A little help with Samsung tv please

graphicv9

CAG Veteran
Hi all I was hoping I could get a little help here. After all this talk about hdtv and xbox 360 I thought I'd go out and buy one. Long story short went to Sams club and bought this

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/SPR4212XXAA.asp?page=Features

can someone please tell me what EDTV is and is this tv HDTV, I haven't opend it yet and am thinking about returning it. The guy at Sams told me it was HDTV but couldn't really answer anymore questions which I'm not too suprised about. I figured It'd be HDTV but this site says something a little bit different but isn't too clear.

http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&num=319&pnum=0

Basically, HD>ED>SD. Standard is 480i (interlaced, ED is 480p (progressive), and HD is 720p, 1080i, 1080p (which is higher resolution)

How much did you pay for it?

Well my advice is to stay away from that tv.. For one it has a built in HD tuner which is a no no since whatever cable provider you go with will give you one.. or if you plan to buy your own your better off since you can upgrade later on down the road.. with that your stuck.

2.. LCDs and Plasma will experiance "Burn in" if you pause the tv for a period of time or play games on it. since your gona play games then by all means go with a DLP TV!

Samsung makes the best DLP tv's bare none and also has the best service and support. My 2 year old 61" Samsung DLP's color wheel was squeeling.. I guess a common prob with my tv model and the tv repair guy told me i made a great desion buying a Samsung DLP since there the only manufacter that will allow them to pre stock parts.. great for me since the replacement color wheel was messed up and he only had to drive right back to the shop and get another and it was all fixed right then.. If i had any other tv then it would of been another 2-3 weeks just to get the tv fixed since they would of had to call the manufacter and get there autherization after they felt what the repair guys idea of what needed fixed what good and then he could order the part. So what only took 3 days to fix after calling them to shedual a service all would of takin weeks with any other tv manufacter.

DLP is a no brainer since its half the cost of LCD and plasma and you get a way bigger picture and the only HDTV out there that wont give you "burn in" so you can use it for gaming or even hook your computer up to it and no worries! Plus the picture is AWESOME!

Dont get a 61" if you dont have a large room.. Grab a 42-50 for a small room.

Now the only thing with this tv is that it has a special 110-200 WATT light balb that will need to be replaced once every 2-3 years and you can easily replace it yourself if you want and it wont void your warrenty. Its kind of expensive at around 200 bucks but thats it. Make sure to get the extending warrenty and that will cover the cost of the balb.

Your picture will never fade,warp or get uneven burn in or image burn in like other tvs.. It will look the same as day one years later!

Look into it man.. dont just grab a "catch phrase" tv and one that a salesman told you to buy. That plasma will prob last you maybe 1 to 2 years and you'll have to replace the fausfer

[quote name='eclypse']2.. LCDs and Plasma will experiance "Burn in" if you pause the tv for a period of time or play games on it. since your gona play games then by all means go with a DLP TV!

Now the only thing with this tv is that it has a special 110-200 WATT light balb that will need to be replaced once every 2-3 years and you can easily replace it yourself if you want and it wont void your warrenty. Its kind of expensive at around 200 bucks but thats it. Make sure to get the extending warrenty and that will cover the cost of the balb.

Your picture will never fade,warp or get uneven burn in or image burn in like other tvs.. It will look the same as day one years later![/QUOTE]

First of all, LCDs don't burn in, and Plasmas are really, REALLY tough to get burn in on. If you leave the TV paused for an hour on the same image its not going to burn in. The burn in horror stories are mostly just that - stories.

Second of all, bulbs don't go out every 2-3 years, more like 5-7 years.

And I've never heard of an LCD image fading, warping, or getting image burn. Plasmas, I've heard, do lose some image quality after 6 years or so, but they're coming to the point where now they can be fixed.

