A Good GPS System

nefaquotek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Basically my friend wants to buy a GPS dealy. I have no idea what to recommend him because I dont know how it works.

How does GPS work? Is it a service you have to pay for? Do all GPS devices have all the maps....???

What I really want to know is what you guys would recommend. A device thats exclusive to GPS, a PDA with GPS, a cell phone with GPS (though minutes might be a big deal there), OR maybe even that Japanese GPS for the PSP (which I dont know if language or map barriers might be a problem).

As for a budget I dont know if he has one but this is cheapassgamer so.....I'm expecting it not to be TOO expensive.

Well thanks for your time.

I got a garmin nuvi 350 for $500 AR which at the time was a good deal. i consider it was one of the best available.

if he has a pda, a small bluetooth gps device is pretty good for ~$80. or a laptop device, though you'd have to lug your laptop around everywhere.

[quote name='banpeikun']I got a garmin nuvi 350 for $500 AR which at the time was a good deal. i consider it was one of the best available.

if he has a pda, a small bluetooth gps device is pretty good for ~$80. or a laptop device, though you'd have to lug your laptop around everywhere.[/quote]

Interesting, and here I thought he could avoid getting a laptop by getting a PDA. Well thanks a lot. This will help him. He'll probably go for the other option.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']I just found this today.

Garmin C320. $199 shipped.

http://www.frys.com/product/4579507[/quote]

After doing oodles of homework, I ordered the above (price and features fit what I wanted). From what I've learned, the entire US map fits on a 1gig SD card. The device recognizes up to a 2 gig card. There's no subscription involved, but if you want to update your maps down the road (ha!) then it's $75 for the new version. Check Amazon for some reviews. Slickdeals had a lengthy discussion if you want more info.

[quote name='chrisnsally']After doing oodles of homework, I ordered the above (price and features fit what I wanted). From what I've learned, the entire US map fits on a 1gig SD card. The device recognizes up to a 2 gig card. There's no subscription involved, but if you want to update your maps down the road (ha!) then it's $75 for the new version. Check Amazon for some reviews. Slickdeals had a lengthy discussion if you want more info.[/quote]

I think my friend only needs The Dallas area so that would be more than enough. Thanks, this one looks great... though I'm sure the one day he actually gets lost he'll probably also have forgotten this. He only wants one because he's paranoid of getting lost.

OOO that 2GIG SD card could also work on the Wii!

bread's done
Back