hot? I like the idea of using less energy and the system running cooler, but I need a system with BC.

[quote name='graf1k']Do the previous non-40GB PS3s really run that hot? I like the idea of using less energy and the system running cooler, but I need a system with BC.[/quote]

Actually i believe the 65nm chips run at about 30% less power, which is significant over time. They also run cooler, so the fan comes on less and less noise. Any geek worth his salt should appreciate these advantages!

[quote name='thadwhit']Actually i believe the 65nm chips run at about 30% less power, which is significant over time. They also run cooler, so the fan comes on less and less noise. Any geek worth his salt should appreciate these advantages![/quote]

I do, but I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice BC for it.

[quote name='ohhyeahkinkos']BC is incredibly overrated and not put into as much use as you'd think it would be.[/quote]

Depends who you're talking to. The last 3 games that have been played on my PS3 have been GT5 Prologue, SMT Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga...and I think a lot of people who have been twiddling their thumbs waiting for something like Metal Gear have probably been doing the same.

Me and my friends were smart enough to play DDS and Nocturne when they came out. I have beaten almost every PS2 game I have ever wanted to beat at least more than 2-3 times. Trust me other than the potentially decent Persona 4 and Yakuza 2, there is nothing left for me to play on PS2. If there really is I would rather play it on my original PS2 since upscaling does not look so good on my HDTV. Dunno if I am doing something wrong.

[quote name='SirMikael']Not to be an ass, but Gamestop will tell people anything to get their pre-order quotas in.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but they apparently can't take pre-orders on it since it isn't in their system. At least that's what they said.

GS isn't taking orders. they were "under" th assumption they would be, but no, all the stores i've been too (here in Cali) all say that they wont e selling it till June 12

Other than that, CC brick and mortar stores are not taking pre-orders as well, and if you order from their website, YOU can't have it picked up at your nearest brick and mortar location.

[quote name='ohhyeahkinkos']BC is incredibly overrated and not put into as much use as you'd think it would be.[/quote]

kinkos wtf is that picture thing of yours from? the one with the asian chick making faces its driving me nuts cause everytime i see it i have to know but i dont know where to find out. now to get back on topic has amazn said if theyre offering the 80gb bundle yet and if so can you cancel your circuit city pre order?

[quote name='ohhyeahkinkos']BC is incredibly overrated and not put into as much use as you'd think it would be.[/QUOTE]

speak for yourself, most people get a lot of use out of it.

BC is just not necessary for me. My PS2 is fine for the older games. I would much rather have a better quality machine that plays my future Blu-Ray collection. Unfortunately I may have to wait cuz I don't want to get ripped off on not getting a Dual-Shock 3 with my system. Hopefully Sony will mention something at E3 about all this.

For those worried about credit, understand that your credit will be affected if you apply for many lines of credit in a small amount of time (i.e. credit shopping). I just went through the pre-approval mortgage process and specifically asked about opening lines of credit and it's affect on credit score. She said that even at 5 per month the credit score won't go down (but it will reflect on potential debt).

You also can't use gift cards or coupons on pre-orders (I called to confirm this).

I've got a $100 GC that I got for signing up for FiOS - I'd been waiting to use it on this, but looks like I'm SOL. I'll wait for Amazon to put it up for pre-order, so at least I'll save on tax. :roll:

That sounds more reasonable than the Gunmetal Konami bundle but still doesn't make me want to go out and jump at it. Will wait for more deals. :D

[quote name='joeyatog']My PS2 is fine for the older games[/quote]

You wouldn't like to be able to put it away and save some clutter? Besides, that PS2 isn't going to live forever.

well...but the ps2 will be perfect for "backward compatibility" games to ps3-plus there's no hassle with the rare, but bizarre problem you may run into with using them on ps3

Looking forward for this to go up on other retailers websites. I heard from the Sony store that Sony might introduce a 120gb model at the end of the summer. I wonder what that will have with it. Too many SKUs

[quote name='HockeyDOg3133']Hey it says 3 is the max you can get. Does anyone know if you can buy more than that on separate orders?[/QUOTE]

I hope your not trying to make a profit.

