a great reason to get the PSP (metal gear connectivity)

It might not be a big deal if its just camo. They can make it a download for the US version. But we won't know what it will unlock until some time later this week.

Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.

[quote name='kraid']So Sony copies Nintendo yet again.[/quote]
I didn't know that the Metal Gear series was produced by Sony. I could have sworn that a company like Konami would be the ones that are "copying" Nintendo. Hmmmm.... I guess I was totally wrong.

[quote name='kraid']Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.[/quote] Nintendo, altough the most inovative of the 3 currents comps, is not purely original. And having the consoles hookup to a visual controller...vmu/dc? And remember they sorta spawned the playstation in the first place.

[quote name='kraid']Sony made the hardware compatible with each other.[/quote]
Sony just put USB connections on each, software is required to actually take advantage of them in any way. Saying that the PS2 and PSP are "compatible" with each other would be like saying any two random electronics with USB connections are "compatible." The connections on the PS2 are for things like headsets, the EyeToy, and other peripherals, while the connection on the PSP is for reading/writing from the memory card. Sony has not gone out of their way to make connectivity possible.

Connectivity is a rip-off, hopefully this is just a one-time deal though, and not a whole Nintendo style thing that they'll try to push on us for a year.

[quote name='evilmax17']Nintendo already proved that nobody gives a damn about connectivity.[/quote]

when connectivity is done correctly, it can be great.

Also why are people so hostile to connectivity? All it is, is a bonus for the people who own both systems.

Dreamcast to Neogeo pocket, before all of them.

Connectivity is a nice little plus, an extra easter egg for fun, which is what games are all about. Strange how people seem to forget that.

[quote name='Alpha2']Saturn to Neogeo pocket, before all of them.

Connectivity is a nice little plus, an extra easter egg for fun, which is what games are all about. Strange how people seem to forget that.[/quote]

I think that might have been the Dreamcast. The only problem I have with connectivity is that they are basically making sure you buy both games instead of just automatically putting it in the game to begin with. It's cool if they use it for other reasons (maybe an additional view mode or falling down in a tunnel like in Four Swords), but for an additional character, level, or costume, it's just annoying (like Metroid Prime/Fusion).

geez, it took you 10 minutes to post that reply? I edited like five minutes after I posted, when I realized I put saturn.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='evilmax17']Nintendo already proved that nobody gives a damn about connectivity.[/quote]

when connectivity is done correctly, it can be great.

Also why are people so hostile to connectivity? All it is, is a bonus for the people who own both systems.[/quote]

I would have to say that Zelda Four Swords was the best way they have used the connectivity. Too bad we dont see much of this.

I wonder if the problem isnt onew of just not wanting to spend the time figuring out a fun way to use the devices. I dont really mind extras though as long as they're just nice cool bounuses and not things that you MUST have to have fully completed one game or the other.

[quote name='Parathod']I think that might have been the Dreamcast. The only problem I have with connectivity is that they are basically making sure you buy both games instead of just automatically putting it in the game to begin with. It's cool if they use it for other reasons (maybe an additional view mode or falling down in a tunnel like in Four Swords), but for an additional character, level, or costume, it's just annoying (like Metroid Prime/Fusion).[/quote]

Agreed, only when the second screen is useful for something, not as a lame connect it and you get this cause you spent more money!

yeah it has to have purpose, so far the only GC-GBA that was good was 4 swords, the rest was just a gimmick to get you to spend more money.

[quote name='whoknows']yeah it has to have purpose, so far the only GC-GBA that was good was 4 swords, the rest was just a gimmick to get you to spend more money.[/quote]

It was great for Pacman Vs. I love that game. :D

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='whoknows']yeah it has to have purpose, so far the only GC-GBA that was good was 4 swords, the rest was just a gimmick to get you to spend more money.[/quote]

It was great for Pacman Vs. I love that game. :D[/quote]

Yea. Great game and great use for connectivity.

Final Fantasies seemed like a good use, but it wasn't practicle for most people.

[quote name='kraid']Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.[/quote]

I am I Nintendo fan, or was, god knows what they are doing now, and I hate most of the PS2 games, that's why I don't own it, but just shut the hell up.

Why in God's name would Sony want to copy Nintendo in the hook up thing? If failed on the GC, was a terrible idea, a complete waste of money and resources.

Sony took the Eye Toy idea from Nintendo, they were going to do it with the N64, but frankly Nintendo is sitting on their asses and think they can just milk a dead Mario to even more death. Nintendo snoozed and lost because the Eye Toy is doing great.

So once again, Sony is doing things in order to make money, Nintendo is too scared to do anything and just sitting on their asses.

I think people get upset with connectivity because it isn't always just "easter eggs offered". Take the Metroid Prime connection. If you can connect and you beat Fusion, you can unlock Metroid in Metroid Prime. I want to play the original metroid, but I don't want to have to buy a GBA for it (I really don't game on the road, and I don't have a ton of gaming time at home, so I don't really need one).

Also, look at FF CC. This is a game I would buy. But, with the forced GBA connections for friends, even if I'd be willing to buy a GBA to play, my friends wouldn't be. So, there's a sale the game will never get.

Connectivity is annoying for the most part because there isn't enough of it to make buying the other system worthwhile on its own, but there is enough that you feel ripped off if you can't get it (there is no "need" to make Metroid unlockable only through connectivity, Nintendo just wanted to gain more sales. At least FF CC use of connectivity makes a valid argument that it should be set up that way).

[quote name='kraid']Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.[/quote]
The only difference is Sony might actually make people care about their connectivity.

[quote name='oddjob93'][quote name='kraid']Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.[/quote]
The only difference is Sony might actually make people care about their connectivity.[/quote]

How? Most of the people here don't care.

It's a gimick, that's it. No one will buy a PSP just to connect to the PS2.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='oddjob93'][quote name='kraid']Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah that's right Nintendo has been doing that for a long time with their GBA and GC. So Sony copies Nintendo yet again. I wonder if Sony also sees this as a gimmick. Give me a break.[/quote]
The only difference is Sony might actually make people care about their connectivity.[/quote]

How? Most of the people here don't care.

It's a gimick, that's it. No one will buy a PSP just to connect to the PS2.[/quote]

You're right, but people who buy a PSP might like to have some sort of connectivity. I can think of multiple applications where it could be very useful. For instance, there's been some criticism on how the PSP is going to just wind up with a bunch of PS2 ports, but that could work to it's advantage if you could play the game on the go and then transfer the data to the console version (most practical in games like RPGs, Tactical Games, and GT4 where you need to build up stats). Also, they could have a person control a second character through the PSP in games where it's impossible to squeeze to characters on the same screen. I don't think that connectivity is hated, it just hasn't been utilized properly. Nobody likes to buy 2 games, but if you build a game around connectivity (Four Swords, Being able to transfer NES games to your GBA in Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy:CC, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, The Donkey Kong game where you design levels and play them on the Gamecube) there is amazing potential. The reason why it fell apart is because Nintendo (and other companies) decided to use it for other purposes. What's left over is people using Gameshark to unlock certain things in games that shouldn't require the purchase of another game or GBA.

bread's done
Back