99% sure eBay buyer trying to pull a scam on me

aem

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So I started selling on eBay in February of this year and sold several hundreds of items, mostly gaming stuff. Everything has been good until now and now this week I seem to be getting the bad buyers.

I sell an AS-IS defective PS3 (40GB model) that works except for the disc drive. I clearly state in my auction that it is as-is with no returns. In my returns section I even say something about if something is wrong with your order you gotta contact me within 3 days after delivery. Today, a week after it was delivered I get this message from him "when i turn on the ps3 it turns off itself line in 2 secs ...."

A little late telling me this don't you think. Well the plot thickens. Just hours before he bought this from me he bought another as-is defective 40GB PS3 from someone else. Luckily that guy already left feedback so I could see this and guess what the other PS3 is "as-is powers off" with the seller guessing a bad power supply. He answered someone's question:

Q: so when you turn it on in the back does the light in the front come on the red one?? and when you hit the power in the front does it go green then yellow then flashing red .

A: no, when flipped on in the rear, the light is red for standby, then when you hit power it beeps, goes green and instantly loses all power, wotn turn on again till the cord is uplugged

I don't think this could be a more obvious scam. Most likely he swapped my good power supply into the other PS3 and is trying to get a refund for the one he bought from me. I'm clearly not going to allow a return, but I'm worried he will go to PayPal and hopefully they are smart enough not to side with him when I say as is no returns, but even beyond that he could leave neg fb and try to do a chargeback if he happened to pay with CC?

Never dealt with anything like this so trying to get prepared if this happens. Any advice? I wrote the other guy he purchased from with questions and its late now, but hopefully he'll message me back tomorrow. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see and then reply to the scammer. This guy doesn't have feedback that points right away to scammer, but unless he mixed up the PS3's on accident I can't imagine he isn't trying to pull something here.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens is try asking him if he opened the PS3 at all. If you're lucky he says yes and you have absolutely nothing to worry about, hes screwed then.

If he says no, say he had 3 days to report a problem and since he took over double that time and its an as-is you're sorry but hes on his own. Then talk to eBay customer service when he gives you negative feedback.

Lastly he'll open a claim with paypal, when the claim gets opened you have a chance to respond. Respond QUICKLY so pay pal doesn't award him as no response counts as a "no contest" and he wins. If you tell pay pal that he had knowledge of it being as-is and didn't contact w/in the time as well as he bought another product, you'll probably be OK.

Look up eBay seller protection policy. Worst case scenario you check to see if its opened and check the serial numbers. If they differ from what you sold screw him hard for trying to scam you.

Sorry for the block of text. Only my 2nd post.

I got this as defective, just reselling it on eBay. The seal was already gone when I acquired it. The seal was also gone on the other PS3 he ordered from the other seller.

Since you said "as-is no returns" in the eBay auction, you will have nothing to worry about really as long as you continue to fight. I see no reason you will lose this, as long as you can prove that your auction said "no returns" (just send the link to Paypal).

That is why you should keep the serial numbers and info of anything you sell, as switches do happen from scammers. If the serials were different from the one you sold him, then he has nothing he can do.

Oh I do keep the serial numbers of consoles. But that will do little good if what he did is take the working power supply from my console and put in a bad one which I suspect.

But all I've heard so far is that one thing from him. He may be understanding or have accidentally mixed up the consoles. It just looks really suspicious right now.

Update: The other seller wrote me back and guess what. It was delivered to him yesterday, same day he messaged me! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back