87 TRU Stores closing - currently 10% off consoles 20% off games 40% off accessories

wannabepunktony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
THE GIST:
87 TRU's are closing
Current sale at (will drop to bigger discounts):

10-30% off all consoles
20-50% off all games
20-50% off all guides
40-50% off all accessories

*All discount amounts YMMV. Check the list below for a possible update on where each store is at.
*All items bought cannot be returned or exchanged anywhere (the barcodes will be crossed out with a marker).
*Further discounts should happen every 1, 2 weeks. It seemed at first it would be a YMMV on when, but it seems all stores are dropping prices at the same time.
*Stores will probably close sometime around Feb. 27th, give or take a couple weeks. Really just depends on how much merch is still moving when that time comes.

Complete Toys R Us Store Closing List (87 out of 87):

AZ (1)
830 East Camelback Rd. (Phoenix)

CA (10)
735 E. Birch St. (Brea) (40%-60% - CLOSING 3/5)
775 Serramonte Blvd. (Colma) (50%-70%)
3938 Horton (Emeryville) (40%-50%)
1400 Gateway Blvd. (Fairfield) (40%-60%)
1196 W. Olive Ave. (Merced) (60%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)
1336 Hilltop Drive (Redding)
8181 Mira Mesa Blvd. (San Diego) (30%-50% - CLOSING 2/26)
2675 Geary St. (San Francisco) (30%-50%)
2751 Cherry Ave. (Signal Hill) (30%-50%)
1182 Admiral Callahan Dr. (Vallejo)

CO (3)
585 25-1/2 Rd. (Grand Junction)
5395 South Wadsworth Ave. (Littleton)
3610 Dillon Drive (Pueblo)

FL (5)
650 University Dr. (Coral Springs)
8621 Coral Way (Miami)
3860 Central Sarasota Pkwy (Sarasota)
1702 N. Dale Mabry (Tampa) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/27)
6590 20th Street (Vero Beach) (30%-50%)

GA (1)
3660 Eisenhour Pkwy (Macon)

IA (2)
1300 Kennedy Road (Dubuque)
4269 Sergeant Road (Sioux City)

IL (4)
40 W. Rand Road (Arlington Heights) (30%-50%)
1584 N. State Rt. 50 (Bourbonnais)
8900 Lafayette St. (Chicago)
16855 Torrence Ave. (Lansing) (50%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)

IN (2)
4575 W. 38th St. (Indianapolis) (30%-50%)
4100 South Franklin St. (Michigan City)

KS (1)
4646 W. Kellogg (Wichita)

KY (1)
5115 Frederica St. (Owensboro)

LA (1)
12250 I-10 @ Bullard (New Orleans)

MA (4)
200 Alewife Brook Pkwy. (Cambridge) (50%-70%)
14 Allstate Road (Dorchester)
50 Ingleside Mall (Holyoke) (30%-50%)
630 Fellsway West (Medford)

MD (3)
933 Washington Blvd. (Laurel) (30%-50%)
1238 Putty Hill Ave. (Towson) (30%-50%)
10901 Georgia Ave. (Wheaton) (30%-50%)

MI (3)
5740 Beckley Road (Battle Creek)
2353 N. Park Drive (Holland) (30%-50%)
6910 Eastman Ave. (Midland) (30%-50%)

MN (2)
925 West Central Entrance (Duluth) (50%-70% - CLOSING ON 2/26)
8236 Tamarack Village (Woodbury)

MO (2)
900 N.W. Plaza (Bridgeton) (30%-50%)
9110 Hillcrest Rd. (Kansas City)

MS (2)
2650 Beach Blvd. (Biloxi)
3850 Hwy. 80 (West Jackson)

NC (2)
6100A E. Independence Blvd. (Charlotte)
4325 Glenwood Avenue (Raleigh) (30%-50%)

NJ (1)
Troy Hills Shopping Center (Parsippany) (40%-50%)

NM (2)
2532 E. Lohman Ave. (Las Cruces)
4360 Rodeo Road (Santa Fe) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

