87 TRU Stores closing - currently 10% off consoles 20% off games 40% off accessories

wannabepunktony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
THE GIST:
87 TRU's are closing
Current sale at (will drop to bigger discounts):

10-30% off all consoles
20-50% off all games
20-50% off all guides
40-50% off all accessories

*All discount amounts YMMV. Check the list below for a possible update on where each store is at.
*All items bought cannot be returned or exchanged anywhere (the barcodes will be crossed out with a marker).
*Further discounts should happen every 1, 2 weeks. It seemed at first it would be a YMMV on when, but it seems all stores are dropping prices at the same time.
*Stores will probably close sometime around Feb. 27th, give or take a couple weeks. Really just depends on how much merch is still moving when that time comes.

Complete Toys R Us Store Closing List (87 out of 87):

AZ (1)
830 East Camelback Rd. (Phoenix)

CA (10)
735 E. Birch St. (Brea) (40%-60% - CLOSING 3/5)
775 Serramonte Blvd. (Colma) (50%-70%)
3938 Horton (Emeryville) (40%-50%)
1400 Gateway Blvd. (Fairfield) (40%-60%)
1196 W. Olive Ave. (Merced) (60%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)
1336 Hilltop Drive (Redding)
8181 Mira Mesa Blvd. (San Diego) (30%-50% - CLOSING 2/26)
2675 Geary St. (San Francisco) (30%-50%)
2751 Cherry Ave. (Signal Hill) (30%-50%)
1182 Admiral Callahan Dr. (Vallejo)

CO (3)
585 25-1/2 Rd. (Grand Junction)
5395 South Wadsworth Ave. (Littleton)
3610 Dillon Drive (Pueblo)

FL (5)
650 University Dr. (Coral Springs)
8621 Coral Way (Miami)
3860 Central Sarasota Pkwy (Sarasota)
1702 N. Dale Mabry (Tampa) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/27)
6590 20th Street (Vero Beach) (30%-50%)

GA (1)
3660 Eisenhour Pkwy (Macon)

IA (2)
1300 Kennedy Road (Dubuque)
4269 Sergeant Road (Sioux City)

IL (4)
40 W. Rand Road (Arlington Heights) (30%-50%)
1584 N. State Rt. 50 (Bourbonnais)
8900 Lafayette St. (Chicago)
16855 Torrence Ave. (Lansing) (50%-80% - CLOSING 2/25)

IN (2)
4575 W. 38th St. (Indianapolis) (30%-50%)
4100 South Franklin St. (Michigan City)

KS (1)
4646 W. Kellogg (Wichita)

KY (1)
5115 Frederica St. (Owensboro)

LA (1)
12250 I-10 @ Bullard (New Orleans)

MA (4)
200 Alewife Brook Pkwy. (Cambridge) (50%-70%)
14 Allstate Road (Dorchester)
50 Ingleside Mall (Holyoke) (30%-50%)
630 Fellsway West (Medford)

MD (3)
933 Washington Blvd. (Laurel) (30%-50%)
1238 Putty Hill Ave. (Towson) (30%-50%)
10901 Georgia Ave. (Wheaton) (30%-50%)

MI (3)
5740 Beckley Road (Battle Creek)
2353 N. Park Drive (Holland) (30%-50%)
6910 Eastman Ave. (Midland) (30%-50%)

MN (2)
925 West Central Entrance (Duluth) (50%-70% - CLOSING ON 2/26)
8236 Tamarack Village (Woodbury)

MO (2)
900 N.W. Plaza (Bridgeton) (30%-50%)
9110 Hillcrest Rd. (Kansas City)

MS (2)
2650 Beach Blvd. (Biloxi)
3850 Hwy. 80 (West Jackson)

NC (2)
6100A E. Independence Blvd. (Charlotte)
4325 Glenwood Avenue (Raleigh) (30%-50%)

NJ (1)
Troy Hills Shopping Center (Parsippany) (40%-50%)

NM (2)
2532 E. Lohman Ave. (Las Cruces)
4360 Rodeo Road (Santa Fe) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

