A few questions about the current and future of the PS3

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Hey guys--after buying both a Wii and a 360, I'm realizing the 360 just has to go. I'm just not liking the 360's game selection.

Anyways, I may get a PS3. A few questions:

1. For those who use Wi-Fi, how is it? Is the signal and strength pickup as good as the 360?

2. What do you guys think about the future of the PS3? It seems like PS3 has the most promise in the way of fighters and shmups--my two favorite genres. Well, that's simply speculation from what I see from the PS2 era.

3. Is it necessary to buy a warranty?

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Hey guys--after buying both a Wii and a 360, I'm realizing the 360 just has to go. I'm just not liking the 360's game selection.

1. For those who use Wi-Fi, how is it? Is the signal and strength pickup as good as the 360? I don't have a 360, but I get Very good signal, gets just as good as signal as my computer wireless USB cable.

2. What do you guys think about the future of the PS3? It seems like PS3 has the most promise in the way of fighters and shmups--my two favorite genres. Well, that's simply speculation from what I see from the PS2 era. Well, there are a lot of great looking games coming out. Heavenly Sword, Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 5, Lair, Naughty Dog game, Warhawk, and Ratchet and Clank

3. Is it necessary to buy a warranty? Yes[/quote]

Read above in bold.

If you have an Amex card, it automatically doubles the warranty from 1 yr to 2 yrs with no extra cost. Granted, it's not as simple as going to the store, but hey, it's free!

Thanks for the input on the warranty and wi-fi. Not really looking for the games you listed, I'm mostly looking to buy the console that has the most promising lineup of 2D fighters and shmups.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Thanks for the input on the warranty and wi-fi. Not really looking for the games you listed, I'm mostly looking to buy the console that has the most promising lineup of 2D fighters and shmups.[/QUOTE]

Might as well stick to the PS2 for the time being, which still has many great fighters and shmups coming out for it, and it's where SNK is still throwing most of their support with a number of collections still to be released.

AFAIK, no 2-D fighting company, be it SNK, Sammy, well... I guess that's really all these days, have mentioned 2-D on the PS3 at all (Oops I was wrong)

Hell, these days SNK seems to branching out more into 3-D... KoF, 3D Metal Slug, a new 3D Samurai Shodown is in the works.

Here is some news I found on the wiki:

In recent news, SNK has unofficially announced that their SNK arcade classics will be available for the PS3 in downloadable form

So there you go, unofficial news from SNK... it just depends if their arcade classics will be different from the compliations you can buy right now.

But in terms of new 2-D fighters, all the company has planned is King of Fighters XII, which may end up on the PS3 since I believe it's not even close to being done.

It's my speculation that 2-D pretty much dies at retail and gets relegated to DRM status, be it XBLA, Sony's online service, or the Virtual Console.

Yea, I think sometime I'll have to face it and realize that 2D is dying.

Sounds like I'd be better off investing in some older consoles rather than newer ones.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Yea, I think sometime I'll have to face it and realize that 2D is dying.

Sounds like I'd be better off investing in some older consoles rather than newer ones.[/QUOTE]

Yea, if you are a shmup / fighter fan, the PS2 still has a lot of good offerings come out this year, from SNK in particular on the fighting game front.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Hey guys--after buying both a Wii and a 360, I'm realizing the 360 just has to go. I'm just not liking the 360's game selection.

1. For those who use Wi-Fi, how is it? Is the signal and strength pickup as good as the 360?

2. What do you guys think about the future of the PS3? It seems like PS3 has the most promise in the way of fighters and shmups--my two favorite genres. Well, that's simply speculation from what I see from the PS2 era.

3. Is it necessary to buy a warranty?[/QUOTE]

1 - The WiFI is excellent... I have my router and ps3 in the same room... so I can't say how it is in terms of strenght... I haven't had any problems w/ sync, and with any drops of the connection. So overall it's good.

2 - I know the PS3 is going to have a good future. They've got a lot of good games coming out for 2007, I'll continue to be positive about the ps3 future, as long as most of those games are released without problems, or futher delay. PS3 is going to have the best library of games, simply due to its backwards compatibility.

3 - a year's warranty is good... I think that any defects will show itself within a year... bestbuy has the best warranty imo.. (cause you get a new one from their store) so if it's anyone other than bb then I'd say no.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Yea, I think sometime I'll have to face it and realize that 2D is dying.

Sounds like I'd be better off investing in some older consoles rather than newer ones.[/QUOTE]

2d isn't dying.. Look at Def Jam Icon.. even though there's some 3d movement... forthemost part.. it's basically 2d... I'm still waiting on Capcom to do a street fighter with all characters and redone sprites, and animations... whole 9 yards... one street fighter to end them all.