NY (7)
2160 Jericho Turnpike (Commack) (50%-70%)
3405 Erie Blvd. Hills Plaza (De Witt)
240 W. Sunrise Hwy. (Freeport)
168-23/45 Jamaica Ave. (Jamaica)
3501 Hempstead Turnpike (Levittown) (50%-70%)
929 Williams Rd. (Niagra Falls) (30%-50%)
105 Mill Road (Staten Island)

OH (4)
2213 Roming Road (Akron) (30%-50%)
4340 West Broad St. (Columbus) (50%-70%)
11392 Princeton Rd. (Springdale)
1501 Bechtle Ave. (Springfield) (50%-70%)

OR (1)
1950 SE-14th Street (Albany) (50%-80%)

PA (2)
4000 Oxford Dr. (Bethel Park)
641 Baltimore Pk. (Springfield) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

SC (2)
1987 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (Charleston)
7201 Two Notch Road (Columbia) (20%-40%)

TN (2)
5255 Hickory Hollow Pkwy (Antioch)
2665 Perkins (Memphis)

TX (8)
3850 Ridgemont Drive (Abilene)
800 Sunrise Blvd. (Brownsville)
11210 North Freeway (Houston) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/25)
4238 Sunset Dr. (San Angelo)
2301 SW Military Road (San Antonio)
3201 N. Highway 75 (Sherman)
3323 Mall Drive. (Texarkana)
7905 N. Navarro Street (Victoria)

UT (1)
4040 Riverdale Rd. (Ogden) (30%-50% - CLOSING 4/1)

VA (3)
4019 W. Mercury Blvd. (Hampton)
2035-129 E. Market St. (Harrisonburg)
8449 Lessburg Pike (Tyson's Corner) (30%-50%)

WA (3)
150 E. Bellis Fair Parkway (Bellingham) (30%-50%)
3l5l0 20th Ave. (South Federal Way)
6104 N. Division St. (Spokane)

WI (2)
443 North Rolling Meadows Drive (Fond Du Lac)
2161 Zeier Road (Madison)

Thanks to everyone who helped with the store/sale list!

1/7 3AM EDIT: I am going to my TRU tomorrow to shop, as I bet many of the rest of you will too. Post what deals and stores you find and hopefully we can compile something worthwhile here. ^_^

1/7 1PM EDIT: Trying to compile what stores we have confirmed are closing; also adding what seems to be the current sale. Since each store is bought by local liqudators, your discounts may be different and drop slower/faster, so YMMV on the discounts, for better or for worse.

1/8 11PM EDIT: Looks like we are looking at about two weeks for the next drop, which should be to 20% - 40%. The time of the drop and the amount is up to each liqudator, so YMMV when it comes to it. But two weeks should be about right for all the stores. Store list updated, along with return policy. Forgot to ask about exchanges though, doh. >_<

1/11 2:30PM EDIT: Changed closed store total from 72 to 87, 12 of which are being turned into Babys R Us. Closing store list also updated.

1/13 3:30AM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added a note below about "fixture" sale information (which probably varies per store on how they go about selling the stuff off).

1/13 11:45PM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added news on possible console discounts.

1/16 3PM EDIT: Looks like Reality's Fringe was right on a nation-wide clearance increase, so thanks to him for the head's up!

1/16 11PM EDIT: Complete closing store list added!

2/9 7:30PM EDIT: Updated %s

I walked into work today for my paycheck and to price adjust some games, and one of the managers took me aside, gave me some paperwork and told me our TRU (Bellingham, WA) along with 72 others are being closed, effective tomorrow. Well, at least my store tomorrow, but I assume everyone else is in the same boat. The earliest they will actually close their doors is Feburary 27th, so there will be plenty of time to take advantage of the sale.

According to the manager, everything will be clearanced for the closing sale starting tomorrow, and only a few things will not be part of that, being video game hardware. I asked about games and she said she didn't know. I don't know exactly what the clearance is going to start at, but I would say 30% (what the GT sale usually starts at) would be a good guess.

If you bought anything from a closing TRU before today and you want to return, exchange, price adjust, whatever, you can still do so. But: everything bought from here on out CANNOT be returned. If they are like my store, they take a big black marker and cross out the UPC. They do this so you cannot return it to another TRU. I didn't get the whole speech, so exchanges may be okay, but no more returns, no more price adjustments.