NY (7)
2160 Jericho Turnpike (Commack) (50%-70%)
3405 Erie Blvd. Hills Plaza (De Witt)
240 W. Sunrise Hwy. (Freeport)
168-23/45 Jamaica Ave. (Jamaica)
3501 Hempstead Turnpike (Levittown) (50%-70%)
929 Williams Rd. (Niagra Falls) (30%-50%)
105 Mill Road (Staten Island)

OH (4)
2213 Roming Road (Akron) (30%-50%)
4340 West Broad St. (Columbus) (50%-70%)
11392 Princeton Rd. (Springdale)
1501 Bechtle Ave. (Springfield) (50%-70%)

OR (1)
1950 SE-14th Street (Albany) (50%-80%)

PA (2)
4000 Oxford Dr. (Bethel Park)
641 Baltimore Pk. (Springfield) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/26-27)

SC (2)
1987 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (Charleston)
7201 Two Notch Road (Columbia) (20%-40%)

TN (2)
5255 Hickory Hollow Pkwy (Antioch)
2665 Perkins (Memphis)

TX (8)
3850 Ridgemont Drive (Abilene)
800 Sunrise Blvd. (Brownsville)
11210 North Freeway (Houston) (50%-70% - CLOSING 2/25)
4238 Sunset Dr. (San Angelo)
2301 SW Military Road (San Antonio)
3201 N. Highway 75 (Sherman)
3323 Mall Drive. (Texarkana)
7905 N. Navarro Street (Victoria)

UT (1)
4040 Riverdale Rd. (Ogden) (30%-50% - CLOSING 4/1)

VA (3)
4019 W. Mercury Blvd. (Hampton)
2035-129 E. Market St. (Harrisonburg)
8449 Lessburg Pike (Tyson's Corner) (30%-50%)

WA (3)
150 E. Bellis Fair Parkway (Bellingham) (30%-50%)
3l5l0 20th Ave. (South Federal Way)
6104 N. Division St. (Spokane)

WI (2)
443 North Rolling Meadows Drive (Fond Du Lac)
2161 Zeier Road (Madison)

Thanks to everyone who helped with the store/sale list!

1/7 3AM EDIT: I am going to my TRU tomorrow to shop, as I bet many of the rest of you will too. Post what deals and stores you find and hopefully we can compile something worthwhile here. ^_^

1/7 1PM EDIT: Trying to compile what stores we have confirmed are closing; also adding what seems to be the current sale. Since each store is bought by local liqudators, your discounts may be different and drop slower/faster, so YMMV on the discounts, for better or for worse.

1/8 11PM EDIT: Looks like we are looking at about two weeks for the next drop, which should be to 20% - 40%. The time of the drop and the amount is up to each liqudator, so YMMV when it comes to it. But two weeks should be about right for all the stores. Store list updated, along with return policy. Forgot to ask about exchanges though, doh. >_<

1/11 2:30PM EDIT: Changed closed store total from 72 to 87, 12 of which are being turned into Babys R Us. Closing store list also updated.

1/13 3:30AM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added a note below about "fixture" sale information (which probably varies per store on how they go about selling the stuff off).

1/13 11:45PM EDIT: Updated the closed store list. Added news on possible console discounts.

1/16 3PM EDIT: Looks like Reality's Fringe was right on a nation-wide clearance increase, so thanks to him for the head's up!

1/16 11PM EDIT: Complete closing store list added!

2/9 7:30PM EDIT: Updated %s

I walked into work today for my paycheck and to price adjust some games, and one of the managers took me aside, gave me some paperwork and told me our TRU (Bellingham, WA) along with 72 others are being closed, effective tomorrow. Well, at least my store tomorrow, but I assume everyone else is in the same boat. The earliest they will actually close their doors is Feburary 27th, so there will be plenty of time to take advantage of the sale.

According to the manager, everything will be clearanced for the closing sale starting tomorrow, and only a few things will not be part of that, being video game hardware. I asked about games and she said she didn't know. I don't know exactly what the clearance is going to start at, but I would say 30% (what the GT sale usually starts at) would be a good guess.

