87 TRU Stores closing - currently 10% off consoles 20% off games 40% off accessories

wannabepunktony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
THE GIST:
87 TRU's are closing
Current sale at (will drop to bigger discounts):

10-30% off all consoles
20-50% off all games
20-50% off all guides
40-50% off all accessories

*All discount amounts YMMV. Check the list below for a possible update on where each store is at.
*All items bought cannot be returned or exchanged anywhere (the barcodes will be crossed out with a marker).
*Further discounts should happen every 1, 2 weeks. It seemed at first it would be a YMMV on when, but it seems all stores are dropping prices at the same time.
*Stores will probably close sometime around Feb. 27th, give or take a couple weeks. Really just depends on how much merch is still moving when that time comes.

Complete Toys R Us Store Closing List (87 out of 87):

AZ (1)
830 East Camelback Rd. (Phoenix)

CA (10)
735 E. Birch St. (Brea) (40%-60% - CLOSING 3/5)
775 Serramonte Blvd. (Colma) (50%-70%)
3938 Horton (Emeryville) (40%-50%)
1400 Gateway Blvd. (Fairfield) (40%-60%)
1196 W. Olive Ave. (Merced) (60%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)
1336 Hilltop Drive (Redding)
8181 Mira Mesa Blvd. (San Diego) (30%-50% - CLOSING 2/26)
2675 Geary St. (San Francisco) (30%-50%)
2751 Cherry Ave. (Signal Hill) (30%-50%)
1182 Admiral Callahan Dr. (Vallejo)

CO (3)
585 25-1/2 Rd. (Grand Junction)
5395 South Wadsworth Ave. (Littleton)
3610 Dillon Drive (Pueblo)

FL (5)
650 University Dr. (Coral Springs)
8621 Coral Way (Miami)
3860 Central Sarasota Pkwy (Sarasota)
1702 N. Dale Mabry (Tampa) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/27)
6590 20th Street (Vero Beach) (30%-50%)

GA (1)
3660 Eisenhour Pkwy (Macon)

IA (2)
1300 Kennedy Road (Dubuque)
4269 Sergeant Road (Sioux City)

IL (4)
40 W. Rand Road (Arlington Heights) (30%-50%)
1584 N. State Rt. 50 (Bourbonnais)
8900 Lafayette St. (Chicago)
16855 Torrence Ave. (Lansing) (50%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)

IN (2)
4575 W. 38th St. (Indianapolis) (30%-50%)
4100 South Franklin St. (Michigan City)

KS (1)
4646 W. Kellogg (Wichita)

KY (1)
5115 Frederica St. (Owensboro)

LA (1)
12250 I-10 @ Bullard (New Orleans)

MA (4)
200 Alewife Brook Pkwy. (Cambridge) (50%-70%)
14 Allstate Road (Dorchester)
50 Ingleside Mall (Holyoke) (30%-50%)
630 Fellsway West (Medford)

MD (3)
933 Washington Blvd. (Laurel) (30%-50%)
1238 Putty Hill Ave. (Towson) (30%-50%)
10901 Georgia Ave. (Wheaton) (30%-50%)

MI (3)
5740 Beckley Road (Battle Creek)
2353 N. Park Drive (Holland) (30%-50%)
6910 Eastman Ave. (Midland) (30%-50%)

MN (2)
925 West Central Entrance (Duluth) (50%-70% - CLOSING ON 2/26)
8236 Tamarack Village (Woodbury)

MO (2)
900 N.W. Plaza (Bridgeton) (30%-50%)
9110 Hillcrest Rd. (Kansas City)

MS (2)
2650 Beach Blvd. (Biloxi)
3850 Hwy. 80 (West Jackson)

NC (2)
6100A E. Independence Blvd. (Charlotte)
4325 Glenwood Avenue (Raleigh) (30%-50%)

NJ (1)
Troy Hills Shopping Center (Parsippany) (40%-50%)

NM (2)
2532 E. Lohman Ave. (Las Cruces)
4360 Rodeo Road (Santa Fe) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

NY (7)
2160 Jericho Turnpike (Commack) (50%-70%)
3405 Erie Blvd. Hills Plaza (De Witt)
240 W. Sunrise Hwy. (Freeport)
168-23/45 Jamaica Ave. (Jamaica)
3501 Hempstead Turnpike (Levittown) (50%-70%)
929 Williams Rd. (Niagra Falls) (30%-50%)
105 Mill Road (Staten Island)

OH (4)
2213 Roming Road (Akron) (30%-50%)
4340 West Broad St. (Columbus) (50%-70%)
11392 Princeton Rd. (Springdale)
1501 Bechtle Ave. (Springfield) (50%-70%)

OR (1)
1950 SE-14th Street (Albany) (50%-80%)