Also: all TRU coupons, sales, price drops, whatever are no longer valid at the closing stores, since they are not really TRUs anymore.

If not already, you should be seeing soon some sort of poster, fill-out form, whatever in your TRU about selling the fixtures, etc. This includes video game display posters, standees, the playable game set-ups, etc. At my store, it was a cardboard kisok thing with a form you filled out with your contact info and what you want, and they'll contact you with a price. Don't know what things will go for, but you may or may not be able to score some cool stuff.

Does anyone know the current discount for toys?

This still sucks. Wal-mart is good for nothing. I can barely stand going in there anymore. When I was there yesterday, that was the first time I stepped foot in a Wallyworld in at least a month. I can't stand the atmosphere in them. Target is great but it doesn't have the toy and video game variety (not to mention the deals) that TRU has.

Niagara Falls NY store is closing, info confirmed as i was there today

I was gonna make a separate topic for this store closing but i will just use this one instead.

Current discount for toys should be 10% off most things

Video game accessories were 30% off

I got geist for gamecube for 8.99 and an action replay advance game port for gamecube for about 3.49 after all discounts. Geist was untagged and was placed with the regular games but when i checked the price scanner it came up 8.99 so i bought it. This store still has game consoles in stock, at least they had them in the display case.

Its not hard to see why TRU is going to close all these stores, there prices are not competitive hardly, and most of their items are way way overpriced. They were also charging way more for video games, they charged 49.99 for pokemon channel when it came out and it was only 29.99 everywhere else, they also ripped you off for 69.99 on pokemon colloseum and other pokemon games. They are currently selling the shrek gba video for 39.99. Also there is a lot of competition for online toys sales and ebay for toy sales, which is probably another contributing factor. Why stand in line and fight rude employees and rude customers when amazon.com has everything you need and will deliver it to your door giftwrapped and tagged. The niagara falls store has a lot of kids electronic toys and plenty of video games to choose from, and its always been that way that kids want the latest high tech stuff so thats nothing new. We dont have best buy in niagara falls either we only have walmart and target, best buy is in amherst and its a 20-45 min ride depending on traffic.

[quote name='xokxtrunks']I'm glad no stores near me are closing.[/QUOTE]

I am too, only because there are at least four worthy of driving distance and I can't wait for the next R Zone clearance.

i went to the Cambridge, MA & Medford, MA stores today. Cambridge has about 15 copies of Alien Hominid for $9.00 after the 10% discount. other than that, deals are pretty weak.

haven't been to the Dorchester, MA store yet... anybody else here drop by there?

All Victoria, TX people, please see the regional post I just made.

Will accessories include controllers? Daddy needs 2 Wavebirds.

Also, if anyone has word on the College Station location, I neeeeeeds to know.

The only NE Ohio area closing is one of the Akron stores on Romig rd (Rolling Acres). Not sure if this includes Cleveland area. Anyone who has been to this location probably isnt surprised.

Dave

[quote name='Strell']All Victoria, TX people, please see the regional post I just made.

Will accessories include controllers? Daddy needs 2 Wavebirds.

Also, if anyone has word on the College Station location, I neeeeeeds to know.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Wavebirds were 30% off at mine. There are plenty of platy plats, and even a few GT gray ones (waiting for them to hit a bigger percentage).

[quote name='thunder_gamer']Did the stores that are going to close have some post-it like forms stuck onto the shelves? Does that have anything to do with..., well, anything? Because I notice couple Toys "R" Us that I went to these couple days have them... :whistle2:| Dang, I do not want to drive 30 minutes for a Toys "R" Us... :whistle2:( :nottalking: :headache:[/QUOTE]

if it has like

DNI

that means they are getting ready to do inventory

and it means Do Not Inventory

in the SF Bay Area..the stores near me SF (about 30 mins away) and DC (5 mins away) are both closing...the closest ones are 45 mins away-1 hr in San Mateo or Red Wood City..this sucks, they had some good deals on videogames,..also never really went to walmart since the closest one is across the bridge and atl east an hour+ drive..i still dont get how SF will have no TRU's and they dont even have any walmart's...either drive far or just settle for bestbuy/cctarget/eb/gamestop deals

from what I remembered when they were starting to do this long ago..fairlakes, va said they are not closing down as they are a "Kids World" (ha I use to work there when they were remodeling/transitioning from TRU to KW) and that if a TRU is converted to a KW, then they will stay opened.. Hope Sterling, VA doesn't kick the bucket as i tend to find more intresting items for sale there (darth vader candy jar:p)

[quote name='stargun']if it has like

DNI

that means they are getting ready to do inventory

and it means Do Not Inventory[/QUOTE]

looks like sterling,va just finished there inventory and haven't had the chance to take down there white tags yet lol.