If you bought anything from a closing TRU before today and you want to return, exchange, price adjust, whatever, you can still do so. But: everything bought from here on out CANNOT be returned. If they are like my store, they take a big black marker and cross out the UPC. They do this so you cannot return it to another TRU. I didn't get the whole speech, so exchanges may be okay, but no more returns, no more price adjustments.

Also: all TRU coupons, sales, price drops, whatever are no longer valid at the closing stores, since they are not really TRUs anymore.

If not already, you should be seeing soon some sort of poster, fill-out form, whatever in your TRU about selling the fixtures, etc. This includes video game display posters, standees, the playable game set-ups, etc. At my store, it was a cardboard kisok thing with a form you filled out with your contact info and what you want, and they'll contact you with a price. Don't know what things will go for, but you may or may not be able to score some cool stuff.

[quote name='wannabepunktony']20% off all games[/QUOTE]
Any inside-knowledge of when this will drop to 30% off? That might make it worthwhile to drive the 30 miles to the nearest Toys'r'Us.

[quote name='electrictroy']Any inside-knowledge of when this will drop to 30% off? That might make it worthwhile to drive the 30 miles to the nearest Toys'r'Us.[/QUOTE]

I would guess this upcoming Sunday - but that is just a guess. If I hear anything, I'll drop it here, but my hours have been cut to weekends only, so I don't get to hear as much anymore.

On a side note, it appears as if EyeToy games that are packaged with the camera are coming up at the accessories discount (currently 40%), so not a bad price if you are looking for those games. But, if your store has a ton like mine, it could be even better when the discount shoots up to 50%, 60% next time. ^_^

[quote name='wannabepunktony']
On a side note, it appears as if EyeToy games that are packaged with the camera are coming up at the accessories discount (currently 40%), so not a bad price if you are looking for those games. But, if your store has a ton like mine, it could be even better when the discount shoots up to 50%, 60% next time. ^_^[/QUOTE]

Is DDR with the mat also an accessory?

I believe that's how Best Buy has it set up, just wondering if TRU is doing the same thing.

went to a couple TRU's this morning in SF Bay Area

i really wanted a Nintendo DS..with the 10% off, its selling for around $117..thats the lowest price ive seen for a new one, but they had none left

Saw probably 30+ copies of geist and polarium

though i did end up getting a mini pro wheel for ps2 for 98 cents and a PSP case for $2...i dont trust those TRU workers because the were talking and said they wanted to get streering wheels for themselves and had more in the back which i overheard...but that was the last one left outside..i thiink some are being shady and trying to keep stuff for themselves

Are systems really 10% off at all stores? I want to buy one if it is. That way I can use the $15 difference on a game.

BTW, are there any positives or negative between the SCPH 70001 and SCPH 75001 models. I know the 75001 is a later release than the 70001. They only have the 70001 my neighborhood store.

Thanks.

hamptons done for, went by there today, saw the sign "Merchandise sold out," but they are selling the shelves if anybody has a thing for those

[quote name='BostonHarbour']Are systems really 10% off at all stores? I want to buy one if it is. That way I can use the $15 difference on a game.

BTW, are there any positives or negative between the SCPH 70001 and SCPH 75001 models. I know the 75001 is a later release than the 70001. They only have the 70001 my neighborhood store.[/QUOTE]
SCPH-70001 = version 13.
SCPH-75001 = version 14.

75001 has a newer firmware chip and some other chips with copyright 2005. Not sure if it means better or they simply changing chips to save cost. 75001 and 70001 share the same (better?) laser pickup but both have the modem port dropped (only network port remains). However, 75001 seems to have some compatibility problem with certain games.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ConsumerAlerts.aspx?id=softwareTitles_75001.html

Btw, I have a 70001.

[quote name='Roufuss']Is DDR with the mat also an accessory?

I believe that's how Best Buy has it set up, just wondering if TRU is doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I'll check next time I go in, or if anyone else finds out and can let us know. ^_^

[quote name='eau']SCPH-70001 = version 13.
SCPH-75001 = version 14.