PA (2)
4000 Oxford Dr. (Bethel Park)
641 Baltimore Pk. (Springfield) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

SC (2)
1987 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (Charleston)
7201 Two Notch Road (Columbia) (20%-40%)

TN (2)
5255 Hickory Hollow Pkwy (Antioch)
2665 Perkins (Memphis)

TX (8)
3850 Ridgemont Drive (Abilene)
800 Sunrise Blvd. (Brownsville)
11210 North Freeway (Houston) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/25)
4238 Sunset Dr. (San Angelo)
2301 SW Military Road (San Antonio)
3201 N. Highway 75 (Sherman)
3323 Mall Drive. (Texarkana)
7905 N. Navarro Street (Victoria)

UT (1)
4040 Riverdale Rd. (Ogden) (30%-50% - CLOSING 4/1)

VA (3)
4019 W. Mercury Blvd. (Hampton)
2035-129 E. Market St. (Harrisonburg)
8449 Lessburg Pike (Tyson's Corner) (30%-50%)

WA (3)
150 E. Bellis Fair Parkway (Bellingham) (30%-50%)
3l5l0 20th Ave. (South Federal Way)
6104 N. Division St. (Spokane)

WI (2)
443 North Rolling Meadows Drive (Fond Du Lac)
2161 Zeier Road (Madison)

Thanks to everyone who helped with the store/sale list!

1/7 3AM EDIT: I am going to my TRU tomorrow to shop, as I bet many of the rest of you will too. Post what deals and stores you find and hopefully we can compile something worthwhile here. ^_^

1/7 1PM EDIT: Trying to compile what stores we have confirmed are closing; also adding what seems to be the current sale. Since each store is bought by local liqudators, your discounts may be different and drop slower/faster, so YMMV on the discounts, for better or for worse.

1/8 11PM EDIT: Looks like we are looking at about two weeks for the next drop, which should be to 20% - 40%. The time of the drop and the amount is up to each liqudator, so YMMV when it comes to it. But two weeks should be about right for all the stores. Store list updated, along with return policy. Forgot to ask about exchanges though, doh. >_<

1/11 2:30PM EDIT: Changed closed store total from 72 to 87, 12 of which are being turned into Babys R Us. Closing store list also updated.

1/13 3:30AM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added a note below about "fixture" sale information (which probably varies per store on how they go about selling the stuff off).

1/13 11:45PM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added news on possible console discounts.

1/16 3PM EDIT: Looks like Reality's Fringe was right on a nation-wide clearance increase, so thanks to him for the head's up!

1/16 11PM EDIT: Complete closing store list added!

2/9 7:30PM EDIT: Updated %s

I walked into work today for my paycheck and to price adjust some games, and one of the managers took me aside, gave me some paperwork and told me our TRU (Bellingham, WA) along with 72 others are being closed, effective tomorrow. Well, at least my store tomorrow, but I assume everyone else is in the same boat. The earliest they will actually close their doors is Feburary 27th, so there will be plenty of time to take advantage of the sale.

According to the manager, everything will be clearanced for the closing sale starting tomorrow, and only a few things will not be part of that, being video game hardware. I asked about games and she said she didn't know. I don't know exactly what the clearance is going to start at, but I would say 30% (what the GT sale usually starts at) would be a good guess.

If you bought anything from a closing TRU before today and you want to return, exchange, price adjust, whatever, you can still do so. But: everything bought from here on out CANNOT be returned. If they are like my store, they take a big black marker and cross out the UPC. They do this so you cannot return it to another TRU. I didn't get the whole speech, so exchanges may be okay, but no more returns, no more price adjustments.

Also: all TRU coupons, sales, price drops, whatever are no longer valid at the closing stores, since they are not really TRUs anymore.

If not already, you should be seeing soon some sort of poster, fill-out form, whatever in your TRU about selling the fixtures, etc. This includes video game display posters, standees, the playable game set-ups, etc. At my store, it was a cardboard kisok thing with a form you filled out with your contact info and what you want, and they'll contact you with a price. Don't know what things will go for, but you may or may not be able to score some cool stuff.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']Did the stores that are going to close have some post-it like forms stuck onto the shelves? Does that have anything to do with..., well, anything? Because I notice couple Toys "R" Us that I went to these couple days have them... :whistle2:| Dang, I do not want to drive 30 minutes for a Toys "R" Us... :whistle2:( :nottalking: :headache:[/QUOTE]

Nope, those are inventory-related tags. My store just went through that.

I know one Pittsburgh store is being converted to a Babies R Us.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']The Raleigh, NC TRU is closing. One of the guys I knew when I was there, who's now a manager, informed me when I stopped by to make sure my W2 gets mailed to the correct address.[/QUOTE]

Will add to the list - thanks!

It's hard for TRU to compete with all the other competition these days.

