A keyboard (mechanical) - a help/question thread.

AgentW

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
So I'm looking at keyboards for my new computer and I've come to the conlclusion that mechanical seems nicer, and works great for both games and work stuff. I'm really like the Cherry Browns, and I'm looking at the Das Professional S Silent, and the Ducky Shine (but it's so much).

So any recommendations of brands or models, especially cherry brown, and if you're especially awesome, backlit models?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this thread here. Hopefully you're still shopping around.

I just bought a Rosewill mechanical with Reds a few weeks ago. It's amazing. I understand that MX Browns require a similar actuation force to Reds but they have a slight tactile bump. If you are looking to do more typing then maybe get Browns. It's do hard to decide without an easy way to try first. I play BF3, and this board has seriously upped my game.

If you want a decent backlit board you will need to budget about $140. Even then the quality of the Ducky Shining isn't as good as what you could get for the same price from Filco (non backlit) although it is cool that you can choose to have only WASD light up with a push of a button.

If you are looking to buy on a budget, get the Rosewill with browns. It can be as cheap as $80 on sale sometimes. Filco is also good ($140). both are OEMed by Costar. Also the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid, but they don't have Browns yet.

When you buy one of these keyboards understand you will be using it for many many years. They are solidly built and will last a long time.

I have a Filco mechanical keyboard as well (FKB104M/EB), which seems to be about the same as the Rosewill one with cherry brown switches from the pictures I've seen. I really like it, especially compared the old cheap keyboard it replaced. (I decided I didn't want to have buy a new keyboard every year or two when a couple of frequently used keys would wear out). It's weighted a bit so it won't slide around, and the key action is really nice.

I got mine from http://elitekeyboards.com, but they seem to have to changed brands from Filco to Leopold (something about supply issues). I went with the cherry brown switches since my ergonomic keyboard at work used them (Kinesis Advantage), and I do try and do some typing (programming) work on my machine, and not just gaming.

I've never had a backlit keyboard on my desktop machine, so I really don't have any recommendations there.

Got a Ducky Shine with browns a month ago and I love it. I wanted a great mechanical keyboard with full backlighting and this really delivered. You're right about the cost though, it's fairly expensive.

Razer just released a Blackwidow model with browns, the "Ultimate Stealth", so that might be good to take a look at as well.

Donno what you guys are talking about "upping your game", I use a $2 compact usb dell keyboard that I got from the thrift store years ago with my $10 mx518 and I still own people left and right; best player in my clan against everyone who use $300 devices. I'm not an overly fantastic player in competitions, but I hold my own.

It's never about the quality of the inputs of the computer, its how well your level of perception, responsiveness and cognitive abilities associated with your pre-frontal cortex as part of your frontal lobe, dealing with high level thought patterns to effectively make quick, calculating risk management decisions as you see fit; not to mention the ability to relay spacial motor functions from your sensory input of the visual cortex in the occipital lobe, the auditory cortex in the temporal lobe and spacial orientation functions with the parietal lobe through your thalamus to your central nervous system. Also how well developed your neurons are in different parts of your body as well as the chemical interactions of neurotransmitters between the axon terminals to the Dendrites. Your diet can dictate the level and speed of your neurons, as well as regular use of physical and metal muscles.

So what does this mean? It means you need to play Sudoku to free your mind and "build up" your frontal lobe. Like anything, practice makes you die more often, rage more quickly and give an over-active thinking ability to squelch the little piss ant 14 year old players with cat like reflexes and snappy comebacks to their bitchiness when they call you out as a hacker.

[quote name='JBaz']Donno what you guys are talking about "upping your game", I use a $2 compact usb dell keyboard that I got from the thrift store years ago with my $10 mx518 and I still own people left and right; best player in my clan against everyone who use $300 devices. I'm not an overly fantastic player in competitions, but I hold my own.

It's never about the quality of the inputs of the computer, its how well your level of perception, responsiveness and cognitive abilities associated with your pre-frontal cortex as part of your frontal lobe, dealing with high level thought patterns to effectively make quick, calculating risk management decisions as you see fit; not to mention the ability to relay spacial motor functions from your sensory input of the visual cortex in the occipital lobe, the auditory cortex in the temporal lobe and spacial orientation functions with the parietal lobe through your thalamus to your central nervous system. Also how well developed your neurons are in different parts of your body as well as the chemical interactions of neurotransmitters between the axon terminals to the Dendrites. Your diet can dictate the level and speed of your neurons, as well as regular use of physical and metal muscles.

So what does this mean? It means you need to play Sudoku to free your mind and "build up" your frontal lobe. Like anything, practice makes you die more often, rage more quickly and give an over-active thinking ability to squelch the little piss ant 14 year old players with cat like reflexes and snappy comebacks to their bitchiness when they call you out as a hacker.[/QUOTE]

Nobody in here said anything about "upping your game", we're just talking about mechanical keyboards.

bread's done
Back