a good place to buy used computer parts?

I would personally recommend not buying used computer parts. Too much of a risk for the part to be at the end of its life, or to be completely DOA, and it isn't something that can easily be tested in a quick time frame, much less proved to be for sure that part or the seller's fault.

I know that doesn't tell you where you can find them, but it's just my opinion on the matter.

Newegg.com occassionally has refurbished pieces mixed in with new, but you'll usually find comparable prices on similar new boxed or OEM parts there, so you don't usually save much over just buying new, which I second as a better way to go.

How about Radioshack? I keep seeing the ads at the bottom of this thread, a little off-topic any cheap computers in-store like Bestbuy or Circuit City?

If you are looking for old computers and parts I would head down to your local university's property disposition (AKA where the university ships used stuff to be sold, office furniture, lab equipment, computers). Usually a quick web search will give you all the info you need, and the general public is welcome. (I don't really know any houston universities or I would try the search myself).

Good Luck!

Like Granpa I mean gweenpea said. The university would be a nice place to look. I picked up some nice PC chairs a few years ago for $5 a pop.

bread's done
Back