It doesn't help that one of my local TRUs, charges $5 extra on all video games... that store would charge $54.99 whereas BB, CC, etc would charge $49.99... same with a lot of the GBA/DS games.

wow...this sucks. sorry to hear that your store is closing
I live in NY so I am sure I will be hurt by these closings.

The clearance sale will start this Sunday, tomorrow?

[quote name='wannabepunktony']

NY:
Commack and Levittown

[/QUOTE]

Shit! the commack one sucks... the levittown one is dirty... but the one near my house sucks too! why wont that one close?

[quote name='Stoneage']For Chicagoans:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0601070108jan07,1,6691250.story?coll=chi-business-hed
They said 20 TRU will remain in Chicago, so we seem to be the lucky ones. Also, "The Chicago-area stores due to close are at 8900 S. Lafayette St. in Chicago and in Arlington Heights, Lansing, Bourbonnais and Michigan City, Ind. Liquidation sales begin Saturday."[/QUOTE]

Bah! Arlington Heights is like 5 minutes from where I work - it was nice because I could make it there and shop for a bit, grab Wendy's in the parking lot and be back to work in under 30 minutes. Guess I'll be heading there to check out the clearance in a few hours.

To mirror everyone else's sympathies, I feel bad for all of you who are losing your jobs.

[quote name='alive741']Any idea on what the sale actually is yet?[/QUOTE]

Most likely today, unless the papers/magazines are getting a bad press release.

[quote name='electrictroy']Grand Rapids Michigan

Any news about Closing stores here?[/QUOTE]

God I hope so... that one out by Woodland mall has been pretty worthless for everything, but a clearance might just give the place a useful last hurrah.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Damn, the one in Holyoke, MA is being converted. Thats the only one around me I actually go to.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Im gonna go check it out soon.

[quote name='bmarquardt']Most likely today, unless the papers/magazines are getting a bad press release.[/QUOTE]

I meant like the discount--10%? 20%?

75%? =D (yeah right)

-Adam

Just called toys r us near me that is closing
the clearance sale starts today
the woman told me that the video games are 10% off right now
nothing special, but I am sure the percentage will go up in the coming weeks.

[quote name='fieldkillah']To be honest the only 2 I know of around here are the springfield and Holyoke ones. I agree the springfield one does suck, and the main reason I go to the Holyoke one is because it is like 5 mins away from school (HCC).[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure those are the only 2 even remotely close, unless you want to go to Manchester, CT or west hartford.... everything else is a KB toyworks.

[quote name='serum79']Just called toys r us near me that is closing
the clearance sale starts today
the woman told me that the video games are 10% off right now
nothing special, but I am sure the percentage will go up in the coming weeks.[/QUOTE]

Hello fellow LI'er.... which one did you call?

[quote name='help1']Hello fellow LI'er.... which one did you call?[/QUOTE]

Hello help1
I called Levittown
Nasty looking store, but sad to see it go as it was the closest one to me and I worked there for five years from late '97 to mid '03

Yeah...Commack is where I'm from, so that's kind of sad...not really...I can always go to the other 3 that are within 10 miles. Too bad I'm going back to school tomorrow...I'll miss out on the sales unless the TRU by me out there closes as well...

[quote name='screwkick']Damn Walmart. Soon they will control the earth.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I think ToysRUs' real downfall was due to the fact that corporate had no idea how to run the company properly. Before the corporation was sold the decisions that were made for TRU were horrendous. You should have seen some of the retarded things that employees had to deal with. Also the management at the store level was really really bad for the most part. This comes from personal experience.

But Walmart definitely is a business killer

Geeze... I was just at my local TRU and they it looked like they wehere totaly flushed with lack of games... how do i know if mine is closing ?

Son of a.... yeah I wont finish that sentence it could only go downhill... I ALWAYS go to that Commack, NY store, damn... I guess the Huntington one isnt too much further, just a different direction, maybe Commack will have some good deals to jump on...

I am really suprised that the one in Raleigh is going to close considering it is in such a sweet spot near a high traffic mall.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I need to find out about the Philly TRUs[/QUOTE]

If Philly or KoP go, asses will get kicked XD

[quote name='sonderiaom']Sonuva, that's a part of my childhood. Ah well, I'll be up there on sunday anyway, Probably get some stuff that hasn't already been cleaned out.[/QUOTE]

LOL - I remember when Toys R Us opened in our town, it killed Children's Palace, which was the toy store of my childhood. It was the big mega-corporation killing off the smaller toy stores. The giants keep getting bigger in retail.

[quote name='screwkick']Damn Walmart. Soon they will control the earth.[/QUOTE]

(troy fills out wal-mart application) Better to join now, and become part of the "team", than later when Wal-mart starts ethnic cleansing.

