A gaming laptop around $700-800?

da2730da

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I've been trying to look for some good gaming laptops and the BEST I found was a custom one for around $750
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...-Pavilion-dv6z-7000-Entertainment-Notebook-PC
With:
Upgraded Screen
2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M Graphics
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M (3.0GHz/2.1GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

Seems like the best deal, but are the specs good enough to run say darksiders 2, sleeping dogs, and other new games?

I'm in the same boat, I'm ready for a new laptop, and I want to get one that's in the $700-800 range, so that I can use the free Xbox offer. I've been going back and forth on whether I want the Envy 6t, which looks nice and is thin, or the intel/Nvidia version of your laptop. I'm opting to not upgrade the screen to get the $700 price out of this version: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7455259#a

Here is a resource that you might find useful: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7730M.72678.0.html Most games seem to get 30-40 fps running on high, but that's with an intel core i7 processor. I think you'll get pretty good performance if you remember that you're not buying a $2000 gaming machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the dell outlet site you can get one with 1080p screen and an i7 for around 800 and they have a 20% off coupon good thru today.

I dont know I've read bad things about AMD driver support. Personally I'd only go with Nvidia (which is by no means perfect either). I'd just make sure whatever card you get people aren't having too many issues with it.

As for specific computers I dont know aside from the Lenovo y580 has a version that's been $800 a couple times on sale.

[quote name='ericpol']Hit the dell outlet site you can get one with 1080p screen and an i7 for around 800 and they have a 20% off coupon good thru today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you have a few weeks wait for a dell outlet sale. www.slickdeals.com usually reports all dell outlet deals. Find the model you want and refresh (F5) inventory until you get the configuration you need. Good deals and everything I have bought looks like new (even the scratch and dent).

I was in the same boat until a few days ago. I just purchased a refurb Asus G74 for $800 but I don't know how that will turn out (it's a scratch & dent model) and won't know until this Wednesday when it's delivered.

I wouldn't go with AMD's A-seris processors... they're better for multimedia than games. Plus, that graphics card isn't going to be able to handle most games any any decent resolutions. I would definitely go with an i5 or i7 for the processor or a Geforce 560m/650m graphics card.

Also, go to a store and look at a 17" laptop with a 1080p resolution and felt that most text (on websites) and details (in games) would be hard to see at times, especially since I like to lean back and use my laptop at times.

Hm, that's actually pretty damn good. I thought Diablo III was much more demanding but if a 7730 pull of almost 30 fps at 1080p, that's definitely impressive.

I've been pretty set on getting an ultrabook, but I've decided I'll just grab a thinner and lighter laptop in a year or two if people still use laptops by then. I'm going with the HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Select Edition with all this for $710, plus a free Xbox 360 that I'll sell. It's got a crappy screen, but I'll plug it into my TV to watch videos, and play some games. Only thing left to decide is if I want a backlit keyboard for an extra $25, everything else I'm happy with, unless anyone has a link to a better deal with the free Xbox.

• 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory
  • 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
  • 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)

bread's done
Back