If sega was smart.. they'd take that Def Jam engine....and use it to create a Streets of Rage game... as a matter of fact.... the game could be downloadable...to save on costs.... playable online w/ 4 players..

Dude I don't know what kind of games you like, but if you don't like the selection for the 360 I don't see how you'd be happy with those for the PS3 as there are as of right now very few games out for it comparitively speaking.

I own all 3 systems, personally the 360 gets most of the playtime from me but my wife and kids love the wii to death.

Me and my oldest son play the PS3 some but mainly there just aren't alot of games for it - yet.

We also use both for our home theatre - blue-ray movies on the PS3 and HD-DVD on the 360. Personally I think they are both very, very good. The PS3 seems to have dropped in quality a bit with the latest 1.51 update but I would expect them to rectify that very soon.

Personally, I had a hell of a problem with the built-in PS3 wireless functionality. My router is I don't know 40-50 feet or more away from the home theatre through 2 or 3 walls. I have no problems with the wii or 360, nor with a wireless connected PC or laptop - however the PS3 would frequently drop its connection or not get connected at all.

The only solution I found that worked for me was go spend another $59 for a Belkin Wireless Gaming Adapter, hook that up to the PS3 and tell it that it was a wired connection - then the stupid damn thing was as happy as the other wireless devices in my house. Perhaps it was the wireless adapter in my PS3 but the PS3 forumns are full of other 60G owners having wirless problems as well. The above solution worked for me anyways.

TexTuna

[quote name='TexTuna']Dude I don't know what kind of games you like, but if you don't like the selection for the 360 I don't see how you'd be happy with those for the PS3 as there are as of right now very few games out for it comparitively speaking.[/QUOTE]That's kind of my problem with 360 (still a solid console though), but PS3 has been more appealing to me (I play it more). The big problem is that pretty much all my favorite 360 games are on PS2 or are coming/already on PS3 (Graphics don't affect which version I buy of games). I will admit that being able to play 260+ of my PS1/PS2 games on PS3 is a decent percentage of the reason (compared to playing 14 Xbox games on 360, with only 2-3 being my favorites).

As for the warranty, it never hurts to get one, but it seems like most PS3 consoles are working pretty good so far (compared to how Sony consoles have been in the past).

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Thanks for the input on the warranty and wi-fi. Not really looking for the games you listed, I'm mostly looking to buy the console that has the most promising lineup of 2D fighters and shmups.[/quote]

My question is, how do you know the PS3 is going to have the most promising lineup of 2d fighters and shmups? As far as I can tell, you are just taking a guess on which is going to have the most. Why don't you keep the 360 just in case it turns out to have more, and then if it doesn't buy a PS3 later on down the road? Or sell your 360, buy neither and then buy whichever one later on you think you will like more?

Sounds to me like you are just playing a guessing game on this one.

On #2......The PS3 is not the PS2. It isn't going to have anywhere close to the selection. The PS3 isn't selling enough in Japan to be the go to choice for their small developers or big console exclusive games. Square isn't even putting DQ on the PS3....that speaks volumes.

Look at companies like Treasure (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun)......developing exclusively for the XBOX 360. Outside of Tekken, I can't think of any fighter that won't show up on both platforms, and there are rumors that Tekken might be on both too.

I know that may sound lame to some - but I don't care. I have the PS2 and yes could have waited but I wanted the blueray technology - and from the moment I opened my ps3 box, I was relatively pleased and getting happier. The only grudge I hold is that there wasn't an HDMI cable in the box - but I didn't have any problems getting the system up and running on my wireless network. I never even had problems running PS2 games - outside of the quality issue. After the firmware upgrade, this thing runs like a top. The game selection is slight, but will grow, and at the end of the day, the PS3 is going to prove to be the best system out there.

[quote name='Apossum']hey, my post wasn't a bunch of empty hyperbole. I actually backed up my argument. but hey, if the sony rep is watching, pm me for a paypal address :roll:[/quote]

I was not commenting on your post. I was "suspicious" of Bruhe who only joined a few days ago and sounded like a (sane) Sony press release (if there is such a thing these days anymore).

1. wi-fi works great. For me at least, better than the signal i get from the 360 adapter.

2. Virtua Fighter, Formlua 1, and my favorite upcoming release: Motorstorm

3. If I were you, I'd buy my ps3 from Sam's Club or Costco. That lifetime warranty is just too good to pass up (and you don't need to stay a member for life either).

bread's done
Back