______ is underrated, IMO

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
What game(s) do you think is underrated?

I'd go with the recent gameplay glitched and mutiplayer poor Medal of Honor.

Yeah, it had a media circus around it, the mutiplayer was undercooked, and it didn't ship perfect, but I think the story made up for it, yet was largely ignored because of the problems it had. Everything I've heard, read, or the real life SpecOps interviews I've seen talked about their battlefield brothers were their family. The end of that game got that point through(as it was supposed to be based on real experiences by Teir 1 guys). And the end had a very well worded salute to those hardest of hardcore guys that put it all on the line for their county and its citizens. Even if you hate what the military is doing, you have to respect the commitment of the troops, and I think the game gets the point across.

So, IMO, the last third of the game made up for its problems.

I also enjoyed Medal of Honor quite a bit.

One game I played this year that I thought was underrated was Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine. I thought it was one of the most fun games in recent memory.

:360: Stoked

I dont even like snowboarding games, and this made me feel like i was playing 1080 Snowboarding on N64. Tons of fun.

Earth Defense Force:Insect Armageddon

The gameplay is so basic,yet the game is really hard to put down.A real blast to play with a friend.

Another one would be Splatterhouse,was a fun Beat 'em up,despite a couple of flaws.

Also Dark Sector,which was a nice mix of Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulletstorm is the most underrated game I've played this generation. It was freaking awesome.

[quote name='themaster20000']Earth Defense Force:Incest Armageddon

The gameplay is so basic,yet the game is really hard to put down.A real blast to play with a friend.

Another one would be Splatterhouse,was a fun Beat 'em up,despite a couple of flaws.

Also Dark Sector,which was a nice mix of Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with Splatterhouse and Dark Sector. They didn't seem to get any attention when they released.

Not sure if I agree with Incest Armageddon though. Is a game like that legal? ;)

Infinite Undiscovery -- far from flawless, but it actually turns into a well-made, enjoyable JRPG after the terrible opening section

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand -- super fun co-op game

Dragon Age II -- I liked it a lot more than Origins, aside from the map reuse everything else was an improvement

BioShock 2 -- Similar to Dragon Age, it surprises me that most people think of this game as a letdown after the first one, I thought it was an improvement in every way, the multiplayer is great too

Double Fine Happy Action Theater -- the unsung hero of the Kinect, this game does everything right and is just a ton of fun

[quote name='whoknows']Definitely agree with Splatterhouse and Dark Sector. They didn't seem to get any attention when they released.

Not sure if I agree with Incest Armageddon though. Is a game like that legal? ;)[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it is but it's so damn chessy,simple,and mindless that you'll find it hard to stop playing.Best 10 bucks I spent in awhile.

Also forgot to add Silent Hill: Downpour to my list.Haven't finished it yet,but so far it's the best one since the third game.It's a big step in the right for western developed Silent Hill games.

[quote name='themaster20000']
Also forgot to add Silent Hill: Downpour to my list.Haven't finished it yet,but so far it's the best one since the third game.It's a big step in the right for western developed Silent Hill games.[/QUOTE]

I just beat that yesterday and it was great. It has a fair share of technical issues, but the open world aspect was very well done, and certain side missions were some of the best and most memorable I've played in any game.

[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the sequel to another underrated game, Earth Defense Force: Under 17.

Phantom 2040 for the SNES/Genesis. Similar to Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's not quite as good as those two games but it's a lot closer than you might think.

killswitch and psi ops. killswitch was the first to do what alot of games are doing now and psi ops was just badass. oh yeah R.A.D or robot alchemic drive best giant robot game ever needs a sequel with move controls. oh yeah the suffering series was another under appreciated one would have been nice to see one this gen.

Killswitch for me as well. It had a very strong cover-system that just wasn't seen back in those days and had a passable story to boot. Very well done game that was like a father to the Gears of Wars of today.

Kane & Lynch (1 and 2). Clearly the guys making it were, like me, big Michael Mann fans, as we get shootouts inspired by Heat, Collateral, Miami Vice, etc. I dug the switch to handheld camera style in the second game, the aesthetic felt like The Shield. Multiplayer was also fresh and innovative, with you wondering if you could trust your fellow players, or if you should turn on them before they do the same to you.

[quote name='lokizz']killswitch and psi ops. killswitch was the first to do what alot of games are doing now and psi ops was just badass. oh yeah R.A.D or robot alchemic drive best giant robot game ever needs a sequel with move controls.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of them.

[quote name='GhostShark']Costume Quest.[/QUOTE]
I almost put Costume Quest. Depends on what sense of "underrated." It was fairly well-received I think. But I would say it's in the top 5 or 10 RPGs of the current gen and the best turn-based RPG since Persona 4.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I almost put Costume Quest. Depends on what sense of "underrated." It was fairly well-received I think. But I would say it's in the top 5 or 10 RPGs of the current gen and the best turn-based RPG since Persona 4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I barely included it, but I had no idea the game even existed until about a month ago, so that's why. I can say I had a lot more fun with this game than I did with something like FFXIII or Blue Dragon.

Bionic Commando - Don't think it deserved the shit reviews it got. The combat and swinging mechanics was so satisfying. But the story is something I'd like to forget.

Tenchu Z - First off let me say it's clunky and a very VERY unpolished game, but when it comes to ninja simulation this is it (not that there's much to choose from) I never hear anyopne talk about this game. Online Co-op was a blast. I always thought From Software needs to make another Tenchu with Tenchu Z as it's template.

