8MB cache, 8x DVD+R/RW burner for $80 at CompUSA! Is it must-buy?

Price is decent, but similar models can be had at OfficeMax almost every week for that.

That model isn't well documented as far as Linux support, so if you're hoping to use it on a non-Windows system tread with care.

8x is a good speed but it only burns to + dvds and not -, so ur limiting urself with what u can burn on.

[quote name='WildWop']theyre rolling out with the dual-layer burners now. I'd hold out for one of those.[/quote]

Yep, i would defintely wait, with single layers you are limited to burnnig shorter length movies, or compress the video (lower quality) or split it onto two discs. If you need to back up data or something else, just shove it on cdrs until the better stuff come out.

[quote name='jkam']- media has more compatibility with stand-alone dvd players. So I would get a +/- drive.[/quote]

Actually, I have a +/- and only have good compatibility with 4 different DVD players using + media.

But yeah, get a +/- if you can, that way you're guaranteed compatibility (even if you end up having to return/exchange media due to incompatibility)

I agree...+/- is the only way to go. I haven'tr run into any compatibility issues with a Plextor burner that can do both. However, I did pay for the Plextor name and quality......but it has NEVER burned a coaster...

It's too bad that the Apple powerbooks don't support + media burning...

Good points, all, but no one's said anything about the 8MB cache! Or is that b/c it's not a big deal? Also, don't forget the software...

bread's done
Back