75001 has a newer firmware chip and some other chips with copyright 2005. Not sure if it means better or they simply changing chips to save cost. 75001 and 70001 share the same (better?) laser pickup but both have the modem port dropped (only network port remains). However, 75001 seems to have some compatibility problem with certain games.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ConsumerAlerts.aspx?id=softwareTitles_75001.html

Btw, I have a 70001.[/QUOTE]

Wow that sucks. I just bought a 75001. So if I didn't read this alert and purchased Tiger Woods 2005 or Fight Night Round 2. Would Sony refund me the money? The stores are not going to accept the returns of these games if they have been opened.

[quote name='Roufuss']Is DDR with the mat also an accessory?

I believe that's how Best Buy has it set up, just wondering if TRU is doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

The TRU in Woodbury, MN has DDR with the mat priced as a game (only 20% off), not an accessory. They do have separate matts for sale that are 40%, but not when bundled with the game.

Curious, is anything left in the Woodbury TRU? I saw several copies of Rebelstar GBA last week and am waiting for bigger drops before picking it up.

Woodbury is pretty much cleaned out. There are lots of games, but no real deals that I saw. They still have consoles for sale (PS2, GC, Xbox) for 10% off, but that isn't much of a bargain.

The Signal Hill TRU has tons of Baten Kaitos with Soundtrack for $8.00 plus tax. I'm playing the game right now, its a pretty good RPG. I actually ended buying a gamecube because of all the games I got at TRU.

I tried to get the Xbox 360 Cardboard Standout games, and they said they were sending those back to Microsoft by the manager (but I figure the employees will end up with them)

[quote name='Cth']I tried to get the Xbox 360 Cardboard Standout games, and they said they were sending those back to Microsoft by the manager (but I figure the employees will end up with them)[/QUOTE]

I tried to get a Mario Party 7 standee at my work, and they said I couldn't have it until they checked to see if Nintendo wanted it back, so chances are what they told you is legit.

PS: I am still looking for a Baten Kaitos with soundtrack, if anyone can hook a guy up? ^_~

which baiten kaitos is the cheap one..there were tons of copies at my TRU for the GC version...a whole rackful..a least 30-40 copies

the one with the exta bonus disc is the one i saw..there were ton of copies..but it was tagged at 29.99 and this was at a closing TRU

I doubt the companies really want their displays back. It's too much of a hassle to send a regional representative in to haul it off. The store (managers) probably want them around until the very last day. It's not very appealing when a sectional display is missing...

I worked in a super market and we've thrown out huge displays; promo models such as a 3 foot high Pepsi Star Wars Episode III R2D2 soda dispensers, a Pepsi end base, a 3 foot high giant M&M candy dispenser, Coke displays, Superbowl promo displays, beer promo displays, etc. Most vendors are supposed to take their displays when the sale is over but they never do. They say they'll throw them out but they leave them behind and we end up trashing them.

[quote name='rly723']which baiten kaitos is the cheap one..there were tons of copies at my TRU for the GC version...a whole rackful..a least 30-40 copies[/QUOTE]

My TRU had close to 60 copies on the shelf inside the glass. That's simply ridiculous, and then they had at least 10 on the consumer shelf boxed in their security boxes.

i'm thinking i may just go to signal hill during lunch on monday.. hopefully they still have baiten kaitos with ost. If anyone wants me to grab them a copy pm me and I'll try to get you one.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']No new percentage drop yet?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this weekend? I'm checking the Battle Creek, MI TRU on Sunday. I hope they still have some good stuff.

I haven't once had them tear out a UPC. They did mark out the UPC on the 360 accessories with permanent marker (over the plastic), but that comes off easily with Goo Gone. The other times, they seemed to just not do anything anymore.

If anything, they'll likely just mark over the UPC with the plastic seal still intact. I seriously doubt they will, or have ever opened a game and marked out the UPC directly on the insert.