And by the way, your comment about DLP TVs being HALF the cost of LCDs is ridiculous. Where the hell are you shopping at? LCDs were $600 for a 30 inch on Black Friday. I've never seen a DLP that cheap.

eclypse thanks for the info.
I paid about 2000 dollars for it at Sams. I was out shopping all day yesterday and was tired with all those holiday shoppers so I didn't feel like going back to BB so I bought this. I think I'll be returning this and going to best buy.
One more question I'm looking at a DPL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824207007
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7297105&type=product&id=1118841599311
But it's only 720 Do you suggest getting this one or trying to look for a 1080?
Damn I can't wait anymore I still haven't opened my 360 cos I'm waiting for the right television.
anyhow thanks again.

also what do you think about this? 999 at sams with a stand
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=HCR4755WX/XAA

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Just go to bb and compair the dlps to plasma to lcd, then think about price and looks, and buy whatever is suitable.[/QUOTE]
thats what I plan on doing. I just want to get other opinions on 720p and 1080i. this is a lot of money for and I want to make the right decision unlike my first decision

graphicv9 stay away from that Toshiba.. That and the Sony tvs have the speakers on the side of the screen and models like that will be very touch to impossable to fit in a large entertainment center if you plan on using one. THat plus the tv repair guy i talked to siad that Toshiba and RCA DLPs sucked.And the worst to work on cause you have to take the whole front apart to just to get the boards from the back out.. so if theres ever a prob those tvs will be takin to the shop for repairs.

That Samsung CRT Rear Projection TV HC-R4755W Is old tech.. Those CRT tvs are the worst and will for sure have burn in probs and uneven picture wear.. WIth that you'll have to stretch a regular 4:3 picture to wide screen unless you want uneven wear after a while.. meaning the 2 sides of the screen will be brighter then the center after some time. There also alot deeper.

Like i said you want a great tv that will last you look no further then the Samsung DLP.. With DLP your picture will look the same in 10 years.. just like new!

Find a Tv that has all the latest HDTV standards.. so yes get a tv that will atlest do 1080i.. Samsung even has newer models that will do 1080p.

The price is just falling every year on DLP.. and soon enough it will be the standard tech.. Hell 2 years ago my 61" cost $5000 retail and now i can get the 71" for the same hehe.. Told my wife that yeah its expensive but its only pennies a day over 10 years.. but i'd love to snag a much updated model in the next year or 2! :)

[quote name='mmn']First of all, LCDs don't burn in, and Plasmas are really, REALLY tough to get burn in on. If you leave the TV paused for an hour on the same image its not going to burn in. The burn in horror stories are mostly just that - stories.

Second of all, bulbs don't go out every 2-3 years, more like 5-7 years.

And I've never heard of an LCD image fading, warping, or getting image burn. Plasmas, I've heard, do lose some image quality after 6 years or so, but they're coming to the point where now they can be fixed.

And by the way, your comment about DLP TVs being HALF the cost of LCDs is ridiculous. Where the hell are you shopping at? LCDs were $600 for a 30 inch on Black Friday. I've never seen a DLP that cheap.[/QUOTE]

I dont know where you got all that info but i do not agree one bit. I've heard of the horror stories and i've seen it as well in store floor models. Even remember showing my wife so she would understand what burn in was.

Yeah i'll give ya that maybe not twice under the price of LCD but it was early in the morning.. was thinking of twice the price under plasma. But i also could of mentioned stuck and dead pixels and that you need to have so many before the warrenty will cover a replacement.

I spent like 2 months easy reading up on everything when i bought my DLP 2 years ago and yes some things might of changed but not by much at all after talking to the tv repair guy and i think he would have a pretty good idea since he deals with everything out there on a daily basis.. and yes his eyes lit up when he was talking about the newest DLP models from Samsung! :)

[quote name='eclypse']I dont know where you got all that info but i do not agree one bit. I've heard of the horror stories and i've seen it as well in store floor models. Even remember showing my wife so she would understand what burn in was.