I know that the Bridgeton, MO store is closing, though it wouldn't surprise me that the Florissant store is closing as well. Both were a bit of a mess every time I went in there, and it makes sense they get closed compared to the other stores.

Problem is that the Bridgeton store is the one closest to my apartment. Feh.

Never really went to TRU except when they were having game sales. I grew up a Childrens Palace kid and then just switched to being a Walmart kid when they went belly up. Wonder if the Florence KY store will close...

[quote name='eshbums']LOL - I remember when Toys R Us opened in our town, it killed Children's Palace, which was the toy store of my childhood. It was the big mega-corporation killing off the smaller toy stores. The giants keep getting bigger in retail.[/QUOTE]

I remember the exact same thing happening in my area. Toys R Us came in and crushed Children's Palace.

Luckily my store just opened a year ago, so I can't imagine them shutting it down or putting a Babies R Us in the middle of Circuit City, Micro Center, and Bed Bath and Beyond.

The Mentor one, who knows. I only go there if the Mayfield TRU disappoints me.

[quote name='Stoneage']For Chicagoans:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0601070108jan07,1,6691250.story?coll=chi-business-hed
They said 20 TRU will remain in Chicago, so we seem to be the lucky ones. Also, "The Chicago-area stores due to close are at 8900 S. Lafayette St. in Chicago and in Arlington Heights, Lansing, Bourbonnais and Michigan City, Ind. Liquidation sales begin Saturday."[/QUOTE]
When I first saw the news posted on the front page, I knew the Michigan City TRU had to be on the list of closings. It's a grubby little store that hadn't kept up with the times. Even had the old-school ticket system for games. But it was a good store in that usually wasn't too picked over, and it had a scanner next to the games section, which was great.

Of course, it would suck when you found a ticket for that $10 game you were looking for, took it to the register and paid for it, took your receipt to the security counter, only to be told 10 minutes later that they can't find it. Got my hopes dashed a few times that way.

But then there was that time I bought Gladius but they gave me Gradius V. Bought it with a whole stack of other games so didn't notice it until I got home. Nice surprise.

I'll miss the store. But I have a TRU much closer to me that I doubt is closing. So this news is not the end of the world, but it's still sad.

Damn, BOTH of the TRUs within 10 min of my house are closing (Freeport and Levittown, NY). Thankfully, there are still two others that are a little bit further away (hopefully they aren't closing too).

There goes my childhood. I guess I might as well try to see the positive side of things. So any good sales?

I know that 30% off wouldn't drag me out to pick up much, with the BB $10 off coupon still running, though 50% would certainly catch more of my attention. Video game hardware not being part of the sale is a little of a smack, though I'm sure they'll send the hardware to other stores.

Also surprising is the "no returns" clause, which I wonder if it applies just to the closing stores, or for all stores. It would be odd if you bought something at a closing store and not have it be returnable at another non-closing TRU. It is TRU merchandise, after all.

[quote name='shrike4242']Also surprising is the "no returns" clause, which I wonder if it applies just to the closing stores, or for all stores. It would be odd if you bought something at a closing store and not have it be returnable at another non-closing TRU. It is TRU merchandise, after all.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you could do that. I think that clause is always put in place when a store is liquidating, so the inventory they clear out is actually cleared out, and not returned 45 days later. Chances are, those stores will just not take returns of any kind, but any other stores will operate as normal.

[quote name='D. Monic']When I first saw the news posted on the front page, I knew the Michigan City TRU had to be on the list of closings. It's a grubby little store that hadn't kept up with the times. Even had the old-school ticket system for games. But it was a good store in that usually wasn't too picked over, and it had a scanner next to the games section, which was great.

Of course, it would suck when you found a ticket for that $10 game you were looking for, took it to the register and paid for it, took your receipt to the security counter, only to be told 10 minutes later that they can't find it. Got my hopes dashed a few times that way..[/QUOTE]
That's awesome. That's how TRU's were when I bought my Genesis games there. I was bummed for some reason when they got rid of that system. I guess Michigan City is just the city that time forgot....until today. :lol:

The inventory of the closing stores is bought by the liquidation company, they sure as hell dont want anything back, and other tru's dont want it since its technically not thiers AND it was bought from them at a discounted price (by the liquidators)

[quote name='SpottedNigel']The inventory of the closing stores is bought by the liquidation company, they sure as hell dont want anything back, and other tru's dont want it since its technically not thiers AND it was bought from them at a discounted price (by the liquidators)[/QUOTE]
Then they should get me more interested than 30% off if I can't bring it back.

Only Toys R Us that was easy for me to get to closed a few years back after the roof caved in. The next closest one is on an extremly busy street and has a super tiny parking lot making getting in and out a huge pain in the ass. Guess i'll be sitting this one out.

bread's done
Back