90% of Sony Music Unlimted for PS+

[quote name='Saablic']You mean how they were investigated and shown to have properly encrypted and protected CC info according to law? Maybe how credit card companies said there saw no evidence of stolen credit card numbers from Sony?

I can see being very protective of your information but it isn't like Sony didn't properly protect your info.[/QUOTE]

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.
Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. Sony's security is probably better than most others now, but I'm not going to chance it. Same deal with MS....If I can't do with a prepaid card, I'm not going to do it.

[quote name='K_G']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. Sony's security is probably better than most others now, but I'm not going to chance it. Same deal with MS....If I can't do with a prepaid card, I'm not going to do it.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of a pre-paid card or not, they still require your name, address, etc etc. So your reasoning makes no sense to me.

[quote name='K_G']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. Sony's security is probably better than most others now, but I'm not going to chance it. Same deal with MS....If I can't do with a prepaid card, I'm not going to do it.[/QUOTE]
They were operating under the legal requirements. All it really proved was that anyone can get hacked. And there was never any proof ANY CC info was actually stolen from Sony. So, I can understand being cautious about your CC info but unless you refuse to shop online or anything you're still at risk. And all that personal info is readily available all over the place. You have a facebook? There's more personal info there that's actively being sold. So, I wouldn't worry about what hackers can get to from Sony.
[quote name='RainFall']Can i stream over two devices at once? For example, if my wife is listening at home while i listen on my phone on the road.[/QUOTE]
Nope

[quote name='GT']No Led Zeppelin means no buy for me.[/QUOTE]

You ONLY listen to Led Zeppelin? Must be tough not having anything new to listen to for over 30 years...

Do you know what personal data is? It's not your credit card info. It's your name, address, e-mail, etc. that you probably have on a million websites by now.

[quote name='Kazuya']You ONLY listen to Led Zeppelin? Must be tough not having anything new to listen to for over 30 years...[/QUOTE]

From PC Mag review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401747,00.asp

"If you want to listen to metal, comedy, or modern pop music, Music Unlimited is the service for you. If you want to listen to the greatest rock bands of all time, you'll need to buy the albums. "

On this, I judge this service not for me. Probably wouldn't use it anyways, I'm fine with free Pandora. But I'm sure lots of people can benefit from this 90% off deal, hard to pass on if you want MU.

Sorry for the dumb question but how is this better than let's say Grooveshark? Like I can't wrap my head around paying for something we already have for free.

How is it for indie music or rarities? I might be more interested if there's stuff on there from labels like Captured Tracks or Vice. Any singles/b-sides/rarities, or are we mostly talking album tracks here?

So I was able to get the app working on my Galaxy S2. I'll have a look at their library later before deciding if I wanna jump in.

When I used the trial, back when the service started, they had a really poor selection of music. It was mainly just really big mainstream acts, hard to find good indie or alternative artists.

[quote name='Jotamide']Sorry for the dumb question but how is this better than let's say Grooveshark? Like I can't wrap my head around paying for something we already have for free.[/QUOTE]

well its better because you have the privilege of paying Sony and jumping through their hoops which is quite a privilege otherwise Grooveshark is better in just about every conceivable way

[quote name='JiveT']well its better because you have the privilege of paying Sony and jumping through their hoops which is quite a privilege otherwise Grooveshark is better in just about every conceivable way[/QUOTE]

Seriously, enough with the childish responses in this thread.

To give a fair answer, you get mobile streaming on Android/iOS. no advertisements, unlimited song skips. Kinda like Grooveshark has you pay for too.

Also, thanks to czissis for the tip on side loading this app onto my Nexus 7. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=113791

Does anyone know if the desktop or android app scrobble to last.fm? As petty as it is, it is a dealbreaker for me. I just like keeping up with my listening habits.

I just signed up. I figured for a buck a month, who cares. It won't auto renew if I don't like it and forget about it, but either way a buck is nothing to be able to listen to whatever I want on my Vita. It's a no brainer really.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Hmmm I am able to log in via PS3 and PC via the Music Sync app. But it just took a really long time for the upload to start, but it is working now. The odd thing is that it has uploaded a song that I do not have...something from 100 Traditional Yiddish, Hebrew, and Jewish Folk Classics.