[quote name='shrike4242']I know that 30% off wouldn't drag me out to pick up much, with the BB $10 off coupon still running, though 50% would certainly catch more of my attention. Video game hardware not being part of the sale is a little of a smack, though I'm sure they'll send the hardware to other stores.

Also surprising is the "no returns" clause, which I wonder if it applies just to the closing stores, or for all stores. It would be odd if you bought something at a closing store and not have it be returnable at another non-closing TRU. It is TRU merchandise, after all.[/QUOTE]

A lot of times the store sells the merchandise to a liquidation company so it is not owned by TRU and you CAN NOT return it. Not sure if this is the case here. But Office Depot did this to some stores and you could not return it to any store it said so on the receipt.

What no Jacksonville stores closing, what crap, the regency deserves to close... maybe the OP one too. I hope you find another better paying job soon. My symphaties

I went to a TRU today in Ann Arbor MI and their games were not on sale and as expensive as ever. Now I know why it's closing. Anyway, does that mean no sale and no close?

If you go to a TRU and find some of the sale games on the master list (check the other topic about TRU) they should still ring up on sale even if they are not tagged. There are price scanners in the store so you can check the prices that way, it may be a little hard to get the upc codes to scan but you will get it eventually.

Unless they are shipping all the sale games to the closing stores, which could be why there are no sale games in your store.

[quote name='EagleNights']I went to a TRU today in Ann Arbor MI and their games were not on sale and as expensive as ever. Now I know why it's closing. Anyway, does that mean no sale and no close?[/QUOTE]

I haven't gone by it yet (I actually live in Ann Arbor) but I highly doubt it's closing. Everytime I've been in there they were quite busy and they were still hiring as of a week or two ago. Not every TRU is closing, so if there isn't a sale, it's not one of them.

By the way, I happen to like that Toys R Us, they have good selection (always better than Best Buy) and helpful service, none of their prices are out of whack so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Rainbow Six 3 Lockdown for $50 mainly. I've only been there three times though.
If they're not going out of business, maybe I'l apply for a job, I really need one.

Bridgeton store was 10% off games, 30% off accessories. I didn't bother a trip to Florissant, mainly since 10% off wasn't enough to get me interested.

Best bet I could see right now would be 360 accessories, especially controllers and the hard drive. HD for $70 wouldn't be a bad find, though I didn't see at that TRU.

I talked with one of the clerks and she didn't know if the discounts would increase as time gets closer to the end of next month. They just found out themselves yesterday. I'd bet as time goes on, the discounts will increase, though it might be a while before we see more than 10%/30%.

I love TRU and all, but they are (without exception) within 5 minutes of a BestBuy or Target at each location in Phoenix metro. When it comes to any new releases, Target and Frys (and even stupid WalMart) offer a substantial discount for the first few days when TRU does not. Even on games that have what seem like global price drops, TRU always seems to be the last to update their prices.

I will always remember all the cool things I got as a kid from TRU, but they were always toys and not games because we could always get better deals at WalMart/Kmart/Target. Considering how things are going these days economically for retail and with places like Amazon playing all sides to offer the cheapest prices (next to eBay), this was a long time coming. Same with KBToys.

GameStop bought FuncoLand out, a few other little retail shops, and now EB, so that there is going to be one national specialty game store, and that seems to be the wave of the future for B&M game shopping. Everyone pays 100% MSRP until clearance and then we all scramble to get the games for what they should retail for in the first place.

Just my $.02.

