A good way to clean your keyboard?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
My keyboard is nasty. It's a backlit Saitek so I'm concerned about using any harsh compounds or gnarly scrub brushes. It doesnt feel like the keys will pop off. Suggestions for getting in between the keys?

Can of compressed air? Should be called "Dust-Off" if I remember correctly.

Or you can unbend a paperclip and dig the dirt/dust out. That's what I do at work when I get bored and need to clean it.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Putting it in the dishwasher might work...[/quote]

..put you in the dishwasher...

Top rack in the dishwasher will work for basic keyboards but I would never trust it with a backlit one.

[quote name='klwillis45']Top rack in the dishwasher will work for basic keyboards but I would never trust it with a backlit one.[/quote]

I thought the above suggestion (prior to yours) was a joke. Seriously, I don't usually put electronics in the dishwasher.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I thought the above suggestion (prior to yours) was a joke. Seriously, I don't usually put electronics in the dishwasher.[/quote]

I thought it sounded crazy when one of my old teachers told me that trick. Then I tried it with some disgusting board I didn't really give a damn about and sunuvabitch it works. Use a lower temp if possible and make sure to go top rack only and let it dry completely.

I usually give my keyboard a good cleaning once a year. Here's what I do:

Get a bowl of lukewarm water mixed with bleach/dish soap (your choice). Pop out the keys one by one and let them soak in the water for about an hour or so. In the meantime, if the inside of your keyboard is pretty nasty use a can of air or a vacuum to remove loose particles, and then just get a cheap toothbrush to clean out between the key sockets. Dry your keys off with a towel, (or air dry). Once they're all dry you can put them back into place.

Even doing this once a year, you would be surprised at how filthy your keyboard can get.

[quote name='AshesofWake']get a straw and start suckin'[/quote]

This is the first time in my life that I have used this, LOL

Try using a cleaning wipe (disinfecting wipes). They have worked well for me, and you could incorporate Ashes' suggestion by rubbing between keys.

Use the reverse attachment on your vacuum. It'll save you cash, forget buying a can of air. Of course, that's for loose debris, for gunk, I'd do the remove the keys and soak-em trick, wiping out the rest of the board, underneath the keys, in the meantime.

Any suggestions for cleaning a laptop keyboard? Mine needs some cleaning.

Also, my nephew went into my room while I was out and started banging on the keyboard. He managed to pull/rip the "1" key off so now I have to directly click the rubber underneath. Is this fixable? Thanks.

This website gives some good suggestion on how to clean your keyboard. It came out on top when I google it. Anyway, you should clean your keyboard. It's one of the most dirtiest objects out there, despite it's clean appearance. It gradually accumulated oil in your finger tips, dirt(most of dirt is composed of dead skin) and germs. Like other said, compressed air or vacuum work just as good.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/maintenance/cleaning-keyboard.htm

I've saved many keyboards multiple times from liquid spills (mainly soft drinks) by submerging them in water and letting them air dry for a day or two.

If you spill ANYTHING acidic on your keyboard, clean it RIGHT AWAY.

I used to pop the keys off and use a q-tip and soapy water. Then clean between the keys, without having the q-tip sopping wet. But if you don't do it often, it gets so dirty you want to throw it in the trash and get a new keyboard. That's why $6 generic keyboards rule. People who buy expensive Logitech type keyboards might as well buy $1000 silk pants and not wear underwear.

bread's done
Back