Does it upload your actual songs or does it try to find the song in their own library?[/QUOTE]

You probably already figured it out but I think it only adds the songs that are in its database. Don't know why it uploaded random songs.

Click the Music Sync button and Music Unlimited will scan your personal computer, match all your songs and playlists** and import them into your cloud library

[quote name='Saix_XIII']

Does it upload your actual songs or does it try to find the song in their own library?[/QUOTE]

"Music Sync uses Gracenote™ Music ID technology to check the coded track information metadata stored in the digital music files.

Music Sync does not copy the music files; it matches the file data with the Music Unlimited catalogue and then adds these tracks to your library."
http://us.support.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966

They update the catalog regularly, so it would probably pay to run the scan/sync every now and then to catch any new additions. I downloaded the sync and pointed it at my itunes library (about 10k items) and its been running for almost 24hrs. Admittedly I should have excluded the iibrary so it didnt parse movies, tv shows etc and used the folders for the music - but dont expect it to run as fast as iTunes match..

EDIT: Its just progressed from scanning, to analyzing and now finally onto 'uploading files'. It looks like it isn't actually uploading anything, but is finally adding stuff into my MU library.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rockstarnati']It's the same with Spotify. Not so bothersome for me though. I just get cut off on the PC when the wife is using it in the car. And as much as I love Spotify, I think I'm gonna have to switch. $12 a year sounds better than $120.[/QUOTE]
that's weird, i use spotify on my droid, and lets just say there may be 2 other phones out there who use the same account, maybe they stole my info, and lets just say they play music all at the same time without any trouble, although i've been trying to track down the culprits. and my PC version works fine when these culprits are using my account as well, so not sure why you're getting cut off, been doing this for months.

this price is still sick tho, i wish i wasn't so heavily invested in xbox, psn+ is crazy good value its just, i don't feel like buying new arcade sticks, so many controllers, etc. by the time i do ps4 will be out and that is more likely to rip me off the stupid xbox tree

does the droid app have last.fm integration?

edit: i thought about why mine works and yours doesn't. i never made an actual spotify account, its just linked to my fb. so when i log in on devices, my phone or others, i log in with my fb password (this doesn't force me to log into the actual fb app or anything silly however, its just convenient it uses the same pw and email). that might be why mine works everywhere, i never made any account information directly with spotify, so maybe if you never signed up for an original pw and only used the linked fb to sign up, itll work everywhere. otherwise doesn't make sense, i've seriously had songs running from 4 diff sources before with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
My impressions so far:

Used my psn wallet money to subscribe. It didn't ask for any CC info.

Having trouble trying to load the SMU app on my PC. It takes too long and then tells me to restart the app which I have done repeatedly for the last hour. Also took me to their Japanese site twice when I tried to log on..

It loaded fine on my ps3 before but it wasn't smooth either as it gives me a network connection error when I put in a non-specific term on search. (Search is fine if you enter a popular artist's name)

Music catalog seems OK. No Beatles or Led Zeppelin I could live with. Haven't really checked most of the library but I'm surprised to see no All Eyez on Me from 2Pac, for example.

I have no idea how to gauge music quality as they sound similar to the mp3s I get from Amazon or from zune pass, which I had before.

I liked the service yesterday, but the server has been down all day for me today. Can't connect with my phone, Vita or PC.

App works on my Samsung Galaxy Blaze. Haven't tried much with it but it streamed fine with no problems all night at work for me.

So far a no-brainer at this price.

i'm really enjoying this, i picked it up for the price and it's totally worth it. I download a lot from the likes of amazon, itunes, and "other sites ;)", so this saves me that hassle now.

great to have on my ipad, iphone, etc as well. Thanks for pointing this deal out

Anyone know if the promotion is limited to a single year's subscription? In other words, can I subscribe to 2 or more years?

bread's done
Back