Are you able to cancel with Fry's on the pre-order? Also, What are the expected arrivals on Fry's and CC with the 3 day delivery? I figure probably Friday or Saturday with CC, what about Fry's?

thanks

for those like me waiting on Amazon, it looks like they changed their date to June 12th, should be on pre-sale any day now.

[quote name='paz9x']so are we getting charged the full amount now or at time of shipping?
my wife is gonna kill me when she sees this bill.[/quote]

another one that's caught by the balls.

[quote name='Vegan']You wouldn't like to be able to put it away and save some clutter? Besides, that PS2 isn't going to live forever.[/quote]

I'm with you on that and PS2s definitely won't last forever. It is also nice to have upscale, all on 1 easy HDMI and surround sound system, wireless controllers, no mem cards, and not having to snap a disc on to that very hard spinner in PS2 slims (I have had discs cracked from that and now I won't even play my rare survival horror games anymore).

In other words, I'm really looking forward to this MGS4 bundle and I hope sony redeems themselves by always offering a BC console like they promised- which they probably won't, just look at Europe.

Pre-ordered mine at Frys.com! Already got the confirmation e-mail. Excited to be picking this up. I got a 20 gig, at launch, since I couldn't find a 60gig unit. To the 'bay, with that 20 gig PS3!

[quote name='solaris389']Pre-ordered mine at Frys.com! Already got the confirmation e-mail. Excited to be picking this up. I got a 20 gig, at launch, since I couldn't find a 60gig unit. To the 'bay, with that 20 gig PS3![/QUOTE]

Personally I'd keep the 20GB model if you've already got that. It's got the best backwards compatibility. All this has is a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4, which is $60 (and $100-200 for a giant hard drive if you want to upgrade that).

I see your point, but it's already ordered. I'll probably add a giant hard drive at some later date, anyway, though.

The 20 gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. At least, mine isn't. Never was. I've put any number of PS2 games in it, they never ran. I used it quite a bit playing PS1 games, though.

[quote name='solaris389']I see your point, but it's already ordered. I'll probably add a giant hard drive at some later date, anyway, though.

The 20 gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. At least, mine isn't. Never was. I've put any number of PS2 games in it, they never ran. I used it quite a bit playing PS1 games, though.[/QUOTE]

I thought the 20 gig had the PS2 chipset built into it?

[quote name='urge26']for those like me waiting on Amazon, it looks like they changed their date to June 12th, should be on pre-sale any day now.[/quote]

I'd be totally over this bundle if I didn't have a PS3 yet, but I bought the 80gb in January. Can't complain though considering the 80gb became so hard to find for a long time, the price is the same, and I got 5 free blu ray movies.

I'll be interested to see how this MGS4 80gb bundle does on Amazon sales charts. The 80gb Motorstorm bundle was always a better seller than the 40gb system.

Yes, the 20gig is supposed to have the PS2 chipset.

I have no idea why mine doesn't play PS2 games. Just really didn't sweat it, since I have a nice PS2, anyway.

Yes, mine has the latest firmware. I tried about 20 PS2 games in it, before I gave up on it. I just got a blackscreen, when I tried it.

[quote name='solaris389']The 20 gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. At least, mine isn't. Never was. I've put any number of PS2 games in it, they never ran. I used it quite a bit playing PS1 games, though.[/quote]

Seems as though your PS3 is defective. You should have contacted Sony to take advantage of the 1 year warranty. But from the sound of it, you don't seem concerned about PS2 BC. Regardless, you could call Sony and see if they would still fix it you so desire...

Hope no one else said this, but Toys R Us is doing in store pre-orders for the 80GB bundle for those looking to pick one up instead of online.

[quote name='solaris389']I see your point, but it's already ordered. I'll probably add a giant hard drive at some later date, anyway, though.

The 20 gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. At least, mine isn't. Never was. I've put any number of PS2 games in it, they never ran. I used it quite a bit playing PS1 games, though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Guy Legend']Seems as though your PS3 is defective. You should have contacted Sony to take advantage of the 1 year warranty. But from the sound of it, you don't seem concerned about PS2 BC. Regardless, you could call Sony and see if they would still fix it you so desire...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would have taken that back the instant I got it and saw it didn't work, or at least sent it off to Sony. It's defective. The 20GB model has the best backwards compatibility, close to 100%. The 80GB is the best available now, but given the choice the 20GB is the one I'd get.

bread's done
Back