Yeah i'll give ya that maybe not twice under the price of LCD but it was early in the morning.. was thinking of twice the price under plasma. But i also could of mentioned stuck and dead pixels and that you need to have so many before the warrenty will cover a replacement.

I spent like 2 months easy reading up on everything when i bought my DLP 2 years ago and yes some things might of changed but not by much at all after talking to the tv repair guy and i think he would have a pretty good idea since he deals with everything out there on a daily basis.. and yes his eyes lit up when he was talking about the newest DLP models from Samsung! :)[/QUOTE]

I OWN an LCD and have left it on the same picture for hours on end and have experienced no burn in. So I think I know what I'm talking about as well.

I also have no dead pixels, but if you did buy an LCD at the store and it did have dead pixels, all you'd have to do is take it back and get another one. No big deal.

And a typical LCD's bulb lasts over 50 thousand hours. Its not going to die in 2-3 years.

lcds do not have problems with burn in, if they did they would not be appropriate to use as computer monitors or else you'd have teh start button burned in on millions of screens already. As far as i've read the only downsides to LCDs (depending on brand) are color accuracy, viewing angle, response times and contrast ratios.

the latest generation of plasmas do not have as much trouble with burn in as their predecessors. some of them will even shake the image a bit when it detects a still image to prevent burn in. Plasmas dont leak gas, you dont have recharge them, or anything stupid like that. They say that after 60,000 hours or so the brightness will be about half as bright as when you got it, but that is still usable and lcds have a similar problem with their backlights.

I spent months reading up on tvs at avsforum before buying and while burn in on plasmas was a concern for everyone, i didnt see a single post by anyone who actually had burn in.

edit:
Oh i forgot to address the point someone made about having a built in HD tuner being a downside it is not. An hd tuner by itself costs roughly 200 dollars, taking an input on your tv and another power plug, and forcing you to deal with an entirely seperate interface from your tv which isnt always pretty. It's true that your cable or satelite provider can provide you with a box that will decode their HD feeds but HD channel selection is limited and they compress their hd to squeeze into their bandwidth limitations. having a built in over the air tuner will get you the major networks in uncompressed HD and nearly all prime time shows these days are in HD. Having a built in HD tuner is a must as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='eclypse']Well my advice is to stay away from that tv.. For one it has a built in HD tuner which is a no no since whatever cable provider you go with will give you one.. or if you plan to buy your own your better off since you can upgrade later on down the road.. with that your stuck.

2.. LCDs and Plasma will experiance "Burn in" if you pause the tv for a period of time or play games on it. since your gona play games then by all means go with a DLP TV!

Samsung makes the best DLP tv's bare none and also has the best service and support. My 2 year old 61" Samsung DLP's color wheel was squeeling.. I guess a common prob with my tv model and the tv repair guy told me i made a great desion buying a Samsung DLP since there the only manufacter that will allow them to pre stock parts.. great for me since the replacement color wheel was messed up and he only had to drive right back to the shop and get another and it was all fixed right then.. If i had any other tv then it would of been another 2-3 weeks just to get the tv fixed since they would of had to call the manufacter and get there autherization after they felt what the repair guys idea of what needed fixed what good and then he could order the part. So what only took 3 days to fix after calling them to shedual a service all would of takin weeks with any other tv manufacter.

DLP is a no brainer since its half the cost of LCD and plasma and you get a way bigger picture and the only HDTV out there that wont give you "burn in" so you can use it for gaming or even hook your computer up to it and no worries! Plus the picture is AWESOME!

Dont get a 61" if you dont have a large room.. Grab a 42-50 for a small room.

Your picture will never fade,warp or get uneven burn in or image burn in like other tvs.. It will look the same as day one years later!