[quote name='foundation']I love TRU and all, but they are (without exception) within 5 minutes of a BestBuy or Target at each location in Phoenix metro. When it comes to any new releases, Target and Frys (and even stupid WalMart) offer a substantial discount for the first few days when TRU does not. Even on games that have what seem like global price drops, TRU always seems to be the last to update their prices.

I will always remember all the cool things I got as a kid from TRU, but they were always toys and not games because we could always get better deals at WalMart/Kmart/Target. Considering how things are going these days economically for retail and with places like Amazon playing all sides to offer the cheapest prices (next to eBay), this was a long time coming. Same with KBToys.

GameStop bought FuncoLand out, a few other little retail shops, and now EB, so that there is going to be one national specialty game store, and that seems to be the wave of the future for B&M game shopping. Everyone pays 100% MSRP until clearance and then we all scramble to get the games for what they should retail for in the first place.

Just my $.02.[/QUOTE]

I hate gamestop, personally. Their stores are too small and only have a good selection if you include several different stores, depending on what you're looking for. GameCrazy is far far better, cheaper, rarer games, and they don't open their new copies!

Hey, do you ever go to Bookman's? I've found some really good deals there, and some rare games. In GameZone too, they have an excellent selection, especially if you're into japanese games. They have some pretty rare games sometimes too. Sorry, I'm just dreaming about going there in the summer:drool:

Reality's Fringe said:
Yes. Wavebirds were 30% off at mine. There are plenty of platy plats, and even a few GT gray ones (waiting for them to hit a bigger percentage).

Mr. RF, are you telling me you have 17.xx Wavebirds at your store?

[quote name='Strell']Mr. RF, are you telling me you have 17.xx Wavebirds at your store?[/QUOTE]

I think so, unless the one in the case is the last one (On ticket system).

Gamecrazy here opens their new games so its the same as ebgames/gamestop, and to get to the nearest gamecrazy i have to drive like 40-50 minutes.

There were a whole bunch of controllers left for all systems (didnt check to see if there was any xbox360 stuff) at the niagara falls, ny store.

Gamestop here actually isnt too bad the store is pretty big my major complaint about them is they occasionally sell bootleg gba games in the used rack and wont do anything about it. Both ebgames and gamecrazy and any used game retailer might possibly do this as well so it is not a problem that is exclusive to gamestop. Its too easy to slip a bootleg past a game store employee.

My other complaint about game stores and this is a strange one indeed is that often the place SMELLS with a combination of body odor, alcohol and smoke (and other substances which i will not mention!. This is general for all smallish game stores in my area, i feel so bad for the employees that have to put up with that all day and come home smelling like that.

Oh. Well, in Colorado GameCrazy is so much better than Gamestop. I suppose it chnges from place to place. But GameCrazy is like I said an excellent place for older/rarer games. Just in the last few weeks I've found tons at GC, including Bonk's adventure for NES, numerous next-gen rae games, and several old good DC games. So I guess it depends on what you like too.

[quote name='SaraAB']. . . My other complaint about game stores and this is a strange one indeed is that often the place SMELLS with a combination of body odor, alcohol and smoke (and other substances which i will not mention!. This is general for all smallish game stores in my area, i feel so bad for the employees that have to put up with that all day and come home smelling like that.[/QUOTE]

This problem just isn't in your area, it's in mine too and probably most other locations. Scary . . . very, very scary. The only one I've noticed that doesn't seem to have this problem yet is a small independent store that recently opened in my area called Frequency.

It's a shame so many stores are closing. TRU never really used to have that great deals for games but in the last 2 - 3 years, it really seems like the deals have been getting better and I would hate to see any of my local TRU's close.

i dont get it...the SF area will now not have any TRU's, doesn't have any gamecrazy's, or no walmart's....when smaller town's outside of SF and around cali have those stores...this sucks

Midland, Michigan Toys R Us Closing - the one on Eastman Road right next to the Mall. Not really surprised this place had a max of 3 people in the entire store during last summer's mad clearance sales. I picked up Geist for Cube for $8.99, Xenosaga 2 for $8.99, and Killzone for $8.99. Everything is just 10-30% off right now. XBOX 360 accessories all 30% off including the XBOX LIVE kit with headset and everything for $48.99 after discount plus it has a $20 mail-in rebate for buying a game. So yeah, i'm hoping one or two of those are left after it drops down a bit more in price because as of right now its like 5 bucks cheaper than what you can regularly get it at sam's club which is $54.99.