Mirrors Edge - Again this is another game I would've loved to see pop out a few more sequels. It was diffrent and the concept had legs.

Couple more off the top of my head:
Blue Dragon
Viking
Conan
Lost Planet 2
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

I forgot about infinite undiscovery and psi ops.

IU was rough in the first part, the "wander around in the dark" level was awful. The end of the game had much more of a story turn than most JRPG. I really enjoyed it.

PsiOps had some of the earliest truly grusome scenes that I can remember. I don't think I finished it, but enjoyed it during a rentel.

mirrors edge was good i still say you take that engine tweak it and slap in a tenchu game and youd have a hell of a franchise.

Wheel Man. Ramming the fuck out of cars and flying from one car to another to hi-jack it was pretty ridiculous but fun lol. It's been 3 years since I've played it though so I might have a different opinion if I were to play it again.

That applies to Alone in the Dark. I was going to list it but I had the misfortune of playing it over again a few months ago for the first time in 3 years as well. I had got my hands on the PS3 version and was like, "Ehh I'll play it again, I don't remember it being that bad." God, it was awful. I don't know how I put up with those controls back then.

Infinite Undiscovery was probably one of my favorite RPGs I've played this gen. That probably has to do with the fact that all combat is done in the open world. First JRPG I played that was like that, the only other one I've played is Magna Carta 2 with a similar battle system.

Loved Bulletstorm and Bioshock 2. Medal of Honor was great fun but the end and the online modes both sucked out loud.

I enjoyed Kane and Lynch 2 a lot, even though my playing partner hated it.

Every week I cross my fingers and hope that R.A.D. will be announced as a PS2 classic on the PSN. That was such a cool, unique game that just never took off. The engrish was pretty funny too, look out for that giant robot Mika Bawr-haw-wah!

Speaking for games that were "underrated" in the sense that they were both critically and commercially unsuccessful, I think Red Faction Armageddon doesn't get enough props. They improved alot of things from RFG: better art style, a decent story (or at least an attempt at one), the magnet gun, and a better geomod engine. The main thing people seem to complain about is that it was no longer an open-world game, and I was concerned about that beforehand, but I really didn't end up missing it. RFG's open world wasn't exactly the most "open world"; a good bit of the map forced you into paths surrounded by mountains and when you could explore there wasn't much to look for except red dirt. RF:A may have been linear, but it still had plenty more giant objects to destroy than its predecessor.

That applies to Alone in the Dark. I was going to list it but I had the misfortune of playing it over again a few months ago for the first time in 3 years as well. I had got my hands on the PS3 version and was like, "Ehh I'll play it again, I don't remember it being that bad." God, it was awful. I don't know how I put up with those controls back then.
I was actually going to include AitD. It certainly has its share of problems, but I thought the gameplay was (and still is) pretty fun and unique. The controls do take some getting used to though.

[quote name='iamsmart']I was actually going to include AitD. It certainly has its share of problems, but I thought the gameplay was (and still is) pretty fun and unique. The controls do take some getting used to though.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair they did do some pretty unique things with it. I remember the first time playing it I got stuck on this one part because I had no idea what to do. I had to make a Molotov with a Bandage, put double sided tape on it and stick it on a spider so it would take it through this vent and burn something on the other side. Never in a million years would I have thought to do that.

The Lighter + Spray combo was also pretty cool. The controls and some of the things that happened were just crappy as hell though. I remember I was driving a car once and I somehow died when I tried to run over one of the big guys. Jumping ramps was also pretty frustrating. Can't count how many times I would hit some invisible piece of wall and just fall down to my death lol.

Since were bringing up underrated ps2 games,I'll mention Shadow of Rome.Awesome action game,mixed with decent stealth sections.Shame that it didn't sell at all,since the game hints at a sequel.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='themaster20000']Incest Armageddon
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='themaster20000']Incest
[/QUOTE]

Worst typo possible.

^I LOL'd when I first saw that typo.

Underated games in my opinion:
PS2 Eye Toy Kinetic (See the Star Wars videos on youtube.)
Dreamcast Typing of the Dead or Skies of Arcadia
Original Xbox Silent Scope Complete
DS Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars or Hotel Dusk
360 Raiden Fighters Aces
PS3 Valkyria Chronicles
Wii Counter Force
PSP Gitarooman Lives

[quote name='whoknows']I just beat that yesterday and it was great. It has a fair share of technical issues, but the open world aspect was very well done, and certain side missions were some of the best and most memorable I've played in any game.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Deadly Premonition.

Driver: San Francisco is underrated.

Just got it on Sun. from the Steam sale. One of, if not THE best in the Driver series. Gameplay is just really solid.

[quote name='platinumdragon7']The PlayStation Move is underrated.[/QUOTE]

more like under utilized. theres alot of potential in that thing but to look at how sony uses it they never had a real plan as far as what they wanted to do with it. didnt they have a kind of zelda game planned for it?

[quote name='lokizz']more like under utilized. theres alot of potential in that thing but to look at how sony uses it they never had a real plan as far as what they wanted to do with it. didnt they have a kind of zelda game planned for it?[/QUOTE]

For a SONY-related system? I don't envision that.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']For a SONY-related system? I don't envision that.[/QUOTE]

3D Dot Game Heroes is a "kind of zelda" game on the PS3

[quote name='bigpimpin24']3D Dot Game Heroes is a "kind of zelda" game on the PS3[/QUOTE]

Not an actual Zelda game though. Unless somebody was going to make Zalda for the Playstation and got it confused for Zelda, I don't see Link coming to anything but Nintendo systems.

bread's done
Back