Look into it man.. dont just grab a "catch phrase" tv and one that a salesman told you to buy. That plasma will prob last you maybe 1 to 2 years and you'll have to replace the fausfer

oh and i remember seeing an issue about samsung tvs and the original xbox, something about green lines on the screen and some tvs have a kind of image lag for videogames, i suggest you go over to hdtvarcade.com and check it out they're probably more knowledgable about these issues than your average CAGer

Just repeating what i've heard from my tv service repair man.. I'm sure he would know better then most.

If you want to spend a crap load on a small Plasma that will last a few years if that be my guest.. But i liked the idea of having a LARGE screen insted of a small 42" for half the money since i only paid 3500 for mine with a 5 year warrenty. I'd rather spend money on something thats gona last years to come and be the same picture as when i originally bought it.

But if you like your screen to degrade over time and get stuck or dead pixles buy a LCD or a expensive over priced tv (Cause they get small production yeilds) that you might get a good 2 years by the catchy named "Plasma" so you can fit in with the Jones's down the street.

If you want a LARGE screen tv that the whole family can see from any seating position in the room and that will last 10 years+ with a beautiful picture like the first day you got it then by the DLP.

Just trying to help out someone that asked if he made a good buying decision with what i know.. not trying to start some "My tv is better crap" cause we could argue for the rest of our lives if you want to and get no where! Everyone has there opinions and i've shared some facts that i know and you shared what you know or whats in your house.. end of story.

[quote name='Milkyman']oh and i remember seeing an issue about samsung tvs and the original xbox, something about green lines on the screen and some tvs have a kind of image lag for videogames, i suggest you go over to hdtvarcade.com and check it out they're probably more knowledgable about these issues than your average CAGer[/QUOTE]

Never had a problem with my setup period. Might just be fishin for something to trash my DLP but you can try..

ANyone wants to come over and see it in action message me.

[quote name='eclypse']Never had a problem with my setup period. Might just be fishin for something to trash my DLP but you can try..

ANyone wants to come over and see it in action message me.[/QUOTE]

Don't take it so personally, buying an HDTV right now is fucking complex. there are soooo many thing to consider, its not just as easy as "Plasma sux0rs!" I know some samsung tvs show the green lines, i wasnt saying it was even DLP ones because I dont know.

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=910&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

post on the green line issue, there are posts in there about laggy tvs also but i'll leave it to anyone interested to find the threads. When I was choosing my tv i did most of my research at avsforum and looked at hdtvarcade for gaming specific issues.

Research, research, research. That's what you have to do, and what I did before I bought my LCD TV. Stay away from forums, most of the time you will get erroneous info (yeah I know, the irony).

Return that Samsung TV, as it has been stated before it is not HD. Read the labels closely, some manufacturers will use the initials H and D for their non-HDtvs but not capitalized to mislead the buyer.

I suggest you bring your 360 with you when you go to purchase your TV... actually that may be a bad idea during the insane holiday rush... though that would be the best way to test the TV without buying it first. Alternatively you could bring your DVD player and one of your favorite DVDs with you and hooking it up to the screen. Get to learn the TV(s) you are planning to buy. Do not trust your eyes until you are sure the TV is calibrated properly, even if you have to do this yourself. Most likely the high end TVs are calibrated professionally to 'move' the product. At Sam's Club this might not be an issue, but just be aware of it. Also be aware that most, if not all HDtvs will support 1080i and will scale accordingly, but I assume you are looking for an 1080p television. 1080p is true HD spec, and may be harder to come by (and more expensive to boot). I'm not sure of this, but I don't think the 360 supports 1080p officially due to bandwidth issues.

Here's some links that may help you out:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/dlpvsplasmatv.html

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_vs_Plasma3.html

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv.html

i think there is merit in going to forums because you can find issues with specific models that are brought up by people who own them. You have to pick through the garbage posts but the AV nerds at avsforum.com are very informative. its easy to get sucked into paralysis by analysis but better to wait and make an informed decision than to buy something and regret it. and the longer you wait the more affordable it gets!

bread's done
Back