Went back to the TRU in niagara falls this weekend, scanned a bunch of guides the right way this time and all were coming up as 20% off regular price, no one buying the guides here so i will probably wait until they get dirt dirt cheap like i did with media play. There was a bunch of guides marked with a 14.99 pricetag as well i didnt bother scanning those cause its doubtful even if they came up 1 cent that they would let that pass they would probably overwrite the price in the system for the higher price.

I did find bomberman DS for 7.98 which is an incredibly good price, there was a copy hidden in the back of all the DS games. Tons of DS games on sale here at the niagara falls store, waiting for it to get cheaper then i will buy something. Lots of games left here as well. Bomberman DS appeared to be the last of the leftovers from the green tag sale that i could find.

There are still some worthwhile accessories here i believe, also they had a bunch of games in a case and it said on the case if you want to purchase one of these games to see a TRU associate, i dont know whats up with that.

They are still marking the games with permanent marker and not tearing the plastic or removing the UPC.

[quote name='shieryda']Hopefully this weekend? I'm checking the Battle Creek, MI TRU on Sunday. I hope they still have some good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I will repeat. STORES ARE ON DIFFERENT LIQUIDATION SCHEDULES. From this point on I would expect that someone would report individual stores dropping 10% every week, but it will be a YMMV. Ask you local store when they are closing and you should be able to get a good idea when the next 10% drop is coming.

Anyone know what the discount is in Hampton this week? That should be where all the other stores bottom out.

Just vistied my TRU in North Houston and they've gone to 30-50% price reductions. I picked up Amplitude for 9.99, MGS3 for 19.99, and DDR Ultramix for 19.99 (all prices pre-discount). If you take 30% off of that total that only $33 for all three games. I also got one of the 3rd party DDR pad for the Xbox with the foam insert. It was marked for $40, but at 50% off that's only $20 out of pocket.

I really wanted to pick up either Donkey Konga or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat with the Bongos (they still have several), but my wife would have shot me after all the other stuff I already got. Maybe after the next reduction.

my local TRU was the 30-50% as well...W. Broad St Columbus OH fyi...consoles were at 30% off too...

I picked up a few things...PM me if anyone interested in Sealed Nintendo DS that I picked up for $90 bucks (Silver) I have Two...

Damn... was holding out for 30% to get Suikoden Tactics, but it will only come out to $28.99, and now that GS / EB have it for $29.99 brand new there is no point.

I can only hope TRU marks it down Thursday, and that the closing store will also mark it down to $29.99, at which point it becomes 20.99.

TRU in Towson MD upped everything by 10% today - games are 30% off.

[quote name='larrytrain']TRU in Towson MD upped everything by 10% today - games are 30% off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, that means that the Wheaton TRU will also probably have the drop, i might as well head down there now and see what i can get for dirt cheap.

[quote name='abhinav']Thanks for the heads up, that means that the Wheaton TRU will also probably have the drop, i might as well head down there now and see what i can get for dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

TRU here also now has their games 30% off. I went over there and thankfully they still have some DS games I need to pick up in stock. Hopefully they'll be there when I get paid in a few days....

i got a call today from my Toys R Us about buying the game displays and various junk from the game section. all the playable ps2, psp, gc and xbox displays are going back and are not for sale. the huge game boxes are going back. the only thing thats left were posters and shelving units.

pretty disappointed...i was hoping to wrangle the psp and ps2 display.

[quote name='mj1108']TRU here also now has their games 30% off. I went over there and thankfully they still have some DS games I need to pick up in stock. Hopefully they'll be there when I get paid in a few days....[/QUOTE]

Cool, i am looking for DS games too, if you find somthing please gimmie a heads up. :D And please dont hoard :cry:

man I went to toys rus reciently and noticed that 20 of 50 dollar dancemats to be gone. Oh man some jackass is going to have hell reselling them. I know that several items from the past Toys R US green tag sale end up at my local pawnshop. Some people should realize that some things cannot be bought and sold for a profit.