[quote name='Redeema']I was just told that the Merced, CA store is closing. When can I start getting in on the deals?[/QUOTE]

Confirmed:

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/local/story/11663619p-12391783c.html

That, plus, I was just there. Don't expect to walk out of the store with anything though. I selected two items, grabbed the tickets, paid, when to pickup .. then they told me they had neither in stock. :roll:

Ah, well. 10% is much of a discount anyway. I tried to get a wavebird for 30% off, but no go. ymmv.

I visited San Fran for a few weeks in December and found a few GameCrazy locations, although probably not technically *in* SF. One was in Daly City right off the freeway near John Daly exit and the other was a few miles south near that mall with the giant Target. The TRU on Geary was freaky for me coming from wide open spaces and free standing B&M stores.

[quote name='rly723']i dont get it...the SF area will now not have any TRU's, doesn't have any gamecrazy's, or no walmart's....when smaller town's outside of SF and around cali have those stores...this sucks[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ITDEFX']from what I remembered when they were starting to do this long ago..fairlakes, va said they are not closing down as they are a "Kids World" (ha I use to work there when they were remodeling/transitioning from TRU to KW) and that if a TRU is converted to a KW, then they will stay opened.. Hope Sterling, VA doesn't kick the bucket as i tend to find more intresting items for sale there (darth vader candy jar:p)[/QUOTE]

I was in the Fair Lakes store about 2 hours ago. They are not closing. There are tons of DNI tags on the shelves. I did notice that there are very few clothes left and the whole middle of the store is empty. Either the clothes are gone for good or they just haven't received the full shipment of spring/summer clothes yet.

One of the customer service reps there told me that the Tysons Corner store is closing. She made no mention of any other stores in the Northern Virginia area.

-D.

Reality's Fringe said:
I think so, unless the one in the case is the last one (On ticket system).

Hmmm. To wait for the possibility of WBs getting cheaper than that at the Victoria location, or attempt to connive people on CAG to buy them for me and somehow ship them for roughly the same cost...

Ehhh, I'll stay my hand for now. But when they hit 50% off, I sincerely hope a CAG is there to hook me up. I only need 2 for myself, but getting some extras for down the line and also for friends would be sweet.

Gamestop/Software Etc/Babbages.. those stores have always been my last resort because for the longest time, every other store price-matched. Now few do (even the ones that claim to *cough* BB *cough*) so GS is just another inventory to check when looking for hard-to-find stuff.

GameCrazy is best for me overall because there are 2 within 5 minutes so one or the other always has what I want, and they'll price-match anything I throw at 'em.

I went to college in Tucson so I used to go to Bookmans constantly, but in Phx metro they're just too far away and usually don't have any complete games in stock that are worth looking at. Everytime I've found something decent for DS or PS2/GCN, it's always a bare disc or a stickered up Blockbuster copy so I pass. They did give me $5 cash per $.01 guide I brought in though. That cracked me up! I made almost $400 in two trips.

Where is this GameZone you're talking about?

[quote name='EagleNights']I hate gamestop, personally. Their stores are too small and only have a good selection if you include several different stores, depending on what you're looking for. GameCrazy is far far better, cheaper, rarer games, and they don't open their new copies!

Hey, do you ever go to Bookman's? I've found some really good deals there, and some rare games. In GameZone too, they have an excellent selection, especially if you're into japanese games. They have some pretty rare games sometimes too. Sorry, I'm just dreaming about going there in the summer:drool:[/QUOTE]

I dropped by the TRU in Fresh Pond (for those of you in MA). Wavebirds are going at about 25 bucks a pop. I saw a few left. There are a good amount of GBA games marked down to $9.XX, including F-Zero and Golden Sun (which I thought was hard to find?)

Overall, the selection wasn't great, but there were a few notable purchases. Polarium is going for about $9.50 after 10% is taken off. It's not the greatest of puzzle games, but it's worth under 10 dollars.

Federal Way, WA is closing.

I noticed the guys standing outside in the pouring rain hold 10% - 30% off signs on multiple street corners.

bread's done
Back