8x AGP a last Hurrah!

Kenrik

CAGiversary!
Since I have been getting all of these great deals on steam I figure it's best not to abuse my poor Macbook Pro and switch over to a desktop.

Ok so I have had a computer sitting around for a while not being used.
It's an old Gigabit GA 7N400 Pro2 board with 8x AGP, 2 Gigs DDR2 and a AMD 3000+

I'm looking to put in the best 8x AGP card I can (what are they now like $100?) overclock the heck out of it and run it until it burns down.

I would like to be able to get better performance than my 8600M GT can muster but I have not been keeping up with the tech the past few years since I have been out of the PC gaming scene.

Help!

PS: it's got a 400 Watt Antec PSU.

You could pick up a 4650 ATi/AMD card and overclock that thing to hell.... actually it's not too bad of a card.

You could even pick up a 3870 and still get great framerates.

Will it run better than my 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 8600M GT though?

Or should I just scrap the idea/system lol.

Step 1

Go here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3986.0.html

Scroll down to the gaming benchmarks.

Click on the FPS numbers to see the exact setup.

Find one similar to yours.

Expect to get that many fps for your 8600m gt

Step 2
Go here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4650-agp,2383-4.html

Check out the various benchmark results of the 3850, the 4650 agp, and the 4650 pci-e (for shits and giggles)

Wide variety of games including Crysis.

Expect to get similar fps if your setup is similar

Step 3
Consider if its worth it to you.

Step 4
If its worth it to you to get a 3850 or a 4650, look up the amp requirements of the cards.

Look up the amp output of your power supply

Is it enough?

Step 5,6, and/or 7
5. Don't buy that shit.
6. Buy that shit.
7. Buy a new power supply and then buy that shit.

Step 8
Get called a lazy fuck by crystalklear64 because he found all this shit using google.

You are a lazy fuck.

lol Never mind.. I found a review of the 4670 AGP where it was getting 12fps on medium with a 2800+

Haha, My Macbook Pro runs Crysis at 35 - 40 fps on medium @1440x900.

I guess I could always use the machine as a server...

[quote name='Kenrik']lol Never mind.. I found a review of the 4670 AGP where it was getting 12fps on medium with a 2800+

Haha, My Macbook Pro runs Crysis at 35 - 40 fps on medium @1440x900.

I guess I could always use the machine as a server...[/QUOTE]
The problem is your outdated cpu.//// overclock the cpu and you will get more frames. A highish end video card is a waste of money for that cpu and it would be better overall just to get a new pc.

[quote name='darkeden']The problem is your outdated cpu.//// overclock the cpu and you will get more frames. A highish end video card is a waste of money for that cpu and it would be better overall just to get a new pc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll just wait and keep using my Macbook Pro. I get a 5800 in 3dmark 06 which I think is pretty good for a laptop.

bread's done
Back