What a difference ten percent makes, went to the Laurel, MD store today, went last week and pretty much everything was still hanging around. Went tonight and christ what a surprise. PSP's were gone, but at 175 that is no big surprise. But I couldn't believe that damn near all the gamecube and xbox accessories were gone, just a big space. Yet oddly nearly all the ps2 accessories were still there. DS games weren't selling at all , still had a lot of those.

[quote name='coolsteel']What a difference ten percent makes, went to the Laurel, MD store today, went last week and pretty much everything was still hanging around. Went tonight and christ what a surprise. PSP's were gone, but at 175 that is no big surprise. But I couldn't believe that damn near all the gamecube and xbox accessories were gone, just a big space. Yet oddly nearly all the ps2 accessories were still there. DS games weren't selling at all , still had a lot of those.[/QUOTE]

Do ya remember any?
I am actualy looking for:
Metroid Prime Pinball
Lost in Blue
Fifa 2006
Bust a move
Star Wars Epidsode 3

And a few Xbox 360 games. Thanks for the help, i live kinda far away from laurel and calling them is usualy a waste of time.

[quote name='BostonHarbour']I doubt the companies really want their displays back. It's too much of a hassle to send a regional representative in to haul it off. The store (managers) probably want them around until the very last day. It's not very appealing when a sectional display is missing...

I worked in a super market and we've thrown out huge displays; promo models such as a 3 foot high Pepsi Star Wars Episode III R2D2 soda dispensers, a Pepsi end base, a 3 foot high giant M&M candy dispenser, Coke displays, Superbowl promo displays, beer promo displays, etc. Most vendors are supposed to take their displays when the sale is over but they never do. They say they'll throw them out but they leave them behind and we end up trashing them.[/QUOTE]

Grab those suckers and sell them on Craigslist. My dad has been collceting Coke stuff for a couple decades now and people pay $100+ for those displays all the time.

[quote name='Indiana']Wow I went tonight to TRU. They were picked over badly already. There are no worthwhile accessories at this point. The only things that might be worth buying are the Dance mats or Taiko Drum master if the price ever comes down.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, most of the Game Crazies in town still had Taiki for $17.99 new. Doubt if they will still be around when they hit that price at TRU.

[quote name='coolsteel']What a difference ten percent makes, went to the Laurel, MD store today, went last week and pretty much everything was still hanging around. Went tonight and christ what a surprise. PSP's were gone, but at 175 that is no big surprise. But I couldn't believe that damn near all the gamecube and xbox accessories were gone, just a big space. Yet oddly nearly all the ps2 accessories were still there. DS games weren't selling at all , still had a lot of those.[/QUOTE]

Did you notice if they had any PSP memory sticks left? I was holding out until they hit 50%, and they had a bunch when I was there a few weeks ago. I don't want to drive down to Laurel if there aren't any left.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']Did you notice if they had any PSP memory sticks left? I was holding out until they hit 50%, and they had a bunch when I was there a few weeks ago. I don't want to drive down to Laurel if there aren't any left.[/QUOTE]

My friend bought the last one last week actually, memory sticks went fast there.

still 20-40% here.

how do you get batenkaitos w/soudtrack for $8? here it rings up $30 - 20%

I want to buy copies to give to others, because it is fun. I paid much more and don't regret it.

are taikos w/drum only @ 20%? or the 40% accessories level?

one more thing, are action replays considered games or accessories?

[quote name='HeyGuys']still 20-40% here.

how do you get batenkaitos w/soudtrack for $8? here it rings up $30 - 20%

I want to buy copies to give to others, because it is fun. I paid much more and don't regret it.

are taikos w/drum only @ 20%? or the 40% accessories level?

one more thing, are action replays considered games or accessories?[/QUOTE]

Action Replay rung up as an accessory

Yeah I love Toysrus I got a PS2 Action Replay for $5 and a Xbox GameShark for $5... before this sale.

This sale probably makes those items more expensive.

By Toysrus youll be missed

The Phoenix, AZ one doesn't have a dang thing left. Donkey Kong Bongos and Taiko Drum Master were both in stock, those were the highlights I guess. So don't bother unless you are really bored in Phoenix.

bread's done
Back