a 10,000 RPM drive in a ps3?!?!?

kurokubushi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Theres a guy who i was talking to who wants to but this harddrive in his ps3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Tpk=Western Digital WD3000BLFS VELOCI RAPTOR

He claims it will Help reduce download and game install times.

Now I'm not all that tech savy but I cant help but think this is a really bad idea. First off this things going to be alot hotter, not to metion louder than the 5200 drives that the ps3 was built around. Would a ps3 even be able to funtion with a drive like this, let alone handel the increase in heat?

There are a few tests I read and there is no SIGNIFICANT difference. If you have massive cash to blow, then sure, go for it. A 3.5 drive (linked one) won't fit, but you could hook it up outside the case with a little modding.

If he really wants to improve downloading times, tell him to upgrade his internet connection. And, even then, Sony's servers aren't even the fastest to begin with, so idk if a new connection would make any difference.

Actually that drive would fit in a PS3 if you READ the discription.
"the 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor is enclosed in a backplane-ready 3.5-inch enterprise-class mounting frame with a built-in heat sink"

but...you friend is still an idiot, if you going to buy a HD for your PS3 get a 200-320 2.5 5400 rpm.

also where did you read that the HD in the PS3 cost $200 ?

[quote name='Gspoon']Actually that drive would fit in a PS3 if you READ the discription.
"the 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor is enclosed in a backplane-ready 3.5-inch enterprise-class mounting frame with a built-in heat sink"

but...you friend is still an idiot, if you going to buy a HD for your PS3 get a 200-320 2.5 5400 rpm.

also where did you read that the HD in the PS3 cost $200 ?[/quote]

Yeah, and have you ever tried to take a VelociRapter off of that heat sink? Good luck with that and not having it overheat.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Yeah, and have you ever tried to take a VelociRapter off of that heat sink? Good luck with that and not having it overheat.[/quote]

I just stated it was possible....and stupid ;)

I sure as hell would not do, it if i buy a VelociRaptor its going in my gaming rig not my PS3.

[quote name='Gspoon']Actually that drive would fit in a PS3 if you READ the discription.

also where did you read that the HD in the PS3 cost $200 ?[/quote]

I said 5200 not $200, I was talking baout the 5400 rpm drives that the ps3 was desined for, but I accidenty put 5200 instead. Well my freind still insists on doing this, but when his ps3 explodes into a massive fireball, i just say "I told you so"

[quote name='HowStern']Yeah apparently the difference in load times is unnoticeable.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/138288/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-does-ps3-hard-drive-speed-matter/[/quote]

IGN did a similar article a couple of years ago and they noticed the same thing regarding RPMs. However, they did notice a pretty good improvement when they used a 16MB cache drive vs an 8MB cache drive. Considering almost all of the 7200 RPM 2.5" drives sold now also have 16MB of cache, you will see an improvement.

It's actually getting harder to find 5400 RPM drives of 320GB or more now. It seems the larger drives are all moving towards 7200 RPM.

[quote name='kurokubushi']I said 5200 not $200, I was talking baout the 5400 rpm drives that the ps3 was desined for, but I accidenty put 5200 instead. Well my freind still insists on doing this, but when his ps3 explodes into a massive fireball, i just say "I told you so"[/quote]

My bad i guess i saw 5200 and thought $200 maybe i need new glasses.
Post some pics of your buddy destroying his ps3 when he gets around to it.
I would like to see "The Real PS3 Grill"

[quote name='Richlough']I'd settle for a 7200 .

Anyone know anybody that put one in thier PS3 ?[/QUOTE]

I out a 200GB 7200rpm HDD in mine, I noticed some differences in load times, nothing too drastic but an improvement non the less.

Yes it definately will work but may cause issue in heat and getting the yellow light issue

Good idea nonetheless.

[quote name='Onmicide']Yes it definately will work but may cause issue in heat and getting the yellow light issue

Good idea nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

It has been proven that MOST 7200 rpm HDD's don't cause much more than if any heat than their 5400 counterparts. That's the reason why I when with one in mine. Because I figured a speed increase(what amount varies)it's worth it.

bread's done
Back