80gb? [Pls Use "PS3 101" Thread Above]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneColdLiger

CAGiversary!
I was thinking about finally picking up a PS3.
But I looked on several websites and can't find a 80GB version, did they stop making them?
Because if I get a PS3, I'd like to be able to play my PS2 games.

Yes, Sony has discontinued the 80GB system. It shouldn't be too hard to find one out in the wild still; check your local Best Buys, Targets, Wal-Marts, ect.

Although I may hold off on picking up the 80 gig system; the current rumor is that Sony is planning on releasing a new 120 or 160 gig system in the near future. Whether or not it includes backwards compatibility is unknown, but I would be willing to bet it will still be in there.

Ok thanks.
I really don't care about HD size, since its easy to install a new one.
I mainly just want BC. :)
And I heard that that 60GB had it, but it wasn't for all games and you had to install something on the HD or something like that for each game you play.

I guess I'll look around for some 80GBs and if I can't find one, just wait until Sony releases another console with BC. :)

[quote name='Short Round'] Whether or not it includes backwards compatibility is unknown, but I would be willing to bet it will still be in there.[/quote]

I would take that bet. I think it's unlikely that the next PS3 will have any form of backwards compatibility.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']Ok thanks.
I really don't care about HD size, since its easy to install a new one.
I mainly just want BC. :)
And I heard that that 60GB had it, but it wasn't for all games and you had to install something on the HD or something like that for each game you play.

I guess I'll look around for some 80GBs and if I can't find one, just wait until Sony releases another console with BC. :)[/quote]

Actually you have it backwards. The 60 has full backwards compatibility (thru hardware). The 80 has partial backwards compatibility, like around 70-80% (thru hardware/software). If you want guaranteed BC then the 60 is the way to go.

The 80gb is disappearing rapidly. Already that model is starting to rise on my local Craigslist, and I haven't seen it available at a retail store in about a month. The last place I remember seeing it available at the regular price was on the toys r us website.

Obligatory obnoxious post warning:

Is there a way to stop people from asking these generic PS3 questions? Can't people do a quick search in the main forums?

[quote name='Short Round']Yes, Sony has discontinued the 80GB system. It shouldn't be too hard to find one out in the wild still; check your local Best Buys, Targets, Wal-Marts, ect.

Although I may hold off on picking up the 80 gig system; the current rumor is that Sony is planning on releasing a new 120 or 160 gig system in the near future. Whether or not it includes backwards compatibility is unknown, but I would be willing to bet it will still be in there.[/quote]

From what I understand Sony took them back from retailers (overheard guy at best buy explaining this to customers who had a PS3 crash but wanted a new one due to a warranty.)

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Actually you have it backwards. The 60 has full backwards compatibility (thru hardware). The 80 has partial backwards compatibility, like around 70-80% (thru hardware/software). If you want guaranteed BC then the 60 is the way to go.[/quote]Really? I asked 2 or 3 people about it, and they all said the 80GB was the one that had Full BC. :)
Are they still making 60GBs? I doubt it, seems like Sony don't want PS3 owners to be playing PS2 games. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back